The Last Jedi Toys - General Discussion Thread

JVM

Reaction score
Visually, TLJ didn't sell toys. After all, what scene would any kid play out from it? Maybe the throne room, but the rest was very dark and boring compared to how ANH and ESB was for us.
This has been a big part of my thinking since I left the film. ESB got a ton of mileage out of the extended Battle of Hoth and the bounty hunter sequence alone, and while Bespin was less inherently toyetic on screen, Kenner still managed to pull some cool stuff, too. Last Jedi did not have any scenes like either of those, or anything on that level for kids.

I don't want to go into the movie (my thoughts are in the appropriate thread) but a huge reason for its popularity with critics, I think, is that it was much lower on action sequences and world-building for more character stuff. I don't oppose this approach on paper, but one key result is even the two main action sequences are very small and basically character beats. The Throne Room sequence gave us some cool merchandise, but even the commentary on that is often reframing it as anything but an action scene, part of the emotional story, and then you have the Battle of Crait, which ultimately never becomes a full-scale battle... with the main action element, Crait Luke, being unknown to Hasbro. The space battle is mostly focused on a couple key vehicles and their pilots - cool but not enough to make kids go out and buy it. Then we have Finn/Rose on the Star Destroyer, which for all of the flack from adults as not being plotworthy, was probably a much more fun element for kids, and it's a shame the Finn/Phasma 2-Pack didn't end up on shelves imho since it was one of the more straightforward action moments. They tried very hard with Canto Bight but there's not a lot of time spent there.

The stuff on Ach-To with Luke, and Kylo Ren on Force-Time, that stuff is designed to connect with older audiences, but I can't imagine a kid finding much fun in it. I actually really like Ach-To as one of the ST's better contributions, but it lacks the complex environment of Dagobah, and Old Man Luke lacks the kid-friendly appeal of the wise but silly-looking Yoda. It was very much a Star Wars film aimed at adults instead of children - and I think that's part of why it has appeal to a certain audience that enjoyed it, so I'm not saying that in an insulting way - but those are facts as far as I'm concerned. R1 did prove you can tell a more adult story and still be toyetic though.

Reaction score
After seeing TROS last week - and really enjoying the film - I am disappointed that there was no real substantial toyline for the movie. Sure, there were some 6" & 3.75" figures that hit in September, but no real new vehicles/playsets to speak of - unless I'm missing something. Too bad, because I would really have enjoyed collecting a good # of new figures & vehicles from the movie.

Reaction score
Hasbro Toy Shop on eBay store is having a huge sale on all Force Link figures from TLJ. I got the Kylo Ren, Hux and the Rose/BB units set all for $11 total. It shipped super fast too. I ordered Thursday night around 11pm and got the figures on Saturday.

All I really wanted was the Hux (without the jacket it looks just like the character from TROS) but shipping was free for all orders over $9.99. I figured the black BB unit could be a cool background figure and the Ren I might be able to use the unmasked head for something.

Reaction score
This has been a big part of my thinking since I left the film. ESB got a ton of mileage out of the extended Battle of Hoth and the bounty hunter sequence alone, and while Bespin was less inherently toyetic on screen, Kenner still managed to pull some cool stuff, too. Last Jedi did not have any scenes like either of those, or anything on that level for kids.

I don't want to go into the movie (my thoughts are in the appropriate thread) but a huge reason for its popularity with critics, I think, is that it was much lower on action sequences and world-building for more character stuff. I don't oppose this approach on paper, but one key result is even the two main action sequences are very small and basically character beats. The Throne Room sequence gave us some cool merchandise, but even the commentary on that is often reframing it as anything but an action scene, part of the emotional story, and then you have the Battle of Crait, which ultimately never becomes a full-scale battle... with the main action element, Crait Luke, being unknown to Hasbro. The space battle is mostly focused on a couple key vehicles and their pilots - cool but not enough to make kids go out and buy it. Then we have Finn/Rose on the Star Destroyer, which for all of the flack from adults as not being plotworthy, was probably a much more fun element for kids, and it's a shame the Finn/Phasma 2-Pack didn't end up on shelves imho since it was one of the more straightforward action moments. They tried very hard with Canto Bight but there's not a lot of time spent there.

The stuff on Ach-To with Luke, and Kylo Ren on Force-Time, that stuff is designed to connect with older audiences, but I can't imagine a kid finding much fun in it. I actually really like Ach-To as one of the ST's better contributions, but it lacks the complex environment of Dagobah, and Old Man Luke lacks the kid-friendly appeal of the wise but silly-looking Yoda. It was very much a Star Wars film aimed at adults instead of children - and I think that's part of why it has appeal to a certain audience that enjoyed it, so I'm not saying that in an insulting way - but those are facts as far as I'm concerned. R1 did prove you can tell a more adult story and still be toyetic though.
To summarize...TLJ sucked.

Reaction score
I got the TIE Silencer for 50%. This ship rules. Pretty big ship for $25 and has a good weight to it. The missiles are well designed too. This thing is pretty underrated I don’t see a lot of people talking about it.

Reaction score
I got the TIE Silencer for 50%. This ship rules. Pretty big ship for $25 and has a good weight to it. The missiles are well designed too. This thing is pretty underrated I don’t see a lot of people talking about it.
Great deal - congrats. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Tie Silencer @ one of the discount stores for $20 about a year ago. I can't find it anymore, and it's currently somewhat pricey on Amazon ($50). You snooze, you lose - especially when it comes to SW collectibles - LOL.

Reaction score
I picked up one of these Tie Silencers for my son two weeks ago. I paid $25 as well. Great ship for that price.
My son pretends it is Kylo's ship from TROS and loves playing the Rey flipping over and chopping off the wing sequence.

ZX3

Reaction score
I picked up one of these Tie Silencers for my son two weeks ago. I paid $25 as well. Great ship for that price.
My son pretends it is Kylo's ship from TROS and loves playing the Rey flipping over and chopping off the wing sequence.
Seems like it should have been the TIE in that scene.
Showing the TIE Silencer get destroyed and then have the TIE Whisper show up as its replacement would have made a bit more sense than showing the Whisper get destroyed and then show up again shortly thereafter (and then get destroyed yet again). Sure, maybe he has two of them, but that kills the cool unique factor of it and keeping track of which one had the Sith Wayfinder in it becomes a thing.