The Music Thread - What's on? Song of the day? etc

Reaction score
Saw Colony House live last night...got to visit briefly with 'em behind the venue, and got a pic with.

So, lots of CH tunes playing today.

Reaction score
Not much of a Weeknd fan, but I've been really digging his collaborations with Daft Punk, Starboy and I Can Feel it Coming.

Reaction score
After his jaw dropping performance on SNL: Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth.

Reaction score
"Over" - Kings Of Leon

This very well may be one of the best songs they ever recorded. ****ing amazing.

Reaction score
Survivor - The Burning Heart - good workout song and a great way to start the day off. I'm pumped and ready to tackle Wednesday

Reaction score
2 more albums of the day:

thanks to Aidan_C I decided to listen to Queen: The Miracle (love this Album) and Queen: Innuendo

Reaction score
2 more albums of the day:

thanks to Aidan_C I decided to listen to Queen: The Miracle (love this Album) and Queen: Innuendo
I love Queen and have all their albums but have never listened to them all the way through. Thanks to you two, I'm queuing them up and won't listen to anything else (at least, not at my PC) until I get through them.

I started with News of the World just because it was the first one that popped up. Great album! "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" are the highlights, naturally, but there are some other really strong songs on there, including "Sheer Heart Attack" and "My Melancholy Blues."

I'm now going through them chronologically, starting with 1973's Queen. "Keep Yourself Alive" was the only real hit off the album, but "Jesus" is one of my favorite Queen songs. I'll see how the rest of the album is, but "Doing All Right" sounds pretty great so far.

Reaction score
With the exception of the Flash Gordon Soundtrack, I got through my Queen-athon this morning (I'll listen to that this weekend). I won't give a detailed take on each album, but I will say that it was interesting hearing how they developed as a band. As great as they were, though, there was a lot of filler. While A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races are considered classics, I feel that Jazz was their first truly great album. It has more actual classic hits than the previous albums and strikes me as a stronger package than anything they put out previously. They topped it with The Game, which I'd rank as their second best album overall. Their best album, in my opinion, will always be A Kind of Magic. There's not a song on there that I don't absolutely love, and it's made all the better thanks to its association with Highlander.

I bought The Miracle when it came out in '89 and I thought there would be a bit more nostalgia when I listened to it, but there were only a couple songs that really appealed to me back then and almost 30 years of distance hasn't really changed my opinion much.

Innuendo is one that I never really gave a chance. I harbored a lot of animosity for this when it came out, mainly because of whatever the first video was that came out showing Freddie Mercury at his sickest. The way I saw it at the time, it really angered me that he had allowed himself to get sick and had subsequently deprived the world of his talent at much too young an age. Queen had been a huge part of my life since I was a kid and my dad would blast out "Bohemian Rhapsody" every time it came on the radio (if you weren't alive in '75, you have no clue just how often that was), and would later play their Greatest Hits LP for literally hours on end. That being said, Innuendo is a fantastic album. It holds up quite well and is easily as good as, if not better than, everything they put out in the 70s.

Before this morning, I had never listened to Made in Heaven, largely for the same reasons I was upset over Innuendo. What a horrible mistake on my part. It's a fitting end to the band, with some great, moving songs. I'll have to listen to it several more times to really gain a full appreciation, but overall it's a wonderful album. I put a reserve on Forever over the weekend so I'll get to hear the three unreleased tracks from that by the end of this week.

Reaction score
RomanXKnight... you should also check out iTunes... they have a few Queen CD's that were only released in UK or on vinyl.. lots of bonus songs and material that is not available. I finished out the day with my third favorite Queen album The Works! classics like I Want to Break Free, Radion Ga Ga, Machines, Keep Passing the Open Windows...plus perhaps one of the best Queen Songs... Hammer to Fall.

a Night at the Opera is still my all time favorite album to date, followed closely by A Kind of Magic.

I can understand your view on Innuendo.. I believe the video you are referring too would be Days of Our Lives. A great song and really showcased Freddie's talents, but yes seeing him sick was rough, but seeing his strength as he belted out the lyrics was absolutely amazing. I remember watching an interview with Roger Taylor and he said that Freddie came in the studio, looked extremely sick, took a swig of water and said **** it sweethearts let's do this and they were able to shoot the video in 1 take... that's amazing strength on Freddie's part.

today's music CD of choice has been: Cocktails in the Cantina.... Star Wars Jazz music...

(in case the title gets covered up... think about drinks after work with co-workers)

Reaction score
RomanXKnight... you should also check out iTunes... they have a few Queen CD's that were only released in UK or on vinyl.. lots of bonus songs and material that is not available.
today's music CD of choice has been: Cocktails in the Cantina.... Star Wars Jazz music...
I'll have to check those out. The Star Wars jazz sounds intriguing. It has to be better than Meco.

Reaction score
The Jazz album is great. I like the Mecosta stuff as well but the Jazz is a little more mellow when working at the office.

Reaction score
I have a big stack of CD's from the library and a few more I've bought but I can't listen to them because work is too busy. Driving me nuts.