The little things that made you happy today

Reaction score
I am on a Sunday morning softball team. We play 2 games every week and we split yesterday. After every game, the "MVP" of the day gets a wrestling belt for the week. They bring it back the next week and they decide who gets it the next week. I ended up getting the honor yesterday, I had a great day batting, going 7-8 (7 hits in 8 at-bats). I just find it funny how I'm the only one on the team who doesn't watch wrestling and I get the belt haha.

(I'm on the right).

219176707_10101888938321209_71813149809867448_n.jpg

Reaction score
Another perfect day and good for going to the beach! but I have to pull Scotch Brooms and "carefully" weed whack weeds( so I don't get another poison seeds in my eyes"

Reaction score
Had a very nice day with the family yesterday.

Our daughter had her karate class and then we went to Tommy Burgers after because she's been asking for days to go there. After that we went to Staples to get school supplies for my daughter, but there weren't many sales so decided to wait. We did find new chairs to use at home for our computers. I'm not a gamer (just play from time to time) but I got a gamer chair which we tired out and was VERY comfortable. And since my wife recently got accepted into college to finish her degree, I thought, well, get her one too! So we ended up buying two at $159 each.

After we went to Dairy Queen for some ice cream cones, root beer floats, and another treat. We hit a 99 Cent store afterwards for some odds and ends, went to get the car washed, and then headed home. Even though the day was errand-type stuff, like the thread says, "the little things that made you happy."

Reaction score
What a wonderful normal day! everything you mentioned can be fun, esp. after a year and a half of "you should not go out"! Have you gone to the beach yet? Are you north or south? I lived in the Long Beach area for awhile-centuries ago.

Reaction score
What a wonderful normal day! everything you mentioned can be fun, esp. after a year and a half of "you should not go out"! Have you gone to the beach yet? Are you north or south? I lived in the Long Beach area for awhile-centuries ago.

Oh yes, my daughter's theme this summer is "water." So since you lived in Long Beach, you may be familiar with some places. We live in Lakewood, by the way. We've hit plenty of beaches: Redondo Beach, Belmont Shore, Colorado Lagoon in Long Beach, Castaic Lake a bit up north, the city pool, planning on hitting Mother's Beach also in LB, been to Cabrillo Beach along with its aquarium, and plan on hitting other places before we go back to school and work in mid August.

Reaction score
Long ago, I lived in Lakewood too and attended Alondra Jr. high and Paramount High School( I'm sure we are talking about the same Lakewood0 Lakewood Mall, used to be an outdoors place, my best friend and I used to go to the record store there for our 45's! my grandmother used to manage an apartment building on the boulevard in Long Beach, we used to go down a set of stairs lined with roses, banana plants and fragrant vines all the way to the beach. the sand was squeaky clean, the air fresh( no oil islands out there-yet) down town Long Beach was lined with Magnolia trees and healthy palms, the air was fresh and smelled like the ocean! But... not now, weep.. all gone

Reaction score
Long ago, I lived in Lakewood too and attended Alondra Jr. high and Paramount High School( I'm sure we are talking about the same Lakewood0 Lakewood Mall, used to be an outdoors place, my best friend and I used to go to the record store there for our 45's! my grandmother used to manage an apartment building on the boulevard in Long Beach, we used to go down a set of stairs lined with roses, banana plants and fragrant vines all the way to the beach. the sand was squeaky clean, the air fresh( no oil islands out there-yet) down town Long Beach was lined with Magnolia trees and healthy palms, the air was fresh and smelled like the ocean! But... not now, weep.. all gone

Yes indeed it's the same Lakewood. We live about 4 minutes from the mall. When I "discovered" the mall as a kid it was already an indoor one. I didn't live here back then though; only these last two years. Wow that WAS a long time ago. Funny that you mention Paramount High school because my wife grew up in Paramount and graduated from the HS in '93. We lived there for 10 years when we bought out first house. We outgrew it and now we're in Lakewood. It's still a great city, though, as more retailers and whatnot enter, you get more crowding and traffic. Do you have family in the area still?

My "little thing" for today: my daughter's karate studio notified us today that she's eligible to test for her next belt. She tests on August 7th.

Reaction score
I graduated from Paramount in '75, so I'm old! our senior class was the first to put on a motocross race on campus, we also had streakers! a 8 foot tall fence surrounding the campus. a very funny "incident" during my senior year, we had some streakers running through senior square and all about, they headed for the front gate that had been open, a couple got out then the last had to climb the fence because the nark closed it! he got stuck and "carefully" made it over, barely getting away! the students were not charged with anything, everyone laughed! the class of "75 was the last civilized class. The family I lived with)a foster home) lived right down the street from the mall, Do you remember the oil tank farm(can't remember the street) that led down to the high school . we lived right across from the tank farm. I used to go to the mall, to May Co. and buy Star Trek novels and other sci-fi books. It was a good time.

Reaction score
Every year my co-worker's and my emails are inundated with stuff.
This year, because of the pandemic and distance learning, I had TONS of stuff in there. As the year went by, I tried to clear out stuff and whatnot, but what we got was massive: admin stuff, district stuff, parent/student communication, announcements from school/district/sites the district uses, invitations for professional development, reminders for said PDs, notifications about stuff from Google Classroom, updates, electronic newsletters, and so on and so on. I've not even begun to skim the surface of the types of emails here.

Anyhow, in my email I have several folders such as primary, social, updates, promotions, forums. My main folder had around 300 itself, updates in the 200's, forums in the 200's, and dozens DAILY in the other ones as well.

On occasion over the last several weeks I've been clearing out stuff, saving attachments into my Google Drive, making folders for specific ones that I have to keep, etc. and I've gotten things way down. My primary is down to 64 emails as of now, social one is 0, promotions folder is at 1, updates at 2, and forums folder at 1. Phew!!!!! Definitely a brain drain.

Now, once the new school year starts in a few weeks, I'll try to keep it low. Every summer I have to do this, but with the hectic day to day stuff, and the constant influx of stuff, during the year, it's hard. But here's to making the effort!

Reaction score
Here here!

I just immediately delete everything I get regardless. That’s my method!

Reaction score
Here here!

I just immediately delete everything I get regardless. That’s my method!

You're much braver than I am!
As for work stuff, I delete a lot, but there are things that I must keep. Sometimes it's easier to just save the email (mostly those with certain attachments) instead of trying to save each individual attachment. I keep it in a label and just go to it if I need it.

As for my personal email, I find it easier to delete most stuff. But again, certain stuff I have to keep such as emailed receipts, contracts for stuff, etc.. I just throw them in their labels and done! I also try to unsubscribe from as much as I can. You know, you were interested in receiving this info or that and then it just becomes too much they send. So...unsubscribe and I eliminate a lot of clutter. Phew!

So.....

My little thing for today, taking the family to Knott's Berry Farm. We have passes, so we can go late and just hang out.

Reaction score
Knotts Berry Farm is still there? and open? wow, I've been gone too long! But, I did find that Housing Connections for Cele. next year has rooms available for $1850,better than $9000! I may have to take advantage of it, its only half a mile away from the Con. center!-No, I would not walk there.

Reaction score
I was half kidding about the deletes, but depending on the job I can only imagine how inundated some people must get with digital responsibilities!

Reaction score
Have you guys ever had a huge toy run planned out. You even have it all mapped out so you can make the most of your time and determine the best route. You were planning to hit all these stores only to find exactly what you are looking for at the very first store you hit. 😁

I was trying to finish my collection of these blind bag keychains (aka backpack buddies) of retro game controllers and handheld devices. I didn't have a chance to finish my collection before the sold out at the 2-3 Five Below stores I frequent. I planned to do a run of several Five Below stores that are a little out of the way for me, but within a reasonable distance to justify going. Wouldn't you know, the first store I went to I was able to find the exact 3 that I was missing. I was even able to take the display box since they were the last ones at that store. The worker said she didn't mind as they would just need to throw it out anyway.
Yy2uBdu.jpg

Reaction score
I try that at Cele.'s because we have maps of the dealer room areas, I try-very hard to see every booth and it never works, I get distracted by costumes and almost forget other events going on while trying to find that unique toy! then I come back through a different door and try to resume the hunt! so much to do.

Reaction score
Ahhh! today is much cooler than yesterday! it must've been 95 degrees, ugh. I hope we get a breeze too, during these strange hot spells, there usually aren't any breezes or wind. that's a real "ugh".

Reaction score
My daughter was student of the class today in karate. She had been wanting to earn that for several weeks now. My wife says she was really focused today, performed all her moves very well, and was helpful.

Sadly, I missed it. I was stuck at home waiting for a Habitat For Humanity truck to come by and pick up some couches we were donating. But I guess that is a good thing despite missing my daughter's karate.

Reaction score
Started "running" again today - It was a sad display. After a long hiatus due to a recent move, a back injury pursuant to said move, and a wicked case of sciatica, I'm paying the price. The new neighborhood has more hills than the old one, too... Per prior experience, three runs a week for two months should have me back up to speed. Of course, at 52 "speed" is a relative term. May have to acknowledge the years and go from three miles to two. At this point, my concern has shifted from being able to run down a crook to being able to eat the occasional stack of pancakes without needing new pants.

Reaction score
Hey, at least you’re trying! At 52 a lot of dudes sort of cease to! I say great job!

Reaction score
Thanks. When I haven't ran for a while it takes time to get the systems to come back online. First the airway will be irritated for a few days, then my lower back and hips will wonder what I think I'm doing, then my ribcage muscles, etc. Feeling okay today, but then again I didn't push myself too hard yesterday.

ETA: Been running fairly regularly for close to thirty years and still haven't experienced a "runner's high" yet. Starting to think it's a load of hooey.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Echo, you are not old! not a Force Ghost yet, have you tried bicycling and swimming to ease the pain and relax muscles? Yes! if you are going to go to Cele. next year, you need to be "fit" for standing in all those terrible lines! I usually take a tripod fold up chair with me because my knees hurt after standing so long, also due to knee injury, hard to "jump up" from the floor after the line starts moving after awhile! ugh. I am the Force Ghost.(creaky)

Reaction score
Paradoxically I’m too lazy to do anything other than walk outside and run a few miles. I used to swim a bit when I lived near a YMCA, but it’s a PITA to drive across town to a pool. Won’t bike because my self-preservation instinct is too strong. Got an elliptical the wife and daughter use but IMO nothing beats actual roadwork. As long as my joints hold out, anyway. 😄

Reaction score
I started using my wife’s elliptical during our state’s shut down. It’s easier on the knees but I find I lean on the handle bars too much.

Thing that made me happy today:
I also just learned the Mexican restaurant down the road hosts an annual Margarita 5k. 😳 Fundraise for charity and free margs to racers! Guess I’ll be hitting the pavement again too!

Reaction score
Echo, Are you ready for Cele.? If I'm to go, I need to lose some weight and get endurance in my feet! got to beat those long lines! I've had problems with my feet ever since Cele. 2 in Indianapolis, ugh. that's why I take along the tripod chair. got to get my bike fixed too, it's been a long time since I changed inner tubes and tires, but will remember it all. gotta get pumped-a little at least unless Cele. is cancelled again-hope not. BUT.... as for happy things, today is nice and cool out and the rain is back! the Harry Potter series is on, Olympic closing ceremonies later on. Can you imagine, Olympics in Paris France in 2024? L.A. in 2026?

Reaction score
Actually, I'm not into the big events... Did a few Comic Cons in the late 90's, but nothing since then. Much more of a homebody. :)

Reaction score
Echo, you are "young" compared to me, but if your health may hinder you, which could include me in a bit, then rest, I hope there will be a Star Wars 50th anniversary Cele. in the future. I went to the Star Trek 50th several years ago and it was full of old folks! esp. ones dressed up like Scotty! it was cute! you should try to think about the 50th of Star Wars, that too will be full of us old folks! and that's not offensive! let's look into those "Imperial walkers"!