The Last Jedi - General Film Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Speaking of the DVD and blu Ray for Last Jedi , they're bragging big time about 14 deleted stuff.

Ooh, wow. 14 really? LOL please.

I have movies from horror, sci fi and comedies for dvd that have more than 14 for deleted scenes and alternate endings

Reaction score
As long as the movie was, it's hard to believe that they cut 14 scenes. TFA only had 6 deleted scenes.

Reaction score
The most impressive deleted scene would the one where Finn wakes up from his coma and it turns we actually viewed his nightmare known as The Last Jedi. Even better if the entire movie was just a giant deleted scene.

Reaction score
This was the most interesting and exciting Star Wars motion picture since THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

It is, of course, intended to comment upon and repel old, toxic, male fans who are tied to their fan-fiction ideas and expectations.

It is only a simple children's fable full of outlandish moment, one after the other, yet it takes time to develop characters - not just demonstrate archetypes.

It is a gorgeous looking movie, full of new ideas - a much-needed cracking open of the STAR WARS concept.

Did we really think they were going to hang a modern franchise on Mark Hamill? He looks awful (cigarettes will do that) and his acting has not improved. This utilized him about as best as could be.

In summary, I think it was the best made entry of this series since 1980.

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure we didn’t watch the same film.

There must have been a rift in the space time continuum and some of us saw different universes versions of this film, the Mengele effect.

Reaction score
This was the most interesting and exciting Star Wars motion picture since THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

It is, of course, intended to comment upon and repel old, toxic, male fans who are tied to their fan-fiction ideas and expectations.

It is only a simple children's fable full of outlandish moment, one after the other, yet it takes time to develop characters - not just demonstrate archetypes.

It is a gorgeous looking movie, full of new ideas - a much-needed cracking open of the STAR WARS concept.

Did we really think they were going to hang a modern franchise on Mark Hamill? He looks awful (cigarettes will do that) and his acting has not improved. This utilized him about as best as could be.

In summary, I think it was the best made entry of this series since 1980.
that's a bold statement to make and I'm happy you enjoyed the film as much as you did... that's the magic of SW.. it can still hold the hearts of those young and old as well as usher in a new fandom of followers. I enjoyed the film as well but it's not in my top 5 choices... I think TLJ is listed as my 7th favorite SW film

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure we didn’t watch the same film.

There must have been a rift in the space time continuum and some of us saw different universes versions of this film, the Mengele effect.
Not to go off topic, but you're thinking of the Mandela effect. Mengele was a Nazi scientist who was pretty much insane.

Reaction score
Not to go off topic, but you're thinking of the Mandela effect. Mengele was a Nazi scientist who was pretty much insane.
Textbook example of the Mengele Effect. See people think it’s about Nelson Mandela dying in prison but it's called the Mengele Effect because people have the memory of Josef Mengele being apprehended in Ohio in 1970.

Reaction score
Textbook example of the Mengele Effect. See people think it’s about Nelson Mandela dying in prison but it's called the Mengele Effect because people have the memory of Josef Mengele being apprehended in Ohio in 1970.
Or like how everyone remembers Sinbad being in a movie called Shazaam...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Utinniii

Reaction score
This is new to me. Weird
ot if you watch the X-files.
N

I have 2. I vividly remember the cut scene of Luke training with a Remote Droid with Yoda. Luke says how easy it is and Yoda just looks at him as 5 more remote droids levitate behind him.

In Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the main guy tells the girl that the missing ingredient is "rat turds".

The first is from the novel and the second is from Mad Magazine, but I'm not the only person that remembered them as being from the movies.

Reaction score
Someday there will be a Solo effect where people could have sworn Han shot first, only to be dismissed as a false memory. We will never forget. ;)

Reaction score
Someday there will be a Solo effect where people could have sworn Han shot first, only to be dismissed as a false memory. We will never forget. ;)
Rip your VHS tapes and put them on the internet archive, so in the future people will know the truth.

Reaction score
Ok, how was Luke weak in BF2? He was the exact same as he always was.
I have to say, that is the worst iteration of Luke Skywalker I have ever seen. I didn't play the game. I guess his actions and mannerisms made sense to the story, which I will continue to remain clueless about, because I simply do not care for it. It looks and sounds nothing like Mark Hamill. In fact I made closer versions of Luke as the playable character in Star Wars Galaxies. Apparently A "general similarity" is okay in Star Wars now. Even in video games a remote approximation of the character will do, while spending millions on a digital Grand Moff Tarkin. Now there was a movie that respected the classic characters and the scope of work laid down as a legacy before it.

Reaction score
I have to say, that is the worst iteration of Luke Skywalker I have ever seen. I didn't play the game. I guess his actions and mannerisms made sense to the story, which I will continue to remain clueless about, because I simply do not care for it. It looks and sounds nothing like Mark Hamill. In fact I made closer versions of Luke as the playable character in Star Wars Galaxies. Apparently A "general similarity" is okay in Star Wars now. Even in video games a remote approximation of the character will do, while spending millions on a digital Grand Moff Tarkin. Now there was a movie that respected the classic characters and the scope of work laid down as a legacy before it.
I haven't played the game, just watched some gameplay. I was surprised that Bob Bergen wasn't voicing Luke, as he's considered the "audio double" for Mark Hamill.

Reaction score
Just watched it for the third time. It's weird because I like it more each time. The first time I didn't know what to expect and unfortunately had heard some of the hate for it before viewing it. I liked it but there was a little underlying dissonance. Second time I let go of all expectations and loved it. This last time I found myself trying to analyze all of the things people are saying they hated about it, and I have to say that the movie did a pretty good job of laying out everything that transpired, everyone's motivations, etc.

In fact it made so much sense how things went down with Luke that I don't see how it could have happened any other way. He said it all himself "Did you think I came to the hardest to find place in the galaxy because I wanted to be found?" I'm paraphrasing, of course. We knew he was in hiding. We knew what happened with Kylo Ren, or had an idea.

The technical elements of the film, yeah one could nitpick on those as with any SW film. And maybe the character development wasn't always there for the newer characters. The ST has its issues, for sure. But the biggest divide seems to be coming from Luke's story. I thought he went out like a champ. There was conflict in him, but he resolved it in the end and left a legacy. I mean what more did anyone want?

Reaction score
Before the movie I've heard only the overhyped reviews, but it was the same with Force Awakens and Rogue One, so I tried to keep my expectations down. But I liked it. The Star Wars movies have a lot of emotional baggage for me, so I need to see the new movie twice to get my opinion sorted. The First time with Force Awakens I was disapointed about the New Hope repeats, but the second viewing, where I knew what will happen I could just enjoy the movie as a movie, and not as FINALLY NEW STAR WARS THAT'S NOT PREQUEL.

The same with TLJ kind of. At first I was angry about few things, but I get to like them in the end. But I feel like they should keep Luke alive once they knew Carrie wouldn't be there for episode 9. But on the other hand - that leaves with clean slate with only new characters for episode 9. So maybe it's good.

Reaction score
That's kind of the same way it was for me with the new movies. I had to see them all twice before I could really sort it out, but I liked them all even more the second time. The thing that bugged me about TLJ was the bad humor, and the fact that he killed Snoke. I see why he did it, though, because Kylo has to stand on his own two feet.

I can't say I'm really happy that Luke was killed off, as I was looking forward to seeing more of him, maybe one last lightsaber duel, which we never saw. There may have been a way to save him digitally after learning of Carrie Fisher's death, but I'm pretty sure the movie and everything was mostly done when it happened.

Here's hoping they can come up with something good for Episode 9. It would have been nice to have a few of the old characters survive to see it, but now we'll really see if the new characters step up.

Reaction score
That's kind of the same way it was for me with the new movies. I had to see them all twice before I could really sort it out, but I liked them all even more the second time. The thing that bugged me about TLJ was the bad humor, and the fact that he killed Snoke. I see why he did it, though, because Kylo has to stand on his own two feet.

I can't say I'm really happy that Luke was killed off, as I was looking forward to seeing more of him, maybe one last lightsaber duel, which we never saw. There may have been a way to save him digitally after learning of Carrie Fisher's death, but I'm pretty sure the movie and everything was mostly done when it happened.

Here's hoping they can come up with something good for Episode 9. It would have been nice to have a few of the old characters survive to see it, but now we'll really see if the new characters step up.
There was time, Johnson is saying this in the interviews that they were considering killng off Leia in place of Holdo, but that would cut out Leia and Luke reunion. So they left is as it was and the next guy will have to sort it out. And the Luke fate was always this grand gesture to keep the rebelion alive and became a legend. I dig it. After the second time of course. The first time was all "whaa?".

But I feel like Luke can come back in the IX. He can be a comedy force ghost like Yoda. Maybe not showing to Rey, but to Kylo to make him more frustrated.

They will keep Chewie around I think. And there are rumours that Lando may come back, cause the started working out. Hopefully C3PO will be once again reduced to cameos.

Reaction score
I have this suspicion that if Lando is Episode IX he will turn up right at the end as Chewie's lift to Kashyyyk.

Reaction score
At this point adding Lando kind of seems almost pointless, since all of his old friends will be dead. I guess Nien Nunb survived, so maybe he could actually have more of a role than he has up to this point.

When I first saw the scene with Leia in space I actually thought they might have killed her because it looked like she was semi-transparent and you could see the stars behind her. I guess that was supposed to be space dust from the explosion, though. It would have been better that way but yeah it was good she had that reunion with Luke.

A comedy force ghost to harrass Kylo Ren? Lol that would be interesting...

Reaction score
That people are rooting for comedy force ghosts of the most popular hero from the saga is just further evidence that my interest in modern Star Wars is sub-zero.

Star award used to perfectly balance gravity and humor. Now it doesn’t know what it wants to be.

Reaction score
In response to Leia, I feel that they couldve edit/cut out the space walk scene after Carrie's passing, tweeted her later scenes, and used the "reunion" as a means to show she was force sensitive by having her as a force spirit only luke could communicate with or see even. And they sure as hell had time to cut out the luke fading away death scene. But now given how tlj was finalized, ep9 may not do any worse if they revealed tlj luke was really "luuke" ( who thought he was the real luke-- again borrow and twist a plot from classic EU) and a ploy set up by snoke to lure the real luke out because he knew rey eventually woyld be "awaken". Heck, make tlj snoke a fake as well to trick kylo. Let's go for broke and say snoke is still alive and really is/was Ezra and his transformation is a result of the crazy final arc of rebels.

Reaction score
One last thing...ep9 could revisit the sarlac pit and have kk and rj fall in.

Reaction score
Loved it the first time and it continues to get better with each viewing. Really good to see that some people in here gave it a second chance and watched it with an open mind.

Reaction score
I have to give a second chance those movies. The expactations after so many years is impossible to fulfill, so I have to watch it again with clear mind with knowing what is is and not expecting god know what.

Loved it the first time and it continues to get better with each viewing. Really good to see that some people in here gave it a second chance and watched it with an open mind.

Reaction score
These Disney movies feel like corporate fan fiction to me. I’ve been incredibly disappointed with most of these films, hopefully the obsession with rehashing the OT will soon come to an end.

Reaction score
In response to Leia, I feel that they couldve edit/cut out the space walk scene after Carrie's passing, tweeted her later scenes, and used the "reunion" as a means to show she was force sensitive by having her as a force spirit only luke could communicate with or see even. And they sure as hell had time to cut out the luke fading away death scene. But now given how tlj was finalized, ep9 may not do any worse if they revealed tlj luke was really "luuke" ( who thought he was the real luke-- again borrow and twist a plot from classic EU) and a ploy set up by snoke to lure the real luke out because he knew rey eventually woyld be "awaken". Heck, make tlj snoke a fake as well to trick kylo. Let's go for broke and say snoke is still alive and really is/was Ezra and his transformation is a result of the crazy final arc of rebels.
While all of that sounds ridiculous...it would essentially write TLJ out of existence and I'd be ok with it.

Reaction score
While all of that sounds ridiculous...it would essentially write TLJ out of existence and I'd be ok with it.
Its hard for me to attach these to actual Star Wars films. Obviously Disney has a vested interest in making us believe they’re connected to the Star Wars films but really they just aren’t.

If Tolkien, Shakespear, Tolstoy, Mark Twain or any great story teller had sold their ideas to someone who then tried to make sequels to The Lord of the Rings, MacBeth, War and Peace, and Huckleberry Finn, we would call that preposterous. We would especially call that preposterous if in these sequels Aragorn and Frodo were freely using rings of power, Huck Finn was a racist homebody, MacDuff is a tyranical King, etc.

Disney has so obviously, and likely purposefully, misunderstood the characters in Star Wars that it can’t even be called Star Wars. It isn’t. Disney’s films haven’t understood the universe, it’s physics and technology, it’s humor, the force it’s self, or any of the character’s arcs from the original films. If anyone involved in the sequels did understand those things then they purposeful made or allowed the films to break and subvert all of them.

It’s a corporate product that pretends to be Star Wars to ride off of a visionary’s success. That’s exactly what we would call corporate sequels to other great works. Sure they might show us characters we loved the first time around, they might look similar and have the same name, but if they don’t have the same heart they aren’t the same characters.

Disney shouldn’t have touched sequels to be honest. If they hadn’t they may still have a fan in me simply because I wouldn’t be offended at their insults to my intelligence by calling these films sequels. But they wanted the easy money of saying “Luke Skywalker’s in this film, honest” for TWO ENTIRE FILMS, then never actually giving him anything to do. I wouldn’t care about the your mom jokes and crazy force powers if they didn’t try to pretend it was somehow still the same universe the originals exist in.

Reaction score
Well, good thing about Star Wars is that each trilogy stands on its own feet. You can still have some movies you like.

With all the repetitions and decisions I'm not fully on board in the Sequel Trilogy I have to say that I really like what they are doing. For me they are doing far better job than Lucas did with the prequels and Special Editions. Disney Movies don't ruin the old movies I loved, they just expand the world further. I really hope they will get to do a lot of them.

Because of the prequels I still can't look at Vader, cause I know what crying ***** is there inside the armour. And I hate this.

Reaction score
They need to pull the time travel card and change time starting 10 yrs after the Battle of Endor.

Reaction score
They need to pull the time travel card and change time starting 10 yrs after the Battle of Endor.
This is the best fix I've ever heard anyone propose.

Slightly better than cutting to luke sywalker waking up and saying it was all just a bad dream.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reaction score
One last thing...ep9 could revisit the sarlac pit and have kk and rj fall in.
Just have them dress up as cameos, determine their SW names (using the current formula) and drop 'em in. We'll say for the record they were called the Blue Harvest gang and executed for crimes of fandom.