The Force Awakens - General Film Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Carrie is gone. Sad sad day. I read that she recently finished her scenes for episode VIII. It will be bittersweet to watch now for certain. RIP Princess.

Reaction score
Carrie is gone. Sad sad day. I read that she recently finished her scenes for episode VIII. It will be bittersweet to watch now for certain. RIP Princess.
definitely. I hope that give her a dedication in the movie. I'm worried how they will handle her character in the new movie.

Reaction score
definitely. I hope that give her a dedication in the movie. I'm worried how they will handle her character in the new movie.
New movie?

Don't have to worry about how they handle anything till EP 9.

I really do wonder how they will continue Leia's story if she is meant to live through EP 9?

Reaction score
New movie?

Don't have to worry about how they handle anything till EP 9.

I really do wonder how they will continue Leia's story if she is meant to live through EP 9?
that's my point... she was reported as having a larger role in EP VIII. what if her character was meant to be in EP IX ? they either have to redo parts of 8 to change the story to reflect her passing or cast a new actress to play the role in 9 or make some crazy reason as to why she's not in 9.

Reaction score
that's my point... she was reported as having a larger role in EP VIII. what if her character was meant to be in EP IX ? they either have to redo parts of 8 to change the story to reflect her passing or cast a new actress to play the role in 9 or make some crazy reason as to why she's not in 9.
I wouldn't be apposed to a look alike actress to play Leia in EP 9 with maybe a bit of Carrie Fishers face CGI'd onto her.

I reckon that is the best option to have Leia in EP 9.

As for EP 10, 11 and 12 I don't think we will be seeing them for a while anyways.

Disney will probably have a big break after EP 9 and just do stand alone films for a while.

Reaction score
Once you start down that path, forever will it dominate...
I hope that this practice doesn't get out of hand. And surely, we're in Jack Kirby territory now? How does something like this affect the person who should be getting paid for their part, but are gone? Is there a precedent set in Movies for this now?

GNT

Reaction score
Once you start down that path, forever will it dominate...
I hope that this practice doesn't get out of hand. And surely, we're in Jack Kirby territory now? How does something like this affect the person who should be getting paid for their part, but are gone? Is there a precedent set in Movies for this now?
I'm sure they'd pay the estate of the actor for use of their likeness and have it all cleared before using it. I don't think they can just simply use a likeness and get away with it.

Depending on how big Leia is in ep8, they might be able to CGI a scene where she decides to take up her own quest to write her out. It's such a tough boat to be in but I'm sure Disney will figure it all out :(

Reaction score
I remember in one of the New Jedi Order era books (no longer canon of course) a character enters a meeting with the major characters and simply says "Admiral Ackbar is dead". No reaction to the statement from anyone. Just a throwaway line with no impact on the characters or story. Luke, Leia and Han deserve better. Han's death was a waste. If they decide to kill Leia, which would be very difficult to watch, I hope they do it justice. She deserves better than a simple "Leia is dead".

Reaction score
I remember in one of the New Jedi Order era books (no longer canon of course) a character enters a meeting with the major characters and simply says "Admiral Ackbar is dead". No reaction to the statement from anyone. Just a throwaway line with no impact on the characters or story. Luke, Leia and Han deserve better. Han's death was a waste. If they decide to kill Leia, which would be very difficult to watch, I hope they do it justice. She deserves better than a simple "Leia is dead".

Its the thing I hated the most about TFA with how they killed off Han Solo.

Was just a dumb idea all around............

Reaction score
The thing is, we never really got a sense of how much she learned form Luke. Or if they kept her character similar to the books, where she didn't learn much past feelings and such. I truly wanted see here wild a Saber. granted, she wouldn't be anything lime Luke or any other Jedi. But to see her fend off an attack, or a tiny skirmish. :grin:

I also got the feeling that she would either die confronting Kylo about Han, or Snoke would end her for interfering. IDK, it's hard to tell what they had planned for her based on what little TFA appearance she had.
Heck, maybe she was the only one who would survive the whole trilogy. Which now becomes a difficult task of rewrites.

Reaction score
Its the thing I hated the most about TFA with how they killed off Han Solo.

Was just a dumb idea all around............
See I don't particularly find that they killed Han awful, and the way they did it I was fine with. Ford has wanted Han to die since Empire, this was an amicable decision on part of everyone. My problem is Disney has been so secretive about the time periods and the 30 years between trilogies, minus a few books now, it feels like Han lost something. I mean the Han we met in TFA was still heroic, but he was back doing what he'd done nearly 40 years ago because things went bad. I mean even he and Leia basically divorced even though they still loved each other because they just couldn't handle things. It annoys me that all the big heroes sort of just ran away, except Leia who knew the Resistance was needed. I guess I just dislike that (and yes I realize books and the old EU didn't always turn out so great.) we see such a defining moment of celebration and happiness in RotJ...and then we have to jump 30 years ahead and suddenly everything is either been reset or just as bad a sit was during Imperial control.

Reaction score
See I don't particularly find that they killed Han awful, and the way they did it I was fine with. Ford has wanted Han to die since Empire, this was an amicable decision on part of everyone. My problem is Disney has been so secretive about the time periods and the 30 years between trilogies, minus a few books now, it feels like Han lost something. I mean the Han we met in TFA was still heroic, but he was back doing what he'd done nearly 40 years ago because things went bad. I mean even he and Leia basically divorced even though they still loved each other because they just couldn't handle things. It annoys me that all the big heroes sort of just ran away, except Leia who knew the Resistance was needed. I guess I just dislike that (and yes I realize books and the old EU didn't always turn out so great.) we see such a defining moment of celebration and happiness in RotJ...and then we have to jump 30 years ahead and suddenly everything is either been reset or just as bad a sit was during Imperial control.
Oohhh don't worry why do you think they signed on a new actor to play Han Solo? TO MILK IT over the next 30 years while he ages so that they can have a new prequel series in the next decade or so. Just give it a few more years, and there will be a new Luke Skywalker and Leia, and they'll very much make a series on this era. I almost guarantee it.

Reaction score
Oohhh don't worry why do you think they signed on a new actor to play Han Solo? TO MILK IT over the next 30 years while he ages so that they can have a new prequel series in the next decade or so. Just give it a few more years, and there will be a new Luke Skywalker and Leia, and they'll very much make a series on this era. I almost guarantee it.
While I don't doubt you're on to something, wouldn't that be jarring? Like I get if Ewan comes back in place of Guinness, that's something they'll do, but wouldn't it be weird if we watch Prequels-OT- new films in between with new cast- ST with old cast?

Reaction score
TBH, if that's all they got planned, then I'll be done with this franchise after EP9! I have no interest in all that redo BS.

GNT

Reaction score
While I don't doubt you're on to something, wouldn't that be jarring? Like I get if Ewan comes back in place of Guinness, that's something they'll do, but wouldn't it be weird if we watch Prequels-OT- new films in between with new cast- ST with old cast?
Maybe a little but we'll all get used to it. You've just got to suspend belief if they ever do OT era films with the main crew with different actors, it's more about the character not about the person playing the role. For me it'll be like watching the Bond films with different actors in the same main Bond role different actors but same character. If they can pull it off it'll be amazing.

Reaction score
You get the feeling that they would LOVE to remake the OT to jive with all the prequels, spin-offs and sequels because so much of the OT just isn't compatible with their plans ie. an Obi-Wan set of movies sounds amazing but... in ANH:

BEN - Obi-Wan Kenobi... Obi-Wan? Now thats a name I haven't heard in a long time... a long time.

Yeah, you could make Obi-Wan movies around that but for marketing purposes you can't have an Obi-Wan movie without 'Obi-Wan' in it.

Reaction score
Or they'll make a special special edition that cuts the "Now thats a name I haven't heard in a long time... a long time." bit out and also throws some Rogue One, Han Solo, Kenobi prequel movie stuff in

Reaction score
ok... so I just thought of something and I'm not sure if it was already discussed in this thread or not but here goes:

just watched Return of the Jedi the other night (had a craving to see the Sail Barge attack and the final duel with Vader) and while watching it I had a thought pop into my head. In Empire Strikes Back when Luke leaves Dagobah to confront rescue his friends Obi Wan says.. "That boy is our last hope." to which Yoda replies... "No, there is another.". now flash forward to ROTJ and we learn that Luke and Leia are brother and sister and Luke reveals that Leia has the power of the Force just as Luke does in ROTJ. now jump forward to 2015 and Star Wars the Force Awakens brings back the characters of Luke and Leia.. yet Leia is not a Jedi in TFA, George was not directly involved in TFA since he sold the rights to Disney and Disney did not use his ideas. so are we now supposed to assume that "the Other" Yoda spoke of in ESB is now the character of Rey or Finn and not that of Leia.

also how is this now all going to play out for EP XIII and The Last Jedi?

I'm curious to hear your thought?

GNT

Reaction score
Star Wars the Force Awakens brings back the characters of Luke and Leia.. yet Leia is not a Jedi in TFA, George was not directly involved in TFA since he sold the rights to Disney and Disney did not use his ideas. so are we now supposed to assume that "the Other" Yoda spoke of in ESB is now the character of Rey or Finn and not that of Leia.
I'm pretty sure it's still a Leia reference and not Rey. Perhaps after ROTJ Luke decided to follow on being a Jedi and Leia took the rebellion approach since that's what she was used to doing. She might just keep any of her learnt skills on the down low and out of sight, I'm sure she would've taught Ben some Jedi skills before he joined Snoke.

Reaction score
ok... so I just thought of something and I'm not sure if it was already discussed in this thread or not but here goes:

just watched Return of the Jedi the other night (had a craving to see the Sail Barge attack and the final duel with Vader) and while watching it I had a thought pop into my head. In Empire Strikes Back when Luke leaves Dagobah to confront rescue his friends Obi Wan says.. "That boy is our last hope." to which Yoda replies... "No, there is another.". now flash forward to ROTJ and we learn that Luke and Leia are brother and sister and Luke reveals that Leia has the power of the Force just as Luke does in ROTJ. now jump forward to 2015 and Star Wars the Force Awakens brings back the characters of Luke and Leia.. yet Leia is not a Jedi in TFA, George was not directly involved in TFA since he sold the rights to Disney and Disney did not use his ideas. so are we now supposed to assume that "the Other" Yoda spoke of in ESB is now the character of Rey or Finn and not that of Leia.

also how is this now all going to play out for EP XIII and The Last Jedi?

I'm curious to hear your thought?
In TFA Leia is seen having some connection to the force as she knows when Han dies. We don't know how much training she has had, I suspect more than we have seen. But for what its worth, in the EU she only had powers as the story needed because she was older when she started her training.

Reaction score
In TFA Leia is seen having some connection to the force as she knows when Han dies. We don't know how much training she has had, I suspect more than we have seen. But for what its worth, in the EU she only had powers as the story needed because she was older when she started her training.

true but by the time EU became Legends.. Leia was already a full Jedi Knight (as in the Fate of the Jedi series). plus just like in TFA (where she feels Han's Death) she also in ESB felt Luke calling out to her. So yes she is in tune with the Force in the movies.

but here's the catch (and yes we can chalk some of it up to bad writing and the prequels screwing things up..... from a certain point of view) in ESB, Obi Wan Kenobi says "That boy is our last hope". I took that as meaning he had no clue that Yoda was referring to Leia. also Yoda does say in ROTJ "When gone am I the Last of the Jedi will you be." now flash forward to ROTJ and Ben is all of a sudden aware of Leia and the other "Skywalker"

also if you listen to the ROTJ Radio Drama... Obi Wan tells Luke "You were our New Hope... Our Only Hope" and that even though Leia is a Skywalker " your sister has had no training as a Jedi" to which Luke replies. "Yoda felt Leia was another hope for defeating the Emperor... maybe it has nothing to do with being a Jedi.. maybe Leia has some destiny beyond the Jedi way." it made it sound like even Luke didn't think Leia was going to be a Jedi.

if they is the case (and yes I know the difference between the OT, ST and Radio Drama), could it possibly be that Yoda or even Obi Wan was foreshadowing Rey in TFA instead of Leia rising up as the "New Hope" should Luke fall. I think my thinking is also based on TFA as Rey's Force vision/nightmare/dream sequence features the voice of Obi Wan.

Reaction score
Because they are offspring of Anakin, is why they are considered the last and only Hope. If it were a mere Jedi thing, anyone of the thousands before them could have handled it.
It would have been much better if only Yoda knew of both their lineage, but Ben/Obi-Wan only knew of Luke.

There are inconsistencies pure and simple, they cannot be fixed.

Reaction score
Hey, folks. I need your help with trying to look at these issues I have with The Force Awakens in a different way, because I don’t want to have these issues. (I hope my rambling, linguistic fumbling isn’t incomprehensible.) Here goes…

I have trouble with Leia, Han, and (kind of) Luke not going after Ben Solo. It seems as though Leia may have been too busy trying to save the galaxy and running the resistance to look for him, so I might be able to give her a soft pass. Too many people were depending on her, but he is her son, after all. I would think that, considering that her brother and husband (?) weren’t looking for him, that she would leave the resistance in the hands of Ackbar or someone else (at least temporarily) and go looking for Ben and try to save him.

Of the three of them, the only one who kind of makes sense to me is Luke. He might get a pass because I guess the mysticism of The Force wreaked havoc on his mind and emotions after having failed Ben and maybe they paralyzed him with grief in a way that he just couldn’t shake, but it still bothers me a little. Maybe there will be a solid explanation in The Last Jedi.
Han is the biggest disappointment to me by far, because he didn’t have a good reason to not look for his son or try to help him. Han wasn’t saving anyone, he wasn’t defending the galaxy, he was just being a smuggler. And that almost makes me not like Han anymore. I hate to think of Han Solo as a dead beat dad.

I wish the movie contained some kind of aside about the three of them trying to help Ben in the past, and that they realized he was beyond help…or something. Granted, I haven’t seen the movie since last December, so maybe I’m missing something.
If I have misunderstood any of this, please correct me! I welcome any perspective(s) that I haven’t thought of.

Reaction score
Han is the biggest disappointment to me by far, because he didn’t have a good reason to not look for his son or try to help him. Han wasn’t saving anyone, he wasn’t defending the galaxy, he was just being a smuggler. And that almost makes me not like Han anymore. I hate to think of Han Solo as a dead beat dad.
As I explained in the Han Solo movie thread, Han may have started out as someone who maintained some authority, but fell into hard times and had to make tough decision just to survive. But it seems he didn't get consumed by the turmoil that was happening in the galaxy. So when an opportunity present itself to fix the wrongs that are happening in the galaxy, he makes a conscious decision to take advantage of that opportunity because despite his self interests, he still maintains a sense of obligation and duty (in a way to the galaxy). His decision to confront his son could be seen as the ultimate sacrifice.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I think it goes without saying that several attempts were made. However, at some point a parent/teacher has to let go. I also suspect Ben either went into hiding or was to well protected to go after. Snoke wouldn't want any influence (other than his) on Ren.

Reaction score
this thought just bounced into my head and I literally have no idea of an answer so I figured I'd ask my fellow scummers....

in TFA we know that BB-8 is on Takadana with, Han, Chewie, Rey and Finn but they the Resistance shows up with Poe Dameron leading a squadron of X-Wings into battle against the First Order. so my question is about Poe's X-Wing. Was flying the X-Wing with a astromech droid in the technical socket of the X-Wing or did he have a generic droid provided by the Resistance to co-pilot the starfighter?

I'm just curious as I'd be interested to see what the droid looked like.