The little things that made you happy today

Reaction score
My thing was that my daughter just completed her first week of preschool.
The first 2-3 days were hard for her since she has never been away from us at all in her life. She's 3 1/2.
After two days of crying and screaming :wtf:, she adjusted well. The next couple of days she was just sad, but no more crying and has enjoyed her time there (only goes for 3 hours).
We've noticed a change right away in her, she's talking more at home and has attempted things she previously avoided.

Best part is that she's at the same school where I teach.
No daycare it sounds like Happy?

My wife was able to take a nice 5 month maternity leave, but we then were faced with daycare with both working full time parents (no other options sadly, my folks are older and can watch her for short periods but no day to day help). So here we are with my little girl almost 17 months and she spent the last year going to daycare. Sure, we have had some issues with staff there, and the endless sicknesses (ear infections, hand foot mouth, virus after virus) but she absolutely loves it there. Especially Toddler Room One - it amazes me the amount of words she has already. Most days I'm convinced we have a much older child in our midst.

Thrilled to hear things turned around at preschool. And what a nice bonus having her at same spot.

Reaction score
No daycare it sounds like Happy?

My wife was able to take a nice 5 month maternity leave, but we then were faced with daycare with both working full time parents (no other options sadly, my folks are older and can watch her for short periods but no day to day help). So here we are with my little girl almost 17 months and she spent the last year going to daycare. Sure, we have had some issues with staff there, and the endless sicknesses (ear infections, hand foot mouth, virus after virus) but she absolutely loves it there. Especially Toddler Room One - it amazes me the amount of words she has already. Most days I'm convinced we have a much older child in our midst.

Thrilled to hear things turned around at preschool. And what a nice bonus having her at same spot.
No, we didn't put her in day care. Before she was born we had decided that my wife would care for her until she was at least in Kindergarten, but since the chance opened up for preschool, we took advantage.
We could have put her in day care, but as you mentioned the issues that come up, we didn't feel comfortable.
My wife also had some complications after the c-section and it took a good while for her to recover. While that was bad, it gave her the chance to still be at home.

That being said, it has been tough to make it on one income, but we have managed. Cutting back and really watching our budget has helped, but some months are really tight.
But, in the long run, my daughter has benefited from being home. She's already going in to preschool knowing all of her basic colors, many numbers, lots of vocabulary, etc.

Sorry that your little one has had those sicknesses, but I'm glad she loves being there. It's always difficult seeing your child be sick.

Reaction score
My work doesn't regularly require me to work weekends, but this upcoming holiday I'm required to. But the payoff is getting time off on weekdays later that week to do less busy and quiet toy running w/o the weekend hassle. Plus I get to switch places with my wife (who deserves a break herself) commuting our son to his special school. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
What makes me happy today is this

Finding and buying a still sealed copy of Playstation 4 Mortal Kombat X game for just 2 dollars at the downtown thrift store.

Reaction score
going to see Venom tonight.... My mother in law asked if the kids could have a sleep over as I have to work tomorrow morning.. so I get a kid free night to go to the movies.. plus it's a 3 day weekend so that's always a good thinig

Reaction score
Went on an out-of-town business trip which included classroom and hands-on training with a test at the end of the week with a minimum of 80% to pass and retain your job position (...what is this, grade school?). Anyway, no time limit on the test as I was the VERY last person to leave the classroom. Got 100%. B)

Reaction score
Went to see Lily Allen in concert last night, sat right up front and got some great pics!

Reaction score
my week has been nothing short of stressful agony... topping it all off with my alternator going on my van and giving me a $800 repair bill... but 2 positive things have come out of today...

1st.. I purchased my tickets for the new Halloween movie on Friday so super excited to see Michael Myers back on the big screen

2nd... I was selected to be a NECA Target Store Representative for a store in my hometown so that's cool

Reaction score
Got a new reading light for when I read in bed.
Has four brightness settings, recharges by USB, and bends well towards book.
Both pages are illuminated as opposed to the other I had that barely lit up 3/4 of one page side. :p

Reaction score
Got a new reading light for when I read in bed.
Has four brightness settings, recharges by USB, and bends well towards book.
Both pages are illuminated as opposed to the other I had that barely lit up 3/4 of one page side. :p
Nice! I really need to get back to "reading" in bad vs. playing on my blasted phone for too long.

Reaction score
Nice! I really need to get back to "reading" in bad vs. playing on my blasted phone for too long.
Yeah, I've made it a habit for the last several years so it's pretty easy except for those days when I'm tempted by the phone's siren song.
Essentially I look at it as, "What am I REALLY looking at" on that phone?" So I just put it aside and read for a minimum of 30-40 minutes.
I think once you really think about, it gets easier to get back into it. It helps when you have a good book in hand.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
I decided to end my relationship with my significant other after 19 years which grew more agonizing and stale over the years due to our differences. I suppose I have myself to blame in all this since she expressed our gradual loss of love for each other to others along social media but which included aspects of our relationship that I felt should have been kept private. She also recently changed aspects of her lifestyle which I honestly didn't approve of, including drug use and party going. I know, some of us have gone down this road before. Is our relationship fixable?..... I doubt it at this point, but I can't feel but a certain degree of emancipation tonight when we put all our cards on the table considering we have opportunities to go our separate ways.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What you are saying is very common Deak. I had been through something similar years ago and have friends and family members going through it now. It's a bittersweet feeling.

Reaction score
I posted a few pages back about my daughter with Down Syndrome and I felt compelled to post a pic of my Star Wars girls. They don't make them cuter than that little one. She's 2 and can keep up with any 2 year old.

Reaction score
Updated my phone finally. It's like a new world.
Went from a Galaxy S5 to an S9.
Used my S5 to death though.
Yeah, I know, long time, but I just hate the idea of paying so much for a phone.
The lesser phones are, well, less in ways I don't want them to be less in.

It helps that I just paid off my wife's phone too.

Reaction score
Updated my phone finally. It's like a new world.
Went from a Galaxy S5 to an S9.
Used my S5 to death though.
Yeah, I know, long time, but I just hate the idea of paying so much for a phone.
The lesser phones are, well, less in ways I don't want them to be less in.

It helps that I just paid off my wife's phone too.
Dude.

Same exact spot! I have had my Galaxy S5 for YEARS - it has been an amazing reliable phone. I went recently to look at the S9, but goodness the prices! I never recall EVER having to drop that kind of money on my phone.

I am with Sprint....

Reaction score
I was in that same position. I held onto a motorola flip-phone for YEARS because I didn't see the point of updating to the "latest technology" *sigh* good times.

Reaction score
Dude.

Same exact spot! I have had my Galaxy S5 for YEARS - it has been an amazing reliable phone. I went recently to look at the S9, but goodness the prices! I never recall EVER having to drop that kind of money on my phone.

I am with Sprint....

Yeah, even though I'm doing payments every month it's still a rip off. Almost $800.
I'm with AT&T. I went to Costco thinking they'd have some kind of offers like a gift card or free case...nope. The case they had they wanted $45 for it. I was like, hell no. I found a good one for less than 20 on Amazon.
I liked the good ol' days where you did a 2-year contract and you got the phone for free or less than a hundred bucks.

I was in that same position. I held onto a motorola flip-phone for YEARS because I didn't see the point of updating to the "latest technology" *sigh* good times.
Yeah, dude. I had one of those RAZR flip phones and I loved that thing. It was so cool looking and reliable.

Reaction score
Good evening, fellow 'scummers...

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am in the midst of relationship separation after 18 long years together, so w/o going into the details, I suppose this would be a happy day for me in the sense that I'm on the road towards healing, independence and a chance to renew my life. Unfortunately, that also means letting of go my past which calls for leaving the collecting hobby altogether, at least indefinitely. Yes, I realize that seems like a shock like getting hit by a tons of bricks! So I've made the really HARD decision of letting go of my ENTIRE collection, not just Star Wars, but Trek, Joe, MASK and others that defined our childhood for those of us growing up since the 70's. I've began selling my collection to local comic/collector shops around the area as well give them away to charity. I've also decided to lend a significant portion to my significant other as a means to helping with her own financial problems. At this point, I don't have any intention of selling via other channels such as E-Bay, this site's ad page or any local requests despite the monetary value (therefore, there will be no response to private messaging either).

The other hard decision is to go on an indefinite hiatus on this forum, so this maybe my last post for a LONG time until I can reach a point in my life where I'm content again to recapture a hobby that made me happy but also carried its own share of sadness as well, if that makes any sense at all. Although I may lurk every now and then just out of curiosity, I will certainly miss all the discussions I've had with many of you in the past 16 (dang, has it been that long?) years as a frequent member here which undoubtedly has been a great forum for me to post here and connect with many valued members...so thanks to all. With that said, I bid everyone here a fond farewell, and despite whatever direction the future of Star Wars lead to, it'll be in our minds and hearts FOREVER. So long....Deak Starkiller logging out! B)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good evening, fellow 'scummers...

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am in the midst of relationship separation after 18 long years together, so w/o going into the details, I suppose this would be a happy day for me in the sense that I'm on the road towards healing, independence and a chance to renew my life. Unfortunately, that also means letting of go my past which calls for leaving the collecting hobby altogether, at least indefinitely. Yes, I realize that seems like a shock like getting hit by a tons of bricks! So I've made the really HARD decision of letting go of my ENTIRE collection, not just Star Wars, but Trek, Joe, MASK and others that defined our childhood for those of us growing up since the 70's. I've began selling my collection to local comic/collector shops around the area as well give them away to charity. I've also decided to lend a significant portion to my significant other as a means to helping with her own financial problems. At this point, I don't have any intention of selling via other channels such as E-Bay, this site's ad page or any local requests despite the monetary value (therefore, there will be no response to private messaging either).

The other hard decision is to go on an indefinite hiatus on this forum, so this maybe my last post for a LONG time until I can reach a point in my life where I'm content again to recapture a hobby that made me happy but also carried its own share of sadness as well, if that makes any sense at all. Although I may lurk every now and then just out of curiosity, I will certainly miss all the discussions I've had with many of you in the past 16 (dang, has it been that long?) years as a frequent member here which undoubtedly has been a great forum for me to post here and connect with many valued members...so thanks to all. With that said, I bid everyone here a fond farewell, and despite whatever direction the future of Star Wars lead to, it'll be in our minds and hearts FOREVER. So long....Deak Starkiller logging out! B)
Deak, I don't know you. I don't believe we've had more than a fleeting interaction even though I've been on here a long time aswell. I'm assuming you won't read this, but I felt compelled to share a little wisdom I first heard from a man named John Wooden. If you aren't basketball guy, this name won't mean anything to you, but he is often considered the best college basketball coach of all time and he has plenty to say about being a winner in life in general.

The Road Ahead or The Road Behind
[FONT=&quot]by George Joseph Moriarty[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sometimes I think the Fates must grin
as we denounce and insist
The only reason we can’t win
Is the Fates themselves that miss[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yet there lives on an ancient claim
We win or lose within ourselves
The shining trophies on our shelves
Can never win tomorrow’s game
You and I know deeper down
There’s always a chance to win the crown[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But when we fail to give our best
We simply haven’t met the test
Of giving all, and saving none
Until the game is really won[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of showing what is meant by grit
Of fighting on when others quit
Of playing through, not letting up
It’s bearing down that wins the cup
Of taking it and taking more
Until we gain the winning score[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of dreaming there’s a goal ahead
Of hoping when our dreams are dead
Of praying when our hopes have fled
Yet losing, not afraid to fall
If bravely, we have given all[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For who can ask more of a man
Than giving all within his span
Giving all, it seems to me
Is not so far from victory[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And so the Fates are seldom wrong
No matter how they twist and wind
It is you and I who make our fates
We open up or close the gates
On the road ahead or the road behind.[/FONT]

Reaction score
I went to a movie premier tonight for a feature film that my daughter had a part in, as an "extra".
(populating the hallways of a high school romantic comedy -- cafeteria shots, hallway shots, classroom shots, pep rally, football game, library shots, locker shots... that kind of thing).
I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer amount of screen time that she actually received -- my wife even got some screen time as a parent in the stands at a football game.
it was sort of like a 2-hour game of 'where's waldo' as I searched every shot for glimpses of my girl(s) LOL. and they both got their name in the credits at the end, so that was cool.
this was a pretty good night.

Reaction score
A few years ago I attempted to fill in the gaps in my original Marvel Star Wars comics.
Other than that, I hadn't bought a 'modern' comic since probably the mid 90s.
Today I went to a comic shop to pick up the first issue of a three part series called Arkham Dreams. It's a crossover(?) comic with Batman and The Maxx.
The Maxx was a great comic in the 90s of this guy in a purple suit that hung around this traumatized girl and occasionally fought crime and villains.
Anyway, glad he's being brought back even if for just a short time.

Only got one of the covers (there are 6 I believe) but they all look cool.
Picked up the one on the right.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Today I got to sit around and do absolutely nothing! I didn't do a single productive thing until it was time to pick the kids up from school It was freaking wonderful! I don't think I've had a day like this in about four years. :D

Reaction score
Busy weekend - movie on Friday with son and buddy. Dinner with good friend I haven't seen in years on Saturday. Sunday I took my sons to see Twenty One Pilots in concert and it was an amazing show, one of the best I have ever been too. It was birthday present for my youngest who just turned 12 and they are his favorite band and it was his first concert. Last night I went to the 49ers game at Levis Stadium. First time at that stadium and my first regular season game. They blew it in the end but still had a nice time with the buddies I went with.

Reaction score
when my daughter turned 12, I had to watch a 'Selena Gomez' concert.

you win.

Reaction score
Cleaned out my book shelf today. Rearranged some, moved a few out to another place, took off all the miscellaneous stuff I throw on there (charging wires, mail, magazines, etc.).
Put my "to read" stack together instead of on random shelves.
Listened to Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil and Too Fast for Love on my record player while cleaning. \m/

Reaction score
Seeing the YouTube video of Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge set to new, original JW music.

Reaction score
for the 1st time in about 6 days I actually had a nice relaxing night of deep sleep. the past week I've been unable to get comfortable, fall asleep or just plain relax.. last night a wave of relief washed over me and I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and full of energy!

Reaction score
With 2018 almost done, I had some time to sit back and reflect on the year. I have to say its been a pretty successful year for me.

- Closed on a home in January
- Moved in mid-April
- New car in September
- Girlfriend in October
- Red Sox winning the World Series
- A good friend of mine came back from California over Thanksgiving, so it was good to see him again. He checked out my home, and he now has a girlfriend so we did a double date. I'm happy for him, its his first girlfriend. It was the first time both of us were able to double date so I was happy for the both of us.

- New position at my job. I used to work in Emergency Road Service. I did that for 4 1/2 years and it got brutal. It was pretty much back to back calls everyday from when you went in until you left. My days were Sun-Thurs. Now I'm in Auto Glass, where I set up appointments for people who need their windshields replaced. The call volume is much lower, and I don't find myself exhausted when I get home. The best part is I have a normal schedule now, I work Mon-Fri, with weekends and holidays off! I think the last time I had a Sunday off was high school. I also have my own personal desk now and name tag, which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Picked up a General Veers for $14.99 for myself and some candy for my wife and daughter.
The "little" thing was that they were out of the smaller bags of M&Ms for 0.69 cents and only had the larger ones for $2.00.
They were for my daughter, but we don't let her have a lot of candy, hence the smaller bag.
Anyway, they gave me the larger bag for the 0.69 cents without me even asking.
So, my wife and I had a little extra treat.

Reaction score
I finally got some vindication on a work issue. I was accused of not following a particular process properly a couple months ago, which had the potential of my team being hit with a fine in the tens of thousands of dollars and someone likely losing their job. Despite documented proof that I'd never violated the process, the accusation kept coming back. There was nothing I could do other than keep re-sending the same documentation over and over and over. This afternoon the bean counter who's been making the accusation finally came back and said that it was all a misunderstanding. He'd not only been misreading the date (it was in American format and he's in Europe), he was looking at the wrong person entirely. The violator, who, as it turns out, was following process all along, was on the line below me in this guy's spreadsheet and he spent the last two months entering my ID instead of this guy's because he didn't bother to, you know, highlight the line or add borders or something. For two months.

Reaction score
Getting to meet, chat, 'graphs, and pics with Ralph Macchio / William Zabka (Daniel / Johnny) this last weekend.

Dream come true - this has been on the top of my list for a long, LONG time. My brother and I absolutely LOVE the Original Karate Kid movie/s and borderline obsessed with the resurgence of Cobra Kai.

Both guys were amazing to talk to...also got to meet Martin Kove (Kreese)!

Fun times.