The Force Awakens - General Film Discussion Thread

Reaction score
I think Jar Jar should have found Leia after Endor and should be in the new movies as her adviser. :)

Reaction score
She would need someone familiar with the Old Republic...
That's what I'm saying. He could actually have a reason to be there. A senator in the old republic. Knew her mother. I think 50 years later he could be very toned down and actually serve a interesting story purpose.

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. He could actually have a reason to be there. A senator in the old republic. Knew her mother. I think 50 years later he could be very toned down and actually serve a interesting story purpose.
... said no one, ever.

Reaction score
I think you should be pit-roasted and finely chopped with a vinegar-based bbq sauce...
Ani! Look! Yousa not gonna believe it! Meesa all sparkly glowy! Now, weesa gonna have all the time to spend together! I love you, Ani! Yaaaahh! Ah-haahhh! Ani, yeeeeah!

Reaction score
Mark Hamill voice-over

If you watched the brand new teaser trailer for "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," you may have recognized a familiar voice. Mark Hamill narrates the opening of the trailer as his character Luke Skywalker.
"The Force is strong in my family," Skywalker says, "my father has it, I have it, my sister has it. You have that power, too." The voice-over caught some people off guard. Fans debated whether or not it was repurposed from "Return of the Jedi," or a brand new recording.
According to an interview with Hamill at "Star Wars Celebration," he rerecorded the famous dialogue from “Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi” a week before the trailer’s debut. However, not even he could figure out which version of his voice ended up in the final trailer.
It turns out it was a little bit of both.
"We used the original track and then we used what you recorded last week as reverb," Abrams told Hamill.
"There's a slight delay," Hamill explained. "So the delay is the new lines I recorded."

Read more: Mark Hamill voice-over

So now we know.

Reaction score
Please no JarJar!!!
I wonder why Luke was using present tense when talking about his father. If Anakin has The Force, does that mean he pops in every now & then as a Force Ghost?
Has anyone else heard that the Sith is really an inquisitor? If so, where did you hear it from? One person on FB said he was inquisitor but, he didn't cite his source.

Reaction score
Please no JarJar!!!
Has anyone else heard that the Sith is really an inquisitor? If so, where did you hear it from? One person on FB said he was inquisitor but, he didn't cite his source.
Youssa not gonna believe it, but Kylo Ren is actually Sith Lord Jar Jar Binks in disguise!!!

Reaction score
The one thing I never understood in the PT was why, knowing how stupid he is, did Padme make Jar Jar a senator?

Reaction score
Knowing what we know about palpatine, he had his reasons. And to him, it was not a stupid choice. In Padme's absence, Jar Jar would cast the vote he needed for the creation of the Clone Army. Since he knew Padme wouldn't vote for it.

GNT

Reaction score
The one thing I never understood in the PT was why, knowing how stupid he is, did Padme make Jar Jar a senator?
George Lucas made Jar Jar a senator so that he'd play a part in the downfall of the republic and so that he'd be the cause of Palpatine taking over and becoming the Emperor.

Reaction score
George Lucas made Jar Jar a senator so that he'd play a part in the downfall of the republic and so that he'd be the cause of Palpatine taking over and becoming the Emperor.
Exactly. He was easy to manipulate.

Reaction score
George Lucas made Jar Jar a senator so that ......
......he wouldn't have to admit that the original idea of making him the PT's loveable main good guy alien character (think Chewbacca in OT) was a colossal failure. He could leave him in the movies, having a minimal but acknowledged presence, but more importantly without loss of face to himself. That is all.

Cynical, moi?

Reaction score
Oh, what am I thinking?! Silly, silly me.

Forgot that it was all planned out in great detail in the 1970's for a moment there! :awesome:

Reaction score
I found the Prequals and TCW to be pretty forgettable, so it might have been explained but I assume Boss Nass made Jar Jar a senator to get him off planet and as far away from him as possible.

Reaction score

Forgot that it was all planned out in great detail in the 1970's for a moment there! :awesome:
Yep, it's always been one, complete story told over the course of six movies from the very beginning… except when it was 12 movies… or that other time when it was supposed to be 9 movies. ;)

Reaction score
......he wouldn't have to admit that the original idea of making him the PT's loveable main good guy alien character (think Chewbacca in OT) was a colossal failure. He could leave him in the movies, having a minimal but acknowledged presence, but more importantly without loss of face to himself. That is all.

Cynical, moi?
My wife and I re-watched TPM last night on a whim. I made a joke about watching The Phantom Edit but I haven't downloaded it so obviously we watched the BluRay version. That said, having not watched it in maybe 15 years, I was struck at how little you have to cut to make it an "ok" movie: 2-3 Jar Jar funny bits, the 4 seconds where the midiclorians are explained, and maybe 1 or 2 other lines. The CG sticks out as bad in places, but it was 1999, so... I also noticed (after seeing the discussion here) a TON more practical effects (rather than CGI). Its certainly not a great movie, but its not as bad as I remembered.

The one thing that I was impressed with that I've never noticed before was how much Keira Knightly and Natalie Portman switch back and forth. Its something I had never noticed before, but every time it makes sense to have the decoy in, Keira's there, they deliberately attempt to sound like each other, etc. I guess I assumed they'd just put Keira in only in the 2 places its obvious to have Portman there in the background, but it actually does make sense, plot-wise.

Anywho, sorry to derail the thread. We'll probly re-watch the other two prequels soon. I remember them getting better with each one, we'll see...

Reaction score

Probably was one of those LSD moments... :grin:

To be honest, I'm really not sure what happened between the PT and OT. Maybe GL simply felt it was meant for the smallest of children, though one would wonder why he put such complex issues into the movie?
Or we simply don't have the connection we did with the OT. Even still, I can't imagine seeing this as a kid. And understanding it. I think most kids will be able to grasp the inaccuracies of the two, anyone above age 6-7 at least. I know I was fairly observant as a child.

Reaction score
Yep, it's always been one, complete story told over the course of six movies from the very beginning… except when it was 12 movies… or that other time when it was supposed to be 9 movies. ;)
in his recent interview with Star Wars.com Mark Hamill states that Lucas approached him with the idea of reprising the role as an older jedi 2011.

I don't ever recall reading about any detailed plans but only rough sketches of a story. Nothing wrong with that at all. Though there are cotradications about how many chapters there were to it.

Reaction score
in his recent interview with Star Wars.com Mark Hamill states that Lucas approached him with the idea of reprising the role as an older jedi 2011.

I don't ever recall reading about any detailed plans but only rough sketches of a story. Nothing wrong with that at all. Though there are cotradications about how many chapters there were to it.
Yeah, at this point its moot. But I am curious to see what happens after eps 9. Will Disney do a KOTOR series? A Kenobi on Tattoine series? What's next?

GNT

Reaction score
Disney can do whatever they want now from whatever time period they see fit, especially now that they're doing anthology films anything is possible.

Reaction score
I was re-reading the Making of Empire Strikes Back and noticed that Mark and Carrie had signed on NOT only for the the first three films, but a fourth film as well... way back when. I wonder if that wasn't why Lucas met with them first.

Reaction score
so I have a theory... not a very good one but I think it might be interesting if they pulled it off.

so in the second trailer we have the famous Luke dialogue in the beginning of the trailer and we see what looks like 2 female hands passing Luke/Anakin's lightsaber. what if the awakening is Leia coming into her Jedi Powers ????

follow me on this one cause I'm also pulling stuff from the Expanded Universe (which I know is now considered to be "Legends" and not "Canon" which is still a sore spot with me). In the OT we only see Leia use the Force possibly once... in ESB when she hears Luke calling for her at Cloud City. Now I doubt that Luke was giving turn by turn directions to Leia while he was hanging upside down from the weathervane (Leia turn left at the bar, straight for 3 miles and then under the 3 weathervane on the left I'll be waiting) so it's quite possible that Leia tapped into her unknown Jedi powers to help Chewbacca and Lando find Luke. now the major loop hole in this theory is that Lando is the one that spots Luke while Leia is looking all over place for him. But the thought that Leia was able to hear Luke through the Force and guide the Falcon to where he was hanging is quite possible.

In ROTJ we learn from Obi Wan that Leia is indeed the twin sister of Luke and Luke tells her that she too has the power of the Force, however we never see Leia use the Force again or ever wield a lightsaber (except for in the Expanded Universe)

now for the EU references.... Leia first uses Luke's lightsaber in the book Shadows of the Empire and actually duels Darth Vader helping Luke defeat the Dark Lord of the Sith. Not an easy task especially for an untrained Jedi and a princess with no knowledge of her Jedi heritage.

in the comic book Star Wars infinities Princess Leia is captured by Darth Vader after the failed attempt to destroy the Death Star at the Battle of Yavin and Vader presents her with Obi Wan Kenobi's lightsaber in which she is trained in the dark side of the Force by Vader. she evens battles Luke aboard the Death Star.

in the comic book Empire Strikes back infinities, Luke Skywalker doesn't survive the Wampa attack tells Han to go to Dagobah. Upon arrival at Dagobah Yoda says something along the lines of "Not the Skywalker I was expecting" referring to once again Leia and thus begins her training in the ways of the Force. She then battles Darth Vader and defeats him on Dagobah

in Return of the Jedi infinities, Luke is held prisoner aboard the Death Star and with the help of Leia they are able to convert Anakin Skywalker back to the light side of the Force and defeat the Emperor.

In the comic series Dark Empire, Leia is already mentioned as a full Jedi Knight and wields the lightsaber of a fallen Jedi Vima Da Boda and uses her Jedi powers to save Luke who falls to the darkside of the Force.

in the expanded universe series of books that follow the events of ROTJ Leia gives birth to 3 powerful Force children, trains under Master Saba Sebatyne and uses the Force throughout the series.

all these years George Lucas has stated that the Star Wars story revolved around the Skywalkers. The Prequels focused on the rise and eventually fall of Anakin Skywalker while the OT focused on the rise of Luke Skywalker and the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. What if JJ Abrams and Disney is using Lucas's Skywalker story/universe to finally give us Leia as a new powerful Jedi Knight (thus the awakening)

again this is just a theory I have.

Reaction score
Not to discount anything you said. But twins in their own right, have certain connection to one another. W/O even needing to utilize a force connection. She could have just unknowingly sensed him due to that, and she was able to determine where he was.
So that alone, wouldn't be enough to go on. Concerning Leia's laten Jedi powers.

Reaction score
Twins are often rumored to have connections or even crazy similarities despite being raised apart, but that's usually identical twins, and in any case it never really amounts to "GPS location sense" without the Force. Leia is handed the saber by (presumably) Maz Kanata in the teaser, but it's not about her awakening... Abrams & Co have apparently decided to skip Leia being much of a Force-user, as the EU tried to do repeatedly (as DarkArtist noted, she was described as a full Jedi Knight in Dark Empire, but in books taking place later she would often be said to have not completed her training, have not had much success with training etc, always putting it off or taking one step forward, and then three steps back between books, due to her political role, parenthood, etc. It wasn't until decades after ROTJ that she finally, officially, no-take-backsies, became a Jedi Knight in the books.

Anyhoo. So a new interview & photo from the Vanity Fair shoot was revealed today, showing Andy Serkis in mo-cap dots (on his face, mostly) and revealing his character's name: Supreme Leader Snoke.

Reaction score
so I have a theory... not a very good one but I think it might be interesting if they pulled it off.

so in the second trailer we have the famous Luke dialogue in the beginning of the trailer and we see what looks like 2 female hands passing Luke/Anakin's lightsaber. what if the awakening is Leia coming into her Jedi Powers ????

...all these years George Lucas has stated that the Star Wars story revolved around the Skywalkers. The Prequels focused on the rise and eventually fall of Anakin Skywalker while the OT focused on the rise of Luke Skywalker and the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. What if JJ Abrams and Disney is using Lucas's Skywalker story/universe to finally give us Leia as a new powerful Jedi Knight (thus the awakening)

again this is just a theory I have.
I've been contemplating this myself ever since the announcement of the film and subsequent titling of it, first trailer, etc...I admit that it is one of the few things I'm *really* hoping to see in the new film. Ever since I first saw the OT as a kid I've always wondered if we would ever see Leia make us of her Force-potential in some way.

We've always known due to the OT that Leia is also Force-sensitive. Luke reached out to her on Cloud City, Yoda told Obi-Wan that there was 'another hope' should Luke fail against Vader, etc.

Granted Leia is more a political figure with the Rebellion/Resistance, but I find it hard to believe we won't see SOME kind of depiction of Leia and her Force-sensitivity in this film. It also seems entirely possible that one of the major 'spoilers' that Abrams & Co. have been trying to keep under wraps is something of this nature - its interesting that thus far we haven't heard a whole lot of rumors regarding Leia save for the flashbacks (plus the lightsaber-hand off in the second trailer).

Reaction score
Well if Leia does use her force powers and uses a lightsaber, ILM can do what they did with Count Dooku and/or Yoda, and it would look convincing enough.

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that Rey is going to fill the part of heroine, everybody making the movie has said its about passing the torch on to a new generation of characters. I'm not being sexist but seeing Leia as a Jedi too would ruin it a bit for me.
My guess is that Leia is a Mon Mothma type of character.

Reaction score
After all of the mentions in ROTJ that Luke should/will train his sister, I would personally be disappointed if it turns out that Leia received no training whatsoever.