The IKEA display thread

Reaction score
All I can say after reading this whole thread is just Wow guys, wow. You all have fantastic collections and displays! I just got my first 2 Billys this week and they will be built in the next few weeks or so. I got the Beech Veneer color. I liked that better than the birch veneer they had in the store, but now that I am looking at the website, I see an oak veneer that I didn't see in the store. So I ask this question for the regulars in this thread -- What color are your Billys?

Also, I would like to hear from you guys about what doors I should use. I got the
Billy Byom but I did not know the Morebo existed before reading this amazing thread. I would like to hear from you guys that have the Byom and also from the guys that have the Morebo about why you made your choice.

I thank all of you greatly in advance for your advice. These are my first display cases and I can't wait to finally get my stuff out of cardboard boxes and rubbermaid containers! I just want to do it right!

PS Thanks for creating this thread too! It was wonderful to read and see all the different setups everybody has!

Thanks

Glenn

Reaction score
Looks like you have quite a bit of room in there! I myself am resigned to the shoebox!
I am also a big Billy fan!

Reaction score
Oak is discontinued, but stores are probably still selling the inventory. I didn't know that when I started or else I might have chosen a different color and boy, did I have to go through hoops in order to get all of the cases I needed. That was LOTS of driving! Read back a few pages.

As far as doors go, I wasn't a true Billy fan until after I saw the Morebo doors. I like that they are basically big sheets of glass with a small frame. I wanted as much of an unencumbered view as I could get.

-chris

Reaction score
Here are my 2 Billys. Total cost for my combination was $153 each ($306 total). I used the half sized ones and added the 2 doors, 12 Glass shelves, 4 lights and the color is Medium Brown. The problem with the narrow cases is that once you add the doors, they become very front heavy so I had to mount them to the wall. But I live in earthquake territory anyway so it's all good!

Reaction score
I love it so much I am considering buying another 2 Billys and more Star Wars gear to fill them!!!!

Reaction score
Hey Chris G, are you ever going to post some photos of your collection? I saw a small picture back in 1999 in the SW galaxy magazine. Would love to see a limelight from a veteran collector.

Reaction score
Tennyson said:
Hey Chris G, are you ever going to post some photos of your collection? I saw a small picture back in 1999 in the SW galaxy magazine. Would love to see a limelight from a veteran collector.
I had to sell everything to buy those cases. They display rather well I think.

-chris

Reaction score
Best display option for larger vehicles?

Hi, a newbie question here. I just wondered if any particular display cabinet (e.g. from IKEA) lends itself well to the display of larger vehicles such as the Imperial Shuttle/Falcon etc.?
Any input appreciated!

Cheers! Martin

Reaction score
Re: Best display option for larger vehicles?

hi there Martin,

WELCOME ABOARD!!!!

you have a PM!!

Dean.

Reaction score

Im damm glad I practically live next door to an IKEA, so I can see their wares in person and save the expense of sending it back if its not to my liking.

They put some very nice items in the "AS IS" Section from time to time that is a steal at what they mark them down for.

They also have a Hardware bin, that is 3.00 a bag for as much as you can fill a bag with of extra loose hardware pieces that you may need to replace for you shelves, display cases, furniture etc etc... It includes electrical hardware, nobs, rails, rollers etc etc...

Only draw back is you have to know what your looking for, cause they dont lable any of it for identification purposes.

Reaction score

SyphoDiaz said:
Im damm glad I practically live next door to an IKEA, so I can see their wares in person and save the expense of sending it back if its not to my liking.

They put some very nice items in the "AS IS" Section from time to time that is a steal at what they mark them down for.

They also have a Hardware bin, that is 3.00 a bag for as much as you can fill a bag with of extra loose hardware pieces that you may need to replace for you shelves, display cases, furniture etc etc... It includes electrical hardware, nobs, rails, rollers etc etc...

Only draw back is you have to know what your looking for, cause they dont lable any of it for identification purposes.
I had to Ban that Carson Mall IKEA. A few weeks ago I went there to pick up some extra glass "Billy" shelves and they were no where to be found. I asked an employee for help with it and he said "We don't carry extra shelves at this store anymore, you have to go to the Costa Mesa store"!
Man! What the heck? Why would they downsize? That's where I initially bought both my Cabinets and extra shelving. Luckily, i'm in between the two we have in SoCal so it is'nt that much of a biggie to go to the Costa Mesa store! That's a great Target next door to the Carson one though!

On another note, did you know that IKEA actually charges for bags? Yes, the bags! The ones that you use when you carry out your purchases like at the grocery store or heck, ANY store you buy stuff from! "Would you like a bag for that? They are 5 cents each sir"!

Reaction score

Your the 2nd person to have told me that, maybe we should take that up with the store directly.

A friend needed a part for a bed and got the same story.

The Target next door is pretty cool, one of the newer models in the area. I run across an occasional cool modern Star Wars item every now and then.

Reaction score

Anyone tried moving two of those Billy cabinets in the warehouse?!?!?!?!?!
They weigh a blooming tonne!

Reaction score

J3D1_KN1GHT said:
Anyone tried moving two of those Billy cabinets in the warehouse?!?!?!?!?!
Three in fact. Into an Acura Integra. With doors and glass shelves. To add to the cabinets from previous trips.

-chris

Reaction score

Ikea has a nice new cabinet I just saw online: the Aspvick. Glass door, ability to lock it, etc.

I personally ended up with the Billy/Morebo combo. Problem is, I have just as many books as toys! I am so happy with this setup that I am now planning to duplicate it on the other side of the room. One wall will then be for all my books while the other will be used only for the toys.

I have left the Morebo doors plain white for now as it matches with the trim of the room, but hope to do something more creative down the line.

Reaction score

WoW! I had a Nissan Micra and managed to get two of the fetters in there! Knackered my seats in the process mind you!

Reaction score

Jedi534 said:
midnightmadman said:
What are the inside dimensions of that billy case?
The maximum inside displayable area per shelf is 14" Wide by 10" Deep.
That's the narrow one. The wider one (that most people are talking about when they refer to the Billy case) is 30" by 10" deep. The depth is a drawback on these. 10 inches (250 mm) isn't much when you're putting things like boxed toys on a shelf. The space is used up very quickly with these Billy's which is one reason I had to buy so many.

-chris

Reaction score
Re: New listing at Ikea

jusdt got my first billy bookcase the other day. got home and spent into the early hours of the morning putting it together. was really tired the next day at work, but have to say it was totally worth it. i like the look and the doors, which i went with the wider wood doors as i liked that look better than the aluminum. yes, it obstructs more view, but i thought it looked a bit better. and yes, i realize this opinion is subject to debate. i plan on getting the glass shelves for them as that will definitely help with the light situation. so all i need now is approximately 3 to 4 more cases. then i need to get some more oscar's cases for my figures. this will be done over time and when it's complete i'll take some pics.

have to say thanks to everyone for discussion on this subject and the pics. i've read and reread these posts many times while i was trying to figure out better shelving for my stuff.

don

Reaction score

Try doing 2 or more!
You feel it the next day, especially if the room you are putting it into is too small to assemble it in and you have to carry it (x2) up stairs!

These are my favourites and I am considering buying two more to my girlfriends horror!

Reaction score

Visitet IKEA today (the infinite hunt for the perfect display cabinet),
found some new arrivals that could be intereting for some:

Almost like Berty but all in metall and glas, and a lock to the door:

Not really my cup of tea but quite cool anyway:

And from the same series, another "Bertby" alternative:

Mattias

Reaction score

thanks for the update mattias. does anyone know if they ever plan on bringing the white besta cases to the USA? i know they have them in the UK.

i had heard rumors of this year, but my ikea doesn't seem to know much about it.

Reaction score

The middle one wouldn't be bad if it were silver and glass and didn't have the design on the bottom. It would almost be like a low shop case. With the color and design looks more like a fish tank.

So, I guess that means no new cases yet? You should just get either some Billys or that Argos unit that Stephane and Daniel have. If they carried that over here it would have been high on my list. Here's a great site I just found too.

John

Reaction score

JohnA said:
The middle one wouldn't be bad if it were silver and glass and didn't have the design on the bottom.
Totally agree, Would love to have a similiar case (sligthly higher) in the middle of the room.
Maybe I'll have to build my own.

JohnA said:
So, I guess that means no new cases yet? You should just get either some Billys or that Argos unit that Stephane and Daniel have. If they carried that over here it would have been high on my list. Here's a great site I just found too.
No new cases yet, but I have almost decided to go for the white Billy's, glas sheves and the
"new" glas doors with the thin alu frame. They wlll fit perfectly. Would prefer the depth to be
slightly deeper, but hey, Cromalins aren't that thick

Painted the room once now, 3 more times to go, then some baseboards and a new floor
and I'm ready to put in some cases. Getting there...

Mattias

Reaction score

cool link john. got one for stateside?

those brits. they get all the good cases.

Reaction score

Mattias, nice to here that you have finally put the
paintingclothes on

I´m working on making a part of my basement to a office/collector part of the house, and using Bestå series from IKEA to build an extra wall to fit TV
and some Star Wars stuff in. Something like this (with some extra space for TV):

Using some clear glas doors with aluminium frame and some other details instead.

Ok finish and many builiding options making it Bestå my option from IKEA.

/Mike

Reaction score

Hey Mike, nice to see you posting

I love the Bestå series but haven't been able to find any clear glas doors that fit,
does that really exist? Especially with a thin alu frame? Do you have a link to it?

If I could add glas shelves and glas doors on the Bestå that would be the way to go for me.
The quality on that series is fantastic (at least for being IKEA
). And they are 12cm
deeper than Billy.

Mattias

Reaction score

I have been lurking so long that I couldn´t find my old userlogin
. Anyway, I went to my
local IKEA yesterday to pick up some more stuff and it have always irritate me that they only offer the
aluminium door with frosted glas (I thought). Finally I asked an employee about it. Answer was
that you could choose, it´s only a cardboard behind the glas. I just opened one package and it´s perfectly
clear without the cardboard.

I´m only use the 60x64 cm door (Bestå Tombo), because I
will have sliding doors below but there maybe is a larger one?

Reaction score

LordWill said:
cool link john. got one for stateside?

those brits. they get all the good cases.
Lordwill, you took the words right out of my mouth. I too would be grateful for some info...

Jeff

Reaction score

Hi there, I figured it would be great to feature here another fine usage of IKEA furnitures;

This has been done by Michel from the french MintInBox.net collecting website.

The content is not vintage but the main interest of the thread is to showcase displays based on IKEA furniture; it's still a 'work in progress' but the result is quite impressive.

Here are links to the elements:
- EXPEDIT shelves / doors / drawers
- DIODER lights in the compartments
- DIODER lighting strip behind the shelves

Reaction score

Now that is a great looking room! So neat and refined, loving the lights on the box shelves!
Thanks for the share, regards to Michel and congrats on his collecting room

Reaction score

Very stylish! Man of my own tastes!

If I had room in my designated SW area it would look like that!

Well done buddy! Great job! Loving the dark wood flooring!

HWR

Reaction score

That's a very beautiful display Michel have there, the room and the collection looks very exclusive.

Reaction score

time for me to contribue to this thread

as my display is finally becoming like i intended in the first place

i was looking at the detolfs but i hated the fact that the space between the selves is to high

that's why i decided to take the klingsbo cabinets and custumise them a bit

i also used some of those expidit kube parts to build this

i still need some lights and one more klingsbo to complete
this to my wanting but you'l get the pic euh idea