the new droid in Episode IX is pretty much just a hair dryer on a unicycle

Reaction score
the new D-O droid in Episode IX is pretty much just part of a hair dryer attached to a stupid mini unicycle.

Reaction score
Kind of a neat droid with dog influence in it's look. Don't see how it's that different than R2 droids basically being trashcans or gonk droids being a box with legs. C-3PO is a blatant ripoff of the Metropolis robot.

Reaction score
^^^ If you’re genuinely honest and actually can’t differentiate between great designs like Artoo and Threepio taking inspiration from a “trashcan” and Maria, but completely evolved into such a visionary signature all their own-- and this dumb thing that is literally a cone on wheels… then I don’t know what to say to you.

patrickdurfee: The design standards couldn’t stoop any lower. Lazy designs befitting a lazy Sequel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
well not only do we have a new droid made from beach volleyballs, we now have another dumb new droid for Episode IX which is D-0 thats hair dryer attached to a frikkin mini unicycle.

Reaction score
But im pretty sure the old Dark Horse Star Wars Republic comic book series probably had a few new droids that were stinkers and looked dumb also

Reaction score
Every park I ever went to as a kid literally had trashcans painted up as R2-D2 and my family moved A LOT when I was a kid.

Reaction score
Yup, terrible, terrible design. K-2SO was a fantastic concept, a little like Marvin on steroids. Now we have two droids that just beep and whistle, how are they going to play off of each other? Yes, I am all for visual comedy, but in a reasonable manner. Chopper was the last cool droid design who did not speak.

Reaction score
Bucket in Resistance was kinda cool.

Idk I like BB-8 and those BB unit droids. I don't see the issue with this hair dryer guy. We had a lot of different droids in the OT. This little guy would fit right in it seems.

Reaction score
But im pretty sure the old Dark Horse Star Wars Republic comic book series probably had a few new droids that were stinkers and looked dumb also
Every single design from comics/EU is dumb.

But in their defense, comics/Dark Horse does not have the privilege of an entire art department dedicated to the design of ships/creatures/droids/costumes as the films do. They’re working on a much tighter deadline, with a fraction of the films' budget. So they’re forgiven for their hammy, uninspired designs. And it's comics: It's sort of meant to be dumb fun.

Of course there are tacky, "dumb" designs from the OT: A giant praying mantis in a skirt and a 3-foot tall rat in a robe aren’t exactly visionary designs .. But they’re relegated to the background as extras with less than half a second of screentime. There’s absolutely no excuse for the designs of this Sequel being so lazily derivative of the OT’s— and that’s them being at their best. At their worst, and when they’re doing their own thing, this dumb thing is what they went with— and gets a highlighted spot in the very first teaser LOL

Reaction score
Well I mean...droids are created to serve a purpose. They're made with a function in mind. Protocol droids are interpreters and servants, Gonk droids are essentially walking batteries, Battle Droids are soldiers, IG Droids are assassins, Mouse droids were essentially mail carrying messengers, Probe droids are used for recon, Medical Droids are essentially doctors, etc. Now frankly, BB units have a design that immediately made me question the engineering already. How will it get up stairs, how will it get down stairs, what about water, what if it can't get traction, etc? Now while they did answer this in the film, sort of, the fact that BB-8 can essentially pull a Spider-Man web swing always seemed to be a bit convoluted to me. Plus depending on environment, that wouldn't always work. Wouldn't a more practical and streamlined design like, I don't know...a freak normal Astro...be more cost effective and efficient? But...whatever...it's a cute aesthetic, because clearly the design was made to sell toys, and I suppose its functionality is to act as a more contemporary updated Astromech? I could...roll...with it. See what I did there? I hated what they did with him in The Last Jedi however. It was...too much. The slot-machine gun and the AT-ST were PURE cringe! I thought the AT-ST was going to reveal DJ, heroic after all, but when it's revealed to be BB-8 I actually hid my face in my hands out of pure shame. I know he can swing like Spider-Man, but now he basically IS a superhero?! Wha?!

So here's my issue with D-0. It's an even more simplistic design that a BB unit, basically a technological soccer ball, but I can't see how this thing would be practical or what its function would be. If this thing tipped, it would be like a turtle. What is its purpose? It feels like a stone age droid. Have they actually explained WHAT its function is? Because honestly, if its backstory is that it IS an outdated and abandoned model from a junk-pile, a sort of Island of Misfit Toys theme, I could go with that. Maybe it's the prototype for the first BB unit ever!? That would make sense in context of the design then and I could buy into it, but that's about the only way I can go with it. I'm just trying to find some justifications, if any, that might excuse the design.

I just thought of something funny. The design does almost reek of toy, it just doesn't scream any practical function. What if D-O is an "entertainment" droid, as in, what if he's LITERALLY a toy IN the film. That would be a new low in a franchise full of selling out for merch low points.

Of course there are tacky, "dumb" designs from the OT: A giant praying mantis in a skirt and a 3-foot tall rat in a robe aren’t exactly visionary designs .. But they’re relegated to the background as extras with less than half a second of screentime. There’s absolutely no excuse for the designs of this Sequel being so lazily derivative of the OT’s— and that’s them being at their best. At their worst, and when they’re doing their own thing, this dumb thing is what they went with— and gets a highlighted spot in the very first teaser LOL
Well I mean, I think aliens are easier to excuse as they don't have the onus of having their creation be FOR a function. They're organic. So I think the B-Movie shlock aliens are both a sort of fun tribute to old low-budget science-fiction but also just easier to swallow. I mean I even have issues with Battle Droid comedy, even when it's explicit they were created as soldiers and for soldier purposes (security, pilot, commander, etc), but it doesn't add up that they have cartoonish comedic aspects as, well, they'd have to have been PROGRAMMED that way! Why would you program a BATTLE droid with a sense of humor or ineptness? Of course you could argue they weren't working with high grade tech, maybe a lot were defective, but still. Battle droid humor annoyed me. Plus yes, the really bad alien designs (though I find them charming at times) are relegated to background roles. They often get mere seconds of screen time and have no relevance to the plot. With a droid though, you have to explain WHY this thing exists because it's mechanically created with a set operation and task in mind.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ You’re overthinking and too technical-minded… BB-8’s sole purpose is to be “cute”, as is likely this new one. And admittedly, BB-8 is cute. These things are designed to sell. But I just don’t think kids care for him— nor SW to be buying up his toy.

The best of SW designs, whether that’s in the ships/droids/creatures/costumes succeeded because of their rich and cultural references and how one subconsciously interprets them upon first impression, without the reliance on supplementary material to explain their functions or form. And in someone like Oola, she works so ingenuously She’s straightup inspired by S&M/B&D getups LOL But 2yo me was just intrigued by this pretty but sad bright green creature in her cool black costume. She’s the perfect example of sly subversion that works for kids and adults (cuz adult-me got the S&M/B&D references, as I’m sure the dads in the audience did in 83…). As for a mechanical design, that bounty hunter 4-LOM left an impression on me for his creepy, sinister familiarity to Threepio— but he has this mechanical insect-like head. I didn’t and don't care what his EU-backstory was. It was enough that he was a bounty hunter and he looked that way. Show and don’t tell.

Even if Artoo may have been inspired by a “trash can”, his design evolved in such a clever and unique way as to become a part of the design history: devil's in the details, and all that. Just like apparently, the Falcon was inspired by a burger and side of pickle. And look how it evolved to. There’s creative thought and unbridled imagination in these great designs. This dumb D-0 thing however— it’s literally just a first-draft cone on wheels, like a cheap Wall-E knick0off., so not even unique. So lazy.

Reaction score
Doug Chiang spoke about the evolution of design at SWCC. Very interesting, very much what is being discussed in this thread and well worth a listen - you can find it on YT.
Starts off with a bit of Doug's backstory, then around the 15 min. mark is where it begins to get interesting.

Reaction score
R2 wasn't that functional in design either. Somehow he's able to traverse sand with no problem despite having tiny wheels on his feet. He got around Endor despite that not being a flat terrain and is covered in vegetation.

The sooner people realize that Star Wars isn't science fiction the better.

Reaction score
Doug Chiang spoke about the evolution of design at SWCC. Very interesting, very much what is being discussed in this thread and well worth a listen - you can find it on YT.
Starts off with a bit of Doug's backstory, then around the 15 min. mark is where it begins to get interesting.
Thanks Oofa— I read your name as Oola on first glimpse LOOOL

I cannot stress often enough how the principles and concept of form meeting function is applied so masterfully and with such amazing creative restraint in the designs of TPM: It’s such a triumph of film design. The excitement and adoration I have for the designs of TPM can’t be expressed enough in words. It’s a genuine visceral experience that is still as fresh and inspiring to me 20 years later on. I could sit there endlessly listening and watching Doug talk about his design process for this film. The team of Doug, Ian and Trisha are such worthy heirs to Ralph, Joe and John for their work in this film.

I was gutted when George conceded to TPM-bashing and pandered to a campy, kitschy and more accessible sensibility with AOTC. AOTC (and ROTS) look nothing like the meticulously-designed worlds of TPM. Shame.

Reaction score

I cannot stress often enough how the principles and concept of form meeting function is applied so masterfully and with such amazing creative restraint in the designs of TPM: It’s such a triumph of film design. The excitement and adoration I have for the designs of TPM can’t be expressed enough in words. It’s a genuine visceral experience that is still as fresh and inspiring to me 20 years later on. I could sit there endlessly listening and watching Doug talk about his design process for this film. The team of Doug, Ian and Trisha are such worthy heirs to Ralph, Joe and John for their work in this film.

I was gutted when George conceded to TPM-bashing and pandered to a campy, kitschy and more accessible sensibility with AOTC. AOTC (and ROTS) look nothing like the meticulously-designed worlds of TPM. Shame.
You're welcome, it's sort of a phonetic pronunciation of my real name (at least how English speaking people say it) and yet it sounds a bit star warsy ;)
Yes, I love it too. Like you I could listen to him talk about that for a lot longer than an hour.

Reaction score

I mean, at the end of the day, among the best aspects of the prequels are the designs. I will agree, TPM is light-years ahead of the other two when it comes to them. It's so unique and different even among the other prequels.

I still enjoyed some designs from AOTC's, but some just didn't land with me. I think the best visuals in Clones are on Coruscant. Seeing the seedy underbelly was cool. While I don't particularly like the speeder chase sequence, I ADORE the visuals. It's got a very cyber punk Bladerunner feel. Dexter Jettster and the 50's diner in space is just pure cringe to me. I'm sort of 50/50 on Kamino. I quite like the idea of a water-themed planet, just most of the interiors are very cold and sterile. I suppose that's the point, making it feel somewhat medical, but just didn't overly impress me. So I like Kamino, but it's not a favorite of mine either. The Geonosis stuff sort of delved into 50's sci-fi B-movie styles. I never cared for a LOT of the Separatists themselves as well as their droids and ships. It's not that I think they're too goofy, I can enjoy goofy, it's just the designs were sort of lame IMO. The Geonosians themselves look too, I don't know, cliche Ray Harryhausen bug people. But I will say, I LOVE the arena monsters, even if the Acklay is basically just a bug from Starship Troopers. Fun fact: the audio used for the Acklay actually literally IS the same sound they used for the warrior bugs in Starship Troopers. The film has a lot more recycling or generic designs though. The clone army is, essentially, just a variant on stormtrooper armor. Jango is basically just a pallet swapped Boba Fett with a few new bits added. Dooku, while one of the better characters in the prequels IMO, does admittedly have a rather bland costume. I know the point was to make him appear regal, but it just doesn't pop. The Slave 1 literally is just a color swap. But for me, perhaps laziest of all, is the Jedi starfighter. It's honestly something a kid could have come up with out of Lego. Even the planet Geonosis is somewhat lazy, just very akin to Tatooine. I know it's thematically supposed to be a rock planet, not a desert planet, but it's just very similar. It's a mixed bag when it comes to design work IMO, a far cry from TPM, where I loved practically EVERY design.

But the worst offended, for me, is Revenge of the Sith. None of the new designs stood out to me save MAYBE Grievous himself and the Utapaun leader who's unfortunately on screen for like 30 seconds. It's not that the film is badly designed, it's just I found a lot of them boring. They weren't as eye-catching IMO.

Reaction score
The PT was so much fun. For anyone that still likes to hate on TPM go watch The Beginning documentary and tell us that you can't appreciate how much love and care went into those movies.

AOTC is one of my favorite films in the Saga.

Even to this day the best of the Disney movies came from the minds of the PT crew (Knoll, Chiang, etc)

Reaction score
The PT was so much fun. For anyone that still likes to hate on TPM go watch The Beginning documentary and tell us that you can't appreciate how much love and care went into those movies.

AOTC is one of my favorite films in the Saga.

Even to this day the best of the Disney movies came from the minds of the PT crew (Knoll, Chiang, etc)
Well I mean...ah...I'll say I like the John Williams scores and the design work and world expanding (as a generalized concept) for a lot of them. Unfortunately for me, that's...about all I like. :|

Reaction score
I mean, at the end of the day, among the best aspects of the prequels are the designs. I will agree, TPM is light-years ahead of the other two when it comes to them. It's so unique and different even among the other prequels..
As a trilogy, the OT-designs still reigns supreme (Ewoks and the Endor battle cheapened and weakened that solid streak of design vision). Than it’s TPM, followed by RO. There are a few decent designs with AOTC and ROTS, but nowhere near TPM with its consistently solid offering. Even TFA has that crimson armoured pirate and BB-8. I can’t think of a single decent design in TLJ LOOOL

And the design-worldbuidling of TPM makes social/political evolution sense in context to the OT. Whereas this Sequel makes absolutely no sense. You’d think after a generation of what would be the equivalent to our Dark Age in AGFFA, there would be a surge of renaissance in culture and art, with the Sequel era’s design aesthetic vastly different from the OT's… Kathy/JJ/Rian are so creatively-stunted and too hopelessly-corporate they can only think of parroting the cashcow-OT— both in story and aesthetic. It makes no sense that the design of this Sequel era would still be he same as the OT’s.

Reaction score
Every single design from comics/EU is dumb.

Not entirely. Blanket statements often come form the uninformed. But if you're aware of every single Droid design from all sources, then I would say this is simply your opinion.
T3-M4 and HK-47 don't depart too much from what we see on the OT. So they're no more dumb, that any other aspect of Star Wars.

Reaction score
Not entirely. Blanket statements often come form the uninformed. But if you're aware of every single Droid design from all sources, then I would say this is simply your opinion.
T3-M4 and HK-47 don't depart too much from what we see on the OT. So they're no more dumb, that any other aspect of Star Wars.
Agreed. HK-47 is a great design.

Reaction score
The sequel trilogy is the most unpleasant for me of all that happened with star wars

Reaction score
It's amazing of how the known Sequel universe,after the Empire) has returned to the Dark Ages! unless I'm senile, what happened to Coruscant? how could a whole Empire full of technology and culture go to pot?(even after only 18 years worth) Yes, Dio looks like a blow dryer on a wheel, but is sort of cute. but aren't a lot of his mechanisms computer generated? compared to the OT, real working droids? That's why the original movie won those Oscars. Will any of the ST be up for awards? effects are becoming very common place-computer generated.

Reaction score
It's amazing of how the known Sequel universe,after the Empire) has returned to the Dark Ages! unless I'm senile, what happened to Coruscant? how could a whole Empire full of technology and culture go to pot?(even after only 18 years worth) Yes, Dio looks like a blow dryer on a wheel, but is sort of cute. but aren't a lot of his mechanisms computer generated? compared to the OT, real working droids? That's why the original movie won those Oscars. Will any of the ST be up for awards? effects are becoming very common place-computer generated.
....what? ...that's, that's all over the place.

Reaction score
Hm.

Now I'm senile after trying to decipher this.

Reaction score
Good point. “Droids” are a lot easier to render and produce when they’re CGI-reliant. But I suspect just like BB, this thing is likely a real working “droid”. It’s very 4th-grade science fair looking so can’t be that hard to realize.

I get that JJ harps on being pro-models (cuz research shows that fans were tired of CGI and wanted model/props/puppets and he's all about pandering to popular opinion, that JJ), but I’ll take well-designed droids like the Droideka, Battledroid, Vulture Droid and K2 that may be all-CGI, but looks so much more striking to a cone on wheel, any day.

Reaction score
D-O looks like something that a 2 year old kid would actually make.

what's next? a hammer attached to a tank?
You been watching Robot Wars? Because skilled engineers make those.

Lets pretend that robotic engineers aren’t impressed and inspired by the designs and intricate physics/maths it takes to accomplish such things. I mean, who ever did SW designs ever inspire? Stick to hating on the trilogy by referring to 2 year olds. Where you mad at black Stormtroopers too? And feminazi general Leia?

Anyway, 2 year olds.

Reaction score
After looking at DO again, he looks like he has a pop cup(like the kind in a theater!)for a head! he may have been put together by a special effects person as they were watching TLJ! but, who knows, DO may end up being a heart breaker little droid! -like BB-8.