The Force Awakens Toys - General Discussion Thread

GNT

Reaction score
Still awhile off but what's everyone hoping Hasbro does with the Episode 7 toy line?

Figure wise - Super articulated? 5POA? Action Features?

Cardbacks - Vintage like packaging with a large character image? Some weird trooper helmet type packaging similar to the Legacy, CW and the 2nd Black Series style packaging?

As pointed out on Yakface last week, Hasbro has started on EP7 products or at least in the planning stages atm.

Post your general thoughts here on The Force Awakens toys?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, that's really difficult to say. Considering we have no idea what anything looks like, character wise. We already know that older versions of the main cast have to be a given. Which if SA, I'd be down for an older Luke and Han. I tried making one with the old Indy head, but it's not the best likeness. So I'm hoping they'll do better for EP7! If they're 5POA, I'll pass.

As for cardbacks, they should probably be movie themed. But I think TVC should be brought back for a subline of niche characters, that don't necessarily appear in EP7. Basically used for repacks of previous figures, ala SL from 2007ish.

Reaction score
Fingers crossed we'll get some nice 3 inch figures, vehicles/creatures, and 6 inch Black Series figures

Reaction score
I loved the Force Awakens teaser, but now I'm worried that I'll want more of the Episode 7 figures than I initially thought....Those new stormtroopers are amazing, and I also want the character with the new lightsaber (with the little blades at the hilt)...

GNT

Reaction score
And just think you haven't even seen Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie and the droids (Well C-3PO as pictures are around of R2) yet, once you pick up the returning characters you'll probably pick up many new offerings that are coming as well :p

Reaction score
So far, i haven't seen anything to compel me to buy figures. The new Stormtrooper is probably a given. But everything else in that teaser doesn't scream figure material to me.
Well, maybe the X-Wing Pilot. At least he's not all Orange. lol

Reaction score
And just think you haven't even seen Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie and the droids (Well C-3PO as pictures are around of R2) yet, once you pick up the returning characters you'll probably pick up many new offerings that are coming as well :p
Yes, when Episode 7 was announced two years ago I told myself I would not collect these figures at all when they came out, since I wanted to make a clean break re: collecting prior to their release. However, now I've gone from saying I won't get any to saying I'll probably get some...hopefully I won't want all of them... o-o

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing what the packaging's going to look like. Will their millennium Falcon have any new features or will it be the same as the old one but with the rectangular dish?

Reaction score
So far, i haven't seen anything to compel me to buy figures. The new Stormtrooper is probably a given. But everything else in that teaser doesn't scream figure material to me.
Gosh. And here's me going from being burnt out to wanting the new Stormtrooper, the new Stormtrooper black guy with removable helmet, the new astromech droid, the girl and her new speeder, the new X-Wing and pilot, the new guy with the cool red lightsaber, the new alien vendor and the giant pig thing.

No figure material, you say?

(OK, I draw the line at another Falcon just because the radar is different.)

Reaction score
I can, however, see them releasing slightly retooled TIE fighters and of course the falcon though.

Reaction score
Yeah, it will be a straight up repack with the new dish on top and the pack-in Han will have grey hair.
The more important question is, do they figure out some way to reuse the scrawny legged, barrel cheated Vintage Saga version?

Reaction score
So my point is, I am not optimistic that many, if any, Episode 7 figures will be done in SA. Definitely not a really deep line like we have seen before with the new movies. That would mean having 5 POA saga legends on the pegs at the same time as 3.75 SA figures and the same characters. This didn't bode well all the different times Hasbro had the same characters from different lines on the pegs at the same time, most recently, the vintage obi-wans and Qui-Gons on the pegs at the same time those movie heroes 3D figures came out. I firmly believe the SA line is now a sub line that will yield 30-40 figures max each year from all movies and shows. The ST characters and stand alone characters will probably be peppered in for the time being.
I could also see them doing a mixed line like they did for ROTS - with some characters SA and some limited POA.

Reaction score
Technically, I already have that girl on the speeder. From a certain POV, The McQuarrie figure screams that design. So it's not exactly on my most wanted list.
Now, if she comes in a different outfit. I'll be interested then. My point is that "so far" there's nothing to get overly excited about. Once I see more characters I'll be able to say whether I want anything or not.

Yeah, it will be a straight up repack with the new dish on top and the pack-in Han will have grey hair.
But, what about Chewbacca!? Will they pack in a Chewie w/Cane too?

Reaction score
Technically, I already have that girl on the speeder. From a certain POV, The McQuarrie figure screams that design. So it's not exactly on my most wanted list.
Now, if she comes in a different outfit. I'll be interested then. My point is that "so far" there's nothing to get overly excited about. Once I see more characters I'll be able to say whether I want anything or not.

But, what about Chewbacca!? Will they pack in a Chewie w/Cane too?
Didn't even think of that....she is definitely VERY inspired from McQuarrie's designs, which I know Rebels used, but I didn't even think of JJ using some. She is a spitting image of what Luke was supposed to be in the initial iteration. It was George's intention to make his heroine a girl from the get-go, but changed his mind as the drafts got edited more. I think it's cool that it's almost coming full-circle now with Daisy's character being the main hero now.

Reaction score
Yes, they've changed it orange to grapefruit! I can't wait to see how many pilots we get:awesome:. Thank God my girlfriend likes that I'm geeky.

Reaction score
Would it be crazy to think we'll see figures at Toy Fair?

Reaction score
I don't want to have to get a new Falcon from the ST, since I have to draw the line somewhere. That being said, the only one I have is the POTF2 one from 1995. And, I now regret not getting the BMF Falcon from the 200X's....

Reaction score
as I haven't seen the trailer yet for EP VII (I'm trying to be totally surprised in 2015) I'd want Hasbro to continue making the figures in an SA format of the 3.75" scale (not that horrible 2" line like GOTG) with great accessories, no action features and the cardback I'm on the fence with. I love the look of the classic Kenner Vintage line but I also like the current cardback design for the Legends lineup.

Reaction score
Would it be crazy to think we'll see figures at Toy Fair?
i don't think it will be a crazy idea but I doubt we'll see actually prototypes. I think it will be more along the lines of a slide presentation.

I'd love to see perhaps an advanced preview figure similiar to the Mace Windu/Stap from Episode 1. perhaps a mail away idea.

Reaction score
So far only interested in the X-Wing pilot and Daisy's character. That speeder box-bike was kinda cool. I don't have a Falcon but I'm only interested if it gives us the option of the old sensor dish, otherwise they can get lost. Not really interested in the new X-Wings. So it looks like again I'll be sticking to being a primarily OT collector, and just cherry-picking any new stuff that pops up I happen to like. Figures of the original cast will depend on how good they look.

That's why I'm a little disappointed in the trailer. I'd have preferred they concentrate less on the ships and spfx (which we know they can do a dime a dozen) and showed us more footage of the characters, including the original cast.

Plus I still don't like JJ's shaking camera thing on the ship scenes! :mad:

Reaction score
Oh man i hope not. If there are no reveals at TF, maybe a little sneak peak at SDCC and then full line reveal at NYCC?

Reaction score
All the big stuff happens at SDCC, expect a slide show and a lengthy trailer (maybe even the intro sequence) at that time.

Reaction score
I'm getting so impatient, I really wanna see some figures now! The wait is going to kill me

Reaction score
I think it would be very cool for them to integrate a magnetic strip, or perhaps even a magnetic shell, onto the ball part of the soccer ball droid and also have a magnet on the underside of this dome so it would stick on at any given spot, or a specific track on the ball. Could make for a very cool toy, although it would be difficult to recreate that exact rolling effect with his head still upright.

Reaction score
I think it would be very cool for them to integrate a magnetic strip, or perhaps even a magnetic shell, onto the ball part of the soccer ball droid and also have a magnet on the underside of this dome so it would stick on at any given spot, or a specific track on the ball. Could make for a very cool toy, although it would be difficult to recreate that exact rolling effect with his head still upright.
We can't even get more than 5POA for ten bucks already, and now you want magnetic mechanisms???

Reaction score
We can't even get more than 5POA for ten bucks already, and now you want magnetic mechanisms???

Jesus, someone's cranky. Relax, I personally hate 5POA unless it's Kenner and you really think putting a freaking magnet is going to somehow explosively inflate the cost of a droid that takes half the plastic of a normal figure to build? Yeah...that makes sense.

And YES, I want COOL FEATURES ON MY TOYS! Wow.

Reaction score
Honestly, the articulation - or lack therof - may be the determining factor as to whether or not I get these figures. When POT2 debuted in 1995, the 5 POA was fine & we didn't expect anything else. However, these days I think all of us expect a lot more from these figures.

I would hope these new EP7 figures would have more than 5 POA - but, if they don't, I won't be at all surprised. We'll see...

Reaction score
Honestly, the articulation - or lack therof - may be the determining factor as to whether or not I get these figures. When POT2 debuted in 1995, the 5 POA was fine & we didn't expect anything else. However, these days I think all of us expect a lot more from these figures.

I would hope these new EP7 figures would have more than 5 POA - but, if they don't, I won't be at all surprised. We'll see...
Agreed, for me it's def. SA or bust. And again, I wouldn't be surprised either if all we see is 5POA.

Reaction score
All the big stuff happens at SDCC, expect a slide show and a lengthy trailer (maybe even the intro sequence) at that time.
There's also that SW Celebration in April, so maybe we'll see something then.

Reaction score
That is possible. It's also possible with the film coming out in December that they might start releasing stuff for the Christmas Shopping season. If they have names for certain characters and we've seen them in a Trailer, then there's no reason why they can't give us figures of them. For instance, the guy with the red lightsaber could be released as a masked Version and if there is some Kind of secret reveal in the film, we still wouldn't know anyway.

Hasbro and Disney may want to start the TFA line in Septemeber/October and not the usual 6 weeks or so before the film. They're going to want the shelves to be fairly dry from everything else (TBS, Vader Lava Legends/Missions), however, the last Thing they can afford is for them not to have anything for the beginning of the Christmas store set-ups in Sept/Oct.

Reaction score
I imagine we'll see a preview wave of 4 figures in July/August with perhaps a preview vehicle similiar to how ROTS was launched..... then a mega Midnight Madness launch at TRU for late October/Early November.

Hopefully Hasbro doesn't blow this like the TPM 3D release or the Massive Wave 1 launch from G.I. Joe Retaliation.

I'm hoping that Hasbro at least gives us the first 2 waves of The Force Awakens toys in Late October/Early November.

Reaction score
According to the leaked Disney marketing memo (when the list of books leaked), TFA merch should be hitting in September.

Reaction score
If it's anything like their Rebels launch, that seems about right.

You know the nicest part about new films? All of the lines will get new SKUs.