The Force Awakens - General Film Discussion Thread

Reaction score
After all of the mentions in ROTJ that Luke should/will train his sister, I would personally be disappointed if it turns out that Leia received no training whatsoever.
Yes, I always hated how in the old EU Leia was never trained until much later.

Reaction score
Well if Leia does use her force powers and uses a lightsaber, ILM can do what they did with Count Dooku and/or Yoda, and it would look convincing enough.
Boy, I hope not... Always hated the CGI Yoda/ Dooku fight. Way too cartoony...

I also hated how the prequel fights were these over-the-top, flipping around nonsense. Much prefer the OT saber duels.

Sallah

Reaction score
Well if Leia does use her force powers and uses a lightsaber, ILM can do what they did with Count Dooku and/or Yoda, and it would look convincing enough.
I can't speak for DarkArtist, but I didn't mean to imply I'd like to see Leia and her Force-sensitivity used in a lightsaber fight scene or anything like that. I'm not opposed to seeing Leia owning a lightsaber either, and at the very least I think there ought to be something indicative of her and her ability to use the Force in the new film.

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that Rey is going to fill the part of heroine, everybody making the movie has said its about passing the torch on to a new generation of characters. I'm not being sexist but seeing Leia as a Jedi too would ruin it a bit for me.
My guess is that Leia is a Mon Mothma type of character.
On that subject, I wonder if young boys will be interested in Playing with action figures of a female main protagonist(Rey)

Reaction score
I can't speak for DarkArtist, but I didn't mean to imply I'd like to see Leia and her Force-sensitivity used in a lightsaber fight scene or anything like that. I'm not opposed to seeing Leia owning a lightsaber either, and at the very least I think there ought to be something indicative of her and her ability to use the Force in the new film.
Or they can do what they did in the OT, and not have lightsaber duels consist of gymnastics and acrobatics.

Reaction score
On that subject, I wonder if young boys will be interested in Playing with action figures of a female main protagonist(Rey)
I'm interested to see how Hasbro handles that. I'm sure we'll see a Rey figure in the line, but I don't know how often she'll Show up in the 5 POA line since that line is geared towards Kids. It's Kind of funny because Hasbro doesn't like to release too many female figures because they think that Boys won't Play with them, yet this new film is basically going to force Hasbro to Focus on a female character.

Reaction score
IDK, not anymore than Leia. She had a pretty heavy appearance throughout the trilogy. And has been represented fairly decent in figure form. It's the "other females" that seem to get passed over.

Reaction score
IDK, not anymore than Leia. She had a pretty heavy appearance throughout the trilogy. And has been represented fairly decent in figure form. It's the "other females" that seem to get passed over.
IDK, I have a pretty large variety of Padme figures.
You are both right, but many of those Leia and Padme figures came out Long before we saw a split in the line like we have now (5 POA/TBS). I'm sure we'll see a Rey figure in the 5 POA line, but I don't know how many TFA Rey figures we'll see total in the 5 POA line because Hasbro sees female figures as slow sellers.

Reaction score
This is off-topic from the most recent discussion, but thought it was interesting enough to consider...

I sometimes check out StarWars7News to get my TFA 'fix' for the day. Came across this article (which I though was interesting). Mind you, this is not any type of rumor/insider information; it's purely the author's conjecture about the origins of the "First Order" in the upcoming trilogy (i.e. what it is, how it's organized, why Kylo Ren is involved with them, etc.).

What I found most interesting is the suggestion that, just maybe, we aren't going to see a simple "Good-vs-Evil, Jedi-vs-Sith" storyline; instead, Snoke and Kylo Ren may represent a supposed "third order" that is neither Jedi nor Sith. The author discusses some of the plot points that have been presented on various rumor sites (like MakingStarWars.com) and at the very least suggests some ideas that seem plausible and, from my perspective, would make a very interesting plot.

Check it out, if you're interested (or for S & G): Star Wars Episode 7 News | Speculation: Origins of the First Order

Reaction score
Hitek and MasterFett are both adult collectors who need padme and Leia as part of their collection. My question is can a female lead CARRY a line of action figures, among the you boys action demographic. According to hasbro they are the main consumers of Star Wars action figures, and they buy the male characters in vastly larger numbers than the female characters. So if the main character is a female...what will happen to the sales? Hunger Games was an extremely successful action film with a female lead. Were boys out in forces buying the female hunger games lead character action figure? I've seen the line(which was very limited in selection) on clearance.

Reaction score
Hitek and MasterFett are both adult collectors who need padme and Leia as part of their collection. My question is can a female lead CARRY a line of action figures, among the you boys action demographic. According to hasbro they are the main consumers of Star Wars action figures, and they buy the male characters in vastly larger numbers than the female characters. So if the main character is a female...what will happen to the sales? Hunger Games was an extremely successful action film with a female lead. Were boys out in forces buying the female hunger games lead character action figure? I've seen the line(which was very limited in selection) on clearance.
I think Rey's action figure doesn't look too girly. So I think boys will be ok with that. Plus she comes with a lightsaber.
As for Hunger Games... I don't think that movie crossed over as a successful action figure line. Star Wars will be huge.

Reaction score
My question is can a female lead CARRY a line of action figures, among the you boys action demographic. According to hasbro they are the main consumers of Star Wars action figures, and they buy the male characters in vastly larger numbers than the female characters. So if the main character is a female...what will happen to the sales?
I don't think Rey is the only main character; considering we don't really know all the details of the film, Kylo Ren and Finn could be the main characters, as compared to Rey.

GNT

Reaction score
I think Rey's action figure doesn't look too girly. So I think boys will be ok with that. Plus she comes with a lightsaber.

She has her bō on Jakku which is another weapon she could be released with :)

Reaction score
Has there been an official statement on who the central character will be? The early reports seem to suggest Boyega(Finn). I think it was even suggested that he would essentially be the new Luke. The article in variety seemed to suggest he would be a Jedi, so this whole time I figured he was our new lead.

Reaction score
The only official word has talked about the "trio of new leads." I think Rey has the main focus, but Finn and Poe will also be sharing the spotlight.

Reaction score
Hunger Games was an extremely successful action film with a female lead. Were boys out in forces buying the female hunger games lead character action figure? I've seen the line(which was very limited in selection) on clearance.
Problem was, she wasn't 4" scale! If she had been, I would have bought a couple for customs. Even the other characters. But sadly she was 7", not even in scale wit the 6" line...

Yeah, I'm sure the 100 or so people obsessed with her probably bought one. But It's not exactly like these figures were made from a long standing movie franchise.

GNT

Reaction score
Here's some pictures from the latest official clip, click to enlarge:

Reaction score
I still expect Driver's character to be the main focus, with maybe a stronger good guy lead entering from the next film.

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/CTNJ51ghzdY

In this Force Awakens Behind the Scenes footage, at the 2:23 mark.... who are those 2 armored figures running?? They don't look like Stormtroopers at all.
If someone could take a snapshot of it, it would be helpful too.

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/CTNJ51ghzdY

In this Force Awakens Behind the Scenes footage, at the 2:23 mark.... who are those 2 armored figures running?? They don't look like Stormtroopers at all.
If someone could take a snapshot of it, it would be helpful too.

I'm just doing a screen grab, so the pic sucks. Someone with video editing software could get a cleaner pic. But its definately new characters. Unless its Tie Pilots without helmets? The colors are black with red highlights...

Reaction score
Thanks. I initially thought they might be Tie Fighter pilots, but I don't think they are.

Reaction score
Noticed those too and assumed they were tie pilots as well. They could actually be a color variant pilots or some new trooper design.

Reaction score
By the look of the ship inside, certainly not first order or rebels, so most likely the pirates?

Reaction score
Yes my guess is pirates. Looks like the guys fighting the Stormtroopers in the rubble clips.

Reaction score
Anyone heard the rumor about the "sith artifacts collector" being mace windu? I think it's palapatine myself

Reaction score
Always pleasantly surprised when I get a Tomart's Action Figure Digest in the mail....having thought the whole magazine folded years ago, mid-subscription. This latest issue was all about ToyFair back in February. However, on every page that mentioned Star Wars - TFA - they wrote over and over again not to expect anything at SDCC, but expect major reveals at D23...the Disney Fan Expo in August - August 14-16 in Anaheim. https://d23.com/

Not sure who their source was but it was written very confidently and matter of factly.

Makes sense to do a reveal closer to the release date of the toys. Guess we'll see.

Reaction score
Always pleasantly surprised when I get a Tomart's Action Figure Digest in the mail....having thought the whole magazine folded years ago, mid-subscription. This latest issue was all about ToyFair back in February. However, on every page that mentioned Star Wars - TFA - they wrote over and over again not to expect anything at SDCC, but expect major reveals at D23...the Disney Fan Expo in August - August 14-16 in Anaheim. https://d23.com/

Not sure who their source was but it was written very confidently and matter of factly.

Makes sense to do a reveal closer to the release date of the toys. Guess we'll see.
all well and good but hasbro or Disney shoulda made this clear. But why would they, it's all about money

Reaction score
I guess now that we have seen the image of Princess Leia in the SDCC panel that we can safely assume that Luke's lightsaber from the second trailer is being handed to her. I'm guessing it's Rey returning the lightsaber to Leia.

I actually haven't heard the Mace rumor and I can't imagine that Mace would still be alive in TFA but I would love to see perhaps a return of Mace Windu in Rebels. I think that would be cool to see that he survived his fall from Palpatine's office.

Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Dead should stay that way.

Except Palpatine. He can come back. It's already been set up.

GNT

Reaction score
I guess now that we have seen the image of Princess Leia in the SDCC panel that we can safely assume that Luke's lightsaber from the second trailer is being handed to her. I'm guessing it's Rey returning the lightsaber to Leia.
It's Maz Kanata handing over the Lightsaber.