The Last Jedi Toys - General Discussion Thread

GNT

Reaction score
Please use this thread to discuss possible Episode 8 toys.

***Warning this thread may contain spoilers! Proceed at your own risk***

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think we may need a thread for Episode 8 toy discussion. Because today a couple of the British Royals toured the Episode 8 set at Pinewood studios today. On hand were director Rian Johnson, Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy and cast members Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega. They were also joined by Chewbacca and BB-8. And on the set were three Resistance starfighters, including a T-70 X-Wing and two A-Wing fighters. One of those was in the traditional red & white color scheme from ROTJ, and the other was in the blue & white markings from the original Ralph McQuarrie design. These ships were all on a set that looked very much like some sort of Rebel/Resistance hangar bay.

Reaction score
Yes agree an episode VIII thread needed as more info is released. Good to see a wings, hope we get b wings and a few new fighter designs going forward

Reaction score
Hope the A-wings and B-wings make a return as well. I was a bit baffled we didn't see any in TFA, as during ROTJ they were new crafts.

Reaction score
Hope the A-wings and B-wings make a return as well. I was a bit baffled we didn't see any in TFA, as during ROTJ they were new crafts.
People assumed they were new vehicles in ROTJ; but that was never stated onscreen. The Rebels series has actually established both A-Wings and B-Wings as being around prior to ANH.

Reaction score
People assumed they were new vehicles in ROTJ; but that was never stated onscreen. The Rebels series has actually established both A-Wings and B-Wings as being around prior to ANH.
Ah, thats me going back into the old EU again, at least with the B-wings. I remember in the old EU the A-wings were in the ANH era and B-wings started appearing right after Empire (I'm going by video games, notably the X-wing series and Rogue Squadron series).

I still need to watch Rebels.

Reaction score
Dont forget during TFA a state of war does not exist, the Resistance is an off shoot of the New Republic and is only tolerated by them, so they would not have access to the amount of hardware they had during the civil war. With the Republic now gone and the Resistance as the last line of defence against the First Order I would expect it to now resemble the Rebellion with more varied starfighters appearing.

GNT

Reaction score
Here we go, a thread to discuss Ep8 toys. Bring on some A-Wings and space horses!

Last edited:
Reaction score
would love to see a new 'updated" A-Wing similar to how we saw a new updated X-Wing. I'd also love to see perhaps a new updated Y-Wing and maybe an all new Resistance style starfighter.

Utinniii

Reaction score
[If it isn't to late, can you put SPOILERS!! in the title as I see this thread becoming dozens of pages long very quickly so the message will be lost.]

I want the Alien Opera guys and at least one more of the aliens we've seen represented.

ZX3

Reaction score
The old Droids cartoon, which was set before ANH, has A-Wings in it. So really we've known that they're not new since 1985.

Reaction score
The old Droids cartoon, which was set before ANH, has A-Wings in it. So really we've known that they're not new since 1985.
I thought those were retconned into R-22 Spearheads?

Reaction score
Yep, I just wasn't sure if Droids was still considered a part of the canon. I was 12 years old when that cartoon premiered, in 1985, and even back then I knew that they only included the A-Wing in the show because Kenner needed to sell the toys. :grin:

Reaction score
^^^Yeah, the A-Wing came out so late in the Return of the Jedi line, I was already done collecting at the time and had already moved on to G.I. Joe. The A-Wing reminded me so much of the Buck Rodgers Star Fighter that I already had.

Reaction score
Speculate.... Resistance Rey w/ Luke's helment in a POTF A-Wing

Great photo! The presence of those A-wings makes you wonder what role they might play in the film. The colors of the new A-wing look like they match up with the ROTJ version, but in this case the paint apps got inverted:

Reaction score
It has some serious McQuarrie inspiration, right down to the little details:

Reaction score
Great photo! The presence of those A-wings makes you wonder what role they might play in the film. The colors of the new A-wing look like they match up with the ROTJ version, but in this case the paint apps got inverted:

I was at the Celebration event when Rian was talking about filming VIII and he was talking about how they watched a number of old films to get a feel for how he wanted the tone of the film to be, one of those films was '12 'O Clock High', which after completing filming he noted a lot of that movie translated through, here is a brief synopsis:

• In this story of the early days of daylight bombing raids over Nazi Germany, General Frank Savage must take command of a "hard luck" bomber group. Much of the story deals with his struggle to whip his group into a disciplined fighting unit in spite of heavy losses, and withering attacks by German fighters over their targets. Actual combat footage is used in this tense war drama.
    - Written by KC Hunt <khunt@eng.morgan.edu>

Reaction score
Putting A-Wings in Rogue One and Rebels is a shame. They were always meant to be new, fast technology when ROTJ originally came out as I distinctly recall reading at the time.

Reaction score
Putting A-Wings in Rogue One and Rebels is a shame. They were always meant to be new, fast technology when ROTJ originally came out as I distinctly recall reading at the time.
Pretty sure these A-Wings are for Ep8, not Rogue One. Either way, the idea that the A-Wings were new technology in ROTJ seemed to be thrown out the window when they appeared in the Droids cartoon (for no other reason than Kenner needed an excuse to release the toy in Droids packaging), which took place before ANH. Besides, it was never actually mentioned in ROTJ that the A-Wings (or B-Wings) were new, more advanced fighters. That was all part of the EU that was thrown out when Disney took over.

However, even if the A-Wings were the latest technology for ROTJ, that doesn't negate their appearances in previous eras. It can take decades for a new aircraft to be developed, tested and put into service in our world, so it doesn't seem far fetched that the same could be true of the Star Wars universe.

Reaction score
Besides, it was never actually mentioned in ROTJ that the A-Wings (or B-Wings) were new, more advanced fighters.
Im pretty sure I heard at one point that Disney broke it down saying they see it as there were several factions of the Rebellion working across the galaxy, some had more X-wings, others B-wings and A-wings. Then when it came to the big fight in ROTJ, they called them all in. So there was clearly more out there than we previously saw. (Including possible Jedi?)

Reaction score
That makes sense. Kanan/Hera's faction may never have crossed paths with the one Luke joins. Which would have been Leia's? And she never crossed paths with kanan. :whistling:

Joking aside though, you are right about different faction having access to different ships etc. A-Wings might have just been new the cell Luke joined.

Reaction score
If you follow the OT timeline, you see that the Battle of Hoth was actually a disaster for the Rebel Alliance. They were able to escape, but they lost a lot of personnel and materials. The attack in ROTJ was basically the whole rebel fleet. Ackbar and Mon Motham decided to roll the dice and bet everything on that battle. Also, the Rebels would have then called out for their best pilots and People. Also, if they knew the Emperor and Vader would be there, wouldn't they be smart enough to know that anybody with force skills should have been at Endor?

Reaction score
Yeah, plus I always felt that Yoda and Kenobi just ASSUMED they were the last since they never heard from other Jedi. But after the purge who could blame any surviving Jedi for laying low.

GNT

Reaction score
Poor Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill, just waiting for his scene, due to the huge amounts of screen time in TFA (his such a scene hog) they've cut his scene to half of that :p ;)

But in all honestly it's nice to see both on set, hopefully a Luke figure this time around.

JVM

Reaction score
#ForceFriday 2017 Predictions
New Rey costume
New Finn costume
New Poe costume
New Kylo Ren (repack, new mold or, maybe new costume)
First Order Stormtrooper (repack or new mold)
Luke Skywalker (TFA style for now)
General Organa
New Character, probably one of the new actors
9-10 (more Imperials)
11-12 (new Aliens)

If Luke has an additional outfit as suggested, save it for a later wave.

Reaction score
I predict a bunch of new characters that it turns out will get like 2 seconds of screen time

Reaction score
It would be totally hilarious if Poe, Finn etc. wore the same outfits throughout EP8. I wonder if Hasbro would make new figures of them, or just re-release the TFA ones?
TBH, I'll probably only get Luke. I already have everyone else, and have no interest in multiple versions of these new characters.

Also depends on what's new, or if they decide to make a TBS Hux.

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how next years waves are handled, because as far as I know, the Han Solo film is still scheduled for May 2018... That means, we could see the first 3 waves of black series 6" dedicated to Ep 8, then 3 waves dedicated to Han Solo film. I'd also suspect the same will be for the 3.75 5POA figures, with the waves split up into 16 to 20 some figures for Ep8, and 10 to 15 figures for the Han Solo film over 6 to 7 case mixes with more delay than normal in the distribution. I wouldn't be shocked if we see Force Friday be in mid October next year.

Regardless, I predict the first wave of 6" will have the following:

Old Luke
General Leia
New look FO Stormtrooper
Maz Kanata

Then it's up in the air, because Lord Vikram, Admiral Ackbar, Chala (Kelly Marie Tran), Nien Numb, Knights of Ren, R2D2, along with new looks for Kylo, Finn and Poe are also potentials.. I'm sure there are other characters in this film too that will come to the forefront.

As for first wave of 3.75 5POAs - I suspect a case of 12 with 7 new figures. Old Luke, General Leia, FO Stormtrooper, New Kylo Ren, New Rey, Lord Vikram (Benicio Del Toro), and Lieutenant Connix are all probabilities.

I don't think we will see nearly the amount of figures for episode 8 that we saw for TFA. I bet the amount produced are half.. And with the Han Solo film on they way, they'll be ramping up to move quickly into producing figures for both films.

I also think we could see a few Rogue One figures that haven't been made yet mixed into the six inch line. Figures like Saw Gerrera, Bodhi Rook, Fleeet Troopers, and Tarkin are real possibilities for next year. Also, they'll have at least one or two prequels characters... I suspect Padme, Mace Windu, Count Dooku, or General Grievous could enter the mix. Also, OT figures like Jawas, Dengar, Ewoks, and Jabbas Henchmen (I almost would think some of these will be in the Han Solo Film) are still are sitting out there..