The Force Awakens Toys - General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
I just wish they would really do true collectors and kids lines, instead of trying to serve both masters and kind of leaving everyone mildly dissatisfied.

The collector's line should be as good, if not better, than NECA's stuff. Hasbro surely has the resources.

For the 6" and whatever the 4" "Masterpiece" or "Classic" or TVC is called in the future, they ought to produce best-in-class items with the 18+ year old buyer in mind, even if that kicks the price up. That means better factory execution and more "ultimate" accessories. It means pulling the plug on a bad idea (Jedi Training Luke) earlier and setting unique SKUs for smaller (Yoda) or larger (an Ephant Mon) figures as needed, just as NECA does.

And if the price is closer to $15/$25 a unit with all of that, due to the license and higher QC expectations, then collectors will have to either put up or shut up. And I'm pretty sure most would put up (or just wait a few weeks for a BOGO).

And they need a representative to engage with us on Twitter and FB. That is such an easy, cheap thing to do. Get a SME to spend 10 hours a week answering questions. Such a no-brainer.

Sure, they can keep on ******* around and producing half-***** stuff until the end of time, and sure they'll keep making a profit. But I'd bet they'd generate years of business (kids and collectors will have kids, one day), and possibly even higher revenue if they just put a little more care into it. There are scads of organizations who have demonstrated for decades that generating consumer goodwill and loyalty has many, many rewards, beyond and including the bottom line.

Like their products or not, NECA and Funk are showing the big guys how to do it right, IMO.

Reaction score
Id rather they focus on TVC style quality but with matching joints. Let pack ins be a secondary after thought. That being said I'd love environmental pieces as a deluxe line.
I agree, ditch the pack-ins. They just drive up costs, meanwhile we get stuck with figures that have non matching joint colors. However, I see accessories as a needed item. What's the point of having a Stormtrooper w/o a Blaster?
And yes, I'm right there with you on that Deluxe Line!

Reaction score
I agree, ditch the pack-ins. They just drive up costs, meanwhile we get stuck with figures that have non matching joint colors. However, I see accessories as a needed item. What's the point of having a Stormtrooper w/o a Blaster?
And yes, I'm right there with you on that Deluxe Line!
It took pack in to mean something outside of basic weaponry you'd expect from a figure.

TVC gave us some flawless sculpts and articulation but the paint job failed due to the joints e.g. Klaatu or snaggletooth. Thus they were 9/10.

Historically, Hasbro has produced figures short of perfect on purpose in order to secure further demand for a future release to correct previous errors or add that final vital detail. Am I being too cynical?

Then again they do give us definitive masterpieces like Admiral Ackbar and Dengar and Sandtrooper and Darth Vader and Hoth Leia and Darth Maul and Weequay and Wicket and Aayla and Jedi Luke and Darth Sidious and Endorse Rebel Soldier and on and on... GOD I LOVE YOU TVC!!!

Reaction score
in the end I just want a great toy line with a good array of characters and vehicles and please Hasbro for the love of everything..... Stop the carry forwards of core characters. it's old hack. also please do not do the horrible distribution nightmare of TPM 3D or G.I. Joe Retaliation.

I'm also hoping for a Midnight Madness at TRU event were perhaps the first 2-3 waves of figures and vehicles will be available for purchase. loved going to all the MM's at TRU.

Reaction score
in the end I just want a great toy line with a good array of characters and vehicles and please Hasbro for the love of everything..... Stop the carry forwards of core characters. it's old hack. also please do not do the horrible distribution nightmare of TPM 3D or G.I. Joe Retaliation.

I'm also hoping for a Midnight Madness at TRU event were perhaps the first 2-3 waves of figures and vehicles will be available for purchase. loved going to all the MM's at TRU.

I am hoping for a midnight madness at Toys R Us also with the first 2-3 waves. Just like the PT and Clone Wars movies.

Big difference in a midnight madness and the way Hasbro released the Rebels figures.

Reaction score
The collector's line should be as good, if not better, than NECA's stuff. Hasbro surely has the resources.
Yes, but it's a typical corporation that believes in maximun production with minimal quality for maximun profit. Never gonna change.

Reaction score
Then again they do give us definitive masterpieces like Admiral Ackbar and Dengar and Sandtrooper and Darth Vader and Hoth Leia and Darth Maul and Weequay and Wicket and Aayla and Jedi Luke and Darth Sidious and Endorse Rebel Soldier and on and on... GOD I LOVE YOU TVC!!!
Agree with you on superb sculpt part, but it fails in articulation. lol No ankles on a couple of those guys!
While arguably, Ackbar may not have needed them. As he just sits and stands. Leia sure could have used them, she really gets around.

Reaction score
I'll gladly pay 15 bucks for a collectors line. An ACTUAL collectors line that would rival TCV.

Reaction score
Agree with you on superb sculpt part, but it fails in articulation. lol No ankles on a couple of those guys!
While arguably, Ackbar may not have needed them. As he just sits and stands. Leia sure could have used them, she really gets around.
What would articulated ankles do for Leia? She hardly has any action poses whilst wearing the Hoth outfit.

Reaction score
I'll gladly pay 15 bucks for a collectors line. An ACTUAL collectors line that would rival TCV.
For 3 3/4 I want perfection and nothing short of it. £10.99 I'm paying for figures at the moment should be enough. If it's not then the greedy ******** at Lucasfilm/Disney/Hasbro need to reconsider thier business strategy because they're going to lose money and the collector market is going to dwindle more than it has post-TVC. By that I mean, you will have people buying figures but not multiple purchases or they will wait for the times to go on sale. I hope that things improve to TVC standard which is the best the toy line has ever seen, but Hasbro appeals to all customers and releases the occasional figure aimed at collectors. A collectors only line is a big gamble that will not pay off. The increasing prices are pricing me out of the market and that's why I'm not going to buy any variation of Luke AT ALL since I have the one I want in the VOTC line (or was it saga?). That's good enough for me and I can imagine that most collectors have the definitive version of the figure they want too so they too will be highly selective in waht they buy. Sure, increase the price to £15.99 but that will only mean that I will buy maybe 1 or 2 figures from a wave than the 3 or 4 I would've bought if they were £9.99 or the entire wave plus multiples I would've bought when they were £7.99. Pure speculation f course and I hope I'm proven wrong because I want most of us to be happy again and able to say 'not only is this an excellent figure but it's at a fair price too!' - unless you're a complete tight **** of course!

Reaction score
I just wish they would really do true collectors and kids lines, instead of trying to serve both masters and kind of leaving everyone mildly dissatisfied.
Well said. That's what they Need to do.

Reaction score
What would articulated ankles do for Leia? She hardly has any action poses whilst wearing the Hoth outfit.
Oh, I'm guessing you don't need you ankles to bend whilst walking through snow or Ice caves. My bad. I must be the only person that uses the articulation that I have, to traverse rocks hills etc. :hmm:

Reaction score
Maybe if oil prices continue to fall and with the inevitably larger production runs, Hasbro could hit a sweeter spot with a fully articulated line... The 8.00 price point seemed to do very well with them. It was just when it started to climb above that where the problems started..

Reaction score
For 3 3/4 I want perfection and nothing short of it. £10.99 I'm paying for figures at the moment should be enough. If it's not then the greedy ******** at Lucasfilm/Disney/Hasbro need to reconsider thier business strategy because they're going to lose money and the collector market is going to dwindle more than it has post-TVC. By that I mean, you will have people buying figures but not multiple purchases or they will wait for the times to go on sale. I hope that things improve to TVC standard which is the best the toy line has ever seen, but Hasbro appeals to all customers and releases the occasional figure aimed at collectors. A collectors only line is a big gamble that will not pay off. The increasing prices are pricing me out of the market and that's why I'm not going to buy any variation of Luke AT ALL since I have the one I want in the VOTC line (or was it saga?). That's good enough for me and I can imagine that most collectors have the definitive version of the figure they want too so they too will be highly selective in waht they buy. Sure, increase the price to £15.99 but that will only mean that I will buy maybe 1 or 2 figures from a wave than the 3 or 4 I would've bought if they were £9.99 or the entire wave plus multiples I would've bought when they were £7.99. Pure speculation f course and I hope I'm proven wrong because I want most of us to be happy again and able to say 'not only is this an excellent figure but it's at a fair price too!' - unless you're a complete tight **** of course!
Yeah. I guess you're right. I think the lowest price we're going to get is $12.99 though.

Reaction score
Oh, I'm guessing you don't need you ankles to bend whilst walking through snow or Ice caves. My bad. I must be the only person that uses the articulation that I have, to traverse rocks hills etc. :hmm:
Oh yes...to capture that walking motion that we all use with our Hoth Leia's in that pivotal scene in which Leia walks from one area to the next. Oh, how silly of Hasbro to not have included ankle articulation so that we can put Leia in that much sought after walking stance. Yes, in my Hoth diorama if the Rebel soldiers do not have their ankles angled in a certain way it really takes me out of the picture I've created.

That you compare yourself to a piece of plastic reveals a lot about you. We humans require ankle articulation because we are, you know, real unlike the plastic figurines which are not real and are perfectly fine just sitting or standing doing nothing. As you can tell I'm not an articulation junkie. Not all figures/characters require ankle articulation at all.

Reaction score
Yeah. I guess you're right. I think the lowest price we're going to get is $12.99 though.
$12.99? It's sad if it ever gets to that stage. Then it looks like I'll just be buying select figures, and I mean being very nit picky about what I buy. I'll wait for reviews to come out first. I can't afford to waste money like that. I think the potentially increased price points will cause a lot of people to reprioritise their collection more so than they already have.

Reaction score
$12.99? It's sad if it ever gets to that stage. Then it looks like I'll just be buying select figures, and I mean being very nit picky about what I buy. I'll wait for reviews to come out first. I can't afford to waste money like that. I think the potentially increased price points will cause a lot of people to reprioritise their collection more so than they already have.
It got to that stage a few months ago when some Targets had black series 3.75 figures for 11.99.

Reaction score
I remember my hieght in this hobby, back in 2001, and the McFarlane Toy Boards exploded as their 7inch figures went over the $10.00 retail mark. LOL

Reaction score
$12.99? It's sad if it ever gets to that stage. Then it looks like I'll just be buying select figures, and I mean being very nit picky about what I buy. I'll wait for reviews to come out first. I can't afford to waste money like that.
A lot of people said the same thing when $7.99 was rumored...they still army build today.

Reaction score
I remember my hieght in this hobby, back in 2001, and the McFarlane Toy Boards exploded as their 7inch figures went over the $10.00 retail mark. LOL
Don't forget, those figures had top notch paint that made up for them being less articulated. $10 is more then worth it.

Reaction score
Don't forget, those figures had top notch paint that made up for them being less articulated. $10 is more then worth it.
Yeah, and 14 years ago, 7inch figures going from 6.99 to 8.99 to suddenly 10.00 plus in few short years, was seen as the end of the hobby.

Now, figures get smaller, less acessories, lower quality in plastic and paint aps, yet the price keeps going up and up... and people keep buying them. Makes ZERO sense.

It's what made me selective in this hobby. I tend to go only for 6 inch and above and mainly high end. 6 Inch Black series is probably the cheapest thing on my shelves.

To be a total completist or a duplicate nut in this hobby these days is either a mental disorder, or no concept of money.

Reaction score
To be a total completist or a duplicate nut in this hobby these days is either a mental disorder, or no concept of money.
Somewhat harsh, no?
I am certainly no completist, but the debate has been had on here before that we all share the same hobby to varying degrees.
Anybody's level of disposable income, and how they wish to dispose of it (or not) is also none of your business at all. As long as it is obtained legally and spent in the same manner, what right have you to criticise?

Reaction score
Somewhat harsh, no?
I am certainly no completist, but the debate has been had on here before that we all share the same hobby to varying degrees.
Anybody's level of disposable income, and how they wish to dispose of it (or not) is also none of your business at all. As long as it is obtained legally and spent in the same manner, what right have you to criticise?
When re-reading it, you are right. It is a bit harsh in wording.

Was taking into consideration, and should have specified the hording types that I've encountered, like those that buy sealed cases, or at least 2-3 of every character sealed.
I can say that, cause I was there for some months, and realized it was from the fear of not having enough or loosing it which was triggered by a past traumatic moment in my life.
So yes, I will admit it, in those months I lost concept of money and had a disorder to overcome, which I did.

To criticise, I will. Cause if no one points out that there's something wrong upstairs to be so obsessed over plastic action men, then who will?
My brother pointed out my problem, and grateful he did as I can now enjoy collecting, but don't live for it.
Are we to shut and let people think it's cool to lose themselves in such a manner? No ways, that's just inhumane and true ignorance if justified as "their money legally spent".

Reaction score
To criticise, I will. Cause if no one points out that there's something wrong upstairs to be so obsessed over plastic action men, then who will?
My brother pointed out my problem, and grateful he did as I can now enjoy collecting, but don't live for it.
Are we to shut and let people think it's cool to lose themselves in such a manner? No ways, that's just inhumane and true ignorance if justified as "their money legally spent".
I agree with this point. Collecting can be an addiction. There was a point when I collected WWE Classic Superstars to the point when I got to wave 12 I thought WTF am I doing? I'm glad I stopped and now I've got the majority of figures stored that I don't want to keep and would love to sell. I'm sure there are many here who would love to sell off thier POTF figures or any other 'junk' they've collected.

Those of us who have been burnt already know the dangers but there are many who continue to collect. I could afford to collect everything that's out there SW right now but that would be stupid. I've learnt to just focus on characters from ANH in SA form but the 6" and 5POA are just different enough for me to collect the CORE characters (Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Vader, Obi Wan, R2D2, C3PO) and then the core characters from ESB/ROTJ (Boba Fett, Yoda, Lando, Ackbar, Wicket, Jabba, The Emperor)

I also like my dioramas so will collect cantina creatures, some pilots from ANH only, SA figures that fit in the Hoth diorama, Ewok diorama, and how can anyone resist Jabba's goons?

I keep things in perspective and I'm already considering selling off some of my TVC because I don't see the point of keeping figures stored away because they're 'wanted' or 'rare'. I want what I love and what I love I have displayed. It's good to be reminded that this is just a hobby and perhaps we all, myself certainly incldued, over analyse and get frustrated over it. Also, it's not deserving of the expense (is it?) and some people do get carried away and make regret purchases. I also understand dathsatan' view that this hobby gives people pleasure and you should treat people like adults.

Reaction score
Well that kind of intervention is for the families of people who know the individual concerned and can see their problem, and I'm glad that it was done correctly for yourself. It does make it all the more intriguing how you voiced your opinion originally though!

Also, in this online environment then obviously there is no back-up scenario to be applied outside of the forum as mere hobbyists. We know little about one another as individuals beyond that common shared interest and therefore it is still inappropriate for here to level criticism. In my opinion anyway. There have been some stinking arguments about it before.

Reaction score
Well that kind of intervention is for the families of people who know the individual concerned and can see their problem, and I'm glad that it was done correctly for yourself. It does make it all the more intriguing how you voiced your opinion originally though!
I think we can all intervene if we're concerned. My family didn't intervene at all. I learnt the hard way because collectors can be stubborn. It's about how it's worded etc. and depends upon the maturity of the correspondents.

What orignal opinion are you referring to?

Reaction score
Well aren't you ladies extremely opinionated?

This thread is boring as **** ******* ****.

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
To some extent, every Collector has an addiction to collecting. Otherwise we would buy release after release... We'd all be content with the first ever release, and move on. As it's been pointed out, what people do with their money. Is their own concern.
The only real problem I would see, is that if their bills were unpaid and the kids are starving. Then it becomes an issue. Otherwise who is anyone to decide whether it's alright to spend ??? on AF's. Surely no the Millions of people buying Cigarettes. < See we all have an opinion about what people spend their money on, is wrong.

I've been through good times and bad times, my collecting has changes according to those situations. But even if I have the ability to overspend, doesn't mean I do. If I already have it, i don't really need it. I can get that concept fine. TBH, I don't know how anyone can get too deep right now. There's been absolutely nothing to buy for a whole year, and the last 3 have been very sparse.

IMO $10 is a solid price point for SA figures, I'd even be fine with a few Dollars more. But only for all new characters! I will not pay more money, for yet more reruns of Han Luke and Leis etc.! That's the biggest hurdle Hasbro has to get through their head. If you want to charge more, you will have to give substantially more effort!

As it stands right now, I only see two figures from TFA that I'd buy right now. So hopefully they delve more into the secondaries, than what we've heard. It also depends on what scale they'll be. But if they do an SA 3.75, and the sculpts rival TVC. I'll definitely get the aged versions of Han Luke and Leia, as I've been wanting them since NJO! I'd also take the Girl. But so far that Sith guy isn't interesting enough.

Of course once I see the movie, and all it has to offer. that might change.

Reaction score
My concerns have little to do with points of articulation, scale, or packaging, but as to whether or not there will actually be a full-fledged TFA collection at all.

We all know the action figure death knell has been sounding for a while now. Sure, "Collectors lines" continue to do well, but children's lines are waning. We live in a time where The Thor Dark World line lasted a single wave (which never included its main villain), GotG got scaled back to 2", and what The Bridge Direct did to The Hobbit license was nothing short of a travesty. Looking closer to home, Rebels has become the first instance in SW history that a new brand did not receive its very own dedicated line, but rather was lazily tucked beneath the Saga Legends moniker with only a slight card title variation. I won't even mention the distribution issues...

I think 90% of what's ever left of my collecting habits are nostalgia driven. Every March before the release of a new SW film I was ready, cash blindly in hand to buy up EVERYTHING there was to be had. Most of that now sits uselessly in Tuperware bins in the attic, not even worth their weight in plastic, but the memories of those late night/early morning hunts are somehow dear to me. I've always thought there was more fun in collecting than the collection itself, I guess.

Anyways, I'm almost entirely certain the days of Midnight Release parties are long gone, but all fanfare aside, I'm hoping we at least get an initial offering of 20 or so figures on a "Force Awakens" cardback come spring. What they look like doesn't really matter so much, they'll be in the attic shortly afterward, anyway. :p

Reaction score
We all know the action figure death knell has been sounding for a while now.
We most certainly do not all know that.

Sounds like you yourself are done and you have some anecdotes that state such.

Please do not speak for the rest of us. Opinions are cool but blanket claims are not.

Reaction score
His points are valid, though. Action figures as we know them certainly seem to be on the way out - at least as far as viability at retail goes. TMNT is really the only true success story of action figures at retail as far as the last few years go. Most action figure lines are tanking and tanking hard. Hasbro's handling of Rebels certainly doesn't give one faith in what they will try with TFA, either.

We all know, though, that Star Wars is a different beast - and hopefully, it will buck the trends again and bring back the excitement for those that walked away over the years and maybe bring in kids. We can't count on a large toyline with a lot of characters and vehicles, though. The market just doesn't support that anymore, sadly.

Reaction score
But just to put things in perspective, certain lines have failed in every era. There was never a time when everything sold well. The action figure industry is evolving - for better or for worse - but it'll be around for a long, long time. My guess is that it'll increasingly become more adult collector-focused, but never conclusively so. I say this as someone who came into action figure collecting from comic book collecting, and everyone knows how bad things got for the comic book industry. That industry has seen drastic changes in EVERYTHING with respect to the comic book format.

But personal feeling is that there will be a heavy push for TFA lines aimed towards children. Which probably means a lot of 4" 5POA and 3" Imaginext-type stuff, along with their vehicles. Hasbro will obviously offer some mid-price-range, adult collector-focused stuff dealing with TFA, but I could see why they wouldn't have particularly high hopes for relatively expensive adult collectibles of characters that have not yet played a part in anyone's childhood.

Reaction score
Probably that, yes, however, GotG does give a slight inkling of hope. It wasn't the most impressive line, but at least it was it's own line and had some diversity. I guess if 30+ basics, a full wave of vehicle/beasts, sleeping bags, party plates, a fast food promo spanning 3 different chains, and some 12" are out if the question, I'll take that over a few figures being tossed into the Black series.

@odinsdad, not sure how wishing for the golden days is being negative, but in the future ill be extra careful to start all statements with "most of us" or possibly "some of us" in order to keep generalizations at a minimum.