The Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend Thread

Reaction score
I'm looking to do the Kessel Run next year. Do I just need to do the Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland in addition to the Dark Side Challenge that I've already signed up for?

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking to do the Kessel Run next year. Do I just need to do the Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland in addition to the Dark Side Challenge that I've already signed up for?
From the runDisney website:

"runDisney Kessel Run Challenge "Let the Force be with you!" during the Kessel Run Challenge. Take this galactic challenge and earn your Kessel Run Commemorative Medal by participating in either the Star Wars Half Marathon/Rebel Challenge at the Disneyland® Resort and the Star Wars Half Marathon at the Walt Disney World® Resort."

Reaction score
Nice front page article today, Chris! Just a few months to go....

Unfortunately, between catching pneumonia over the summer and a recent bought of illness, I haven't been able to train like I should. Luckily the pacing for the events is a 16-minute mile!

Reaction score
Nice front page article today, Chris! Just a few months to go....

Unfortunately, between catching pneumonia over the summer and a recent bought of illness, I haven't been able to train like I should. Luckily the pacing for the events is a 16-minute mile!
I'm with you. I'm just getting over a bad case of stomach flu and need to get back in pace for the light side half marathon in January and the Dark Side Challenge in April.

Last edited:

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ahh...hope you guys get well soon and can get back to training. It's a lot more fun and enjoyable when your body is prepared. You'll still get those medals though, so that's the important thing. :D

Reaction score
Wow - hard to believe the race weekend is coming up already at Disneyland. I'm surprised the Dark Side race weekend still has open spots except for the 10K.

Reaction score
Btw, for those of you at the event this weekend, Disney posted a link about some of the merchandise from the store inside the Expo. Have to say overall I'm not too keen on the merchandise this year. I guess I'll save my money and spend it on a RC Mouse Droid inside Disneyland! ;-)

I'll be at the Expo on Friday at noon. Can't wait to get there, enjoy a beverage at Trader Sams and hit the parks before doing the Rebel Challenge over the weekend!

Reaction score
I think this weekend was some of the most fun I've ever had as a Star Wars fan, aside from Celebrations. Other than the races and a few days in the parks, I made time for a few other fun excursions:

- D23 tour of the Walt Disney Studios (great chatting with you and Courtney, Chris!)
- A showing of Rogue One at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood

Bring on the Dark Side Weekend in April!

Reaction score
I had a great time there too. Nice chatting up with new friends and my 10K and 1/2 times weren't too bad (I didn't stop for photos). Looking forward to doing the Dark Side challenge in April.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think this weekend was some of the most fun I've ever had as a Star Wars fan, aside from Celebrations. Other than the races and a few days in the parks, I made time for a few other fun excursions:

- D23 tour of the Walt Disney Studios (great chatting with you and Courtney, Chris!)
- A showing of Rogue One at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood

Bring on the Dark Side Weekend in April!
Good to meet you and your brother as well, Devon!

Reaction score
Btw, are there any fellow 'Scummers going to Orlando for the RunDisney Star Was Dark Side 1/2 marathon weekend? I'll be running the 10K and 1/2 that weekend. Let me know! Looking also to finally try out "Secrets of the Empire" at Disney Springs.

Reaction score
My wife and I will be there along with another couple. I'm doing all three, they're doing the 5k and 10k.
I'm pretty sure Chris Wyman will also be there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll be there with my family. I'm doing the 10k and 1/2, my wife is doing the 5k and my kids are doing the kids runs. This is my first and I've wanted to do it for a long time. I'm nervous because I nursing an injury so it will be rough but I'm dertermined to finish. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Reaction score
Early Registration for Annual Passholders is up now for the 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend at the Walt Disney World Resort and General Registration goes up at 10:00am on July 16th.

Full details here: http://rebelscum.com/story/front/ru...l_Run_Weekend_Registration_Details_184587.asp
Hey Chris, how quickly does registration for these runs sell out? My fiancee is training to run them next April, but we aren't Annual Passholders, so I don't know if I'm getting my hopes up for registering her for the runs come July or if they typically sell out prior to being opened to the public.

Also, I know the 2019 runs were cancelled due to the pandemic. Do you know if Disney refunded everyone's money, or was there an option to rll your registration over to 2021 like there is with tickets to San Diego Comic-Con?

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Chris, how quickly does registration for these runs sell out? My fiancee is training to run them next April, but we aren't Annual Passholders, so I don't know if I'm getting my hopes up for registering her for the runs come July or if they typically sell out prior to being opened to the public.

Also, I know the 2019 runs were cancelled due to the pandemic. Do you know if Disney refunded everyone's money, or was there an option to rll your registration over to 2021 like there is with tickets to San Diego Comic-Con?
When these races first started, they sold out very quickly. If you weren't online trying to secure your bibs when they went live, you could easily have missed out. Then, it kind of dropped off and bibs were available for quite some time with some options not even selling out prior to the race weekend. Because this was the 5th Anniversary for the Orlando race weekend, there was likely more excitement than years 2, 3 and 4, but races were still available leading up to the deadline. With no runDisney races taking place until at least September (Disneyland Paris) and November (Disney World), and the fact that those could easily be canceled as well, people may go nuts in 2021 with so few options for 2020. I would recommend being online right at 10:00am when they go live on August 11th for the general public.

All of the 2020 Star Wars races were canceled and everyone was fully refunded including any Pre-Ordered merchandise. There was no option to extend registration into next year. I actually would have preferred that just to not have to deal with it again in a few months, but that's fine.

Reaction score
When these races first started, they sold out very quickly. If you weren't online trying to secure your bibs when they went live, you could easily have missed out. Then, it kind of dropped off and bibs were available for quite some time with some options not even selling out prior to the race weekend. Because this was the 5th Anniversary for the Orlando race weekend, there was likely more excitement than years 2, 3 and 4, but races were still available leading up to the deadline. With no runDisney races taking place until at least September (Disneyland Paris) and November (Disney World), and the fact that those could easily be canceled as well, people may go nuts in 2021 with so few options for 2020. I would recommend being online right at 10:00am when they go live on August 11th for the general public.

All of the 2020 Star Wars races were canceled and everyone was fully refunded including any Pre-Ordered merchandise. There was no option to extend registration into next year. I actually would have preferred that just to not have to deal with it again in a few months, but that's fine.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Christina and I both got registered on day 1, which certainly pleased us, but I'm surprised the races have sold so slowly. I guess folks are concerned that they are going to get cancelled again. Fingers crossed that they don't since this is probably going to the one and only time we will do something this.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Christina and I both got registered on day 1, which certainly pleased us, but I'm surprised the races have sold so slowly. I guess folks are concerned that they are going to get cancelled again. Fingers crossed that they don't since this is probably going to the one and only time we will do something this.
Glad to hear that Roger! We'll have to catch up while you guys are in town.

Agreed. I was surprised how slow things started selling out for the 2021 event. As of now, only the 5k & Kessel Run Challenge (Rival Run Half Marathon & Virtual Half Marathon) are available with everything else sold out, but it certainly went slower than anticipated.

Reaction score
Glad to hear that Roger! We'll have to catch up while you guys are in town.

Agreed. I was surprised how slow things started selling out for the 2021 event. As of now, only the 5k & Kessel Run Challenge (Rival Run Half Marathon & Virtual Half Marathon) are available with everything else sold out, but it certainly went slower than anticipated.
I'd like that Chris. We're coming down the week before and staying at a Disney resort. We won't have a car, but we could maybe meet up at Downto... er, Disney Springs at some point.

Reaction score
I registered for the 10K & 1/2 challenge plus the virtual. It's certainly not the same as earning the true Kessel Run medal as we did in the years past, but it is what it is. Hopefully this race won't get cancelled. Again.