The Mandalorian (TV Show) Want List

Reaction score
How did Disney manage to get Rogue One and The Mandalorian so right, but the sequel trilogy so tragically wrong?!
Different creative teams. Obviously JJ Abrams, Michael Arndt and Rian Johnson were not good fits for SW at all and maybe didn't take care or respect the story like they should have. The creative teams for Rogue One and this show are a totally different group of people. Seems Gilroy, Weitz and Edwards & Filoni and Favreau (1st episode) were good choices. Disney struck out using Abrams and Johnson to write and direct for the ST. Abrams and Johnson were big names on paper, but obviously didn't deliver the goods for Disney or SW fans. But at least Rogue One and this series seem to be proof the Disney era is not always crap or bad like lots of people suggest. Abrams and Johnson? Yeah, they probably were the wrong choices to helm Epis. VII - IX in hindsight. I am sure if Disney could go back, they'd pick different directors/writers for the ST.

I am curious if Famuyiwa, Chow, Howard (his daughter, not Ron) and Waititi's episodes will be just as good. Hopefully the show is consistent and we all 8 episodes have good directing and writing.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I was talking to some friends about it and also mentioned that there was more OT aliens in this one episode than in all of the ST combined.
It was highly enjoyable. I want to know all the figures they will make so I don't have to customize them.

Reaction score
Not holding my breath for lots of toys coming from the series. Looking at the lackluster offer from the Disney era movies, i can't see Hasbro going out of their way with the streaming material.

Reaction score
Without wanting to bog the thread down in a war of opinions, I just want to note that some (including me) do not think the sequel trilogy has gotten in wrong or that a lack of care/respect has been taken with the story. In fact, I would say one of my bigger issues with the trilogy is that the filmmakers are too precious at times with what came before. But I know a lot of people disagree -- not trying to fight, just voicing a dissenting opinion.

All that being said: I think it makes sense that Rogue One and Mandalorian resonate the most with people who pretty much exclusively care about the OT. Whether it's the timeframe its set in or the approach to constructing the stories, these feel a lot more like the OT than other things that have been made. While I wouldn't want all movies and shows to have to fit that mold, I am digging these for doing that.

And as an avowed ST enjoyer, I agree that it's nice to see more of the classic aliens around. I like a mix of new and old creatures/aliens, and that first episode was a real nice balance.

Reaction score
Considering how weak the first episode was, my interest in "Mandalorian" figures is pretty low right now. Here's hoping the show gets better and fast!

Reaction score
Duck Boat is supposedly a new version of the vintage Imp Transport per Jayson, but God I wish it was the RC

Reaction score
After yesterday's episode I was ready to click and buy, but sadly, there's no product available.
How come there's no line of figures and ships available at launch? I don't want to wait until April to finally get a 4" Mandalorian figure.
Someone dropped the ball on this.

Reaction score
Not holding my breath for lots of toys coming from the series. Looking at the lackluster offer from the Disney era movies, i can't see Hasbro going out of their way with the streaming material.
You have a good point but we won't be getting a new movie for a few years. The streaming material will probably be Hasbro's biggest drive for new figures for awhile after TROS. I don't expect they'll go too deep (Hasbro never does these days) but I think we will probably see the main characters.

Reaction score
Isn't that typical though?

Lots of toys early, lackluster story, poor sales.
No toys, great story, no sales until much later.

Sometimes it's a crapshoot, and once you get burned, you'll be more risk averse.
Look at the first Frozen movie - very little merchandise - huge phenomenon. Frozen 2 - lots of merchandise.

After watching Episode 1, loved it. Would love to have the toys as well. Maybe Hasbro can send us an Early Bird Certificate.

Reaction score
You have a good point but we won't be getting a new movie for a few years. The streaming material will probably be Hasbro's biggest drive for new figures for awhile after TROS. I don't expect they'll go too deep (Hasbro never does these days) but I think we will probably see the main characters.
I hope we'll get a few ones. Not expecting more than a dozen in the next 24 to 36 months window.

Reaction score
After yesterday's episode I was ready to click and buy, but sadly, there's no product available.
How come there's no line of figures and ships available at launch? I don't want to wait until April to finally get a 4" Mandalorian figure.
Yup. Considering that we already have 6" versions of the main character and a couple of supporting characters, it's clear where the priority is for Hasbro. The most recent TVC wave should have been all new figures from TROS and The Mandalorian just like the TFF launch of the 6" wave. I would also say from Jedi Fallen Order, but that would be asking way to much from Hasbro.

Reaction score
Star Wars is obviously a different beast than most TV shows, but the TV world moves at lightning speed. There are SO many shows coming so fast by April "The mandalorian" could be a very distant memory. Yes, SW has the die hard fandom, but for the casual fan, getting a toy on the shelves that late is insane.

Reaction score
Considering how weak the first episode was, my interest in "Mandalorian" figures is pretty low right now. Here's hoping the show gets better and fast!
Yeah the first episode was just ok to me. I am hoping I get into it more as more episodes are released. I don't see what people are raving about yet.

Reaction score
Yeah the first episode was just ok to me. I am hoping I get into it more as more episodes are released. I don't see what people are raving about yet.
Agreed. It wasn't terrible, certainly, but there was just....so little there. The raves are puzzling. And I wanted to like this show just as much as everyone, but I recognize a whiff when I see it.

Reaction score
I prefer the "less is more" approach to storytelling. I like when there are a lot of blanks spots in the story that my imagination can fill in on its own. Not everything needs to be explained, established, or shown onscreen. The mystery and the lack of information is what made characters like Boba Fett and Darth Vader so cool and so interesting in the first place.

Nowadays, I would say that there is too much information about those characters. Same with Han Solo. Knowing too much about Han's backstory ruins his character. Which is why I didn't want to see Solo and was not impressed with it at all when I finally got around to watching it. It actually hurt my interest in Han more than anything else and I haven't really even thought about his character since seeing that movie.

So, for now, I'm enjoying the mystery of this new character. If it turns out to be like one of JJ Abrams' "mystery boxes" (where there is actually nothing inside), then just don't reveal that in the story. Keep the mystery going and let fans fill in the blanks on their own.

Also, I would like a few of those Red Nikto and Green Nikto mercenaries from the final shootout in this episode. I don't need backstories of even names for any of them. Leave that information out.

bac

Reaction score
Also, I would like a few of those Red Nikto and Green Nikto mercenaries from the final shootout in this episode. I don't need backstories of even names for any of them. Leave that information out.
These are easy kit-bashes, and I suspect collectors would gobble them up for The Mandalorian as well as Jabba's Palace/Barge.

We can only hope.

Reaction score
I agree, it looked great, but in then end, I couldn't put a finger on anything special about why I should be 'bonkers' over the show. I will say that it was well done and didn't disappoint. That was a relief. They captured a great look for the show, and I really like how they incorporated existing SW elements without feeling like they had to reinvent everything. That kept it familiar with what we know of the SW universe and is giving us more of what we have already loved.

The aliens were familiar, the Speeders, the Stormtroopers, the Mandos, the weapons, We know these things and it was good seeing them in a natural, dirty, used, weathered setting. We aren't seeing yet another 'new' variation of a Tie Fighter, or Stormtrooper.

I will say, that the "Bounty Hunter has a moral crisis when they find out the 'bounty' in an innocent caught up in the schemes of evil doers" has been done before. Too many times. In TCW young Boba Fett/Asajj had that 'train ride' episode where the 'bounty' was a kidnapped girl that was to be delivered. Asajj freed her. In the show Firefly, the crew had to rob a train & steal cargo, turns out that cargo was much needed valuable medical supplies destined for a suffering town. They stole the cargo, found out what it was, and returned it, suffering the wrath of the one who hired them to steal it.

So I think that I see where 'The Mandalorian' is going here. He gets the Cabbage Patch Yoda and discovers its 'rightful' owner/parent/best place for it to grow up and he 'does the right thing'. This of course upsets someone powerful and establishes an enemy for the Mando to constrast with. Perhaps it is Gran Moff Pollo Hermano, or just Werner. We will see how it is handled this time, but this is definatly familiar ground.

Reaction score
I thought the way IG-11 maneuvered was outstanding. Never pictured that after seeing the motionless IG88 in ESB.

It was fun, cool and entertaining.

Also, seeing the four bodies carbon frozen...made me wonder what their back stories were.

Reaction score
I thought the way IG-11 maneuvered was outstanding. Never pictured that after seeing the motionless IG88 in ESB.

It was fun, cool and entertaining.

Also, seeing the four bodies carbon frozen...made me wonder what their back stories were.

Yep. IG-11 looked more formidable than the Mandalorian in combat.

Reaction score
I will say, that the "Bounty Hunter has a moral crisis when they find out the 'bounty' in an innocent caught up in the schemes of evil doers" has been done before. Too many times. In TCW young Boba Fett/Asajj had that 'train ride' episode where the 'bounty' was a kidnapped girl that was to be delivered. Asajj freed her. In the show Firefly, the crew had to rob a train & steal cargo, turns out that cargo was much needed valuable medical supplies destined for a suffering town. They stole the cargo, found out what it was, and returned it, suffering the wrath of the one who hired them to steal it.
While I agree, Hollywood is 90% all about the recycled story line. I can't even count on two hands how many times I've seen repeated plots in every movie I've seen. Then again, we have to ask ourselves how many new concepts can we actually expect after 50+ years of motion pictures?

No matter what story they choose, it will have already been though of by someone.

Reaction score
I seem to remember some model of IG droid in the Clone Wars cartoon, but they went way over the top when animating that one. It was jumping off of walls and just looked ridiculous. I'm glad they toned it down and made IG-11 move in a much more grounded, yet still awesome way. In these days of CG animation being able to achieve just about anything on a movie screen, it's extremely rare to see something that we have never seen before. When watching IG-11 move around in The Mandalorian, I truly felt like I was watching something that I had never seen before.

I also see people complain about unoriginal storylines, but that's a staple of Star Wars. Or did you guys think that the hero rescuing the princess from the dark lord's impregnable fortress was a completely original story in 1977? In reality, it was considered just as tired and trite back then as it is now. It's not the originality of the story that's important, it's how the same story is retold over and over again that matters.

Reaction score
I agree, it looked great, but in then end, I couldn't put a finger on anything special about why I should be 'bonkers' over the show. I will say that it was well done and didn't disappoint. That was a relief. They captured a great look for the show, and I really like how they incorporated existing SW elements without feeling like they had to reinvent everything. That kept it familiar with what we know of the SW universe and is giving us more of what we have already loved.

The aliens were familiar, the Speeders, the Stormtroopers, the Mandos, the weapons, We know these things and it was good seeing them in a natural, dirty, used, weathered setting. We aren't seeing yet another 'new' variation of a Tie Fighter, or Stormtrooper.

So I think that I see where 'The Mandalorian' is going here. He gets the Cabbage Patch Yoda and discovers its 'rightful' owner/parent/best place for it to grow up and he 'does the right thing'. This of course upsets someone powerful and establishes an enemy for the Mando to constrast with. Perhaps it is Gran Moff Pollo Hermano, or just Werner. We will see how it is handled this time, but this is definatly familiar ground.
I agree. I was definitely not "bonkers" about the show and the twist, while intriguing from an SW point of view, was still pretty much a very big and familiar trope. Still, it was the only moment where the Mandalorian actually did anything unexpected or interesting, so I'll take it.

I think the show has potential, but it definitely needs to improve.

Reaction score
I’m bonkers all the way for this show, perfect word for it.

I want the ship, big 400 dollar thing.
Blurgs Blurgs and more Blurgs...spelling?
IG-11
I could list 15 TVC figures I’d like to have just from 39 minutes.
Bonkers

Reaction score
Well, they say the ancient Greeks came up with 7 basic plots in their theater pieces and ever since then, the western world has basically just recycled those 7 basic plots over the last few thousand years.😄

Reaction score
I could fill a top ten want list just from this episode alone. However, what I really want is for Hasbro to make some of these characters in the Retro Collection, looking like they had been sculpted by Kenner in 1980. The Mandalorian and IG-11 could be retools of vintage Boba Fett and IG-88. They could also retool Bossk into one of those Trandoshans from the bar, who I'm sure we will see again in a later episode.

Reaction score
So far, so good. I'm still loving this show. Now I also know why Hasbro decided to make the Offworld Jawa figure so early on. When we saw them in the first episode, I thought that was going to be the end of it and Hasbro chose the figure as just a quick, cheap retool. But their decision makes a lot more sense now.

bac

Reaction score
So far, so good. I'm still loving this show. Now I also know why Hasbro decided to make the Offworld Jawa figure so early on. When we saw them in the first episode, I thought that was going to be the end of it and Hasbro chose the figure as just a quick, cheap retool. But their decision makes a lot more sense now.
It might not have been Hasbro's decision at all. Might have been Lucasfilm/Disney.

Regardless, Offworld Jawa NEEDS to be in TVC.

Reaction score
I'm not so sure Hasbro should be at fault for what is or isn't released these days. It's more of a Disney function.

Reaction score
Without wanting to bog the thread down in a war of opinions, I just want to note that some (including me) do not think the sequel trilogy has gotten in wrong or that a lack of care/respect has been taken with the story. In fact, I would say one of my bigger issues with the trilogy is that the filmmakers are too precious at times with what came before. But I know a lot of people disagree -- not trying to fight, just voicing a dissenting opinion.

All that being said: I think it makes sense that Rogue One and Mandalorian resonate the most with people who pretty much exclusively care about the OT. Whether it's the timeframe its set in or the approach to constructing the stories, these feel a lot more like the OT than other things that have been made. While I wouldn't want all movies and shows to have to fit that mold, I am digging these for doing that.

And as an avowed ST enjoyer, I agree that it's nice to see more of the classic aliens around. I like a mix of new and old creatures/aliens, and that first episode was a real nice balance.

It is indeed a great shame that you are forced to feel like this.

Please continue to enjoy what you love.