The Mandalorian & Grogu (Maldo Kreis)

bac

Reaction score
^ I missed that one. Thanks for the heads up!

Reaction score
Someone did, in one of the 3-4 other Q&A's Hasbro held w/podcasters yesterday. The designer said he loves SW creatures but tooling up a huge spider may not be cost effective or something like that. Which is understandable... but man.. a huge Krykna-esque spider would be creepy...lol

He also mentioned, between a giant spider or a Blurrg, wouldnt collectors prefer a Blurrg. I think the answer is a obvious yes, considering the Blurrg is one of the most talked about SW creatures, and the demand has been high since the series aired. Between TVC, TBS, and Disney - there are plenty of spider options in differing scales. I'd honestly buy the TBS version if it were packed by itself, to compliment the others.

Reaction score
He also mentioned, between a giant spider or a Blurrg, wouldnt collectors prefer a Blurrg. I think the answer is a obvious yes, considering the Blurrg is one of the most talked about SW creatures, and the demand has been high since the series aired. Between TVC, TBS, and Disney - there are plenty of spider options in differing scales. I'd honestly buy the TBS version if it were packed by itself, to compliment the others.
A Blurrg is surely on the horizon. I bought my son the Mission Fleet Mando/Blurrg/Stormtrooper pack and the Blurrg is reallly cool.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Which is exactly what they're hoping people do, even if you're not into TBS you gotta buy something from it to use as a TVC accessory. Winning! lol
This is why I would prefer they just released a "Creature" set rather than feeling they need to bank on packing DIN and Grogu with everything only jacking up the price and leaving many with yet another unneeded DIn etc.

Now you could argue the ankles being needed, but really they could have saved that for the Beskar spear release, or any future one for that matter as I feel it merely took tooling budget away from more spiders.
Maybe why TVC spider only has 4 tooled legs. TBS spider has all eight legs tooled

Reaction score
Someone did, in one of the 3-4 other Q&A's Hasbro held w/podcasters yesterday. The designer said he loves SW creatures but tooling up a huge spider may not be cost effective or something like that. Which is understandable... but man.. a huge Krykna-esque spider would be creepy...lol
Correction, it is cost effective but it ill most certainly mean no tooling budget for a couple of figures you might have wanted more. That's the real issue they face with such a limited budget for TVC.

Reaction score
A Blurrg is surely on the horizon. I bought my son the Mission Fleet Mando/Blurrg/Stormtrooper pack and the Blurrg is reallly cool.
I think the Mission Fleet line pretty much guarantees we'll never see a new 3.75" beast or vehicle again. All the recent MF ships (TIE Whisper, Outland TIE, Mandalorian shuttle) and creatures fill the price point that used to belong to the POTF2 creatures and ships.

If they can adapt an existing mold, then we might see something. I have no hope we'll see a new mold for TVC again.

Reaction score
I think the Mission Fleet line pretty much guarantees we'll never see a new 3.75" beast or vehicle again. All the recent MF ships (TIE Whisper, Outland TIE, Mandalorian shuttle) and creatures fill the price point that used to belong to the POTF2 creatures and ships.

If they can adapt an existing mold, then we might see something. I have no hope we'll see a new mold for TVC again.

I'm not seeing the correlation there at all. Also are you using POTF2 (a line that has been dead for 25 years) as the measuring stick?

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the correlation there at all. Also are you using POTF2 (a line that has been dead for 25 years) as the measuring stick?
POTF2 beast packs cost about $15. POTF2 ships (X-wing, TIE, A-Wing, AT-ST, etc) were about $20-$22.

Later, the Legacy Class 1 fleet "mini-rigs" fit that $15-20 price point. This is what retailers want on their shelves - something that they can stock a lot of that buyers will pick up for their kids without thinking too much about the cost.

Which means for compatibility with the 3.75" line, everything would be scaled-down. But even those mini-rigs got too expensive to make to sell at that price point.

So Hasbro created Mission Fleet with a new scale of limited articulation figures. It fits that $15-22 price point that retailers want, they're cheap to make, and kids don't complain about the scale not being 'accurate'.

Contrast that to 3.75" ships/creatures. The last newly sculpted creatures we got were the Dewback in the Legacy line at $30, and the Search for Skywalker Tauntaun in the SOTDS line at $25 (later tweaked as Luke's Tauntaun in TVC, dropping the Han and Rebel soldier, but still costing $25). So you're looking at a minimum of $50 for a reissued creature, and they've already shown they'd rather do those in the Black Series or Mission Fleet lines. Newly molded ships (Rogue One Assault Tank, Mandalorian ITT) hit the shelves at $75, and reissues go for at least twice their original cost (Slave 1: $75 in 2013 to $150 today. Target Legacy TIE Fighter - $40, Walmart TVC TIE Fighter - $80). That $25 Target TVC Landspeeder? A reissue would be $50. And those are just reused molds.

So to create any new creatures/ships for the TVC line, my guess is the retail price would be at least $75 for creatures, and $150-$200 for ships. And that's not going to make mass retail. They would be exclusives at best, but more likely they're just going to be Haslab territory from here on out.

Reaction score
POTF2 beast packs cost about $15. POTF2 ships (X-wing, TIE, A-Wing, AT-ST, etc) were about $20-$22.

Later, the Legacy Class 1 fleet "mini-rigs" fit that $15-20 price point. This is what retailers want on their shelves - something that they can stock a lot of that buyers will pick up for their kids without thinking too much about the cost.

Which means for compatibility with the 3.75" line, everything would be scaled-down. But even those mini-rigs got too expensive to make to sell at that price point.

So Hasbro created Mission Fleet with a new scale of limited articulation figures. It fits that $15-22 price point that retailers want, they're cheap to make, and kids don't complain about the scale not being 'accurate'.

Contrast that to 3.75" ships/creatures. The last newly sculpted creatures we got were the Dewback in the Legacy line at $30, and the Search for Skywalker Tauntaun in the SOTDS line at $25 (later tweaked as Luke's Tauntaun in TVC, dropping the Han and Rebel soldier, but still costing $25). So you're looking at a minimum of $50 for a reissued creature, and they've already shown they'd rather do those in the Black Series or Mission Fleet lines. Newly molded ships (Rogue One Assault Tank, Mandalorian ITT) hit the shelves at $75, and reissues go for at least twice their original cost (Slave 1: $75 in 2013 to $150 today. Target Legacy TIE Fighter - $40, Walmart TVC TIE Fighter - $80). That $25 Target TVC Landspeeder? A reissue would be $50. And those are just reused molds.

So to create any new creatures/ships for the TVC line, my guess is the retail price would be at least $75 for creatures, and $150-$200 for ships. And that's not going to make mass retail. They would be exclusives at best, but more likely they're just going to be Haslab territory from here on out.
Maybe "mr. argumentative" will see the "correlation" now....lol
Good post Rogue1969.....

Reaction score
The pricepoints mentioned don't accurately reflect the market any longer though. I wish they did, but there has been a move away from toys into collectibles, when it comes to the 3.75 scale. At one point, retailers like WM didn't want action figures above $10 in the 3.75 scale, but that's no longer the case. Having a $15-20 beast assortment isn't really viable when TVC costs $14 for example. I don't think Mission Fleet precludes anything in the 3.75 scale, because those are intended for a much younger demographic. What I will say is, to scale up something from MF to TVC will cost at least double. So for example, when Hasbro does a Blurrg in TVC, they can use the same digital model as MF, increase the size by 50%, and give it a new realistic "skin", alongside upgraded deco. Something like that would likely run about $35 in my opinion, packed with a carded figure, probably $50. Maybe Retro could deliver a creature with figure for less, but based on that basic figure MSRP of $11, I'm doubting they would cut anyone a break on price, even with simple articulation. I'd love a Retro Blurrg & figure for $20, like the 2018 beast assortment in the Solo line (Wampa w/ Luke), but that doesn't seem to be the direction Hasbro is going with the scale anymore, they market directly to collectors, and we pay inflated prices because of that. The prospect of new creatures certainly is not as gloomy as some might think, and this Mando & spider set is proof of that.

Reaction score
I forget what the retail prices were on the Force Link Wampa, Rathtar, Enfys Nest Swoop, etc. I'm thinking about $20.

Reaction score

There is still no correlation. You are comparing scales and prices of 2 different customers segment across different lines and trying to tie in 25 years of pricing.

Your argument actually got worse.

Reaction score
I believe so, but around my parts they were closer to $25 being that all we had were Fred Meyer and Kmart who liked to jack up the prices on toys like they TRU.
Which was the reason I passed on them all, sure the Wampa was cool looking but in my mind is wasn't worth $25. And unfortunately I never saw it going for the low prices that the Rathtar was. I did manage to score Enfys Nest's Swoop for about $12 a while back though. The funny thing is that now the Wampa would likely still be around $25 if not more, I mean if they repackaged him with a cave playset we'd have to pay $52 minimum today. And I bet people would still gobble it up, whether because we were starved for product for so long and now still are with the pre-order windows, or because like anything some items never made it everywhere and they missed out, or a person wasn't collecting at that time etc. I'd certainly be tempted to buy the Wampa w/Cave if the cave was cool looking and somewhat interactive with a mechanism to drop Luke down or even howling sounds.

You do bring up an interesting point, Hasbro seems to still want to target kids despite the fact more and more of them choosing electronics over toys every year. Noe I'm not suggesting that all kids do not play with them at all, merely that data shows fewer and fewer are into toys today. Even if they are it's a smaller window than when we were kids in the 70's-80's, and that they quickly move onto something else.

So they take some their R&D budget to make smaller Galactic Hero type toys to test these waters like any other fad they hope makes it, like Choppers etc. Now so far the line seems to be a hit around here with adult collectors and their kids, but how popular is it overall? Enough to warrant some more new sets at least, but only time will tell if it has the legs to go on. But some might ask why not use that budget to help boost TVC or TBS with fewer repacks? Unfortunately is doesn't work that way.

I will say they are great ways for kids to get items like the Razor Crest or anything else that would otherwise be out of their price range in TVC.

Reaction score
I forget what the retail prices were on the Force Link Wampa, Rathtar, Enfys Nest Swoop, etc. I'm thinking about $20.
They were $20, and I apologize for forgetting those. However, that Rathtar was very undersized and kind of goes to prove my point about making underscaled creatures/ships to hit a certain price point. The Kessel Run Falcon was $100, and it was smaller and less interactive with figures than the original Falcon from 1978. I don't remember seeing those on the shelves much.

Reaction score
The pricepoints mentioned don't accurately reflect the market any longer though. I wish they did, but there has been a move away from toys into collectibles, when it comes to the 3.75 scale. At one point, retailers like WM didn't want action figures above $10 in the 3.75 scale, but that's no longer the case. Having a $15-20 beast assortment isn't really viable when TVC costs $14 for example. I don't think Mission Fleet precludes anything in the 3.75 scale, because those are intended for a much younger demographic. What I will say is, to scale up something from MF to TVC will cost at least double. So for example, when Hasbro does a Blurrg in TVC, they can use the same digital model as MF, increase the size by 50%, and give it a new realistic "skin", alongside upgraded deco. Something like that would likely run about $35 in my opinion, packed with a carded figure, probably $50. Maybe Retro could deliver a creature with figure for less, but based on that basic figure MSRP of $11, I'm doubting they would cut anyone a break on price, even with simple articulation. I'd love a Retro Blurrg & figure for $20, like the 2018 beast assortment in the Solo line (Wampa w/ Luke), but that doesn't seem to be the direction Hasbro is going with the scale anymore, they market directly to collectors, and we pay inflated prices because of that. The prospect of new creatures certainly is not as gloomy as some might think, and this Mando & spider set is proof of that.
I think you're right. I would say up until the Legacy Collection, Hasbro still thought of 3.75" as a toy line (younger demographic) Once they did the initial foray into TVC, it started moving toward a collectable line, so they needed something to fill the 'toyetic' role - limited articulation, interaction with vehicles, etc. The recent 'beast packs' were a mixed bag. The Wampa and especially the Probe Droid were excellent, but the figures reverted to 5POA (as did the basic line).

I see the spiders in the Maldo Kries set as more of accessories, than actual creatures in their own right (well, maybe the big one counts). But if you look at the Sith Trooper Armory set, that was a figure with multiple accessories for $17.99. Same with Din Djarin and Grogu. This set swaps out some of the smaller accessories and adds a big spider and now it's $26.49, so that spider is costing you about $8.50. A big one in it's own box would probably be at least $30-$35.

So maybe Hasbro can do a solid creature like a Blurrg for $50. The question is, will they?

Reaction score
I think you're right. I would say up until the Legacy Collection, Hasbro still thought of 3.75" as a toy line (younger demographic) Once they did the initial foray into TVC, it started moving toward a collectable line, so they needed something to fill the 'toyetic' role - limited articulation, interaction with vehicles, etc. The recent 'beast packs' were a mixed bag. The Wampa and especially the Probe Droid were excellent, but the figures reverted to 5POA (as did the basic line).

I see the spiders in the Maldo Kries set as more of accessories, than actual creatures in their own right (well, maybe the big one counts). But if you look at the Sith Trooper Armory set, that was a figure with multiple accessories for $17.99. Same with Din Djarin and Grogu. This set swaps out some of the smaller accessories and adds a big spider and now it's $26.49, so that spider is costing you about $8.50. A big one in it's own box would probably be at least $30-$35.

So maybe Hasbro can do a solid creature like a Blurrg for $50. The question is, will they?
A big spider seems unlikely, but a Blurry is a no brainer. I can't imagine that not selling out.

Reaction score
I'm only half paying attn these days so forgive the question, did we post the pre-order link on this one yet ?

Reaction score
Page Not Found. But thanks (as always), because your link will go live tomorrow!

Reaction score
Yeah, it's also the same for the other three Deluxe sets. These were links provided in the press release. If you look at the web address it'll have the codenames. For this it's "SW-VIN-STANZA".

So are these all thru Walmart or are the boxed ones all retailers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
So are these all thru Walmart or are the boxed ones all retailers?
One site verified with Hasbro/Lucasfilm that these are Wal-Mart exclusives. Yakface is also quoting them. However, Old Republic Collectibles is claiming they are not exclusives and they'll have them for pre-order tomorrow. All I know for sure is that they specifically gave out Wal-Mart links for all these.

Reaction score
One site verified with Hasbro/Lucasfilm that these are Wal-Mart exclusives. Yakface is also quoting them. However, Old Republic Collectibles is claiming they are not exclusives and they'll have them for pre-order tomorrow. All I know for sure is that they specifically gave out Wal-Mart links for all these.

Are there threads/links for the other packs? I didn’t see any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bac

Reaction score
I am operating under the assumption these are Walmart pre-orders unless they magically popup on another site tomorrow.

Reaction score
Still haven't decided if I'm going to shell out $27 for 1 1/3 spiders and an egg.