The Last Jedi - General Film Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Same as in ANH when Leia arrived at Yavin base and she said no time for sorrows in regards to Alderaan
We don't know how much time has passed between TFA and TLJ. It's implied not much (maybe a few hours) but enough to imagine a "Han's dead, mourn later, let's get out of here" speech from Leia.
Sure she said there was no time for sorrows, but she still said something about it. Nobody cared about it at all.

And TLJ basically picked up right where TFA left off. I expected something about Han. He's everyone's favorite character. (OK not everyone's, but he's still up in the top 5 for everyone.)

Reaction score
At least they/she acknowledged it. Didn't notice one iota about Han though. Except "where's Han?"

Reaction score
Same as in ANH when Leia arrived at Yavin base and she said no time for sorrows in regards to Alderaan
In A New Hope the rebels had already been fighting the empire, just barely escaped with the Death Star plans, Leia had just left the Death Star after watching it destroy Alderan in real time, AND the Death Star still existed and had to be destroyed. Needless to say the heroes had already been through a lot and had a huge mission left to worry about.

In TLJ Han dies in what would have been the equivalent of the Death Star run in ANH. If someone that important died in the climax of an OT film then they would have addressed it afterwards. At the end of TFA there’s no immediate threat to worry about like there was after the destruction of Alderan. Leia and a stranger to her hugging is all we get to mourn Han, he’s as dispensable as Biggs was in the cinematic cut of ANH. Meanwhile Chewy is just in the background ignored.

its like they didn’t even try, to the point that it seems they really just wanted to ruin Han and Luke.

Reaction score
Thing is though the New Republic capital worlds were destroyed, so the Resistance had to regroup leadership-wise while at the same time the First Order was aggressively trying to finish off what was left. Starkiller Base may have been destroyed but it accomplished it's number one mission. Count me in the "didn't have time" category.

Reaction score
Starkiller base was a bad idea all around. Rehash of Death Star, sucks energy from a “sun” (The Sun is our star), and destroys planets through hyperspace, but is also somehow visible from Takodana? It was super cheesy and they weren’t able to convey any sadness with what it did. When I realized it was about to destroy several planets at once I just rolled my eyes rather than feel any concern.

Starkiller base was too obligatory and was an easy way to instantly undo everything we saw in the last six films so we could be right back where we were 40 years ago. JJ Abrams is too shallow to make it carry the weight it should have too.

Reaction score
Definitely a Death Star ripoff but with enough new for me to not be mad about it but that has to be the last one. I get what you're saying about it just resetting it back to where things were power wise in A New Hope; however, I've always seen the Star Wars universe as being in a constant state of war. You have thousands upon thousands of planets with different agendas, needs, and beliefs and some of those people are going to be evil. Tyranny and Republic Democracy are equals and opposites that rise and fall and rise again. The political landscape of Star Wars mirrors the battle between the light side and the dark side of the Force. The new Expanded Universe has quite the political divide within the New Republic, which was never that stable to begin with following the events of Return Of The Jedi. I understand the complaints about supplemental material but hey, it's the political aspects everyone hated in The Phantom Menace B).

Reaction score
At least they/she acknowledged it. Didn't notice one iota about Han though. Except "where's Han?"

This is evidently something that will be addressed in the novelization of THE LAST JEDI. That much seemed to be made clear on yesterday's episode of The Star Wars Show.

Reaction score
This is evidently something that will be addressed in the novelization of THE LAST JEDI. That much seemed to be made clear on yesterday's episode of The Star Wars Show.
....And there's mention of Han Solo's funeral in the course of that segment of the show, either shown on the page or discussed by author Jason Fry or director Rian Johnson.

Reaction score
Check out the /Film podcast with special guest, director Rian Johnson! It's an enlightening interview where Johnson touches on a good deal of the plot points of the film, and his mindset going into the production of THE LAST JEDI.

It's a fairly wide-ranging interview, and goes on for well over and hour and a half. He touched on some of the hot-button issues that fans have raised, including the question of Rey's parents. He addressed it in a very thoughtful way and it's absolutely worth a listen.

Reaction score
For all the reasons I despise TLJ the lack of Han Solo's funeral certainly wasn't one of them. Didn't this dumpster fire start a couple days after TFA ended? On the other hand, after seeing TLJ, I'm not sure Rian Johnson even knows Han died - he clearly didn't watch TFA before writing TLJ.

Reaction score
For all the reasons I despise TLJ the lack of Han Solo's funeral certainly wasn't one of them. Didn't this dumpster fire start a couple days after TFA ended? On the other hand, after seeing TLJ, I'm not sure Rian Johnson even knows Han died - he clearly didn't watch TFA before writing TLJ.
If you listen to the podcast (LINK: /Film podcast ), complete with an interview with Rian Johnson, he made something clear: he was hired to write and direct TLJ before principle photography for TFA had even begun. He worked on that script for a year and only had the TFA script, dailies and production materials to go on. Some real-world perspective of the conditions under which the both movies were produced might be worth taking into account here.

Reaction score
Maybe this has already been mentioned, but in the event it hasn't, apparently the blu-ray release is March 6.

Reaction score
If you listen to the podcast (LINK: /Film podcast ), complete with an interview with Rian Johnson, he made something clear: he was hired to write and direct TLJ before principle photography for TFA had even begun. He worked on that script for a year and only had the TFA script, dailies and production materials to go on. Some real-world perspective of the conditions under which the both movies were produced might be worth taking into account here.
I don't need a lesson on the conditions under which both movies were produced.

But I'm glad he made that clear.

Reaction score
And when Rey demands that Kylo/Ben explain why he killed his father.

And when "Luke" gives Leia the dice from the Millennium Falcon, telling her that " nobody is ever really gone."

I count no fewer than three iotas. ;)

Reaction score
Five weeks after opening, TLJ isn't even showing in any of the theaters around me anymore.

Reaction score
And that right there is the problem, obviously lays at Disney's feet. If you're truly after a Trilogy that follows a full story, you don't do them so close together and have two very different people write and Direct them. Thus creating two movies that have almost nothing in common but the same characters used. The tone of TLJ feels more like it could have benefited from a 3 year gap between the two. Or totally separate form that story.

And when "Luke" gives Leia the dice from the Millennium Falcon, telling her that " nobody is ever really gone."

But the dice only make sense after they were explained, because 99% of the world was unaware of them for 40 years.

And the first one has nothing to do with "Mourning" the loss of a Friend you've known "most" of your life. Rey doesn't fit that description at all.

Reaction score
The dice were really corny ****. Han never struck me as a trinket type, this really is like the Disney Hallmark made for TV version of these characters.

Reaction score
But cmon, they should have shown something like that in the film.

Seriously, it bothers me.
They were literally in the middle of a mass evacuation with all of their lives at stake. Sure, the ending of TFA makes it seem like it's no big deal, they can just kind of chill out for a little while. Leia can put on a nice dress, etc.

But, logically, the FO would have been up their ***** instantly and the film makes perfect logical sense that they'd need to boogie out of there ASAP and save the memorial for later.

Reaction score
The dice were really corny ****. Han never struck me as a trinket type, this really is like the Disney Hallmark made for TV version of these characters.
The dice are in the very first interior shot of the Millennium Falcon's cockpit in ANH. IIRC, Chewie bumps his head on them as he's getting into his co-pilot seat before the ship takes off from Mos Eisley. See that here: http://caps.pictures/197/7-starwars4/full/star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-6347.jpg

Reaction score
The dice are in the very first interior shot of the Millennium Falcon's cockpit in ANH. IIRC, Chewie bumps his head on them as he's getting into his co-pilot seat before the ship takes off from Mos Eisley. See that here: http://caps.pictures/197/7-starwars4/full/star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-6347.jpg
But that's such a deep, deep cut that only the smallest fraction of uber-nerds knows about it. Johnson used the dice because Abrams had them in an early draft of TFA. Johnson should have just cut them, because they're more confusing than anything else. I thought TLJ was terrific, but that was one running bit that just didn't land (and I'm one of those few nerds that actually did get the reference.)

Reaction score
But that's such a deep, deep cut that only the smallest fraction of uber-nerds knows about it. Johnson used the dice because Abrams had them in an early draft of TFA. Johnson should have just cut them, because they're more confusing than anything else. I thought TLJ was terrific, but that was one running bit that just didn't land (and I'm one of those few nerds that actually did get the reference.)

I disagree. I think this was an instance where the institutional knowledge at Lucasfilm is making the ST movies richer by exploring some things that were in plain sight in the OT. And now they're coming into play. No doubt those dice may also be connected to a plot point in SOLO, too.

For the record, I didn't know about the dice until TFA. But I think they helped to enrich the Han Solo backstory that much more.

Reaction score
I disagree. I think this was an instance where the institutional knowledge at Lucasfilm is making the ST movies richer by exploring some things that were in plain sight in the OT. And now they're coming into play. No doubt those dice may also be connected to a plot point in SOLO, too.

For the record, I didn't know about the dice until TFA. But I think they helped to enrich the Han Solo backstory that much more.
But it wasn't "in plain sight" in the OT. It was fleetingly glimpsed in one or two shots only. The dice just confused the vast, vast majority of the audience.

Reaction score

Kylo brags to Snoke how he killed Han Solo and Snoke counters that the deed split him to the bone.

Luke tells Ben that if he kills him, he'll always be with him, "like his father."

They certainly didn't ignore Han or the actions of the previous film. At all.

Reaction score
But it wasn't "in plain sight" in the OT. It was fleetingly glimpsed in one or two shots only. The dice just confused the vast, vast majority of the audience.
To be fair that would describe 80% of the figures on the various want lists on sites.

Reaction score
And now they're coming into play. No doubt those dice may also be connected to a plot point in SOLO, too.
Exactly, and I think that is the only reason they included them. To make an issue out of them in their next installment as a "connection" piece.
I keep hearing that Disney wants their own new direction, and to draw in new Fans. Yet they go to great lengths to include obscure reference material to link them to the OT. So which is it, do you want old or new fans? Whenever you try to balance pleasing everyone, you often please no one.

Reaction score
Exactly, and I think that is the only reason they included them. To make an issue out of them in their next installment as a "connection" piece.
I keep hearing that Disney wants their own new direction, and to draw in new Fans. Yet they go to great lengths to include obscure reference material to link them to the OT. So which is it, do you want old or new fans? Whenever you try to balance pleasing everyone, you often please no one.
They’re tying in things from the OT that a lot of the OT fans don’t actually care about. Why couldn’t they tie in proper characterizations of the main protagonists? Why? Because that’s the Disney way.

The marvel movies all have tacky tie ins and references to each other too. It’s not out of some devotion to the source material or the fans, it’s marketing. If you can make someone watch Thor and feel like they missed out on an inside joke based on a scene from Guardians of the Galaxy then they can get you to watch GOTG too. If you add some poorly explained dice in TLJ that get their own backstory in Solo then it adds one extra little compulsion to see Solo. It’s the same thing with those after credits scenes, casual movie goers act like they’re these artistic and shocking revelations that enrich the experience, no they’re freaking adds for other movies, they just tricked you into hanging around to see another trailer.

Reaction score
What's all of this "THEY" stuff? There wasn't some independent group of Disney producers that pored over OT archive material, looking for things to mine in an effort to create a new continuity. That kind of deep archival material, like the dice, was historic set dressing that Lucasfilm story group execs knew about and gave to the current screenwriters as something that they might be interested in building upon. And those story group people had careers with Lucasfilm that stretch back in some cases to the 1990's.

As for the dice? It's a tangible object that can give on screen characters something by which they connect to Han Solo. We identify the Falcon itself with Han, but it's not something that a character can easily hold in their hand while they reminisce about a lost friend. And they have an on screen history that while previously unexplored, give us a little more insight into Han's past as a gambler. I wouldn't assign that much more importance to them since they're not some McGuffin in the traditional sense of films that have an object that's a point of significant plot interest (ie the Maltese Falcon).

Reaction score
Is anyone else disappointed that the Falcon "escape pod" or whatever that Rey uses to get to Snoke's ship didn't match the escape pod included in the BMF? I mean, I guess they wanted that big window so Ben could see Rey in it, but come on!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Reaction score
For those that are interested, TLJ is hitting digital March 13 and Blu Ray March 27.