The Music Thread - What's on? Song of the day? etc

Reaction score
I've been having one of those days where I needed a motivation song: so I have 3:

Win in the End - Mark Safan (From Teen Wolf)
You're the Best -Joe Esposito (From Karate Kid)
Way to Go - Mark Vieha (from Teen Wolf)

Reaction score
I've somehow managed to hear the Jackson 5's "Blame It on the Boogie" three times in the last two days. This has put me in a 70s mood so I've had a lot of 70s stuff going all day.

Reaction score
Jeez, I know I'm a little pasty but they didn't have to do a song about me.
If it's about you, you sure do get around!:D

Got another song by FFS that's been stuck in my head today.

"**** Off"-FFS

The whole album has a pretty good sense of humor.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"Emily Kane" by Art Brut
After posting this I got to thinking about the old "why don't you listen to any current music" conversation that I've had a thousand times, either with my kids, younger friends, or older friends who desperately struggle to stay and hip and relevant to their kids or much younger friends who only hand around with them because they can buy them beer. If someone asked me who my favorite contemporary bands are, Art Brut is one I'd mention. Looking at their albums in iTunes, though, their last one came out five years ago while Bang Bang Rock & Roll came out a whole ten years ago! In other words, my older daughters weren't old enough to really grasp what popular music even was when it came out and to them it's essentially an oldie.

Not that that bothers me any. While I like to peruse newer music from time to time, I don't have any hang ups over the fact that the bulk of what's on my mp3 player came out 30-50 years ago. I admittedly get a kick out of friends who can't tolerate the idea of not being hep and contemporary. I have one friend whose phone is loaded with current music. If it's more than two years old he tends to delete it. He blasts it as loud as his later mid-40s ears can handle whenever his kids and their friends, or his twentysomething friends are around, and mocks his similarly-aged friends who don't do the same. Check out the compartment hidden beneath his drink holder and you'll find his "secret" mp3 player, the one loaded with James Taylor, Neil Diamond and a bunch of softer, easy-listening early 70s tunes, which is all he listens to when he doesn't think anyone else will find out.

Don't get me wrong: I'm just as quick to point out how much today's music sucks (because it does) as the next guy, but if I find something I like, I'm going to listen to it. However, I'm not going to force myself to listen to something just because my 12-year-old daughter or the 23-year-old couple whose daughter plays with my kindergartner likes it.

Now, is it possible that my youth-obsessed friends really like these newer bands for precisely 23 months then suddenly hate them? Sure, anything's possible. Do I think it's likely, though? Not really. To be honest, when I see them posting pictures from the concerts they go to (a few of which invariably have a younger concertgoer or three in the background looking at them like their narcs...or their grandparents), I can't help but think of those late 30-something students for life back in college who tried so hard to get all those 18-year-old girls to complement them on their ponytails.

It personally doesn't bother me that my kids think I'm old or out of touch, or that my choice of entertainment embarrasses them. That's actually part of my job. If you can't embarrass your kids, you're not doing your job as a parent. As far as music goes, though, I'm going to listen to what I like, and if I like it I'm likely going to still be listening to it ten or twenty years from now.

One thing that does amuse me is that most of the people I know either assume I'll like the bands they listen to, or that they know which bands I'll like just because I like another band that's nothing like the bands they pick out for me. I have a couple family members who are constantly telling how this or that band they just started listening to is one I'll absolutely love. They always base this on how much I "loved" this other band they liked. Without fail, the bands they've suggested are ones that I'll listen to for about thirty seconds before wishing it was on vinyl so I could smash it on the corner of my hi-fi. At the same time I have another family member who assumes that just because I like a particular type of music or an individual artist, that means I like anyone and everyone who performs that genre of music, or anyone and everyone who performs whatever genre that one artist performs. I'll let you in on a little secret: Just because someone like Lyle Lovett is considered country, that doesn't mean I like bro-country. The worst, though, is the friend who just absolutely knows that everyone else loves new age music. Not that long ago he actually gave me an Enya cassette (for any youngsters out there, imagine a small mp3 player that only plays 5-6 songs in the same order before you flip it over and play another 5-6 songs). He knew I'd love it because I mentioned liking another female singer, or at least one with a unisex name. I was gracious, of course, but mainly because we no longer have a working cassette player in the house.

I did have a friend a few years ago who was great at giving music suggestions. Although most of our tastes didn't line up, if I gave her a band name she'd come back with half a dozen suggestions, 3-4 of which were actually pretty awesome. Sadly, she's more concerned with radical politics than anything else now so we seldom talk. I have another friend who's given me some decent suggestions lately but he's kind of stuck in the mid-90s, music-wise, so there's only so much he's able to suggest. And, with almost all of it being mid-90s stuff, the majority of it sucks, anyway.

I tried talking to a few coworkers about new music, only to find that most of them don't like new music. The one generally just listens to classic rock. We can talk about which bands we both like and concerts we've been to, but he really can't offer up any suggestions I haven't listened to a thousand times. Another only listens to Christian music. That's all well and good (there's a fair amount I like) but most of the stuff she listens to is the pablum you used to see on late-night infomercials. She's also hesitant to discuss anything along those lines so even when I pointed out that we were at the same concert a year or so ago, she wouldn't talk music with me. One guy's more than eager to talk music with me but he only likes the sort of garbage my son listens to, and calling that music is a real stretch.

Back in college we'd hang out in record stores regularly and get into discussions with the workers about who we liked, who they liked, etc. I was actually introduced to some favorites that way. I tried that recently but that's apparently not part of the business model anymore. When they weren't restocking or cashing people out, all the workers would do is stare at their phones. It struck me as a pretty sad state of affairs. At least at the local comic shop the guys there will still talk to you about new books, movies, etc. It would be awesome if comics didn't suck so bad anymore.

If I had the time for it (and if I still drank) I'd go to one of the few local bars we have left that bring in live bands. A few of my friends are still part of the local music scene so they're always asking me to come out. Unfortunately, it's always on nights that I work or am otherwise occupied. For a short stretch several long years ago we were able to go see local bands semi-regularly. We'd usually buy the bands' CDs and talk music with them between acts. We never found any we really liked, but it was still a lot of fun, especially at the really small places where it was just the band and a handful of patrons. My son's school has bands and poets giving free performances on a pretty regular basis. For the longest time I encouraged him to go to any and every show they had because I loved that sort of thing when I was in school. Unfortunately, that would take away from his time online and pouting about how unfair the world is so he's never done it.

One thing I'm hoping for this summer is to go to a few concerts. We went to a bunch last year and it was a blast, especially because so many of them had meet & greet sessions with the artists. We only got pictures and autographs from a few of them but at others we picked up CDs and got to spend a bit more time talking to the bands. Our older girls are really into concerts now so that makes it more fun. Unfortunately, they're even more into concert T-shirts so even a cheap show tends to get expensive. They each got 3-4 T-shirts last summer so we ended up spending more on shirts for them than we did on tickets.

Speaking of which, it sounds like they're finally waking up so I can quit rambling and stop worrying about being quiet. Good day, all.

Reaction score
Back in college we'd hang out in record stores regularly and get into discussions with the workers about who we liked, who they liked, etc. I was actually introduced to some favorites that way. I tried that recently but that's apparently not part of the business model anymore. When they weren't restocking or cashing people out, all the workers would do is stare at their phones. It struck me as a pretty sad state of affairs.
So this was once you? :grin:

And if you don't know, this is from the movie High Fidelity. One of my personal favorites.

Reaction score

And if you don't know, this is from the movie High Fidelity. One of my personal favorites.
I thought this was a cast still from Hot Tub Time Machine for a brief second.

Reaction score

At least once a week. The funny thing is, the guy behind the counter at our favorite shop had been there since about '77. He's still there, although he's succumbed to the smartphone addiction as well. :(

Reaction score
Re: Re: by Asian Kung Fu Generation.

I have no idea what they're saying but it's a catchy tune.

Reaction score
The Less I Know the Better- Tame Impala

I like the video for it as well, but I can't link it here.

Reaction score
"Sleep on the Floor" - The Lumineers

Ahhhhhhhhh..........after many years, album #2 is here! :grin:

Reaction score
mainly listening to indie pop lately. Lots of Ariel Pink, Soko, and Sky Ferreira.

Ariel Pink's probably one of my favorites going today. His albums sound like time capsules into various eras of pop music. Like his album "pom pom" starts off with a very Sgt Peppers sort of sound, but immediately shifts to 80s synthpop/new wave, to a song wouldn't sound out of place being performed by Black Sabbath. He hits it all: punk rock, goth music, surf rock, reggae, classic rock, funk rock, psychedelic, experimental, basically any genre that has had a bit of relevance in the last 50 years.

Reaction score
Do any of you ever re-purchase albums you had when you were younger but sold, lost or gave away for whatever reason over the years? I've done it a few times over the years and just did it again thanks to Prince's passing. My best friend gave me Around the World in a Day on cassette for my 14th birthday. It was a big deal, not just because I was a huge Prince & the Revolution fan at the time, but because that was the year I felt the middle child pinch more than just about any other. For my brother's 13th birthday he got a brand new guitar, even though he'd quit playing by then. Then for his 8th grade graduation he got $100 cash. I didn't get anything special for my 13th, then got $50 for my graduation (my brother got $100 to put toward his moped for his birthday that year). My parents told me they'd make up for it on my 14th birthday. I hadn't asked for anything big so I figured even if I didn't get cash, I'd get the things I'd asked for. Instead, I got a wiffle ball and bat. Still had the $1.98 price tag on it. My much younger sister got me a G.I. Joe figure with her own money. It cost more than the wiffle ball set. I felt worse than Molly Ringwald. The one highlight of the day was when my friend showed up for cake & ice cream and gave me the Prince album. We spent the evening listening to Raspberry Beret while playing wiffle ball. I've been thinking about that day quite a bit since hearing about Prince's death. I sold off almost all my cassettes not long after I got married and ATWIAD was part of that. I still have Purple Rain and got a digital copy of his greatest hits a while back but thinking back to that birthday and all the time I spent listening to that album up in my room in the months after that, I decided to order a new copy tonight.

That got me to thinking about other albums I used to own and re-buying them. Honestly, there's only a few that stand out so it won't take much. I know my wife wanted me to make a list of all the cassettes I sold off before I got rid of them so I could eventually get them all on CD but I never did. Besides, there were hundreds of them so re-buying them all would cost a small fortune. I'll have to come up with a list of really essential ones, but first I'm going to listen to Prince for a while.