The IKEA display thread

Reaction score
With D*C around the corner, I was planning on calling IKEA in the next day or two to check on availablility for the Detolf case. However I thought a new IKEA thread would be beneficial to myself and others that are driving down to Atlanta for the weekend.

For starters, here are a few old threads with tons of information in them:
Skogen case
John's plea ... Detolf case
Shelf safety notice
And...The IKEA glass case page

There are a couple of reasons for starting this new thread. For starters, I'd really like to hear recommendations from people regarding buying the Skogen or Detolf cases. Skye shared a pretty cool pic of his setup, but I would really like to see a close-up of the Detolfs pushed together. How large is the gap between them? Dean recommended painting them first, but does anyone else have any other recommendations? I like the Billy case that a lot of people use but I hate the fact that you can't see that much when the doors are closed. Anyone know of any other case that's not on the website, but is worth asking about?

Any advice is appreciated
!

-Timothy

Reaction score
Reaction score
I'll chime in here with a couple of photos. I too liked the Billy cabinet, but there were no doors for them that I liked. They all had too big a frame around the glass. That's changed with the latest catalogue. Yeah, I know the cabinet has loose neo figures in it, but you get the idea:

I bought glass shelves to replace the regular pressboard ones (except the fixed middle one), and the fancy LED lights to go up either side. They work really well, as the case isn't nearly as bright in real life as it is in that photo using a flash. FYI the doors aren't cheap, at $70 CAD each, but they do rock.

To keep it a bit more vintage, here are my newly rearranged Bertby cases. Yeah there are a few holes for variations, but I'm getting close to completion:

Hope this helps a little bit.

Mark

Reaction score
Hi Timothy,
I've two of them and they are perfect for display.

They are the new home of my LXW.

Giacomo

Reaction score
I intentionally left a wider gap between my display cases. But considering there's about a half inch lip of wood around the border or the case, you're looking about an inch gap when they're pressed together

Reaction score
I am a huge Deltof fan, though I am changing my Ikea design style with my next move. I just got two billys, but instead of wood shelves, I bought glass shelves. I'm going to drill a hole in the middle plank (which has to be wood) and the top in order to put their little halogen lights. So, light will filter through much easier.

Then I got the Billy Extenxion unit to add one more level, with a bookshelf light for that section.

I know that the lights are bad, but I'm only going to have them on for a maximum of ten minutes a week. If that destroys them, well so be it.

I'll post pictures of my new display when it is up, but I have a long way to go.

The problem with Deltof is if you are mainly planning on displaying MOC, it is not too practical. It is better to use a bookshelf which is not as deep or boxy. At least, I hope that will be the case.

Reaction score
I'm a big 'Billy' fan... here are some photos of my computer room... 7 billy's, 2 end caps and a corner section.

I plan on adding 8 Berby's in the hallway entering my computer room to display my 12/20/21 back carded run and hopefully a complete set of AFA U90 loose figures.

Reaction score
Kaneda_01 said:
I'm a big 'Billy' fan... here are some photos of my computer room... 7 billy's, 2 end caps and a corner section.

I plan on adding 8 Berby's in the hallway entering my computer room to display my 12/20/21 back carded run and hopefully a complete set of AFA U90 loose figures.
Wow Kaneda 01! I'm impressed. I love your clean professional display. It looks like you put a lot of work into it and it paid off. It looks real fun to hang out in there.

Reaction score
KiAdiRandy, thanks for linking to that thread. I was planning on painting the Detolf case black but after seeing that silver one I'm not sure now. Again, thanks for the link

Boba_Fish said:
I too liked the Billy cabinet, but there were no doors for them that I liked. They all had too big a frame around the glass. That's changed with the latest catalogue.
<snip>
I bought glass shelves to replace the regular pressboard ones (except the fixed middle one), and the fancy LED lights to go up either side. They work really well, as the case isn't nearly as bright in real life as it is in that photo using a flash. FYI the doors aren't cheap, at $70 CAD each, but they do rock.
The thick door frames are the exact reason I didn't like the Billy cases. I just checked the website again and I didn't see the thin framed doors as an option online. Did you purchse the doors and lights at IKEA as well? The standard Billy case is $99 and the one with the thicker door frames is available for $179. If you don't mind me asking, how much did yours cost Mark? Was it priced at $99 plus $140 for the doors plus lighting? I'm curious :^).

Thanks for the input thus far everyone

-Timothy

Reaction score
I'm going to move this over to the limelighting and display section as it falls under various display techniques and is showcasing a variety of great displays.

Reaction score
Mark,

That's the look I've been wishing for on Billy cases! I saw those glass doors finally, but they looked frosted when I saw the webpage and I think Shane has frosted doors on his.

Do you have specific part numbers on those doors? I want to make sure I get the right thing. I also will go for glass shelves and lights as well.

Thanks for posting that! And for starting this thread, Timothy! I have a coworker that is going to IKEA in DC soon and I can just place my order with him.

-chris

Reaction score
Detolf is very popular and very cool for loose figures, a friend of mine
has taken it one step further and build in the cases in the wall. I like!

Here in Sweden a silver edition has recently been released too

Mattias

Reaction score
ChrisGeorgoulias said:
That's the look I've been wishing for on Billy cases! I saw those glass doors finally, but they looked frosted when I saw the webpage and I think Shane has frosted doors on his.
That's what I afraid of too. These are the doors I was telling you about a couple weeks ago on the trip.

ChrisGeorgoulias said:
Do you have specific part numbers on those doors? I want to make sure I get the right thing. I also will go for glass shelves and lights as well.
I think you just need to know the name. IKEA is warehouse style and you just take the box off the shelf. You'd want the 76" height doors. It should be about $90 a pair for them. Shelevs I think are $8 each for glass and then whatever lights you choose. I've been thinking of picking up a Billy myself soon and these doors may just work. I hope they look good on the medium brown wood.

John

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my three Detolfs "pushed" together. Someone above was asking about spacing issues.........

Reaction score
ChrisGeorgoulias said:
I do indeed have the frosted doors. I kind of wish i went with clear ones now but at the time i bought the first couple, we were living in a 1 bdrm apt and i didn't want them visible to everyone coming around.

Here's a couple older pics of my loose SW and Joe Billies.

http://www.tattoosandtoys.com/images_yours/LooseSWCase.jpg

http://www.tattoosandtoys.com/images_yours/JoeStuff.jpg

I do love the Bertbies as well and i like how you're friend build them into the wall Mattias.

Karlee and i have 9 Detolfs throughout the house...i'll try to post some pics when i get home.

Reaction score
Here's the deal: They had 2 versions of the glass doors. One of them was frosted with a leafy bamboo pattern in them that wasn't frosted. The one I got actually came with a panel in the door that was black on one side, white on the other, and of course it was removable so you can have clear doors.

I'll look for the catalog and/or receipt so I can get you guys some part numbers.

Reaction score
Ok here's a list of what went into my Billy cabinets. Prices are in Canadian because that's what I spent

Billy bookcase 400.857.14 (white) $49
Billy Morebo 201.040.92 (glass doors) 2 x $70
Billy glass shelves 6 x $15
Trettioen LED lights 3 x $40

Here are links for the doors and lights on the US site:
Billy Morebo glass doors - mine are the 16" x 76" version
Trettioen LED lights - have to go with the white ones!

Huh. The lights are $50 US vs. the $40 Canadian they cost here. Oh well the doors are only $45 US vs. the $70 Canadian I paid. WOW the extra shelves are only $8 US vs. our $15. Damn...

Just so you know, the lights are a tight fit where I have them, especially where they pass under the hinges. I think it'll be better if I tweak the hinges a bit, but as it is they kind of push the strips out and interfere with the action of the doors. Nothing that poking them in with a finger doesn't fix, but it's irritating.

Also, the white Billy wasn't my first choice. I really wanted the silver foil, but The Boss was with me and since she was letting me spend way too much on a display case for my "little plastic men", I didn't argue when she said she wanted it to be white. Besides, the Billy was the least expensive part of the whole thing, and I can always move the doors, lights etc... to another Billy later when she's not looking

Edited to add numbers for the doors. Not sure if they're the same in the US.

Reaction score
I use these lights in my IKEA cases and I'll probably use the same in the Billy. I had used white on white before and was going to do the same so they matched but the black/silver may go better with the door trim. I'll have to see them in person to decide.

John

Reaction score
This is really sweet. I think I finally found cabinets that aren't ridiculously expensive, yet look nice. Takes awhile to bite the bullet when you have to buy like 6 or 7 of these things.

Maybe it's my site navigation skills, but I can't find the name of the corner unit for the Billy cases. I think I might get one of those as well, but I'll have to measure and see.

-chris

Reaction score
Boba_Fish said:
Trettioen LED lights - have to go with the white ones!
Is the $50 set (of 4 strips) all you need for one case? The image above doesn't make them look as long as the ones you have in your case. They're just those flexible strips, right? I say that because the packing size is pretty small and I can see a slight curve in your set-up. Geez, I talked about both size and curve in the same paragraph....

I like the idea of lighting on every shelf rather than the lone light on top (I guess one could go in the middle also). It's just that with cluttered shelves it's easy to block light on lower areas. And those are an affordable way of doing it even though I'm not 100% psyched on the final look. Still though, for the money it isn't bad. Considering this stuff is in a dark closed room 90% of the time anyway.

-chris

Reaction score
DarthBeek said:
Here's a pic of my three Detolfs "pushed" together. Someone above was asking about spacing issues.........
I love the all-glass look of that style and they'll probably release some 31" wide ones after I finally buy something. The narrow width is the only drawback for me on those things because I need to cover an entire wall. I'd be looking at 8 or so I think too many in a row is too segmented

-chris

Reaction score
The reason I don't like NON lights are the heat put out by them, and possible UV rays. I'm pretty sure Halogen lights throw off a lot of UV, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, like Chris said, one light at the top of the case makes for a bright top shelf and a dark bottom shelf.

Chris, the LED lights are NOT flexible tubes. They're actually mounted on a circuit board inside a plastic tube. The kit comes with flexible connectors that are about 1 1/2" long so you can make corners with them that way if you want. Each tube is about a foot long, and a package comes with 4. Yes, I bought 3 packs of lights at $40 each for the one cabinet.

Reaction score
Boba_Fish said:
The reason I don't like NON lights are the heat put out by them, and possible UV rays. I'm pretty sure Halogen lights throw off a lot of UV, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, like Chris said, one light at the top of the case makes for a bright top shelf and a dark bottom shelf.
I've had those cabinets for about 4 years now and the lights have been on maybe a dozen times at most. I've taken a handful of pics like that and when guests come by, and seeing how nobody is local it isn't often.
When I do put them on it's 10-15 minutes max. I'm not too worried about heat and the lights have UV blocking lenses.

Boba_Fish said:
Chris, the LED lights are NOT flexible tubes. They're actually mounted on a circuit board inside a plastic tube. The kit comes with flexible connectors that are about 1 1/2" long so you can make corners with them that way if you want. Each tube is about a foot long, and a package comes with 4. Yes, I bought 3 packs of lights at $40 each for the one cabinet.
Though those lights will do a better job of lighting than what I use I'm just not too thrilled with those lights in that pattern. I'm not sure what it is but I think it reminds me too much of Christmas lights.

Another option:
TJUGOFYRA

Ideally I'd like a style similar to these but smaller. I'd like little spots on either side of every shelf but I've not seen anything like that that wasn't already part of a very expensive case.

John

Reaction score
They actually had the Tjugofyra (say that 3 times fast) lights at IKEA when I was there, but we decided that the strips would be better for what we wanted. Actually I'd planned to make some sort of "shutter" out of tin foil for these so you couldn't see the LEDs directly, but when I tried, it looked really awful. I'd still like to figure something out, but I haven't yet.

The PERFECT lighting system can be seen at any Swarovski retailer. I LOVE their cabinets, and they have exactly what you're talking about, John. Small LED lights on swivel mounts. I'm afraid to know what they cost though.

Ah! Finally found a photo of them!

Reaction score
Boba_Fish said:
Each tube is about a foot long, and a package comes with 4. Yes, I bought 3 packs of lights at $40 each for the one cabinet.
Whoa! The price to do all of this keeps going up. To top it off, I just measured everything and determined that I need 7 book cases.

Too bad they don't have an option to upgrade the wood shelves to glass since the price difference is only $2 more. Would save me a cool $400+ right there.

-chris

Reaction score
Boba_Fish said:
The PERFECT lighting system can be seen at any Swarovski retailer. I LOVE their cabinets, and they have exactly what you're talking about, John. Small LED lights on swivel mounts. I'm afraid to know what they cost though.

Ah! Finally found a photo of them!
I see you and I are on the same page. I have always loved those cases. My ex would stop in to look at crystal and I'd be looking at those cases. I love the glass, the swivel lights, and especially the arched shelves and curved doors. The only thing I'd change is mirrored backs.
I'd love to catch a local one closing down.

John

Reaction score
you guys are giving me lots of good ideas.

now i just have to get off my duff and actually DO one of them.

Reaction score
I like the Billy bookcase. I went to VA and got this one with the dome light and glass shelves. The dome light is enough for me, but like Chris mentioned, you'd have to put one under the middle shelf to light up the bottom half.

If you've never been to Ikea, you'll be surprised at the amount of Billy's they have set up. They're not just in the "Billy" section, so look around really good. There's tons of different set ups, colors, and doors. The plans I made while looking on the web site went out the door after I got there.

I'm getting another one in Atlanta to replace the last Walmart shelf I have. The size and price have me hooked. I'm glad I didn't get doors yet. I didn't know about those thin framed ones!

Reaction score
Holy Crap, this thread just made my year. I have a bunch of the Billy and Bertby cases in my display roon and have been deciding weather or not to suck it up and just build my own doors with glass. To hell with that, i am going tomorrow to buy them. And the lighting is the way to go, hopefully I can get a limelight set up after I get these doors and new shelves. Thread saved in favorites.

Reaction score
I´m sooooooooo jelous
I hate to accept it but I live in a third world country,

and I really don´t have the urge to buy a nice handsome display for my LL collection,
I rather save that money to buy a nice ledy carded figure when I have a chance,
so I got to admit that I keep it in a big box and when I´m in the mood to display it I just carefully put a blanket in the floor and that is my display area.

pretty lame isn´t it?

Reaction score
ChrisGeorgoulias said:
Whoa! The price to do all of this keeps going up. To top it off, I just measured everything and determined that I need 7 book cases.

Too bad they don't have an option to upgrade the wood shelves to glass since the price difference is only $2 more. Would save me a cool $400+ right there.

-chris
Wow 7 cabinets? I bet it'll look fantastic when you get it all done! I think I understand why you were looking for something fairly inexpensive. These doors really do a good job of dressing up the Billys.

The lights were pretty expensive, but I probably could have gotten away with only 2 packs instead of 3. Also, it's the sort of thing that could only cost $20 a year from now. It might be worth waiting a bit on them.

Look - whoever else decides to go with these, we need pictures!!

Reaction score
shameonyou said:
I´m sooooooooo jelous

and I really don´t have the urge to buy a nice handsome display for my LL collection,
so I got to admit that I keep it in a big box and when I´m in the mood to display it I just carefully put a blanket in the floor and that is my display area.

pretty lame isn´t it?
I'd say that taking them out, looking at them and handling them, you'll get a more visceral joy than most of us with stand up displays that we just look at. I go in sometimes and open the doors, but then don't want to mess up my display. Sometimes I think of reorganizing the cases.

Reaction score
shameonyou said:
I´m sooooooooo jelous

pretty lame isn´t it?
I dont think that is lame at all. That is your choice (what you collect, not your residence). If you buy expensive carded Ledy MOCs then you are not that bad off. Its all a matter of priorities. You said in the "Fake boba thread"...

shameonyou said:
...I payed about 100 Dollars for my custom rocket fett but I got to say that mine actually fires
Personally I would have used that $100 to buy a cabinet, you dont need to be jealous of us, you collect what you like to. Believe me, when I upgrade my cabinets it is money I will not be using to fund other SW purchases. I am in this for the long haul so I can take my time and collect. I prefer to have my items displayed, but I am lucky because I have the required space and an understanding wife.

Reaction score
Boba_Fish said:
The lights were pretty expensive, but I probably could have gotten away with only 2 packs instead of 3. Also, it's the sort of thing that could only cost $20 a year from now. It might be worth waiting a bit on them.
Good point about the price. Do me a favor and configure yours based on 2 packs and let me see what it looks like. By tonight.

-chris

Reaction score
ChrisGeorgoulias said:
Good point about the price. Do me a favor and configure yours based on 2 packs and let me see what it looks like. By tonight.

-chris
Haha Yeah, I'll just phone the wife from work and have her do it. "Oh and honey, you'd better get going. I need this for tonight!" I think I'd end up sleeping down there on the couch!

Reaction score
I guess you are right about the fett LOL,
and please don´t get me wrong, I´m jelous of you guys in a good way

I was kidding you guys about the blanket in the floor,
I mean, sometimes I do that when I feel that inner child urge to do it,
but I do have a couple of cristal cabinets in my office and home to display my most expensive items like my carded Lili Ledy Boba Fett.

sometimes I´m more like a kid who still likes to play with his loose figures instead of displaying them,
you know that feeling, right?
it feels like the christmas morning

but I´m aware of the value of the vintage items and I would never treat them the wrong way.

Reaction score
I just have to show another fellow swedish collectors IKEA display. Great lightning on the
figures combined with a nice space feeling, all thanks to IKEAs light-trim "Trettioen"

Mattias

Reaction score
We are getting one right outside of Cincinnati.

Ikea announced today it will build a 339,000-square-foot store carrying 10,000 different items and will open it in the fall of 2007.The store, located on 56 acres at the southeastern corner of Allen and Muhlhauser roads, will employ 400 and have parking for 1,400 cars. The store will include three model homes, 50 room settings and a 300-seat restaurant serving Swedish specialties.

Reaction score
ZAC_THE_STAR_WARS_MAC said:
We are getting one right outside of Cincinnati.

Ikea announced today it will build a 339,000-square-foot store carrying 10,000 different items and will open it in the fall of 2007.The store, located on 56 acres at the southeastern corner of Allen and Muhlhauser roads, will employ 400 and have parking for 1,400 cars. The store will include three model homes, 50 room settings and a 300-seat restaurant serving Swedish specialties.
For the opening in phoenix, the first week or so was completely insane. People were lining up at 2 AM to wait for opening to get the free gifts for the first X number of people in line. The inside of the store was full of people bumping into each other and lining up to sit on the various couches and seats, so that you really couldn't tell what anything looked like. It took me over 3 hours to get out of the store. And parking was a nightmare. I forgot to mention, and this is important for everyone looking at Ikea items that has never bought one. You must assmeble darn near everything you buy there, some are easy, some are not. It took me 3 detolf cases to realize that those plastic runners had to go on a certain way or it was a nightmare.

Good luck, you're gonna need it.