The little things that made you happy today

Reaction score
Submitted a list of comics from the 90s to trade to this online comic shop and they approved it.
It was like 30 comics and a potential trade credit for $66.
I'm sure that will go down a bit once they receive and grade them, but I'm glad at least I was able to do away with those.
Once it's all set, I can grab some other stuff I want.

Reaction score
Got my package from LA. Got 2 test issue baseball items from the 60s. One of which I've only seen in a guide. But it's mine now in my collection. Great looking for 55 years old too.

Reaction score
I've bid on several rare items (non-Star Wars) recently. The eBay gods were smiling on me because not a single one got another bid. I think I spent about $150 less than I was planning.

Reaction score
A few months ago we did the coin activity in cub scouts (cubs thought it was mostly boing)

The assignment I gave them was collect coins from around the house & cash them in at the bank.

Well banks are not taking coins for various reasons so we did coin star. Collected enough coins to get the kid a nice LEGO set & a ITT for dad. (Dad said he was writing a check for the savings account.... free imperial transport!)

Reaction score
Well banks are not taking coins for various reasons so we did coin star.
Did they give you specific reasons why they're not taking coins? Do you know if this includes the coin machines some have in their lobbies? You'd think that with the coin shortage they WOULD be taking them.

Reaction score
A lot of banks removed the coin machines (liability reasons for stealing people’s money) some banks will give you wrappers then if you deposit the money it may take 5 days to count it. Let’s assume you don’t agree with the amount you deposit SoL.

Now with covid it’s even harder to get into the bank since the drive through won’t take the coins. Coin star was the least evil option (don’t take cash or else they take 12% of it.) gift card allows you to keep the value.

Reaction score
A friend of mine waited tables for 20+ years. He saved all his change in old water machine bottles and then finally took it to Kroger and started dumping it into a Coin Star machine. I don't know how many bottles he took, but he ended up breaking the machine and getting banned from Kroger. He got his gift cards but had to roll the rest and take them to the bank in small increments, something like $1000 total.

Reaction score
Yes there is a $1000 limit not really a problem for gift cards but might be if you try to cash out. The easy fix is to hit up the machines at different times getting smaller increments.

Reaction score
I’ve never used it myself. I was still waiting tables when my wife and I got married, and she collected all her loose change. Twice a year or so, we’d sit around rolling it then take it to the bank. I don’t think there was a limit to how much you could bring to the lobby back then. It was never a ridiculous amount, although one time we had over $100 in just quarters.

Reaction score
I changed the spark plugs in my 2004 Honda Jazz for the first time since I bought it 2 years ago. It cleared a check engine light and may have fixed a sputtering problem!

Reaction score
A couple of cool events took place over the last few days:

1) My oldest kid turned 18 on 9/11. Thanks to him, I can focus on the positive for that day, instead of dwelling on what happened the year before he was born. He completely ignored my hard-earned advice ("Avoid mud, join the Air Force") and enlisted in the Marine Corps, thereby continuing a family tradition of erratic and dysfunctional behavior. As a west-coast recruit, he'll avoid the reincarnated Drill Instructor souls known as "sand fleas" native to Parris Island. :)

2) Earned a few extra bucks in March while working a "virulent airborne biological hazard global pandemic" gig and ordered this. After a six-month wait it arrived today. Truly, "An Italian classic." Unfortunately, I had a dental implant screwed into my head yesterday so it'll be a few weeks until we get acquainted. The best part is that it's a tax-deductible business expense. ✌

ETA: The blaster is deductible, not the implant. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
So going through the basement looking for the 1 last piece for everything I want to sell on eBay & I find a weird piece that at first I didn’t know what it was. Turns out it’s a missing arm from my IG88 from when I was a kid. IG is one of the few figures I still have but I thought he lost his arms back in the80s so I have no idea how this thing survived ? # of moves decades lost in storage. Seriously I only had a small box of random stuff left from my mom’s purges.

I crazy glued the arm back on.

Attachments

Reaction score
So, on a day when I encountered a disconcerting level of anger and hatred online, I reconnected with two old friends. Both reached out to me unexpectedly, and completely unrelated to any of the ugliness I was dealing with. They’re both people who, philosophically speaking, are diametrically opposed to me, at least on most things. Each has stopped talking to me over those differences in viewpoints at various times. Today was just a little bit of completely nonpartisan kindness and concern. Nothing big, nothing groundbreaking, but a welcome respite from the daily awfulness that seems so prevalent at the moment.

Reaction score
I really want to see the Aurora in the next couple days! we are in a good position to see it, I'm willing to stay up for it too. after missing- for years, comets, meteor showers and other space fun-due to clouds, moon or bad position, it would sent a chill up my back!( like Star Wars Cele.!) Are any of you able to see it? have the time too? I hope you do!

Reaction score
3 days and counting till a romantic getaway with my girlfriend. can't wait. of course we will be staying safe and following social distancing guidelines etc... but the 2 of us just need a break from work and this weekend is going to be perfect