THE GREAT JAPAN REBELSCUM TRADE OFF, PART 1

Reaction score
Courtesy of webmaster Toru over at japan.rebelscum.com, I'm very happy to present to you the first JRS trade off!

Most competitions involve drawing names from a hat. Some ask contestants to make something, and others require participants to be witty and clever in ten words or less. But this is no ordinary competition... this is a trade off! To enter, you have to post what you are willing to trade for the item. If you are selected you will asked to actually complete the transaction. Your trade item will then be used as a giveaway or in a trade off in the Japan Rebelscum forums! Become the ultimate penpal in this unique cultural exchange!

First up for grabs is a very nice vintage Popy ESB Luke Skywalker:

To enter, simply reply to this thread, posting what you'd be willing to trade for the Popy Luke. Remember that you may be asked to actually go through with the trade, so no unrealistic, fake, or fantasy offers please! I will not be accepting trade offers via PM, please post them below!

Have fun with it!

John

Reaction score
Hi John,

How is selection determined ?

Is it random entry (so for example someone posts a battered loose General Madine can win), or picking the best item offered for trade (i.e., something of similar value must be entered)? I assume that's what you mean by realistic.

Is the other half of the trade choosing what they want or is it a moderator ?

Sorry but I've not seen this type of competition before so would like more info.

Thanks,

Tim

Reaction score
Tim_Z said:
How is selection determined ?

Is it random entry (so for example someone posts a battered loose General Madine can win), or picking the best item offered for trade (i.e., something of similar value must be entered)? I assume that's what you mean by realistic.

Is the other half of the trade choosing what they want or is it a moderator ?
Hi Tim, good questions.

You're right, a battered loose Madine (or even a shiny mint one) is what I would consider an unrealistic trade offer. However, what constitutes a good trade offer can be subjective, so I would encourage people who are not sure to post anyway. You've got to be in it to win it!

Selection will not be random, but by a panel consisting mainly of Toru-san and the other JRS staff. They'll be looking for something cool to offer Japanese scummers. I don't think the winner of the upcoming competition at JRS will be able to choose, but that's certainly an interesting idea.

Reaction score
Not to dampen the spirit, but I also must add as a disclaimer that if none of the trade offers are deemed acceptable by the panel, the item will be withdrawn. What will most likely happen in this case is that a new item will become available for trade offers.

PS: Thanks to John for putting up the first trooper-themed offer! I'm looking forward to seeing other scummers posting their trade offers soon

Reaction score
This is fun and I'd like to play along. However, I'd like to know a bit more about the actual figure I'm trading for. Is the baggie sealed? Is the second insert not there? Is the rest of the box in similar condition as the side we see? No tears?

Finally, what about shipping? How much, for example, would John's trade cost to him?

I don't mean to be nitpicky, but I thought that more people might participate if they knew more.

Reaction score
All good questions, Skye. I need to get back to you on the condition, but for now it's WYSIWYG. Not sure about the insert, but I imagine the overall condition is as good as it seems.

Shipping is something that will need to be worked out with the winner. For North American collectors, we have a possible US address for people to send their trade items. Other collectors would probably be asked to send directly to Japan. This is where the Luke is coming from.

Due to the shipping issue (i.e. winner having to pay money to ship their item), the winner will be contacted prior to the official announcement to make sure they are happy with the terms. If they decide it's not worth it (for whatever reason), a runner-up may be contacted. In other words, you have nothing to lose even if you are ultimately selected as the winner.

Reaction score
I'm not very familar with POPY boxed figures but I like the idea and so I'd love to take part at the competition...
So John_SH here comes my question: How much is the value range of the Luke 'you' are offering in $US 'trade bugs'?
Uli
P.S. It seems the Luke comes without the second (super cool) catalog.

Reaction score
Idefix13 said:
So John_SH here comes my question: How much is the value range of the Luke 'you' are offering in $US 'trade bugs'?
I don't want to make a statement about how much I think it's worth here in the thread, but if you really think it will help you with your trade offer, feel free to shoot me a PM

Reaction score
skye said:
I'd like to know a bit more about the actual figure I'm trading for. Is the baggie sealed? Is the second insert not there? Is the rest of the box in similar condition as the side we see? No tears?
OK, the baggie is not sealed, but the figure is mint and most likely the original. The box is in good shape and I've been told the back is nice too. The second insert unfortunately is not included. The previous owner is a well-known collector in Japan. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Idefix13 said:
Uli
I know this is not directed at myself but I'm going to go out on a limb here, since there does seem to be a lot of confusion regarding this whole 'trade,' 'exchange,' or 'give-a-way'.

Recent auction closures of complete (box, both inserts, & sealed baggie) POPY's, have run right at $200.00, thus given the lack of the second (most desirable) insert and a non-sealed bag, you should be able to get a general feel for the "worth/value" of this particular piece.

My particular trade (the Stormie lot) that I listed above, I value right at $200.00 so that's what I put up as an offer, obviously above what I feel the trade item (Luke) is worth.

Just my thoughts on your question as to value.

Cheers,

-John

Reaction score
Many thanks to both Johns for their help!

OK I thought about the this for a while and as it should have the touch of a 'cultural exchange' (only a touch) I decided to part with a few European paperwork itmes I have lying around:

First German fouldout catalog for SW items (please notice that the prototype figures of wave 2 are pictured inside):

A German ROTJ fouldout catalog:

Fench ROTJ small catalog:

Palitoy ESB Hoth Scene poster:

Meccano Luke Bespin carback (in nice condition):

And 2 or 3 other items I have in my folder

Uli

Reaction score
Seeing as I'm very much in need of a Popy Luke I would be willing to trade this:

Reaction score
Thanks for the offers everyone! I'm going to keep this going for a few more days then hand it over to the JRS staff

Reaction score
It is with regret that due to the lack of offers, the Popy Luke has been withdrawn. The JRS staff were hoping that the trade off would generate a lot more interest, but unfortunately it just didn't happen. I would like to say that the withdrawal was not based on the monetary value of the items offered, and we'd like to extend our gratitude to the members who took the time to photograph their items and post their offers.

So this is unfortunately ending on a bit of a down note. However, the JRS staff has decided that if any of the participants (those that made an offer) would still like the chance to own the Popy Luke, they may have the option of buying it instead. The posters that made offers can contact me via PM if they are interested.

Once again, I'd like to personally apologize and also apologize on behalf of the entire JRS staff for the unfortunate turn of events. It was a good idea, but obviously requires tweaking/rethinking. Hopefully the next competition will run smoother.