The little things that made you happy today

Reaction score
The Caps beat the Penguins, finally! It almost feels like they won the Stanley Cup.
Yeah it feels like a curse has been broken or something. Good for the Caps, it was time to prove they could advance past the second round. I think Lightning vs Caps is going to be a great East final.

My Avs were out long ago but I was still happy they could go from worst season in NHL history to clinching a playoff spot and pushing the President's Trophy winning team to six games. Now that they're out I'm all about the Jets. B)

Reaction score
This was something that amused me more than made me happy. My team leader once again spent half an hour chewing me out last night over a report I sent out. It wasn't over the content but over my appalling grammar and complete mangling of the English language. This guy's the sort who won't let you speak until he's vented his spleen utterly and completely, which generally ends up in him either hanging himself or making himself look like a complete fool. To give you an idea of how the conversation went last night, several years ago one of my responsibilities was to edit all his communications before they went out so that our team didn't look like a bunch of incompetent boobs. The biggest problem with my report wasn't any grammatical failings on my part but the fact that I was tired when I wrote it and I forgot to dumb it down, or put it in "manager speak" as I generally say. In other words, I used $2-3 words instead of the 5-10 cent words I generally use when writing something for managerial consumption. Buddy was mystified by my polysyllabic word choices and a lot of my vocabulary. He had picked out half a dozen or so allegedly fake words that I'd "made up" for the sake of the report. He went through the whole thing and edited the life out of it, x-ing out semicolons, replacing them with ellipses (his all-time favorite punctuation mark), and replacing my "fake" words with words he understood but which didn't fit the meaning of the surrounding words even a little. Thankfully, our manager joined the call toward the end and got to witness the buffoonery in action. I still had to look up each of my "made up" terms for them to prove they were real, but once I'd shown that the one guy on the team who's been published (multiple times, including short stories, poetry and trade articles) actually knows his way around a word processor, our manager let me off the hook, telling me to dumb it down in the future, and telling Buddy not to mess with my reports anymore. I'd feel a bit vindicated if not for the fact that I know we're going to re-hash this scene in another 6-9 months.

Reaction score
My Gordon Freeman Half-Life 2 figure arrived from NECA today.
Missed it the first time around and was able to snag it right away.
Bonus is that I ordered on Monday and it was at my doorstep by Wednesday afternoon!

Also got in my Attack on Titan Season 2 blur ay today.

Reaction score
I picked up a big stash of CD's at an estate sale. For $25 I got a huge box full of about 150 CD's in cases and a bunch more loose. I'm still sorting through everything so I don't know what all is actually good. The ones in cases all seem fine but some of the loose ones are damaged. It was great because it's the sort of deal my friends luck into but I never do. I was able to fill a bunch of holes in my collection -- lots of classic rock (Beatles, Stones, Who, etc. but, oddly, no Zeppelin), and some great 80s stuff including a bunch of albums by one hit wonders (Modern English, stuff like that), and not a single compilation album in the lot. It will probably take me a few weeks to rip everything onto my PC and I have no idea when I'll get to listen to it all, but I'm thrilled about having a ton of new music to listen to. It's not as cool as the friend whose neighbor gave him her husband's meager collection of baseball cards after he died, which he later sold and was able to buy his first house with the proceeds, but I'll take it.

Reaction score
Been wanting to find a Jurassic Park shirt with a weathered looking logo for some time. Found the perfect one at Hot Topic after taking in Solo in IMAX 3D.

Reaction score
6 down. none to go.

after 18 weeks. my wife has received her final infusion of chemotherapy. with any luck this will be the last

now follows 3 weeks of directed beam radiation targeting the mammary lymph nodes.

and finally a chance for her body to recover from the cumulative side effects of the chemo which have been adding up over time.

one little victory.

final radiotherapy session was yesterday.

today was (supposed to be) her first "full day" back at work.

unfortunately , she only made it to noon , and then I picked her up and we 'played hookey' and went shopping for cars instead.

she bought herself one of these - we pick it up on saturday.

(same color / same wheels / same everything -- but this not our photo -- this is just a photo of the exact same car I found online)

# Y. O. L. O.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My daughter brought up all her grades for B's across the board for her last semester in 5th grade!! So happy!

That's awesome. We teacher love it when students can turn themselves around and do better. We're always here to support, but essentially it's the student's effort that makes it happen the most.

For my "thing," we have 5 days to go before the end of the school year.
It's been one of best in recent years. Student achievement was a lot better, as were behavior issues, etc. It wasn't without its challenges, but it was a relief compared to other years.

Reaction score
The bad: cleaned out my home/bedroom/office desk from all the papers, office supplies, charging and connection wires, receipts, business cards, etc.
Hard to go through months of stuff (and years of stuff if you count the that which you just push aside) without getting annoyed.

The good: found 13 Starbucks gift cards, 2 Lucielle's restaurant gift cards, and an IHOP card.
Ahh. The perks of being a teacher. Not many, but these little ones count.

Reaction score
More furniture came in today at my new home. Starting to feel like a home now!

Reaction score
Got the last meet and greet ticket to see my favorite current artist, Kacey Musgraves, in San Francisco. Now the hard part of waiting until next February, ugh

Reaction score
recently started an Instagram page for my toy photography projects and it's been fun just setting up toys and taking pics. I use a variety of different locations (backyard, woods, scratch built dioramas as well as the Extreme Sets Cardboard backdrops). here's a sample of a shot I took last night using the Extreme Sets Abandoned House 2.0 diorama.

I call it toy therapy as it's a way of relieving some stress from my busy days at work and it's a nice way to unwind at night or in the afternoon depending on the diorama. if you feel like following the adventure look for Jeff "That Toy Guy" Schnitzer on Instragram. I usually do everything from Star Wars, Marvel, G.I. Joe and whatever else I have or my mind cooks up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sunday - Found a pair of sneakers I actually liked. Been a long time since I found some because of my foot size and just being picky about the styles. And they were a good price.

Today - Dropped by one of the last few Kmarts in our general area and found: another pair of sneakers (this rarely happens), a bathing suit for my daughter and some tops for her, and a new lunch bag/drink bag we can carry around with us during this summer vacation.

Finally, pre-ordered the new Timothy Zahn SW book.

Reaction score
My little girl started in her Toddler room yesterday - and slept on her little cot like a big girl. :'(

Reaction score
My little girl started in her Toddler room yesterday - and slept on her little cot like a big girl. :'(
treasure these moments Beek as they grow so fast. I remember the days when my two were just starting in their toddler beds... now they are 6 and sleeping in separate rooms and have twin beds... time flies

Reaction score
treasure these moments Beek as they grow so fast. I remember the days when my two were just starting in their toddler beds... now they are 6 and sleeping in separate rooms and have twin beds... time flies
I try to ... just so exhausting most days. Dealing with daycare sicknesses, recently had a disaster of a vacation, sleep issues...sigh. But then those special moments happen, and all is right again.

Reaction score
Mine is 16, with 4 credits on her IMDb page. time files.

Reaction score
I try to ... just so exhausting most days. Dealing with daycare sicknesses, recently had a disaster of a vacation, sleep issues...sigh. But then those special moments happen, and all is right again.
Yup. One day it seems they're nestled in your arms and the next they're running around independently. It goes so fast you almost miss it.
And don't worry, the whole exhaustion, sleep issues, vacation problems, etc. will continue for a while.

Mine is about to start preschool in August! Ahhhh!
Our summer also started badly. A couple of weeks before I was off work she caught a cold. The whole thing, runny nose, mucus, phlegm, light fever off and on. During that time she was sick she slipped and fell in our back yard and scraped her elbow. The following day she got stung by a bee on her hand!!!
Then, on the FIRST Monday of my vacation we took her to those inside kid zone play areas and she hurt her foot jumping into a ball pit. Had to take her to the doc because she wouldn't walk on it. They took x-rays, checked her foot, etc. No breaks or anything, just seemed like it was a very light sprain. So she still wouldn't walk on it so we had to carry her around the house. Now, she is VERY independent as far as walking and getting around, so this was torture for her. Once she started to move around a bit she preferred to crawl and wouldn't let us help her. It was an awfully sad thing to see her crawling around the house all over the floor. :( After a week she was better and had a slight limp, but she was getting around.
Things were good for about a week and a half.
THEN............one day she rubbed her eye and she got an irritation or something. Her eye, from one day to the next, puffed up as though she had gotten into a boxing match with Muhammed Ali. Argh! It was so puffy her eye was closed, red, and irritated. So back to the doctor we went. They prescribed eye drops and antibiotics. About 3 or 4 days later she was a lot better. It took a few days for the puffiness to go completely down, but now she's better.

Fast forward to now, she's doing great. These last few weeks we've been going to pools, beaches, museums, amusement parks, science centers, parks, splash pads, etc.
So...you'll have those bad moments, but everything eventually works out. Just attend to her needs and go with the flow. I know it's stressful, but don't let it cramp your situation as a whole.

Reaction score
Yup. One day it seems they're nestled in your arms and the next they're running around independently. It goes so fast you almost miss it.
And don't worry, the whole exhaustion, sleep issues, vacation problems, etc. will continue for a while.

Mine is about to start preschool in August! Ahhhh!
Our summer also started badly. A couple of weeks before I was off work she caught a cold. The whole thing, runny nose, mucus, phlegm, light fever off and on. During that time she was sick she slipped and fell in our back yard and scraped her elbow. The following day she got stung by a bee on her hand!!!
Then, on the FIRST Monday of my vacation we took her to those inside kid zone play areas and she hurt her foot jumping into a ball pit. Had to take her to the doc because she wouldn't walk on it. They took x-rays, checked her foot, etc. No breaks or anything, just seemed like it was a very light sprain. So she still wouldn't walk on it so we had to carry her around the house. Now, she is VERY independent as far as walking and getting around, so this was torture for her. Once she started to move around a bit she preferred to crawl and wouldn't let us help her. It was an awfully sad thing to see her crawling around the house all over the floor. :( After a week she was better and had a slight limp, but she was getting around.
Things were good for about a week and a half.
THEN............one day she rubbed her eye and she got an irritation or something. Her eye, from one day to the next, puffed up as though she had gotten into a boxing match with Muhammed Ali. Argh! It was so puffy her eye was closed, red, and irritated. So back to the doctor we went. They prescribed eye drops and antibiotics. About 3 or 4 days later she was a lot better. It took a few days for the puffiness to go completely down, but now she's better.

Fast forward to now, she's doing great. These last few weeks we've been going to pools, beaches, museums, amusement parks, science centers, parks, splash pads, etc.
So...you'll have those bad moments, but everything eventually works out. Just attend to her needs and go with the flow. I know it's stressful, but don't let it cramp your situation as a whole.
Sounds like I have a bumpy road ahead. :|

Age 44 - I am too old for this level of stress!!!! :wtf:

Sorry your little one had a rough go there for a stretch! And thanks for the reply....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounds like I have a bumpy road ahead. :|

Age 44 - I am too old for this level of stress!!!! :wtf:

Sorry your little one had a rough go there for a stretch! And thanks for the reply....
I hear you, man.
Being a parent at an older age weighs on you, but don't worry, you will always find the energy and enthusiasm for her.
I just turned 47 the other day and at times it's difficult. Not that I'm not in the mood, but for a long time I had gotten used to going at just my wife's and my pace so it's a challenge to have that energy.
Rest assured, it's all worth it.

Oh, did I mention we're trying for another? My wife and I must be crazy. But hey, things happen when they happen. We were married for 10 years before having our daughter. It wasn't that we didn't want to, but couldn't.
My wife was 9 weeks pregnant when we found out. :eek:

Enjoy it all!

Reaction score
My wife and I conceived our first child (daughter) the night I came back from SDCC in '99 (no kidding). Now graduated from high school, she's planning for college (with my help). Whew! She grew up around Winnie The Pooh.....there was a Peter Ellenshaw (we know his son's contributions to SW) painting that I saw at the Disney store that I regret not buying, but she's looking forward to seeing the new Christopher Robin movie. It's nice to know there are things your kids may never outgrow! :)

Reaction score
Earlier this week we rekindled our relationship with our (sort of) estranged (sort of) niece. This is my cousin Blake's illegitimate daughter, our goddaughter, who we had to cut ties with when the garbage in my family decided to shun us for not being as awful as they are in order to protect her from receiving the same treatment. She's about the same age as our older kids and practically lived with us for several years when Blake was in "college" (that's the family's euphemism for his four year journey through alcoholism and rehab). She was the product of a one night stand and, in the eyes of a lot of the family, committed the unforgivable crime of having a mother who wasn't white. We were the only ones who loved her from the start (she was practically dumped on Blake's doorstep when her mother died, mainly because her maternal family didn't want her due to Blake's unforgivable whiteness), and the only ones who stood by Blake through his troubles. As such, we "babysat" her for several years, which essentially meant he'd drop her off Monday morning then pick her up on Saturday, occasionally taking her home at night if he was sober. She grew up with our kids and there was some talk of us at least getting guardianship of her until Blake cleaned up his act. When the garbage booted us out of the family (to this day nobody can really say what we did that was so offensive), Blake decided to turn on us as well in order to avoid getting the same treatment. By that time they'd all decided that Hope was light-skinned enough to "pass" so she'd been begrudgingly accepted into the family. A handful of them had even taken up helping Blake pay her tuition so she could go to private schools (they live in the absolute worst area of town, school-wise), and they told the two of them that if they didn't turn their backs on us, they'd cut out the financial support. Nice folks.

Anyway, we were at lunch on Wednesday and this young lady came over, asked me my name then gave me a big hug. I had no clue who she was at first. The last time we saw her face-to-face was about eight years ago but we have a couple mutual friends on Facebook so she recognized us. The most recent picture I have of her is from 4-5 years ago and I never would have known it was her if she hadn't said something. We were only able to talk for a few minutes but we got each other's contact information and have been in touch since. Sadly (depending on your point of view), the garbage found out about it and she's been uninvited from all family gatherings the rest of the year, including a wedding, Thanksgiving and Christmas. She's out of high school and working, though, so they can't hold finances over her head anymore and she wasn't too upset about her familial suspension.

Reaction score
Earlier this week we rekindled our relationship with our (sort of) estranged (sort of) niece.
Hey RomanXKnight,

That's awesome you had the chance to do this. From your story, you guys did a lot for her and I'm glad you had that chance to rekindle that.
Family is certainly a strange thing. It's funny how they disliked her for not being "legitimate" and not to their liking in her color, but then they take over and make you guys to be the bad ones.
While my situation is not like that, we are the "bad guys" in my so-called family and are pretty much on our own.
You mentioned that you don't know what you guys supposedly did, but it doesn't matter. When family/friends/etc. deem it that you're not what they want/like/whatever, then you're the bad guy.
As for myself, I know because it's that I speak my mind and don't just "go with the flow," especially when it comes to protecting my wife and daughter.
When you go against the grain, people don't like it.
But whatever. You know that you did what was right not matter what. Everyone else just came along to make themselves seem just as good as you were. They weren't.

I could go into pages and pages of things about family and friends and whatever, but this is the "little things that made you happy," thread. :)

Either way, it's good to hear that you did so much for your niece.
Always remember this: Family is not determined by blood, but by ACTIONS.

Reaction score
Always remember this: Family is not determined by blood, but by ACTIONS.
I second that. Actually, one of the things that made me happiest in the last ten years or so was when we came to the realization that we could sever our ties and that we didn't have to go back and be abused over and over and over. The abuse didn't stop for several more years (and actually got much nastier--anonymous threats, calls, falsified reports to CPS, etc.), but when I finally told my wife it wouldn't end unless we removed ourselves from it, and then did it, it set us on a path to peace of mind.

Reaction score
today marks 28 years of marriage... to the same girl. :p
I met my wife in the 7th grade, we were both 13. We became very close friends.
I lived in the 'best friend zone' for 3 years before we finally got together as a couple.
She was my first-and-only GF, and we've been together now unbroken for 33 years. (28 married).
She is, by far, the best thing that's ever happened to me. (and the ***iest girl on two legs). B) win/win.

Last edited:
Reaction score
today marks 28 years of marriage... to the same girl. :p
I met my wife in the 7th grade, we were both 13. We became very close friends.
I lived in the 'best friend zone' for 3 years before we finally got together as a couple.
She was my first-and-only GF, and we've been together now unbroken for 33 years. (28 married).
She is, by far, the best thing that's ever happened to me. (and the ***iest girl on two legs). B) win/win.
That's awesome, man. Congrats. Always good to hear when people can find and continue to have a great relationship for so a long time.

Reaction score
My wife made cookies from scratch today. She couldn't find the cookie scoop so she used the ice cream scoop.
They turned out HUGE. My daughter and I shared one and of course had a glass of milk with it.
It was a beautiful feeling to just sit on the couch and pass the cookie and milk back and forth.

Reaction score
Yesterday, out of the blue, I heard from two old friends I hadn't heard from in months/years. Both were unexpected and I heard from the second one about two hours after the first. I was a very pleasant surprise.

Reaction score
My wife made cookies from scratch today. She couldn't find the cookie scoop so she used the ice cream scoop.
They turned out HUGE. My daughter and I shared one and of course had a glass of milk with it.
It was a beautiful feeling to just sit on the couch and pass the cookie and milk back and forth.
Ahhh, good stuff right there.

Reaction score
After my four day weekend, I now start my four day work week, which will then mean the start of my two week vacation to Japan! B)

Reaction score
Yesterday a co-worker gave me 4 tix to the Smashing Pumpkinsshow. I reluctantly took them after he prodded me to. I love the Pumpkins but goingto a concert downtown on a Tuesday night doesn’t sound all that appealing to myold ***. Anyways I ended up going with my wife, sister and cousin and we allhad a blast. The Pumpkins played for three hours, almost 30 songs.
Bonus to thestory – just by chance my big boss happened to be seated in front of us. Whenwe noticed this he bought all of us a round of beers and when I got up to usethe restroom he was talking to my wife and sister about how there were goodthings coming to me at work!

Reaction score
^That's good stuff, LandoGriffin. Awesome.

My thing was that my daughter just completed her first week of preschool.
The first 2-3 days were hard for her since she has never been away from us at all in her life. She's 3 1/2.
After two days of crying and screaming :wtf:, she adjusted well. The next couple of days she was just sad, but no more crying and has enjoyed her time there (only goes for 3 hours).
We've noticed a change right away in her, she's talking more at home and has attempted things she previously avoided.

Best part is that she's at the same school where I teach.