The Emperor - Rumor 2012/13

GNT

Moderator
Joined
May 18, 2000
Messages
71,984
Reaction score
2,110
Location
Australia
Emperor Palpatine is rumoured per Stans report in the forum as well as the front page.

If he does end up being released do you think Hasbro can finally make a decent Emperor figure?
 
Re: The Emperor

Here's hoping - the POTF2 one is still my favourite ROTJ Palps to this day, so hopefully they'll get the head/hood right.
 
Re: The Emperor

GNT said:
If he does end up being released do you think Hasbro can finally make a decent Emperor figure?

They pretty much have. It's just about the correct head sculpt at this point. The main body is quite good. The only thing they might consider is smaller arms. The hood from the ESB Emperor along with that cloak would be fine. The actual ESB headsculpt had a great neutral expression. Just make a new one as good as that one that resembles the ROTJ look.

Finally, for the love of all that is holy: Do not have a cloth hood. We all have enough pointy hood emperors in our collection. Sculpted hood works best.
 
Re: The Emperor

I have zero faith that they'll ever do ROTJ Emperor justice as long as they persist with softgoods. It just looks all kinds of wrong. But if they must I would at least like them to sculpt the hood, get it the right size and not put wierd wavy folds in it. And they should use the same type of softgoods that was used on the 2005 ROTS Agen Kolar. Do that or quite frankly GTFO.
 
Re: The Emperor

Devo said:
I have zero faith that they'll ever do ROTJ Emperor justice as long as they persist with softgoods. It just looks all kinds of wrong. But if they must I would at least like them to sculpt the hood, get it the right size and not put wierd wavy folds in it. And they should use the same type of softgoods that was used on the 2005 ROTS Agen Kolar. Do that or quite frankly GTFO.

Somewhat agreed, soft goods hoods generally look bad, and this is especially problematic here since Palps wears a hood the entire time (unlike say Obi-Wan who looks fine without his hood).

To me, Hasbro has yet to produce a decent Emperor since POTF2, so I'm hoping for a 100% new sculpt on this one. I'll take soft goods if they can be executed properly; I still need him to sit!
 
Re: The Emperor

I'm tired of Palpatine / Sidious figures with the huge softgoods robes, I'd like to see a nicely done Emperor figure completely in plastic.
 
Re: The Emperor

darth_sidious said:
I'm tired of Palpatine / Sidious figures with the huge softgoods robes, I'd like to see a nicely done Emperor figure completely in plastic.

Then dig up the POTF2 figure because Hasbro won't be moving away from soft goods on characters like this.
 
Re: The Emperor

Memnoch21 said:
They already have the perfect sculpted hood. Take a look at the ROTS Emperor figure.
That one is very good, the only issue is how well it sits on a figure's head & shoulders... but it's definitely the way to go. Soft-goods hoods are terrible.
 
Re: The Emperor

When I still did ROTJ figures, I used the ep 1 Sidious as my Emperor. Best version.
 
Re: The Emperor

matt292 said:
Here's hoping - the POTF2 one is still my favourite ROTJ Palps to this day, so hopefully they'll get the head/hood right.
Heck yeah. POTF2 is the one that still looks most like the Emperor did on screen, even though it's a salt shaker it's got a great sculpt and personality.
 
Re: The Emperor

Memnoch21 said:
darth_sidious said:
I'm tired of Palpatine / Sidious figures with the huge softgoods robes, I'd like to see a nicely done Emperor figure completely in plastic.

Then dig up the POTF2 figure because Hasbro won't be moving away from soft goods on characters like this.

Unfortunately this is probably true. Hence my belief that POTF2 is and shall remain the best Emperor we have. A pity because a new all-sculpted figure could improve upon it. Its just never going to happen with Hasbro's current ethic of SA on every single core character.


But again I reiterate 2005 Agen Kolar softgoods if you must Hasbro. Yeah like that'll happen.
 
Re: The Emperor

Maybe they'll give him the Leia slave treatment. Two separate lower half's, one sitting on standing. That would be ideal and eliminate the need for soft goods.
 
Re: The Emperor

DSIILuke said:
Maybe they'll give him the Leia slave treatment. Two separate lower half's, one sitting on standing. That would be ideal and eliminate the need for soft goods.
YES. Sitting and standing lower halves to sit on an included throne, throw in the spiderweb window background and maybe one of those circular consoles that were hanging around and you've got a perfect deluxe set. Course Hasbro's gotten all stingy so rather then a deluxe set (BRING THEM BACK) it will likely be in an overpriced battle pack with a Luke and Vader I already have.
 
Re: The Emperor

Hasbro should really re-think their battle pack line, or at least go about it like the basic line and the legends line.

In one aspect, crank out those repacks in kid marketed battle packs. Load up as many POTF2 Commtech Han's and Luke's as you can. Make your money back.

On the other hand, release mini scenes/environments to compliment figures in the main line. Take, for example, Emperor Palpatine. Let's say they release the Emperor ala slave Leia, two lower halfs.

Release a Throne Room environment, with the Emperor's throne, the big window and maybe a Royal Guard. That way, your figures have a set to go with.

I know this is off topic, however my main thought on the battle packs has always been quality/creativeness over quantity. I'm not saying to short pack the battle packs (Res.OTJ anyone?) but think them out, and coordinate them with your basic line. Just think, we would have had at least one or two packs to go along with the cantina patrons released since 2007. We got the great chair/tables with the ANH wave 4 TAC figures (the E.Helrot wave), and we could have gotten an environment sets to boot.


Hey, just my 2 cents. I've really wanted a good ROTJ Emperor; POTF2 has held up fairly well (in terms of sculpt), but I don't see the big H packing the throne in there with him. Probably just his cane.
 
Re: The Emperor

DSIILuke said:
On the other hand, release mini scenes/environments to compliment figures in the main line. Take, for example, Emperor Palpatine. Let's say they release the Emperor ala slave Leia, two lower halfs.

Release a Throne Room environment, with the Emperor's throne, the big window and maybe a Royal Guard. That way, your figures have a set to go with.

I know this is off topic, however my main thought on the battle packs has always been quality/creativeness over quantity. I'm not saying to short pack the battle packs (Res.OTJ anyone?) but think them out, and coordinate them with your basic line. Just think, we would have had at least one or two packs to go along with the cantina patrons released since 2007. We got the great chair/tables with the ANH wave 4 TAC figures (the E.Helrot wave), and we could have gotten an environment sets to boot.


Hey, just my 2 cents. I've really wanted a good ROTJ Emperor; POTF2 has held up fairly well (in terms of sculpt), but I don't see the big H packing the throne in there with him. Probably just his cane.

Maybe this should be a new thread, but I would love to see this happen. The Lars set did sour me a bit on playsets, but if they tested out smaller, more concentrated scenes maybe something good could come out of it.
 
Re: The Emperor

GNT said:
..do you think Hasbro can finally make a decent Emperor figure?

He's already under our noses!

p21.JPG
 
Re: The Emperor

VintijDroidGutzz said:
GNT said:
..do you think Hasbro can finally make a decent Emperor figure?

He's already under our noses!

p21.JPG


If the soft goods could be of a thicker material and hang in that fashion, I'd be all for it. I always liked that head sculpt, too. I'd like the remorseful facial feature...


'..I'm afraid they'll be fully operational when your friends arrive'

and that sinister grin. Yea, some of that...
 
Re: The Emperor

VintijDroidGutzz said:
GNT said:
..do you think Hasbro can finally make a decent Emperor figure?

He's already under our noses!

Huh. Not bad. Which Emperor is that? The robe and paint job look different from the Evo version.
 
Re: The Emperor

This will be one of those "greatest hits"-style figures I expect. Maybe the Evo body with a sculpted ROTJ head instead of the ESB version on the last single-carded release.

I don't like cloaks that you can see through, which is why I have not kept any of the SG Vaders I have acquired over the years. Same applies here - I vote in the POTF2 camp for OT and the Ep1 camp for PT (he looks great holding a lightsaber).
 
Re: The Emperor

Yes! Please get this one right Hasbro! As others have said, the POTF2 is still the best version, so we're due...
 
Re: The Emperor

Ackbars_No1_Fan said:
Yes! Please get this one right Hasbro! As others have said, the POTF2 is still the best version, so we're due...
What he said!
grin.gif
 
Re: The Emperor

Hallmarks Ornaments 2008:
palpatine_bg.jpg

I think this is the best Emperor to the date but it is a statue it isn't an action figure, I think everyone wants a figure that looks like this, can sit like this and SA like this one:

TLC-2539.jpg


Accesories:
- Throne
- Cane
- No Lightsaber
- Normal Hands
- Force Lightning Hands
- Soft Goods Cloak (that when the figure it's sitting look like the figure above)

That's what I think everyone wants for "The Emperor" action figure 3 3/4 scale.
 
Re: The Emperor

Made this Photoshopped custom back in 2005.

Emperor-Palpatine-set.jpg
Emperor-Palpatine-skirtless.jpg


Too bad they didn't make a ROTJ Emperor Palpatine during the run of the TAC line. I'm sure they would have included his throne back then. At least we are getting him on a vintage card.
Hopefully they'll manage to release his throne with a nice Throne Room window by 2013 in celebration of ROTJ's 30th Anniversary.
 
Re: The Emperor

Well I did like the ESB one, so if they can kit bash something using that and some of the other cool emperor's you guys have mentioned I will be a happy camper.
 
Re: The Emperor

Meh...another emperor. This is another figure that I wouldn't mind seeing them get done right but I'd be willing to wait a few years. There's so many more figs I would rather see first.
 
Re: The Emperor

They just need to do a serious update of the two POTF2 versions of the Emperor. Even though that first one is a "salt shaker", I still think it is by far the best one we've received and I'm including all the PT Sidiousi as well.

Flashback Emperor is such an awesome figure, but it simply isn't up to today's standards and I'd be happy to buy an update of that one too if they'd do it.

Softgoods have their place, but sometimes they just 'aint no good!

On a side note, I also still think the POTF2 Emperor's Royal Guard is the definitive (released) version of those guys. Its sad really, I've got multiples of all of the ones they've done, and to this day the POTF2 ones are the ones I display.

P.P.S. I want a Sim Aloo.
 
Re: The Emperor

P.P.P.S. It might help if Hasbro could get away from that "sateen" looking fabric they're always using on some of these guys. I don't remember the Emperor being as shiny as an oil bathed 3PO. Same goes for Luke Jedi.
 
Re: The Emperor

Ty said:
P.P.P.S. It might help if Hasbro could get away from that "sateen" looking fabric they're always using on some of these guys. I don't remember the Emperor being as shiny as an oil bathed 3PO. Same goes for Luke Jedi.


Agreed!
cool.gif
 
Re: The Emperor

The last emperor they made (i think I saw him on page one) with the sculpted hood and softgood cape was a decent one. If they could keep that scuplted hood over his face like they did with the Sidious Ep1 figure... i think it's all good.
 
Re: The Emperor

I haven't seen the major SoftGoods fanatics in this thread really but I'm sure they're out there - what I don't understand is what they would expect would be different about a new Emperor with softgoods compared against previous Emperor's with softgoods. Honestly, Hasbro is just going to use the same crappy material they've been using on the evolutions one and all the Vader capes. If you want softgoods thats what you're going to get...and we've already got that. We don't need it again.

We need a new ALL-SCULPTED figure. Thats what we haven't had in a long time. POTF2 may be the best but its the best by default because every other Emperor since has had something downright bizarre about it. Massive hoods, stupid transparent softgoods that can't hold any realistic shape, wierd wavy hoods etc. Hasbro just needs to sculpt a new Emperor thats as basic as can be and yet brings todays improved detail and sculpted robes that look like fabric (aren't shiny).

But if SG is an imperative, as it seems to be for Hasbro, regardless of what collectors think, then EVERYONE should be asking specifically for the same material as was used on 2005s ROTS Agen Kolar..at least for the skirt of the inner robes. Its possible for the figure to sit down and it doesn't stick out in every direction like the ridiculous robes on every other SG Emperor.
 
Re: The Emperor

I've actually considered getting that Hallmark ornament to use the throne, but figured it would be way too much work.

In all honesty I expect they'll miss the mark on this one, for me anyways.
Also I firmly believe ROTS Palpatine head sculpts should NOT be used for ROTJ Emperor figures! And I'm one of those people that often allow a little leeway in the details.
 
Re: The Emperor

Masterfett said:
I've actually considered getting that Hallmark ornament to use the throne, but figured it would be way too much work.

In all honesty I expect they'll miss the mark on this one, for me anyways.
Also I firmly believe ROTS Palpatine head sculpts should NOT be used for ROTJ Emperor figures! And I'm one of those people that often allow a little leeway in the details.

Funny you say that, I use Hallmark ornaments for my imperial guards....

hallmark_2008_emperor_guard.jpg
 
Re: The Emperor

Masterfett said:
Also I firmly believe ROTS Palpatine head sculpts should NOT be used for ROTJ Emperor figures!

I agree with you, he looks different in both ROTS and ROTJ and a ROTS version shouldn't be passed off as a ROTJ version.
 
Re: The Emperor

They got it right back in '99. This figure with an updated face sculpt and some lightning would be perfect for an ROTJ Emperor in my book:

e1darthsidiousloose.jpg


I must be in the minority here, but I didn't care for the last ESB Palpatine. The hood is all wrong. Its correct for "monkey eyes" Palpatine, but not ROTJ or the DVD revision of ESB Palpatine.
 
Re: The Emperor

Yeah, that Ep 1 Darth Sidious is still an incredibly well-sculpted figure. That blue-ish hue to his robe is great, too.
 
Back
Top