The IKEA display thread

Reaction score
It took 3 cases to get the runners right? Just wondering, considering they have to be assembled (rather figured they would be, makes it easier to get it home for me) do they have instruction sheets/manuals/pamphlets or is it an adlib build?

Reaction score
the instructions are pictures only. and on the detolf, you have 2 plastic runners that have 2 very slightly different depth tracks to fit the glass into. It took me 3 of the things to realize my dificulties were not because the cases were not manufactured properly, but because I needed to make sure I got the longest indentation go be with the sides, and the shorter indentation with the back. See, I made one, and it was dificult to put together. another one went together fine. The third one I was having the same problems as the first and started looking for a reason why. The "helpful" pamphlet made no distinction as to which part of the runner faced which way. Once I got that worked out, my other 3 cases were very easy to put together.

Reaction score
Oy vey. Guess that's what I can look forward to when I finally get myself over to Ikea down in Canton and wind up spending a bunch of $$.

Oh, and then figuring out how to fit it in a LaCrosse.

Thx for the heads-up on these things.

Reaction score
Here's a word to the wise. If you have to travel to get to your closest IKEA you should call the main number and verify the stock situation for the items you're looking for.

Seeing as how I live 6 hours north of the Atlanta, GA store, 4 hours south of the Woodbridge, VA store and 5 hours south of the College Park, MD store the logistics of buying things has been a little less than pleasant. Buying 8 cases + shelves + doors is not as simple as it seems. Case stock fluctuates, no store ever had 14 doors at once, and shelves were hit or miss.

Luckily on the way back from Dragon Con I was able to get 3 cases + doors in Atlanta. A week later a coworker was going up to the DC area to hit the stores there and I placed my order with him. Problem was that one corner unit I needed was out of stock and/or discontinued at all but the College Park store, but they were due to be stocked on a Friday night. Too bad he was going to be there Friday day and couldn't go back. The finish I chose just happened to be the only one out of 6 that wasn't available for home delivery.

I call and beg them to hold a case for me for the day then hop in the car for what was a 12 hour round trip Saturday to both stores in the DC area. Got the rest of my doors, my corner unit, and the rest of the shelves. He was able to score the other 4 book cases I needed. They would have never fit in my car anyway.

Then comes the assembly line process of putting all of this stuff together and drilling for lights. Who started this IKEA thread anyway? Thanks for the heartache!

I think I need less stuff.

-chris

Reaction score
I'd think that'd be a mantra that you chant when the assemblies get frustrating or time-consuming.

Reaction score
hehe Chris,

i haear ya, im up to about 30 or so diaplay cases for my star wars and GW stuff--- and then like endless bokshelves for my carded stuff... i did it all in batches for like 5 or 6, as thats all we could get ome at once, and some of the larger units were bought pre assembled (not from IKEA).

i bet its all gonna look stunning when done, and a relief to see it FINALLY all on display, trust me, its worth it...

hey, you even get THE HUNT feeling with cabinets now!!

hehe

Dean.

Reaction score
ChrisGeorgoulias said:
Then comes the assembly line process of putting all of this stuff together and drilling for lights. Who started this IKEA thread anyway? Thanks for the heartache!
LOL, tell me about it! I had to drive 7+ hours with my right arm resting above shoulder level on top of two billy cases in order to fit them in the car
. Then I got home and had to spend a day clearing the collection room so I would have enough space to assemble the units. I'm definitely a lucky man as my wife graciously offered to store 20+ 56qt size rubbermaid containers in her extra room for the time being ;^). I finished the install last night and even hung some art on the wall that I had stored for years. I was a bit disappointed that installing the doors meant I would lose quite a few shelving placements, but I was very pleased with how the doors fit. Unfortunately I'm now realizing just how nasty light purple walls look with the brown-black Billy cases

I'll post a pic of my progress thus far a little later.

ChrisGeorgoulias said:
I think I need less stuff.
Send me a price list then

-Timothy

Reaction score
JohnA said:
ThorOakenfelder said:
but isn't it better than plastic shelving units?
Ha! I've been telling him that for years.
Yeah, but I only bought a house 3 years ago so before that relocating was much simpler. No doubt plastic shelves are inferior, but when your stuff is in a closed room most of the time you don't think about it. And when the display cases you think look fantastic are $1200 each the results are sobering.

For me, it's only that they released those Morebo doors that got me into going the Billy route. Plus taking the leap of traveling to buy the things. I never saw any display cases locally that interested me.

If all goes well, I'll have the doors on and the things mounted to the wall tonight.

-chris

Reaction score
I've been reading this thread with interest. I work in the IT department for a moving company and Ikea is one of our customers. We do home delivery for Ikea in the New England area. To make a long story short, when we do home moves one of the things we do not offer insurance on is particle board put-it-together-yourself furniture. It does not move well and the slightest bit of moisture ruins it. I'm curious as to how some of you feel about this and if you have had any issues with these kinds of displays. I mean they look nice and all but in the long run will they hold up to wear and tear or is it worth it to go out and spend some decent money on a really nice piece of furniture?

Reaction score
Chris_Morin said:
I mean they look nice and all but in the long run will they hold up to wear and tear or is it worth it to go out and spend some decent money on a really nice piece of furniture?
I think you answered your own question ;^). I've put together more than my fair share of Sauder (the brand Walmart seems to carry) type furniture. While the Billy cases are unfortunately particle board they seem to be constructed much better than your standard particle board type furniture. I'm definitely not looking forward to the moving them. When I do move, I'll definitely move them as a unit and won't disassemble them.

Keep in mind though that the large Billy bookcase is only $79.99 or less depending on your color. For the price I think the overall quality was more than acceptable. Considering that the Billy with two large glass doors, glass shelves, and lights sells for less than $250 I think it's a bargain. I spent hours looking for display cases online last month and most of the ones I wanted were in the $1350 - $2300 range. Consdering I need two or three there's just no way I could ever justify that kind of money. While I hate the fact that the Billy cases need to be mounted on the wall with a rather crude bracket, it's just hard to justify spending an extra $1000+ per display. Having said all that though I'm still going to keep my eyes peeled for a local jewelry store going out of business sale

-Timothy

Reaction score
TimothyC said:
Having said all that though I'm still going to keep my eyes peeled for a local jewelry store going out of business sale

-Timothy
It's funny you said that. When I go to the mall, I find myself doing the same thing.
My wife thinks I'm crazy when I go into a store and examine their cabinets instead of browsing at the crap being sold.

Reaction score
ChrisGeorgoulias said:
If all goes well, I'll have the doors on and the things mounted to the wall tonight.

-chris
Go on Chris, you can do it.

And I want to see nice big pictures of what it all looks like when your finished.

-Nik

Reaction score
Concept_UK said:
And I want to see nice big pictures of what it all looks like when your finished.

-Nik
Be prepared for a big pic of empty cases.

John

Reaction score
ChrisGeorgoulias said:
JohnA said:
ThorOakenfelder said:
but isn't it better than plastic shelving units?
Ha! I've been telling him that for years.
Yeah, but I only bought a house 3 years ago so before that relocating was much simpler. No doubt plastic shelves are inferior, but when your stuff is in a closed room most of the time you don't think about it. And when the display cases you think look fantastic are $1200 each the results are sobering.

For me, it's only that they released those Morebo doors that got me into going the Billy route. Plus taking the leap of traveling to buy the things. I never saw any display cases locally that interested me.

-chris
Aw, I was just making a smart aleck comment. I'll bet it's gonna look great, and you'll have pieces I never dreamed of owning.

Reaction score
Not to add insult to my fellow East-Coasters, (John and Chris) but here is my Detolf case with a new display set up:

This is my first purchase from Ikea, and I am very pleased with the case. The retail on the case is around $60usd with taxes, and the quality is very nice for an item at this price point. The instructions can be somewhat confusing, but if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, then it shouldn't prove anything too difficult.
I really think you can't go wrong for such a nice display case for this price. My only "problem" would be the shelves; I wish they could be adjusted.

Bill

Reaction score
Bill_McBride said:
The retail on the case is around $60usd with taxes, and the quality is very nice for an item at this price point. <snip>
I really think you can't go wrong for such a nice display case for this price. My only "problem" would be the shelves; I wish they could be adjusted.
I couldn't agree more. I think it's an awesome case, however, I wish the shelves could be adjusted. I also wish it came in a wider style.

Chris is the one with the IKEA issues though, not me. I've got 2 in NJ and one in NY. There's also one more opening in NJ that I thought was open already. The closest IKEA to me is about 15-20 minutes away. In fact, I'm going on Sunday.

BTW the case looks great, Bill.

Mattias, your friends case looks nice too. I really don't like that style of light too much but it works well with that particular case.

John

Reaction score
Oh that's one pretty setup there Bill. I love the Vader on the top.

Think I'll definitely have to look at something like that Detolf for some of the higher-end bits I have.

Reaction score
Not IKEA, but I'm waiting on 2 Acrylic Display cabinets from Striking Displays here in the UK.

The ones I've ordered should look simmilar to this, but with some modifications I've asked for. The size will be 4ft Wide/ 12" Deep/ 5ft Tall.

I'll use external spot lights that I can direct inwards to stop it geting too hot in there.

-Nick

Reaction score
As promised. Hey, there are some displays in the photos.

The room's too small to take a photo of both walls simultaneously so here it is in pieces.

wall 1
wall 2
wall 2 - end
above
wrap around

These turned out better than expected and I'm pretty psyched on having two walls completely glassed in like this. I might even get a narrow half-tall case for that open area on the left side. There's a light switch on that wall plus I can use the top surface for something larger. The corner unit really helped tie it all together and that's why it never really bugged me to drive 5 hours just to get to the store to buy it.

These cases have really opened up a way to put several things around the top of the room yet still allow the store displays to show through. For the most part at least. Luckily I have a high ceiling in that room.

I changed my mind on the lights after seeing the ones Timothy picked out at the store. Of course John was incessantly bugging me not to get the strip LED ones. Plus, the NON light scheme is only $20 per case instead of $150.

One foot switch turns the whole thing on and all cords and wires are completely hidden. You can just make out the switch cord on the photo showing the left side.

Thanks for all of the help and input, guys!

-chris

Reaction score
ThorOakenfelder said:
Looks great Chris, will you show it again once it's filled?
I wouldn't sit refreshing my screen waiting.

ChrisGeorgoulias said:
Of course John was incessantly bugging me not to get the strip LED ones. Plus, the NON light scheme is only $20 per case instead of $150.
I think that's Chris' way of saying 'thank you'.

You're welcome. You even picked the ones I recommended.
They look great. I'm really psyched for you. This is going to make a kick*** display when you are done laying it out.

John

Reaction score
Chris they look amazing, fill them quick though as they look like mini Star Trek Transporters

Seriously though, they look really nice despite the trouble you had getting the parts etc.

I can imagine a lot of Sweat & maybe swearing as you where putting these together, I went through the same thing when I moved and had to put the kids Bed's and chest of Draws together. I always found that they should have put a 3rd hand in the box, as the 2 you had where never enough at times.

Great job, and they look fantastic. Now fill those things fast, and do a 2nd photo update

-Nick

Reaction score
Chris, i know that it was a real pain for you to get all of these but damn man, it was worth it. They look really sharp and will definately make everything feel 100% different in that room. Like John, i'm pretty stoked for you as well.

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity Chris, how many miles would you say you did to get these Cabinets?

-Nick

Reaction score
The case set-up looks fantastic Chris! What awesome displaying days you
have to look forward to. To put stuff in cases and try different display layouts
is almost as satisfying as hunting and looking at them when your done.

Good luck, cant wait to see them filled

Mattias

Reaction score
yes, Kudos.

thats gonna look sweet when u set it all up. Thank god you didn thave to paint them all black as well .

cheers Dean.

Reaction score
I am using the Ikea Billy bookcases. However after seeing Chris G's doors, I may have to change out my glass for those narrow frames.

Reaction score
Looking good, Chris! Can't wait to see them full of your stuff!

My wife freaked out when I told her you'd driven 5 hours each way to get to IKEA. She's not happy that we have to drive 1/2 hour to the one by us. I'm glad it's not closer, because I'd have to spend even more time there than I already do!

Reaction score
Great stuff. Now I know I am just gonna wait when we move to unpack the Str Wars until the Ikea store opens and I can get some of thoes displays.

Reaction score
ZAC_THE_STAR_WARS_MAC said:
Great stuff. Now I know I am just gonna wait when we move to unpack the Str Wars until the Ikea store opens and I can get some of thoes displays.
If you don't feel like moving some of those Obi-Wan items, I'll hold onto them for you. LOL

Reaction score
Just make sure you dont display your Wax Sclupts too close to the spotlights.

Actually is there any danger to a Wax sculpt, if placed under a spotlight??

I have some Custom Wax sculpts, but I've never placed it to near to a hot light. Just wondered if there was any danger.

-Nick