The Last Jedi Toys - General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Ok gang, I finally put together my Last Jedi shelf and installed the lights. I had been displaying most of them on the playset on top of the main saga shelf unit.

It’s sparce but so was my Force Awakens shelf for the first year until more characters came out. My figs have all been repainted heads and have the best likenesses of any previous release years!

that's some awesome work.. can you post of pic of your Crait Luke without the robe? I've been wanting to make one myself but not sure which parts to use

Reaction score
that's some awesome work.. can you post of pic of your Crait Luke without the robe? I've been wanting to make one myself but not sure which parts to use
thanks! It's glued on to get the right shap. I used the RoTJ deleted scene black series luke body. Painted the upper tunic white and trimed the sleeves of a random prequel Jedi cloak. The cloak that came with that Luke would have been better since it was smaller/tighter but I already destroyed that for another custom. The head is the 5poa Last Jedi Luke that I gave a haircut with a dremel. Glove hand is from comic Luke w/sith whip lady

Reaction score
Check out this Bloomberg article about Hasbro and their STAR WARS - THE LAST JEDI toy line:
Hasbro CEO Admits Making Mistake With ‘Last Jedi’ Toys

Feel free to read the full article. But the gist of it? Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner stated that the toy line for THE LAST JEDI was released too far in advance of the theatrical release of the movie. And there is a consensus that there may be franchise fatigue with some 20 films fielding licensed toy lines.

The strategy moving forward may involve a toy line launch closer to the theatrical release of a film. And notably, the SOLO toy line is rolling out in April, approximately a month before the movie is released in theaters.

Reaction score
I think they’ve only captured part of the problem. They had very bland offerings with both 3.75 inch and the 6 inch line that were all too similar to the previous movie releases.

Reaction score
:rolleyes: It's always Franchise fatigue...
And what does rolling out toys for the movie a tad early have to do with anything? People are going to buy what they want to buy, regardless if it's released a month prior or a day prior to the Movie. Sales are sales, the same amount of toys would have sold had they been release later rather than earlier.

Just admit that you guys aren't making great toys anymore! Also that fact the Movie's lackluster character lineup doesn't lend well to people's interest in said characters or figures.

I wonder what their next knee-jerk reaction will be to offset their blunders?

Reaction score
I think the fatigue is real. Even for Star Wars. Previously we were looking at a movie release every three years, and not once a year.

And thinking outside of the collector sphere of interest? Collectors are the outliers, not the mainstream buyers. And that much was stated in the article. We tend to be the more forgiving client base that is ready to go three months before a movie release. But the more casual buyers? They're the ones that drive up the volume sales numbers. The enthusiasm of THOSE customers is what's being discussed in the Bloomberg article. In the Lucas era model, the toy line would be rolled out somewhere around 4 - 6 weeks before the movies. Doubling or even tripling that amount of time between a merchandise release and the movie release seems to be stretching the attention span of almost everyone involved.

Reaction score
I think they’ve only captured part of the problem. They had very bland offerings with both 3.75 inch and the 6 inch line that were all too similar to the previous movie releases.
The 3 year spacing between movies helped this before. There was time to explore the background characters that were interesting to look at, while also touching on the more significant characters. It had the effect of making the movies seem that much more rich because you wondered about the characters on screen who had toys made in their likeness. And the toy line seemed to have some depth. Because this process played out over the course of 2.5 to 3 years. But now it seems like there's a rush to cover EVERYTHING notable in one movie over the course of perhaps 6 to 9 months. The toy line is rushed.

Reaction score
I wish Hasbro would go back to the time of the TAC/Legacy lines and not focus on movie themed figures but rather give us a broad range of characters from all walks of the SW Universe both "canon" and "expanded universe". Let the fans decide what they want to buy instead of being force fed the characters that are only from the current film project/projects.

if I was to walk into my closest TRU store today I can pick up Finn from both TFA and TLJ as well as Rey from both flicks, Jyn, Hux from TFA and TLJ, Poe from TFA and TLJ... and I can almost guarantee that if Hasbro continues down the same path that they are on now by the time EPIX toys roll out we will see yet another version of Finn in his standard outfit (unless Lucasfilm/Disney decide to give him a new wardrobe, Poe in his standard Flight Suit (cause perish the thought that they give us his TLJ brown leather jacket figure single carded with more articulation), Hux (cause why wouldn't we need yet another version of the comical baddie in his black FO duds), Rey (let's face it we need yet another version of her as well in her now Jedi like gear), repack of Rose (cause she's selling like hot cakes!!! :p ).

at least if Hasbro went back to the Legacy formula they could offer fans these figures in addition to classic OT, PT, EU, CW Rebels etc and have them all under one card design etc. also as much as I like the 5 POA figures for the nostalgia Kenner feel, Hasbro needs to bring back super articulated figures. yes I know these will cost more than the standard figures but they sell. I'm curious to see what the price point on the Vintage line is going to be once it hits stores. will it sell, will it tank due to price and repacks of figures?

Reaction score
Every line for the new movies has felt rushed, and there are figures becoming online exclusives, when they should be at retail. I feel a great deal of enjoyment has been lost and fatigue has set in. I still like the hobby, but I am going to start phasing out actively collecting over the next two years as well. Episode IX is likely the last movie I'll be buying from. I'm hoping TVC adds some much needed variety, so I can end on a high note.

Reaction score
I'm hoping TVC adds some much needed variety, so I can end on a high note.
after the lackluster Wave 1 of the Vintage line I'm holding out for anything special. so far the only figures I'm excited for in the 1st Wave are Snoke and the Hoth Rebel Solider... the rest is an easy pass.

Reaction score
The 3 year spacing between movies helped this before. There was time to explore the background characters that were interesting to look at, while also touching on the more significant characters. It had the effect of making the movies seem that much more rich because you wondered about the characters on screen who had toys made in their likeness. And the toy line seemed to have some depth. Because this process played out over the course of 2.5 to 3 years. But now it seems like there's a rush to cover EVERYTHING notable in one movie over the course of perhaps 6 to 9 months. The toy line is rushed.
I think that's the issue TBH, no "break" times. So the lines a only bland movie choices. IMO, once the EU was banned, the line became very boring! And their reluctance to even make the obscure cool Aliens, further drives me away.

Reaction score
I think that's the issue TBH, no "break" times. So the lines a only bland movie choices. IMO, once the EU was banned, the line became very boring! And their reluctance to even make the obscure cool Aliens, further drives me away.
Yep, that was one good thing about it. EU was always hit and miss but brought many hits in terms of the figure department. Heck sometimes I bought some not to use as their proper EU characters but because I thought they'd make interesting looking (mostly OT) background dudes.

Reaction score
I won't be buying much from Solo, but I love troopers so I picked up a Range Trooper and Mimban Stormtrooper this morning. They didn't ring up, but the cashier did an override.

Reaction score
Remember when finding a paint flaw would result in people buying it as an “error.”

Hasbro fixed that scenario by making more paint flaws than properly painted figures haha

Reaction score
Is it odd that I find it kinda cool? Haha idk what it is but I sorta like the awkward simplicity of it. That being said though I'm getting the Lego one, not the Hasbro one

Reaction score
Oh, you mean like Rey's sideways Ice cream bar?
I get that it was supposed to be a junkers speeder and she was a poor scavenger and all. That doesn’t explain why it was such a stupid design. Anakin took a much sleeker speeder from the Lars homestead 50 years ago.

Reaction score
I get that it was supposed to be a junkers speeder and she was a poor scavenger and all. That doesn’t explain why it was such a stupid design. Anakin took a much sleeker speeder from the Lars homestead 50 years ago.
They're different planets, and it was a much different time.

That was also more of a bike, not an actual speeder like Rey's.

Reaction score
Close enough, really. Also, it appears as if she's sitting right on the engine. I'm no expert with vibration and heat that emanates from those, but surely there should have been a different place to sit? Perhaps a better design, taking that into account? Plus the fact she's a scavenger, hence needing a cargo area.

I think that if you're scavenger, you fix/re-purpose old thing into useful ones. So I'd have thought that one of the crashed Imperial or Rebel vehicles would have been utilized. Surely there were tons of stuff inside that downed AT-AT, or ISD?
m'kay

Reaction score
But then they couldn’t mimic Luke’s landspeeder in another useless call back to episode 4. Its the same overal shape and has a pretty similar looking grill material merely placed on the front rather that sides and it’s even pretty much the same color.

Reaction score
So other than Cai Threnalli - there really weren't any other alien figures in the whole Last Jedi line. Everything was human or armored and most were repeats (Poe, Kylo, Rey, Finn - in similar outfits as TFA). No wonder it was uninspiring. Of course it could have been a classic over-correction to the peg warming Zuvios, Gosses and PZs.

Very excited to see the designs of the Solo movie characters and corresponding figures. Enfys Nest looks awesome. More aliens on the way too in future waves.

Reaction score
That was the major failing of the TLJ line, no aliens or new characters to excite the audience. The figures were good, but character selection offered nearly no diversity.

Reaction score
That was the major failing of the TLJ line, no aliens or new characters to excite the audience. The figures were good, but character selection offered nearly no diversity.
What are you talking about, they had two new “Orintal grils” as KingofSting so eloquently calls them.

Reaction score
You are still using offensive speech even when you credit the ignorance to someone else.
It’s satire, not actually beliefs I hold. I just wish Disney would include diverse character and then give them something interesting to do. I was really hopeful Finn would be a Jedi or something but nope, just a janitor. Rose is just a technician that serves to be some type of fan girl in an attempt to be relatable or something. Disney is still doing a good job of keeping the lightest at the top.

Reaction score
It’s satire, not actually beliefs I hold.
And yet it is still you that is writing an offensive, racial slur even if you don't believe it. It has no place here, sorry if I am too sensitive to it. Please be mindful of it in the future at the least.

Reaction score
And yet it is still you that is writing an offensive, racial slur even if you don't believe it. It has no place here, sorry if I am too sensitive to it. Please be mindful of it in the future at the least.
Make no mistake I said it with the intention of ridiculing people who actually say those things. The only people I would want offended by it are the people who actually think it’s okay to call a character a racial slur.