The Mandalorian The Mandalorian - Live Action Star Wars TV series

Reaction score
There aren’t necessarily bad moments— just very poorly-thought out action set pieces that come off flat. And for a premiere that's mostly comprised of a handful of action set pieces, that's what makes it bad.

The ice lake monster attack is so random, with the Mando casually poking it with his probe to wound/stun it to free his ship. Why would he park his ship so far from his destination, and on a frozen lake, in the first place...?

Another poorly thought-out sequence is the main action set piece: How awfully disorganized are the bandits to attack 2 lone hunters in such a manner? It would make common sense to gather all the men inside that gate and defend it rather than run amok outside? They’re bandits and should possess some decent strategic logic in their defense...

This premier episode is giving a cute and fun vibe rather than a more mature, Western gunslinger vibe. Fun is good, but not at the expense of dumb logic, which I’m getting from this episode, unfortunately. Hope it improves.

Reaction score
Well I will say, in a very wax and wain period for SW, when it's producing some stuff that's nearly OT quality but ALSO producing stuff that's arguably the worst content ever done in the franchise...I'll say I think this is the best thing Disney has done with SW thus far. It just mildly edges above RO IMO, which I also loved. I hope they don't blow it. Not that is was remotely prefect, but I see a lot of potential coming.

But hands down, the stand-out scene was IG-11. I've always wanted to see one in live-action that isn't JUST standing there. Holy crap! It's just mowing people down. One thing I found super creative is how it was designed to move. There's a sort of heavy lead footed walk to him, it carried weight, and yet it's utterly mobile and articulated. It's actually kind of scary when you imagine it's coming...for you! The movement of the joints, it's almost like there IS no front or back to this thing. It seems like it can see a complete 360 degrees and constantly rotate and move its joints in unnatural ways to be an efficient and calculating hunter. I mean, in a shoot out, time and speed are of the essence and the way this thing moves? It's literally the perfect killing machine.

It also kind of justifies my belief that instead of battle droids, Lucas should have used IG assassin droids in the PT. They'd be an actual threat, they'd be terrifying, and they'd have tied into the lore better than just creating a new warrior droid. I mean, IG-88 would now appear in the ESB bounty hunter scene as a sort of clone wars relic.

Reaction score
Gonna have to disagree with you on that. We get more Mandy back story in those brief flashbacks than we ever get of Rey. Especially if they are doing what the rumors say they are doing and making her someone’s relative ...
Arguably, we have about the same amount of info on both.

We know Rey was left in the care of Unkar Plutt by her parents. This is seen in flashback. We know she has lived her live as a scavenger, barely eeking by a very meager living while hoping her parents will return.

As for the Mando, we saw only teeny glimpses of his past. We know he was a "foundling", meaning probably an orphan, and that, as a child, he witnessed a battle, which probably resulted in him being orphaned? But it's not clear.

In the present, we know about his profession - well-regarded bounty hunter.

Those are basically all of the "facts" we know about both characters in their initial outings. And it's pretty much the same "amount" of information - a light teased backstory with seeing them during their "day to day."

In fact, I'd argue we know a little bit more about Rey, in that she has a clearly articulated goal (albeit a passive one) - hoping that her family will come for her. The closest the Mando has is helping out his people, kind of, although that would have landed better if it was the Mando's idea to give the surplus beskar to the foundlings instead of the armorer's. As it is, all he seems truly motivated to do is upgrading his armor, which is pretty soft motivation.

In terms of personality, I'd say we know little about both beyond some broadly sketched traits. Rey is plucky, independent and energetic. Mando is cool and professional. Both are good in a fight.

Reaction score
People on Twitter and Reddit have pointed out that Pershing (the doctor) has a symbol very similar to what is seen on Kamino on his jacket sleeve. The "bounty" at the end might be a clone...

Anyone have a guess as to the identity of the forge maker (assuming she is someone important...could just be a nameless character)? Maybe one of female Mandos from CW or even the Sabine from Rebels. I think she was a Mandalorian and we know she was alive after ROTJ.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There aren’t necessarily bad moments— just very poorly-thought out action set pieces that come off flat. And for a premiere that's mostly comprised of a handful of action set pieces, that's what makes it bad.

The ice lake monster attack is so random, with the Mando casually poking it with his probe to wound/stun it to free his ship. Why would he park his ship so far from his destination, and on a frozen lake, in the first place...?

Another poorly thought-out sequence is the main action set piece: How awfully disorganized are the bandits to attack 2 lone hunters in such a manner? It would make common sense to gather all the men inside that gate and defend it rather than run amok outside? They’re bandits and should possess some decent strategic logic in their defense...

This premier episode is giving a cute and fun vibe rather than a more mature, Western gunslinger vibe. Fun is good, but not at the expense of dumb logic, which I’m getting from this episode, unfortunately. Hope it improves.
They called the area where his ship was parked "the port" a few times. We can easily and logically assume that is where ships park on whatever planet that is.

The lake monster/stun was a homage to the first appearance of Boba Fett in the Holiday Special.

As for the "disorganization" of the defense during the action scene...I don't know maybe those guys are all just hanging out not expecting a Mandalorian and an Assassin Droid to show up and just start killing people? I thought they responded appropriately given the situation.

Also it's a sci fi TV show and we certainly aren't talking about the nonsensical Crait/Luke dumb logic. That was an epic mess during the penultimate moment of a billion dollar blockbuster.

Reaction score
They called the area where his ship was parked "the port" a few times. We can easily and logically assume that is where ships park on whatever planet that is.

The lake monster/stun was a homage to the first appearance of Boba Fett in the Holiday Special.

As for the "disorganization" of the defense during the action scene...I don't know maybe those guys are all just hanging out not expecting a Mandalorian and an Assassin Droid to show up and just start killing people? I thought they responded appropriately given the situation.

Also it's a sci fi TV show and we certainly aren't talking about the nonsensical Crait/Luke dumb logic. That was an epic mess during the penultimate moment of a billion dollar blockbuster.
His ship is “ported” on a frozen lake when there is so much land all round… that is so smart. Just to have an “homage” to The Holiday Special cartoon I suppose— as is nearly every scene seems to be an homage to the OT. Sure, why not. As long as there are callbacks crammed into this show to get you OT-guys excited, never mind making the remotest of sense.

And yes, these bandits/pirates/hunters were just hanging out with their homies (while apparently an assassin droid slowly approached them in the wide open space unnoticed until it’s just a couple of yards away)— not the least skilled and experienced in any sort of defence/offence in their lives. I’ll give you that the first unsuspecting group was taken out while they were just chilling-- maybe even smoking some herbal refreshment, giving some time before the bigger group attacked… Instead of regrouping and reorganizing in the stronghold where the prized “asset" was held, to hold off 2 attackers. These are some seriously clueless bandits/pirates/hunters (I suppose it’s the same strategists that decided to send Dany’s entire army of riders racing into the darkness to confront the Night King’s zombie army instead of staying put behind their castle wall). And when the two finally knocked out the gate, there was only a lone guy left in the stronghold. BTW, that huge repulserlift blaster wasn’t able to take down a small column that our heroes hid behind with repeated balstings, but it sure took down that gate fast LOL

Look, if you dig this episode and its nonsense, good for you. But let’s not pretend there aren't some glaringly silly directions which makes absolutely no sense once you think about it. The action set pieces aren’t that much more clever than the ones of TLJ, of which you keep on bashing.

(And BTW, how many times do we have to see a beastie suddenly appear in front of out hero when mere nano-seconds ago, nothing was in front of him. Damn, those blurghs sure can move fast and so unnoticed when the story calls for it LOL Yes yes-- it was an(other) homage to the OT, where Luke was surprised-attack by the Tusken...)

Reaction score
Is that not all of us? Without it, and respect for it, nothing else Star Wars would exist and regardless of one's opinions about other aspects of the franchise any 'non-OT-guys' wouldn't be around to complain.
I don't think anyone can disagree that without the original Star Wars movies there wouldn't have been later Star Wars movies. But while the OT will always be my jam (I've reckoned with the fact that no new movie/show/whatever will knock the them out of my top three), I don't know if italicized-and-bolded respect is needed for it.

I mean...I would guess a lot of people here saw the OT when they were young, either as they came out or on TV. And I would also guess a lot of people here were out of their childhood when the prequels came out. The OT is our Star Wars. But for a bunch of people, the prequels are their Star Wars. And there are a lot of people, whether young kids or newbies to the series, who have the sequel trilogy and the Disney spin-offs as their Star Wars. Each of us can not like whatever we don't like -- but I don't think we have to demand respect for any of it, unless you want to respect all of it. (Even if you want to vilify Disney and draw a line of demarcation at their purchase, you'll have to validate and respect the prequels...and it seemed like there were plenty of ways those didn't "respect" the OT.)

Considering how much of the Original Trilogy centers on the younger generation bristling at and rebelling against the control of an older one, fans of it can have a real difficult time sharing the universe with people who showed up later.

Anyway...like I said, I'm in the bag for the OT, so I enjoyed the hell out of the first episode. farmer may be right that it's nostalgia fuel that only exists to activate the OT-loving switch in our lizard brains. But...I'm more than ok with that. Activate away!

Reaction score
Hey, did anyone else Constable Zuvio?
Yeah, someone mentioned it could be Embo or a similar type of character. But, after going back and looking a few more times the character does look like a Constable Zuvio type of character without a doubt.

Another random bit of fan service was the mentioning of Life Day in the beginning scene when they are on the Razor Crest.

Reaction score
I don't know if italicized-and-bolded respect is needed for it.
What I'm getting at it the ST-centric subset of the new fandom who go online and actively criticise the OT. It seems to be the only defence of their position that many are able to mount.

Those who have attacked Anthony Daniels personally for having an expressed opinion and then gone on to say derogatory remarks about C-3PO.

Those who laughed at the photo of Mark Hamill breaking down on set because he struggled so much with what he was being asked to do, being against his opinions of who the character he played actually was.

Those who mocked Tim Rose crying at being disrespected by Johnson by calling him fish-related insults and saying his character onscreen was worthless.

It's out there and it's both sickening and idiotic. I've even seen it on this forum.

Reaction score
So something just hit me...wasn't one of the original ideas/concepts for Han Solo to basically be a big blue alien with gills? I wonder if they used that for Horatio Sanz character design! But yes, I will admit, he did sound way too human. I'm fine if he speaks basic, whatever, but at least of some otherworldly gruff tones to it.

Reaction score
What I'm getting at it the ST-centric subset of the new fandom who go online and actively criticise the OT. It seems to be the only defence of their position that many are able to mount.
I also don't like people going out of their way to criticize and find fault with the OT. But, to go all "from a certain point of view," wouldn't some of those fans think that people who concentrate on the OT go online and actively criticize the stuff that they like, calling the actors and filmmakers terrible names, mocking them for things they have emotional attachments to, etc etc?

Not to "both sides" it, but I think the behavior is crappy in any direction. But since this already trending into that "both sides" territory, I'll just say that I think everyone would benefit from more empathy to everyone (fans, actors, filmmakers) involved.

Reaction score
So something just hit me...wasn't one of the original ideas/concepts for Han Solo to basically be a big blue alien with gills? I wonder if they used that for Horatio Sanz character design! But yes, I will admit, he did sound way too human. I'm fine if he speaks basic, whatever, but at least of some otherworldly gruff tones to it.
That's a great point -- I hadn't thought of that original Solo design! (I always remember it as him being green, but my memory could be faulty...and gills were definitely involved.)

As for the voice...there's something fun/weird about a dissonant voice coming from an alien creature. Whether people like it or not, that is a Filoni move. I do like the idea that all alien races still have nebbish weasels, even if I thought that his character was one of the weaker parts of the episode.

Reaction score
No matter where you land on the spectrum of your love for Star Wars, you have to admit that this ambitious show is breathing new life into something that has taken its lumps for awhile now. You won't find the overwhelming hatred for The Mandalorian anywhere, and if you do it's because that person is a troll. (I don't think that is too strong of a sentiment. There is nothing to Hate about this. You can nitpick to death if you like, but it's solid)

Remember, this is the PILOT episode, which for shows usually is introductory in nature and allows for different directions after. We've been introduced to the Mandalorian, his abilities, how he relates to others, his ship and weapons, and the world in which he lives.

Reaction score
I was excited to see some familiar faces like Carl Weathers, Brian Poesehn, and found out later about Horatio. Seeing a Mandalorian do something in live action again was awesome. Seeing an IG droid was even better! I've seen some negative posts about this and that, but the deep cut call-backs to things like Blurrgs and Life Day were fun. Like Lando narrating his memoirs in Solo and mentioning Sharu.

One more thing I'll point out... Cloud Riders. I saw at least 2 of them. I feel like we could easily see many other characters we've seen before and it seems like they've mixed in some of the PT, OT, and ST aliens which is absolutely the way it should be. It will enhance all eras.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another cool thing I noticed that I don't think I've seen mentioned, if you look REALLY close in the background of one of the scenes of his flashback...you can see Super Battle Droids attacking. I'm going out on a limb and saying he hates droids because the Separatists attacked during the clone wars and the droid army killed his family.