The Emperor - Rumor 2012/13

Idpullthecurtain said:
GNT said:
Hasbro has yet to nail an Emperor figure, sadly the ROTS versions they pump out do not represent the ROTJ version we all love.

Isn't amazing that a POTF figure still beats out everything Hasbro has put out over the last 10 or so years. Maybe Hasbro should use it as a base.

The ESB Legacy one is amazing.

Are you talking about the "Monkey" eyes one?
confused.gif
ooo.gif
 
Spookymufu said:
Idpullthecurtain said:
The ESB Legacy one is amazing.

you gotta quit smoking whatever it is you're smoking


I don't think the head sculpt is bad, but the robes are awful. General Lando's cape appears to be made of a thicker material, and hopefully the Emperor's robes are of a thicker variety.

I also hope, as mentioned above, his light saber is NOT included. Where as it'd be a cool nod to the early drafts of Jedi, I want no inkling of ROTS for a ROTJ Palps.

I also doubt a throne would be included. That's why a new DSII throne room duel cinema scene or battle pack is in order.
grin.gif
 
This would be a great opportunity for Hasbro to release a mail away exclusive "Emperors Throne" offer. Why not? I want an Emperor on Vintage card and also want the throne, but with no battle pack plans that we know of, a mail away would be great.
 
Throne! Throne! Throne!!!!!

...so long as it isn't the tiny throne from PotF2. A mailaway Emperor with Throne would be perfect. Come on Hasbro...!

EDIT: and as noted previously, give him swappable lower body (sitting / regular legs) just like Slave Leia. It took them FOREVER to get DS2 Luke right, now if they can just do it right for Emperor and Bespin Han, I'd consider the TVC line to be a success.
 
The problem is they keep wanting to use the new PT Palpatine likeness for the ROTJ Emperor!

If they're going to do the Emperor make him look like he did in Episode VI!

Oh and an updated Throne that swivels is a must!
 
I really just want something similar to the Legacy monkey eye version. I'd just like a plastic hood that has a similar shape to the POTF2 versions that fits as well as the monkey eye hood and vintage Sidious.

Secondly, I like the way the vintage Sidious's lightning is a decent size and fits in a way that is doesn't look too much like it's being held. It beats peg holes, clips, or swappable hands, so let's see it again.

Monkey Eye's cloak is almost decent, so some alterations in size and perhaps fabric could work. I wonder if they use this stuff for him and Vader because it holds darker blacks than others?

Finally, I'd prefer he didn't have a retconned Ep3 inspired headsculpt with the more exaggerated makeup. I'd like the expression a little more subdued than the Evolutions version, which looks nice, but it veers towards Unleashed territory a bit much for me. It sure does look cool in that pic up there with the hood positioned nicely though.
 
Spookymufu said:
Idpullthecurtain said:
The ESB Legacy one is amazing.

you gotta quit smoking whatever it is you're smoking

Best thing I've read all day hhahaha sorry but that version of the emperor is plain aweful. Never liked it and never will. It's not even close to what the ROTJ Emperor looked like.
 
Spookymufu said:
Idpullthecurtain said:
The ESB Legacy one is amazing.

you gotta quit smoking whatever it is you're smoking

Ok man, what is wrong with it? Can you suggest anything at all?

I accept the robe is too long, but thats very easy corrected. SO beyond that, what is wrong with? It looked terrible in its initial pics, but the production version is awesome.
 
A lot of collectors are fickle, I dont think there is much wrong with the figure either. It was designed with longterm collectors in mind as well, they combined the likeness of the original theatrical Emperor with the DVD special edition Emperor to give us a pretty interesting figure. If you watch the original ESB, you'll see the eyes and hood come from that movie with the headsculpt based on Ian Mcdiarmid, the actor in ROTJ - but it is not supposed to be a ROTJ Emperor figure. I have no doubt we'll get a new ROTJ Emperor with a likeness straight from the film eventually. Continue to like what you want, its best not to let other peoples opinions influence yours.
wink.gif
 
However that is just it – the TLC figure is not an accurate ROTJ Emperor... as you say it’s a meld between the ESB and ROTJ Palpatine’s. That’s fine since that was that figure’s purpose however it does not suffice as a ROTJ Palpatine and as such there needs to be a new one released. I don’t think people necessarily mean the figure is terrible in itself, but rather that it is terrible as a ROTJ figure.
 
IndianaKenobi said:
However that is just it – the TLC figure is not an accurate ROTJ Emperor... as you say it’s a meld between the ESB and ROTJ Palpatine’s. That’s fine since that was that figure’s purpose however it does not suffice as a ROTJ Palpatine and as such there needs to be a new one released. I don’t think people necessarily mean the figure is terrible in itself, but rather that it is terrible as a ROTJ figure.

Are you just talking about the head?
And if so its really not a big deal.

Just a new head and bingo the perfect Emperor?
 
Idpullthecurtain said:
Ok man, what is wrong with it? Can you suggest anything at all?

I accept the robe is too long, but thats very easy corrected. SO beyond that, what is wrong with? It looked terrible in its initial pics, but the production version is awesome.

the version I posted earlier beats the tar out of that one



what we need is an Emperor that has this look with the appropriate robes that looks RIGHT.

a7k69haj.jpg
 
Idpullthecurtain said:
so you still havent given an example of what is wrong with it.

And the robes are never gonna look like that!

the plastic hood looks crap, the face is all screwed up, it's just a horrible figure. And again, if you look at the picture of my emperor I am displaying (in the pic above^^^) you'll see that the robes can be made to look very good. I had to put a Darth Maul robe on this TFU emperor to get that look tho....But I want a more neutral facial expression then my TFU emperor.
 
^EXACTLY!!

Oh jeez.. the hood on that TLC Emperor is SHOCKING. It looks like a black garbage bag that was filled with helium. The head's average too.

The Order 66 Palpy with Commander Vill was THE best Palpatine to date. Great angry face, nice grey skin, & the robes are fine.. you just need to work with them - as I've done with my custom that you've seen.

Great pic btw Spooky!!
 
VintijDroidGutzz said:
The Order 66 Palpy with Commander Vill was THE best Palpatine to date

Great pic btw Spooky!!

agreed, I like it much better then any other but he doesnt fit in the current throne very well
frown.gif


Thanks, everything except the figures are all created in photoshop, I'm really proud of that window....
 
Um... The TLC Emperor is a GREAT representation of what the Emperor looked like before the special editions of ESB. It's pretty dead-on actually, with it's weird eyes and all. The hood on the figure looks just like it did in the holo transmission. Don't blame Hasbro for that one. Blame the costume designers of ESB. The cloak being too long is THE ONLY thing wrong with this figure.

That being said, the figure is an oddity (like the non-ghost old Anakin) because we only saw this version of the Emperor as a floating holograph head.

Still, it's no substitute for a ROTJ version. But it captures the look of the old ESB emperor perfectly!
 
Hasbro lately has never made the right Emperor Palpatine figure. They keep making a Revenge of the Sith style Palpatine and they fail all the time.

Like I said. The old Kenner Palpatine figure that I still have is still the best along with the Power of the Force 2 Emperor. None of that sith force lightning accessory crap
 
Spookymufu said:
Idpullthecurtain said:
so you still havent given an example of what is wrong with it.

And the robes are never gonna look like that!

the plastic hood looks crap, the face is all screwed up, it's just a horrible figure. And again, if you look at the picture of my emperor I am displaying (in the pic above^^^) you'll see that the robes can be made to look very good. I had to put a Darth Maul robe on this TFU emperor to get that look tho....But I want a more neutral facial expression then my TFU emperor.

SO as we have established about 20 posts ago, YES the robe and the head arent great. But beyond that is perfect.
If you read where this TLC stuff came from, it came from someone saying the POTF2 one should be used as a base for new figures. What I said was no TLC should be. And that its awesome.
Of course its well established that the head and robe could be improved.


So you can offer nothing bad about it beyond that? Apart from the hood (which I kindof like).
 
VintijDroidGutzz said:
^EXACTLY!!

Oh jeez.. the hood on that TLC Emperor is SHOCKING. It looks like a black garbage bag that was filled with helium. The head's average too.

The Order 66 Palpy with Commander Vill was THE best Palpatine to date. Great angry face, nice grey skin, & the robes are fine.. you just need to work with them - as I've done with my custom that you've seen.

Great pic btw Spooky!!

confused.gif

sigh
mate. the Order 66 IS the Legacy figure. They are the same of course!
We have accepted that TLC head is a problem.
TLC figure is raised in this post as a base for future figures! Yes yes yes the head isnt perfect! We got that.
I am talking about the figure in more general terms.
 
Idpullthecurtain said:
Spookymufu said:
Idpullthecurtain said:
so you still havent given an example of what is wrong with it.

And the robes are never gonna look like that!

the plastic hood looks crap, the face is all screwed up, it's just a horrible figure. And again, if you look at the picture of my emperor I am displaying (in the pic above^^^) you'll see that the robes can be made to look very good. I had to put a Darth Maul robe on this TFU emperor to get that look tho....But I want a more neutral facial expression then my TFU emperor.

SO as we have established about 20 posts ago, YES the robe and the head arent great. But beyond that is perfect.
If you read where this TLC stuff came from, it came from someone saying the POTF2 one should be used as a base for new figures. What I said was no TLC should be. And that its awesome.
Of course its well established that the head and robe could be improved.


So you can offer nothing bad about it beyond that? Apart from the hood (which I kindof like).

I dont understand why you want to argue about this, you asked me what i didnt like and I told you, it looks nothing like the ROTJ emperor which is what I want the emperor figure to look like, I dont care if Hasbro was trying to recreate the holo version, it still looks like crap, so did the holo in the movie, so I guess from that stand point, they nailed that hideous image. I didnt know you wanted me to come up with something new to hate about that figure, I thought all the other things people pointed out was sufficient. It's an ugly figure, it looks nothing like the ROTJ emperor and thats what I want in MY figure, to reflect the ROTJ image.
If you like that hideous figure then more power to ya, I think it sucks
 
TLC Emperor aside, a ROTJ Emperor needs to be all new. That way, we will have suitable figures for both the pre SE ESB Palps and ROTJ Palps.
 
Idpullthecurtain said:
VintijDroidGutzz said:
^EXACTLY!!

Oh jeez.. the hood on that TLC Emperor is SHOCKING. It looks like a black garbage bag that was filled with helium. The head's average too.

The Order 66 Palpy with Commander Vill was THE best Palpatine to date. Great angry face, nice grey skin, & the robes are fine.. you just need to work with them - as I've done with my custom that you've seen.

Great pic btw Spooky!!

confused.gif

sigh
mate. the Order 66 IS the Legacy figure. They are the same of course!
We have accepted that TLC head is a problem.
TLC figure is raised in this post as a base for future figures! Yes yes yes the head isnt perfect! We got that.
I am talking about the figure in more general terms.
amazing how the head, hood, and robe can really screw up a figure isnt it? so yeah, remove those items and the figure is really nice, oh and the skin paint color, take that out too...
 
Idpullthecurtain said:
VintijDroidGutzz said:
^EXACTLY!!

Oh jeez.. the hood on that TLC Emperor is SHOCKING. It looks like a black garbage bag that was filled with helium. The head's average too.

The Order 66 Palpy with Commander Vill was THE best Palpatine to date. Great angry face, nice grey skin, & the robes are fine.. you just need to work with them - as I've done with my custom that you've seen.

Great pic btw Spooky!!

confused.gif

sigh
mate. the Order 66 IS the Legacy figure. They are the same of course!
We have accepted that TLC head is a problem.
TLC figure is raised in this post as a base for future figures! Yes yes yes the head isnt perfect! We got that.
I am talking about the figure in more general terms.
I'm just saying.. the Order 66 figure sans robe doesn't need tweaking IMO. The head's great, & both the hands & head are a great colour off the bat, so THAT should be the base figure as far as I'm concerned, since the robe seems to be the biggest issue really.
 
Will Hasbro ever get the emperor right? I hope so, but I'm keeping my expectations low if this one comes out. They really have trouble with almost any Palpatine figure.
 
I know that I like the ESB Emperor the best simply because it's the only one that doesn't look constipated...
 
That figure is the best so far. We just need an ROTJ one with: neutral face that looks like Ian McDiarmid. A sculpted hood that looks good. And most importantly, a smaller, less billowy robe with darker and a hair thicker fabric.
 
I just don't get the love for the TLC Emperor. It's supposed to represent the "monkey eyes" Emperor from ESB (pre-DVD) right? Or at least it was at one point, but they didn't even get that right because they changed the head somewhere along the way in the production process. I was all for a "monkey eyes" Emperor but that's not what we wound up with.

The hood is pretty accurate for the "monkey eyes" version, but that's the only time we see him with a hood like that. The head sculpt is kind of weird, it's like he doesn't have eyes or something. And then there is the greenish highlights on the skin...what's up with that?

Anyway I hope for an all new figure here. Well, they can use whatever body under SG robes but an all new head is definitely in order. The hood can be plastic as long as it is the right shape. They did a fairly good job of that on the Senate Duel Palpatine.

If they can pull off a nice looking SG hood as well, that would just be gravy. An SG hood can be made to look good as Spooky has proven. I did something similar:

IMG_34443.JPG
 
No offense, but your custom isnt better than the legacy Emperor. I dont get why people are arguing either, who cares if one guy hates the figure and rambles on constantly about it? This thread is here because we're likely to get a new ROTJ version within the next few years, which is great because the legacy figure is from ESB!

The hoods on the cloak for the evo, order 66, and battlepack Emperors all looked rather stupid:

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/ROTS/swevol_SITHempwalk.jpg

...so I hope they use plastic like with the legacy figure, or make a nice softgoods hood, like on the upcoming Barriss figure that can be arranged to look like his appearance in ROTJ.
 
No offense taken. I posted it just to illustrate that a softgoods hood can work. I would actually prefer a plastic hood too.

Don't get me wrong, just saying I want an all new Emperor...ROTJ style. If people are happy with the TLC Emperor and feel that it is satisfactory, good for them. I'm not happy with any of the Emperors released in the modern line, with the exception of the Episode I Sidious but then, that's not really the same thing.
 
padmesghost said:
The hoods on the cloak for the evo, order 66, and battlepack Emperors all looked rather stupid

Agree, thats why I swapped it with TLC Darth Maul's, it was WAY better and with a little hairspray to hold it's shape (when shaped correctly) it looks really good...
 
Back
Top