The Music Thread - What's on? Song of the day? etc

Reaction score
As part of my effort to go back and buy albums I used to own (although this wasn't one of my earliest ones by far), I picked up a used copy of P.M. Dawn's Of the Heart, Of the Soul and Of the Cross: The Utopian Experience the other day. Listening to "Reality Used to be a Friend of Mine." Oh, to be 19 again...

Reaction score
"The End" by the Doors. I've been on a real Doors kick tonight. One of the first CD's I ever bought was The Best of The Doors, the 2-disc set from 1985.

"All the children are insane, waiting for the summer rain."

Back in college, my friends and I were friends with a guy who was several years older than us. For a long stretch we'd go over to his house every weekend to play cards, RPG's or just hang out. He'd been a big vinyl collector but by the early 90s he was a CD-adherent. He was really into blues and some jazz, but he absolutely loved The Doors. He'd put The Best of the Doors on repeat and have it playing all night. I remember one really hazy, crazy night when we all got off work early, polished off a few bottles of tequila and sat around an impromptu fire in the back yard waiting for the sun. It seemed like "The End" was stuck on a constant loop. That may have been the night (or morning) the neighbors called the cops on us. I'm not entirely sure.

Reaction score
I'm listening to the album Eden's Island by Eden Ahbez. I'm heavy into Exotica and this is one I've been hoping to get an affordable copy of for quite a while. It's considered one of the classics of the genre, although it's a good deal less Exotica-y than any of Martin Denny's albums, or Les Baxter's Ritual of the Savage, Yma Sumac, Arthur Lyman's classics, etc. I also scored a copy of Robert Drasnin's Voodoo a week or so ago. Now that's some classic Exotica! He followed it up with Voodoo II in 2007, almost 50 years after the first one. I really need to get that. Although there are a handful of bands creating new Exotica music, none of them quite measure up to the originals.

Reaction score
This week I have been enjoying Nothing But Thieves.

Goin' with the MUSEcentric "Excuse Me"

Awesome.

Reaction score
I ordered Conrinne Bailey Rae's new album from Amazon. I was going to take the mp3 route but we've been buying actual CD's for the stuff we really like due to the sound quality and archive factor. Amazon had the extended CD listed as an "autograph edition." Since there wasn't any real description I figured this was a gimmick and that a copy of her autograph would be embossed on the cover. To my surprise, she actually autographed the inner booklet. So, great album and really cool bonus for only about $2 more than the mp3 album.

That was actually the second autographed CD I got this past week. The first was from a Christian artist I really like, Sarah Hart. She had a fund-raising campaign on her website a year or so ago to get the money she needed to self-produce her latest CD. I contributed knowing that I'd get the album early. The big surprise was when it arrived not just autographed but she hand-addressed the envelopes as well. I was pretty pleased.

Reaction score
Joywave - "Destruction"

Not my typical choice, but dammit if this tune doesn't get me dancin'.

I bought the entire album. Great for workouts.

Reaction score
not a song of the day but a theme of the day instead...

been listening to all the Star Wars Soundtracks today in honor of Star War's 39th birthday!

Reaction score
My old phone died a few weeks ago. My new phone has a 200 GB SD card so I'm finally able to put most of my music on there. I've been working to get the files into a more manageable mess before I start the arduous task of recreating my playlists. One thing that's amused me through this is seeing how horribly-tagged some of my old files are. I used to download a ton of music and the people who would upload it either didn't have the same standards I do, or were absolute idiots (I had at least 8 copies of Gordon Lightfoot's "Carefree Highway" under various names and artists, such as "Every Highway" by Cat Stevens and "It's a Highway" by Don McLean). I was going through my 80's music just now and hit my folder for The English Beat. There was a file in there marked as "English Beat - Stop the World - 01.mp3". It was tagged as "I'll Stop the World" by The Cure. The song, of course, was "Melt With You" by Modern English. While it's not the worst example of mis-tagging I've come across, it did give me a laugh.

Reaction score
Vintage Trouble tunes this weekend....

So pumped I scored tix to see them live in August. WOOHOO!

Reaction score
What's on tap for ole Beek - LIVE music.

Anderson East in concert tonight.

Then my faves Ivan and Alyosha in Chicago tomorrow.

The Record Company next Tuesday.

Let the good times roll.

Reaction score
What's on tap for ole Beek - LIVE music.

Anderson East in concert tonight.

Then my faves Ivan and Alyosha in Chicago tomorrow.

The Record Company next Tuesday.

Let the good times roll.
That is one hell of a line up. Enjoy yourself bud!

Reaction score
"Victim of Me"-Descendents

Great song, and SOOOOOOO freakin pumped for their new album. Legit came out of nowhere for me.

Reaction score
for past couple days I've been on a Megadeth kick...."Peace Sells"...awesome bass intro, ...neck-in-neck w/ Black
Sabbath's "N.I.B."
But I may have to temperarily break the cycle w/ Rob Zombie's "Everybody's....in a U.F.O." and "Ging gang gong de do gong de laga raga"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Easy Target - Blink 182. Not one of my favorite Blink albums but this song is awesome.
Great song, great album. About to download the new one today.

This came out about a month or two ago at this point but I can't stop listening to the new Weezer - White album. It's just a masterpiece from beginning to end. Will be seeing them at the end of the month.

Reaction score
I picked up Adam Ant's 2013 album from the library. Adam Ant is the BlueBlack Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter. I'm sooooooo glad I got it from the library. It's horrible, indescribably horrible. I did my best but I couldn't get through it.

Reaction score
I picked up Adam Ant's 2013 album from the library. Adam Ant is the BlueBlack Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter. I'm sooooooo glad I got it from the library. It's horrible, indescribably horrible. I did my best but I couldn't get through it.

Reaction score
The New Descendents Album: Hypercaffium Spazzinate.

Fantastic. Front to back all killer, no filler. It really is a testament to the band that has existed for 30+ years and they STILL haven't lost their energy despite their age. Might be one of the best albums of the year IMO.

Reaction score
So I know this may be the wrong place to put this but I couldn't find any other location that it would fit best. I have an extra ticket to Weird Al on Wednesday evening 9/7 at the Koger center in Columbia SC. I hate to let the ticket go to waste and I'm not trying to scalp it either. If you and interested in going pm me.

Reaction score
my daughter is a huge fan of Elle King. if you like her, try "Z Z Ward".