The Official NASCAR Thread (All series)

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since the '06 season is upon us, I think it's time we had a thread dedicated to discussing NASCAR racing. Not just the Nextel Cup, but the Busch Grand National series and the Craftsman Truck series too.

To kick off this thread, I give you an article titled: Toyota to race Cup, Busch beginning in '07.

Article is from Nascar.com
Official Release
January 23, 2006

NASCAR and Toyota announced Monday the manufacturer's plans to expand its racing program by competing in the Nextel Cup and Busch series starting in 2007, fielding the Camry model.

The expansion will follow three years of Toyota competing in the Craftsman Truck Series, and will result in all three of NASCAR's national series having four manufacturers competing, as Toyota will join Chevrolet, Dodge and Ford.

"NASCAR welcomes Toyota to the greatest auto racing in the world," said NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France, who made the announcement at NASCAR's Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C.

"Toyota's entry into the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series and the NASCAR Busch Series is good for drivers, teams and the fans. This move provides for even more intense competition on the track between drivers and manufacturers, which will provide more excitement and fan interest. Toyota's entry also provides more options for drivers and teams, which will increase the competition between manufacturers."

"It's a great pleasure to announce Toyota's entry into the NASCAR Nextel Cup and NASCAR Busch Series with the Toyota Camry," said Dave Illingworth, senior vice president and chief planning and administrative officer for Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

"Next year, 2007, will be a special year for Toyota in more ways than one. Toyota will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in the United States, and we will be joining the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series, America's premier racing series.

"Toyota has been an important part of the U.S. motorsports community for almost 25 years. We've competed and won in different series and on tracks across America. Toyota drivers and teams have won championships in a variety of different series. But, if you want to compete against the best in America, that means NASCAR.

"We look forward to February of 2007 when the green flag waves to start the Daytona 500 and the starting lineup features the Toyota Camry."

Illingworth, who joined France in making the announcement, said more information -- regarding possible sponsor and driver lineups -- will be released Tuesday night, during a media gathering at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord.

This year, Toyota is celebrating its 24th year of participation in American professional auto racing. Toyota drivers and teams have won championships in IMSA, CART, IRL and off-road racing. They have won such historic events as the Rolex 24 at Daytona, the 12 Hours of Sebring, the Baja 1000 and the Indianapolis 500.

Toyota moved into NASCAR in 2000, fielding the Celica model in the Goody's Dash Series. The following season, Robert Huffman gave Toyota its first NASCAR victory, at Kentucky Speedway. In 2003, Huffman gave Toyota its first NASCAR championship by capturing the Goody's Dash title.

In 2004, Toyota entered the Truck Series with the Tundra -- in the process becoming the first new manufacturer in one of NASCAR's top series in more than 50 years. In two seasons of Truck competition, Tundra drivers have recorded 13 victories and 18 poles.

Reaction score
Re: The Official NASCAR Thread.

It will be the same as the other 3 makes, but with a different nose! Toyota will come in and kick the other 3's [censored]. Wait for Honda in 2010.
I'm sure their core fans will be dying to wear Toyota gear!

What's the deal with NASCAR adding a rear wing? Their "car of the future" doesn't have a spoiler, but an adjustable rear wing. Is this becoming some hybrid series?

Also why did they go and ruin sprint car racing? Just to have another support series?

Sorry, but this series is really starting to bore me. I bet I can guess 8 of the 10 Chase contenders, right now! There are only 7 competitive teams, and about 20 cars. They race at cookie cutter tracks at least half the time. 1 1/2 mile ovals (YAWN)

I'd almost rather watch an F1 race.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Newman to step in for busy Edwards in IROC

End-of-season scheduling conflict necessitated change

TINTON FALLS, N.J. -- Crown Royal International Race of Champions officials have announced that due to schedule conflict Ryan Newman will replace Carl Edwards in the 2006 Crown Royal IROC Series representing the Nextel Cup Series.

The finale for IROC is scheduled to take place on Saturday, Oct. 28 at Atlanta Motor Speedway, where the Nextel Cup Series races on Sunday, Oct. 29. Edwards is running both Nextel Cup and the Busch Series, and Busch has a race scheduled on Oct. 28 at Memphis Motorsports Park.

Thus, the change had to be made.

Newman joins five other NASCAR competitors in the 12-man IROC field: Defending IROC champion Mark Martin, Nextel Cup champion Tony Stewart and Matt Kenseth from Nextel Cup, 2005 Busch Series champion Martin Truex Jr. and 2005 Craftsman Truck Series champion Ted Musgrave.

The other six competitors include ARCA RE/MAX Series champion Frank Kimmel; World of Outlaws champ Steve Kinser; Grand-American Rolex Series co-champs Max Angelelli and Wayne Taylor, who will each run two races; fellow Grand-Am racer Max Papis; and Indy car drivers Sam Hornish Jr. and Scott Sharp.

Reaction score

kirklondon said:
They race at cookie cutter tracks at least half the time. 1 1/2 mile ovals (YAWN)
I hear that. I'd like a couple more road races, or short tracks myself. NASCAR should actually add some different tracks in the Chase. It would be nice to have one of the road races, or a short track (maybe Bristol!) added. It seems like most of the races in the 'Chase' are these lame 1 1/2 cookie cutters.

Long live Tony Stewart!

Reaction score

First, I am an admitted open-wheel fan/homer. I enjoy going to NASCAR races, I still follow the sport, and I still watch it most Sundays. The sport is just frustrating me in many ways.

Road courses and short tracks are too unpredictable to have in the Chase. The #8's of the series would be at a huge disadvantage w/ a road course in the Chase. Short tracks, just about anything can happen. Which is why I enjoy those the best in this series.

In a way it is too bad NAPCAR is as big as it is. If the huge $$$$ wasn't there we could see the drivers with REAL talent in different series/races. Like the old days when AJ Foyt/Mario ran every big race in the world. Could you imagine Tony Stewart in F1, or Jeff Gordon in the Indy 500? I know they could be good b/c they have racing talent, and not just in the ones with fenders!

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

There is actually only five out of ten races in the Chase that are 1.5 mile tracks which include Lowe's Motorspeedway, Kansas Speedway, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway and Miami-Homestead Speedway. The other five are Martinsville Speedway - .526 miles, Talladega Superspeedway - 2.66 miles, New Hampshire International Speedway - 1.058 miles, Dover International Speedway - 1.00 mile and Phoenix International Raceway - 1.00 miles.

I do agree that there should be at least one road course and at least one more short track in there. Why not Bristol? They race there twice a year, so just push the second race date back two months. I think eventually we will see the races in the Chase change. I mean...did we ever think Nascar Winston Cup would be the Nextel Cup series with a playoff style championship? Changes are going to happen regardless of what we do or do not want. Let's just hope that Brian France doesn't continue to make changes as big as he's already made to the sport.

Just for the record, I would love to see Jeff race in the Indy 500 or any other form of motorsports for that matter. Everyone knows he's an amazing driver, but sadly...with the way the schedule for the Cup series is, that will not happen as Jeff has said before. It sure would be fun to watch though.

Reaction score

Smoke has raced in the 500. I think he finished in 3rd that year. I think that road courses show the true skills of racers; downshifting, right turns, up hills, the "S's." Money is a big factor, which is why teams like Roush, JGR, RYR, RCR, and Gordons team (I can't believe I'm drawing a blank!) do so well. And the small 1 car teams like BAM motorsports and the Wood brothers don't have a chance. It's not fair. NASCAR should make it manditory to have at least a 2 car team, and give the smallere 1 car teams some incentive to merge with one another.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

BobaDEC said:
Money is a big factor, which is why teams like Roush, JGR, RYR, RCR, and Gordons team (I can't believe I'm drawing a blank!) do so well.
Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch, Brian Vickers and Terry Labonte all drive for Hendrick Motorsports (HMS) in the NASCAR Nextel Cup series.

Reaction score

Ok guys, who's going to be the Rookie of the Year? My vote goes to Denny Hamlin. I'm also saying that Biffle takes the cup this year.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

BobaDEC said:
Ok guys, who's going to be the Rookie of the Year? My vote goes to Denny Hamlin. I'm also saying that Biffle takes the cup this year.
Well, there is a great list of guys that are contending this year.

Martin Truex Jr.
Reed Sorenson
Denny Hamlin
Clint Bowyer
David Stremme
J.J. Yeley
Brent Sherman

I think Martin Truex Jr. and Clint Bowyer will be very strong contenders as well as Denny Hamlin. Reed Sorenson will also do well.

Of course, Jeff Gordon will win the Championship this year too.

Reaction score

I'll have to admit, it was a toss up between Sorenson and Hamlin. I think Truex Jr. will inherit DEIs woes from last year. He's a great racer and all, but I just think that something is still wrong with the whole DEI program. JGR has 2 rookies this year, who would've thought Tony would have to be a mentor to someone other than Danny Lasoski.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

BobaDEC said:
I'll have to admit, it was a toss up between Sorenson and Hamlin. I think Truex Jr. will inherit DEIs woes from last year. He's a great racer and all, but I just think that something is still wrong with the whole DEI program. JGR has 2 rookies this year, who would've thought Tony would have to be a mentor to someone other than Danny Lasoski.
Yeah, I see Truex doing well in some races, but I think you're right about the whole DEI problem. He might struggle through the year having good weekends, but not consistantly. The more I thought about that, the more I agreed with you.

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score

I'm going out on a limb here and going to say:

Clint Bowyer will be ROY

and...........

Kevin Harvick will be the Nextel Cup Series Champion, just like his predecessor Dale Earnhart Sr.

Childress Racing is making a comeback this year, even Burton will have a few wins!

Go RCR!

Mike (Can't tell I'm a Harvick fan, can ya?!)

Reaction score

Bowyer is on RCR in the #7 JD Chevy this year. He would've been better off driving For BAM Motorsports.
Bowyer and Harvick will do ok, they won't make the chase though. Harvick is too agressive. He'll just assume wreck you, then let you pass him. I think he needs to attend some of Tony Stewarts anger management classes. Burtons good, I really like the guy, both of them actually. But I don't think he'll do that great, Harvick owns the spotlight on that team.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

It really is sad that RCR hasn't done much of anything since Dale died. It's like the whole organization just fell apart after he was gone. Sure they've won a few races, but they haven't been in the hunt for a championship in years. I hope they do well this year, but I don't see them doing much better than the last few years. Burton and Harvick will win a race or two perhaps. Bowyer has what it takes, but who knows what he can do in the #7 car. Only time will tell.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Just 14 days, 00 hours, 55 minutes and 56 seconds to the Daytona 500! I can't wait to get there. I'll be leaving for Daytona next Friday for the Bud Shootout and qualifying for the 500 and then heading back over there on the 16th for the beginning of speed weeks. This is going to be a great year...I have foreseen it.

Reaction score

You're going to Daytona?!?!?! That's it, I'm jealous. This weekend is the Bud Shootout. Can't wait!

Reaction score

Chris Wyman said:
Just 14 days, 00 hours, 55 minutes and 56 seconds to the Daytona 500! I can't wait to get there. I'll be leaving for Daytona next Friday for the Bud Shootout and qualifying for the 500 and then heading back over there on the 16th for the beginning of speed weeks. This is going to be a great year...I have foreseen it.
Here's an article I thought you might find interesting (if you haven't already read it):

Gordon focused on next title, not seventh

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Darth_Rayne said:
Chris Wyman said:
Here's an article I thought you might find interesting (if you haven't already read it):

Gordon focused on next title, not seventh
Yes, I'm going to Daytona. This is my fun. These are the only trips I take all year long. I wait for the Daytona 500, Pepsi 400 and the UAW-Ford 500 at Talladega every year. Of course, going to Daytona isn't much of a trip since I live here in Florida. It does cost a lot of money though, so I consider it a vacation.

Thanks for that article too. I hadn't read that yet.

Reaction score

I just got my tickets for the Watkin Glen race yesterday. Awesome! I love that track, I'm a big fan of road courses. I will also be turning 30 the day of the race. What a cool birthday present! My wife keeps bothering me about turning " the big 3-0." Ugh.

Reaction score

BobaDEC said:
I just got my tickets for the Watkin Glen race yesterday. Awesome! I love that track, I'm a big fan of road courses. I will also be turning 30 the day of the race. What a cool birthday present! My wife keeps bothering me about turning " the big 3-0." Ugh.
I've always wanted to go see the race at Watkins Glen. It's not that far of a drive, but I've just never gotten around to doing it. One of these years, I'll go.
And don't worry about turning 30. I went through it last year, and it's not a big deal ... especially for those of us who still collect toys.

How old is your wife? My wife wasn't able to give me any [censored] about turning 30 because she did the year before me.

Reaction score

My wife is only 26, so she has the upper hand there. It's about a 3 hour trip to get to Watkins Glen. Mapquest is sending us there via I-88. I'm thinking it would be easier to go via I-90 though. I'm trying to make plans to stay at a Bed & Breakfast out there: http://www.tudorrosebnb.com/

Reaction score

Dark_Kanos said:
yawn yawn I say to this.
Cool ... then there will be absolutely no reason whatsoever for you to post in this thread again.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Darth_Rayne said:
Dark_Kanos said:
yawn yawn I say to this.
Cool ... then there will be absolutely no reason whatsoever for you to post in this thread again.
Well said Darth_Rayne! Why anyone would ever click on a topic they aren't interested in is beyond me, furthermore...why anyone would actually post in that thread is even more amazing.

The Drive For Five Is Alive - Go Jeff Gordon!

Reaction score

I have a feeling that jeffie is going to become more aquainted with the Safety barriers this year.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

BobaDEC said:
I have a feeling that jeffie is going to become more aquainted with the Safety barriers this year.
Haha...very funny.
For real though, I think Jeff and his new crew chief are going to be contending for wins on a weekly basis just like the old days. He will make the Chase this year and be there at the end contending for his fifth championship. I have foreseen it.

Reaction score

BobaDEC said:
Only if Tony Stewart continues to try and crash him into them.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Darth_Rayne said:
BobaDEC said:
Hopefully Jeff will be in front of Tony all season, so there will be no running Jeff into the wall this year.

Reaction score

Darth_Rayne said:
BobaDEC said:
I'm betting on it.
I don't think Jeffs crew cheif will make a difference. I still can't believe Loomis left. I don't think Loomis will do much for Petty Enterprises either. Yeah, he's a great crew cheif, but the sun has set on Petty Enterprises. I think that Kyle will hang up his hat after this season, as will Jarrett. I'm not sure if jeff will be in the Chase this year. There's so many good young drivers out there now. Plus these guys are fearless. Even i you just consider the rookies from the past 4 years; there's the Busch brothers, Johnson, Newman, Edwardsm Truex Jr. The field is stocked with talent now. It'll be a fun season.

Reaction score

Here's the schedule:

02/11/06 Budweiser Shootout Daytona International Speedway TNT/8 p.m.

02/16/06 Gatorade Duel 1 Daytona International Speedway TNT/2 p.m.

02/16/06 Gatorade Duel 2 Daytona International Speedway TNT/--

02/19/06 Daytona 500 Daytona International Speedway NBC/1:30 p.m.

02/26/06 Auto Club 500 California Speedway FOX/3:30 p.m. MRN/--

03/12/06 UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400 Las Vegas Motor Speedway FOX/4 p.m.

03/19/06 Golden Corral 500 Atlanta Motor Speedway
FOX/1 p.m.

03/26/06 Food City 500 Bristol Motor Speedway
FOX/1:30 p.m.

04/02/06 Virginia 500 Martinsville Speedway

04/09/06 Samsung/RadioShack 500 Texas Motor Speedway FOX/1:30 p.m.

04/22/06 Subway Fresh 500 Phoenix International Raceway FOX/8 p.m.

04/30/06 Aaron's 499 Talladega Superspeedway

05/06/06 TBA Richmond International Raceway
FX/7 p.m.

05/13/06 Dodge Charger 500 Darlington Raceway
FOX/6:30 p.m.

05/20/06 NASCAR Nextel All-Star Challenge Lowe's Motor Speedway FX/7 p.m.

05/28/06 Coca-Cola 600 Lowe's Motor Speedway
FOX/5 p.m.

06/04/06 MBNA 400 Dover International Speedway
FX/1:30 p.m.

06/11/06 Pocono 500 Pocono Raceway

06/18/06 Michigan 400 Michigan International Speedway
FOX/1 p.m.

06/25/06 Dodge/Save Mart 350 Infineon Raceway
FOX/3 p.m.

07/01/06 Pepsi 400 Daytona International Speedway
FOX/7:30 p.m.

07/09/06 USG Sheetrock 400 Chicagoland Speedway
TNT/3 p.m.

07/16/06 New England 300 New Hampshire International Speedway TNT/1:30 p.m.

07/23/06 Pennsylvania 500 Pocono Raceway TNT/1:30 p.m.

08/06/06 Allstate 400 at the Brickyard Indianapolis Motor Speedway NBC/2 p.m.

08/13/06 TBA Watkins Glen International NBC/1 p.m.

08/20/06 GFS Marketplace 400 Michigan International Speedway TNT/2 p.m.

08/26/06 Sharpie 500 Bristol Motor Speedway TNT/7 p.m.

09/03/06 Sony HD 500 California Speedway NBC/7 p.m.

09/09/06 Chevy Rock & Roll 400 Richmond International Raceway TNT/7 p.m.

09/17/06 Sylvania 300 New Hampshire International Speedway TNT/12:30 p.m.

09/24/06 Dover 400 Dover International Speedway
TNT/12:30 p.m.

10/01/06 Banquet 400 presented by ConAgra Foods Kansas Speedway NBC/1:30 p.m.

10/08/06 UAW-Ford 500 Talladega Superspeedway NBC/1:30 p.m.

10/14/06 Bank of America 500 Lowe's Motor Speedway
NBC/7 p.m.

10/22/06 Subway 500 Martinsville Speedway NBC/12:30 p.m.

10/29/06 Bass Pro Shops MBNA 500 Atlanta Motor Speedway NBC/2:30 p.m.

11/05/06 Dickies 500 Texas Motor Speedway NBC/2:30 p.m.

11/12/06 Checker Auto Parts 500 Phoenix International Raceway NBC/3 p.m.

11/19/06 Ford 400 Homestead-Miami Speedway NBC/2 p.m.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Alright, I am in Daytona! The starting line up for the Bud Shootout is as follows:

1. Ken Schrader
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Tony Stewart
4. Joe Nemechek
5. Kasey Kahne
6. Elliott Sadler
7. Ryan Newman
8. Scott Riggs
9. Dale Jarrett
10. Jeff Gordon
11. Carl Edwards
12. Bill Elliott
13. Mark Martin
14. Kyle Busch
15. Denny Hamlin
16. Matt Kenseth
17. Jamie McMurray
18. Kevin Harvick
19. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
20. Brian Vickers
21. Michael Waltrip

You can see the Bud Shootout live on TNT at 8:00pm (Eastern) tomorrow night. Keep your eyes on the #24 car!

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Well, after sitting in the rain for quite some time, they finally gave up and called the Bud Shootout. They will try again tomorrow at 4:00pm (Eastern). The ARCA race will be at 9:00am and Bud Pole Qualifying for the Daytona 500 will be at 12:00pm.

Reaction score

kirklondon said:
It will be the same as the other 3 makes, but with a different nose! Toyota will come in and kick the other 3's [censored]. Wait for Honda in 2010.
I'm sure their core fans will be dying to wear Toyota gear!
I agree 100 Percent! Great reply. I totally agree, although I do collect some older Nascar diecast and other stuff, the new stuff is sucky!
What's the deal with NASCAR adding a rear wing? Their "car of the future" doesn't have a spoiler, but an adjustable rear wing. Is this becoming some hybrid series?

Also why did they go and ruin sprint car racing? Just to have another support series?

Sorry, but this series is really starting to bore me. I bet I can guess 8 of the 10 Chase contenders, right now! There are only 7 competitive teams, and about 20 cars. They race at cookie cutter tracks at least half the time. 1 1/2 mile ovals (YAWN)

I'd almost rather watch an F1 race.

Reaction score

Looks like the 24 is going to start in the first row. Great 2nd lap by the Dupont Chevy team... Congrats to the 31, RCR and Jeff Burton for an awesome run to the pole.

Reaction score

I'd bet my bottom dollar that burton won't be there at the end of the race.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Yikes, Jimmie Johson and Terry Labonte had their qualifying runs taken away. That's really to bad.

On a happier note, thank the maker....Jeff Gordon is on the front row. This will be his best starting spot in the 500 in quite some time.

I hope that Jeff Burton does well, but if recent history is anything to go buy, he will get left behind quick. We'll see though. I think Jeff Gordon will have the lead by the first lap.

Reaction score

Chris Wyman said:
I hope that Jeff Burton does well, but if recent history is anything to go buy, he will get left behind quick. We'll see though. I think Jeff Gordon will have the lead by the first lap.
I second that one. I'm willing to bet that Gordon leads for awhile. It all depends on who he has drafting him. What about Denny Hamlin? I'm glad that I finally convinced my brother to include Rookies in our NASCAR pool this year. Hopefully Yeley is as good as he is, I don't have a great feeling about Yeley though. Great race though, lots of bumping (how did they now wreck?), no single file racing, and lots of 36 wide. Daytona's going to be crazy this year. Sorry about Gordon, Chris, that's what happens when you get stuck behind the impatient guys. McMurray and Kyle Busch need to calm down.