The case of the missing Flying Wing

Reaction score
Isn't it almost an Indiana Jones type of tall tale mystery that both Kenner and Hasbro were working on a 3 3/4" German Flying Wing toy, yet neither managed to actually get into production and that after nearly 40 years we still haven't even seen visual proof of either? Both companies managed to release a German Mechanic, but not the vehicle he was upkeeping and that ultimately cut him down.

Surely some toy archeologist must have some evidence (concept art, mock-ups, etc.) of Kenner's vintage or Hasbro's modern attempts?
The only nugget of information I'm aware about is that the vintage toy would have featured an exploding wings concept, which perhaps would have been similar to the TIE Fighter's pop-off wings.

It's mind-boggling how, the most unique vehicle design to the franchise, that screams toyetic, never made it onto store shelves. I really hope with ROTLA's 40th anniversary next year Hasbro Pulse will finally realize this vehicle for the 3 3/4" line. It would also be the perfect opportunity to re-release of the German Mechanic and an exclusive Pilot as pack-ins.

Reaction score
I would absolutely buy a 3.75 scale vehicle of this. Given I missed the mechanic, I wish there was someway to get a second chance at him (or that entire wave).

Reaction score
I fairness the real flying Wing didn't work that well & had just as many issues.

Reaction score
It's the Disney Park one. Must have been released around 2001-2003. I also got one of them. It's about Galoob Micro Machines / Action Fleet scale.

Reaction score
It's the Disney Park one. Must have been released around 2001-2003. I also got one of them. It's about Galoob Micro Machines / Action Fleet scale.
Thanks! It had been so long since I bought It, but I do remember having to snap fit the wings on It.

Reaction score
Yeah that^ would have been the Micro Action one

RjwakSp.jpg

Even smaller, (with base) there was the Titanium ....
Fg4vQdg.jpg

And before that even smaller in the micro machines line.
EMIK0Ib.jpg

Probably the last best bet for a 3 3/4" compatible scale one, would have been back when it was common to see 21st Century Toys Ultimate Soldier had a full line of 1:18th WWII vehicles and planes out there.
I doubt this is even on Hasbro's radar.

Never quite got exactly where they were suposedly going to load (or tie on?) the arc, to that thing?

Another dream would be the Last Crusade Fray Bentos Tank (or whatever they are called) done for 3 3/4" line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's mind-boggling how, the most unique vehicle design to the franchise, that screams toyetic, never made it onto store shelves. I really hope with ROTLA's 40th anniversary next year Hasbro Pulse will finally realize this vehicle for the 3 3/4" line. It would also be the perfect opportunity to re-release of the German Mechanic and an exclusive Pilot as pack-ins.

There's literally zero chance of that happening.

They should have re-released a few of the Raiders figures for the 40th, but I can't imagine they will do ANYTHING to commemorate the anniversary.

Glorbes made an extraordinary custom Flying Wing back in the day that can be see here:

Reaction score
I'd think its only real shot of getting made is in a toyline for the 5th coming movie. Surely they'll do merch/toys for the film and I'd assume toys extending to all the prior films as well. If being honest, I'm more excited for the toys than I am the film itself. Crystal Skull just sucked the excitement for another new Indy movie out of me - though of course I'll see it despite my apprehensions. It could be a way of filling in some blanks they didn't get to in the Crystal Skull line though. I'd def. be in the market for a suited Belloq, Marcus, Hovito native, Colonel Dietrich, Crusade Sallah, Kazim, Maharaja, Chattar Lal, Thuggee Acolyte, Club Obi-Wan Indy, Flying Wing, Minecart, Tank from Crusade, Biplane, etc. Could do a mass release of the German Mechanic, Marion in dress, Sapito, and Toht too for those who couldn't get the SDCC exclusive. I'd think, considering the trendy thing to do now is 6'' lines, I'd expect a "Black Seires" line too.

See my fear is they'll just start from scratch with a 3 3/4'' line. Now of course some repeated characters are to be expected: multiple's of Indy, Marion, Belloq, Sallah and others...but I REALLY hope a new line makes sure to include those said characters we didn't get in the original line. See those first few waves weren't fantastic. Likenesses weren't always great, shoddy paint jobs (Goggle eyes Indy, anyone?), and some legit downright strange engineering on some like Monkey Man, Cairo Swordsman, and Sallah. I'd say Belloq and Marion were...acceptable but not great either. I'll forever be annoyed with the lack of a regular suited Belloq. What a massive omission. Some decent figures, but over-all the line didn't especially shine till they got to Crusade, Doom, and the SDCC exclusive figures. Figures like Henry Jones Sr., Grail Knight, Vogel, Mola Ram, Short Round, Thuggee Warrior, Thuggee Chief Temple Guard, Toht, Temple of Doom Indy, Mario in dress, German Mechanic...MAN they really were awesome figures. Those were the stand-outs IMO. Even the German soldier, certain Indy's (some were hit-some miss - SDCC boxed set Indy is the best option for standard Indy), Willie, Elsa, and Young Indy were pretty solid.

I know they did a theme park Micro Action tank too.

1627106158565.png

Lego was one of the only really MASS market Flying Wing releases in more modern times - it and the Titanium:
1627109058199.png

My dumb*** didn't pick it up, sadly. Lego's Indy line was really cool, but had some glaring omissions too. Barely anything from Temple of Doom. They did what would pass as a pretty lackluster sacrificial chamber that oddly connected to a minecart track. It wasn't film accurate like...at all. I'm going to assume it's largely because of the pretty violent and graphic nature and context of those scenes. Lego only did one other for Doom, the car chase in the opening with Lao Che. How did they not do the bridge? Or the bug room/spike room? Or even the elephant caravan? They did a fairly nice selection for Raiders though: Opening temple scene, Well of Souls, Cairo Street Swordfight, Flying Wing fight, and Truck Chase, I always felt the Nepal bar fight and the map room should have gotten sets. They NEVER did Toht. Then for Crusade, they did some sets based off scenes you just don't see often. That was pretty cool. They did the motorcycle chase as a small little set, but more interesting is they did the boat chase and the airplane fight scene. You RARELY see anything from those. But sadly, this also was missing A LOT. No opening circus train sequence, no sewer with rats and tomb, but the big ones...no tank and no Temple of the Crescent Moon. I actually heard the Temple was in development, but Indy got cancelled and they turned the prototype design for it into a Prince of Persia set. And when you see the set, you can even kind of make it out.

1627109863277.png

There's a big blade, the second part is hard to see on the box but it's a sort of "step carefully" part, there was to be a narrow bridge connecting to the last part where there would be the Grail Knight and you can see likely a light up feature for the Holy Grail around fake grails. I'd assume it would have come with Elsa, Donovan, Indy, Grail Knight, and maybe Henry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd think its only real shot of getting made is in a toyline for the 5th coming movie. Surely they'll do merch/toys for the film and I'd assume toys extending to all the prior films as well. If being honest, I'm more excited for the toys than I am the film itself. Crystal Skull just sucked the excitement for another new Indy movie out of me - though of course I'll see it despite my apprehensions. It could be a way of filling in some blanks they didn't get to in the Crystal Skull line though. I'd def. be in the market for a suited Belloq, Marcus, Hovito native, Colonel Dietrich, Crusade Sallah, Kazim, Maharaja, Chattar Lal, Thuggee Acolyte, Club Obi-Wan Indy, Flying Wing, Minecart, Tank from Crusade, Biplane, etc. Could do a mass release of the German Mechanic, Marion in dress, Sapito, and Toht too for those who couldn't get the SDCC exclusive. I'd think, considering the trendy thing to do now is 6'' lines, I'd expect a "Black Seires" line too.

See my fear is they'll just start from scratch with a 3 3/4'' line. Now of course some repeated characters are to be expected: multiple's of Indy, Marion, Belloq, Sallah and others...but I REALLY hope a new line makes sure to include those said characters we didn't get in the original line. See those first few waves weren't fantastic. Likenesses weren't always great, shoddy paint jobs (Goggle eyes Indy, anyone?), and some legit downright strange engineering on some like Monkey Man, Cairo Swordsman, and Sallah. I'd say Belloq and Marion were...acceptable but not great either. I'll forever be annoyed with the lack of a regular suited Belloq. What a massive omission. Some decent figures, but over-all the line didn't especially shine till they got to Crusade, Doom, and the SDCC exclusive figures. Figures like Henry Jones Sr., Grail Knight, Vogel, Mola Ram, Short Round, Thuggee Warrior, Thuggee Chief Temple Guard, Toht, Temple of Doom Indy, Mario in dress, German Mechanic...MAN they really were awesome figures. Those were the stand-outs IMO. Even the German soldier, certain Indy's (some were hit-some miss - SDCC boxed set Indy is the best option for standard Indy), Willie, Elsa, and Young Indy were pretty solid.

While I would obviously love what you're describing here, I think your hopes are unrealistically high.

While Hasbro said back in 2008 that they would continue the Indy line if there was a new film, so much has changed in that time. The 3.75 market has basically cratered and 6" has taken over as the industry standard.

I can see a limited number of 6" figures going with this line.

I would be furious if they didn't do at least some 3.75" figures, too. But, I think your worries about them "starting from scratch" are unfounded.

Given the precariousness of the 3.75" line, there's no way they wouldn't use the assets they already have. As you point out, the figures got better and better as they went along. And they have been re-releasing older figures in the TVC line that go back ten years or so. Given that many of the Indy figures were of a very high quality, I think if they do re-release figures from the previous films, we'll see those old figures pop up.

How big will the Indy 5 line be? Who knows? Will they use the opportunity to fill in the "gaps" of the older films? As much as I wish this was the case, I can't see the line being all that expansive. MAYBE they'll release some of the cancelled items that were at least in the works back in the day.

But I think if we do see all-new, non-Indy 5 figures, they will be very small in number.

I think that's just the sad reality of it.

Reaction score
I think they'll test the market, proceed with caution, and have plans on standby. Before and during initial release of Indy V, they'll start with the most basic figures that they know will sell. If Indy V does well, or even exceeds expectations and becomes a big hit, they'll get things going in a hurry to meet demand.

Reaction score
While I would obviously love what you're describing here, I think your hopes are unrealistically high.

While Hasbro said back in 2008 that they would continue the Indy line if there was a new film, so much has changed in that time. The 3.75 market has basically cratered and 6" has taken over as the industry standard.

I can see a limited number of 6" figures going with this line.

I would be furious if they didn't do at least some 3.75" figures, too. But, I think your worries about them "starting from scratch" are unfounded.

Given the precariousness of the 3.75" line, there's no way they wouldn't use the assets they already have. As you point out, the figures got better and better as they went along. And they have been re-releasing older figures in the TVC line that go back ten years or so. Given that many of the Indy figures were of a very high quality, I think if they do re-release figures from the previous films, we'll see those old figures pop up.

How big will the Indy 5 line be? Who knows? Will they use the opportunity to fill in the "gaps" of the older films? As much as I wish this was the case, I can't see the line being all that expansive. MAYBE they'll release some of the cancelled items that were at least in the works back in the day.

But I think if we do see all-new, non-Indy 5 figures, they will be very small in number.

I think that's just the sad reality of it.

Oh no, believe me, I know. Just my logic is, I'd rather have it out there than not...else they'll never know there's a LEVEL of demand for this stuff, you know? The big issue with Indy lines is they've always been niche. They've never done especially well - including the vintage line. Realistically, it's actually rather impressive we got the Doom and Crusade waves at all really.

Reaction score
Oh no, believe me, I know. Just my logic is, I'd rather have it out there than not...else they'll never know there's a LEVEL of demand for this stuff, you know? The big issue with Indy lines is they've always been niche. They've never done especially well - including the vintage line. Realistically, it's actually rather impressive we got the Doom and Crusade waves at all really.

Well, like you said, the Indy merch has always been niche. I don't think there's that "level" of demand. I do hope they are able to get SOME stuff out (in 3.75! I'd rather have nothing than only 6"!)

It's very niche, it's collector-focused (naturally). But, give us something, please!

Reaction score
I think one of the real big issues is, it's not the most appealing to kids. At least not anymore. That's not to say kids don't love the films, just firstly...they're older. Secondly, they have an old timey feel to them that kids may find dated I.E: Think the Cowboy genre and how it's not what it used to be with modern kids either. And lastly, when it does get a toyline...it's riddled with a lot of characters kids likely find bland. Cairo Swordsman, Monkey Man, German Soldier, they're all just sort of generic to a child. They don't have a super toyetic appeal like, say, a brightly colored steroid-induced superhero, a sharp toothed or spiked dinosaur, space rocket man or cool armor, tricked out robot, or freaky alien/monster man. They're just figures of what sort of look like, well, real people. Indy lines, outside of Indiana Jones figures himself (and perhaps a few others like perhaps Mola Ram or perhaps a select few others) - more toyetic than others from Indy), really seem to appeal only with the now grown adults who grew up on the original films.

Reaction score
I think one of the real big issues is, it's not the most appealing to kids. At least not anymore. That's not to say kids don't love the films, just firstly...they're older. Secondly, they have an old timey feel to them that kids may find dated I.E: Think the Cowboy genre and how it's not what it used to be with modern kids either. And lastly, when it does get a toyline...it's riddled with a lot of characters kids likely find bland. Cairo Swordsman, Monkey Man, German Soldier, they're all just sort of generic to a child. They don't have a super toyetic appeal like, say, a brightly colored steroid-induced superhero, a sharp toothed or spiked dinosaur, space rocket man or cool armor, tricked out robot, or freaky alien/monster man. They're just figures of what sort of look like, well, real people. Indy lines, outside of Indiana Jones figures himself (and perhaps a few others like perhaps Mola Ram or perhaps a select few others) - more toyetic than others from Indy), really seem to appeal only with the now grown adults who grew up on the original films.

You're right, of course. But, heck, SW is considered mostly an adult market now, too, as is Marvel. At least with their action figure releases. (Hasbro does do kid-targeted SW like Mission Fleet, etc.)

Indy would absolutely be an adult-focused line and, of course, there are countless adult toy lines in existence. But, even for adult collectors, it's a very old franchise that has fairly niche appeal.

Whether or not it's worth Hasbro's time and money to chase that small market is anyone's guess. Guess we'll find out next year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're right, of course. But, heck, SW is considered mostly an adult market now, too, as is Marvel. At least with their action figure releases. (Hasbro does do kid-targeted SW like Mission Fleet, etc.)

Indy would absolutely be an adult-focused line and, of course, there are countless adult toy lines in existence. Even for adult collectors, it's a very old franchise that has fairly niche appeal.

Whether or not it's worth Hasbro's time and money to chase that small market is anyone's guess. Guess we'll find out next year.

If Hasbro doesn't do it for Indy 5, I do think someone will but in a more limited basis. I'd love if Neca got it. See my biggest letdown Neca ever did was doing Bladerunner 2049 figures, I THOUGHT that would transition into original film figures. Sadly it did not. But if Neca did Indy 5, I think it a sure bet we'd get original film figures.

Reaction score
If Hasbro doesn't do it for Indy 5, I do think someone will but in a more limited basis. I'd love if Neca got it. See my biggest letdown Neca ever did was doing Bladerunner 2049 figures, I THOUGHT that would transition into original film figures. Sadly it did not. But if Neca did Indy 5, I think it a sure bet we'd get original film figures.

Sure. I just personally have zero interest in anything not 3.75".

Reaction score
Sure. I just personally have zero interest in anything not 3.75".

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm not really dying for 6'' Indy figures...but I do have this gut feeling that's what we'll get. It's like with the Black Series first began, I was dubious...but I still picked up early figures. But I was def. cherry picking. I got Maul, Boba, a Sandtrooper, Vader, Han, the Speeder Bike, but as it kept going...I kept just not really feeling myself in it. I have hundreds of 3 3/4'' SW, maybe even close to a thousand, do I REALLY want to start from scratch after almost 3 decades of work collecting the 3'' scale? Cut to today, I haven't bought a Black Series in months. Years actually. I've been tempted by some, but I can't pull the trigger anymore. I'd probably pick up A 6'' Indiana Jones, but that's it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm not really dying for 6'' Indy figures...but I do have this gut feeling that's what we'll get. It's like with the Black Series first began, I was dubious...but I still picked up early figures. But I was def. cherry picking. I got Maul, Boba, a Sandtrooper, Vader, Han, the Speeder Bike, but as it kept going...I kept just not really feeling myself in it. I have hundreds of 3 3/4'' SW, maybe even close to a thousand, do I REALLY want to start from scratch after almost 3 decades of work collecting the 3'' scale? Cut to today, I haven't bought a Black Series in months. I've been tempted by some, but I can't pull the trigger anymore. I'd probably pick up A 6'' Indiana Jones, but that's it.

Yeah. I MIGHT pick up a 6" Indy, but that would be it. Similarly, i have a large (ish) collection of 3.75" (though it's smaller now, as I've been downgrading over the past five years or so...) Still, I had no interest in buying another scale, let alone one that was too big to have vehicles & playsets and all the other goodness. 6" can die in a fire for all I care.

Reaction score
That was the big thing for me. Vehicles. And I know they've done some in 6'', but you just CAN'T do most unless a Haslab price. I don't mind 6'' if the line began 6'' like, say, Marvel Legends, NECA Stuff, etc. I'm all over that. But with SW, I just have a solid place in my heart for 3.75''. Same for when it comes to Indy and G.I. Joe. I like that smaller scale because it provides so many more chances for things OTHER than just characters. Also it's a good price point. I can appreciate Black Series or some other 6'' versions of lines regularly 3.75'', some figures came out incredible, but...they're not really for me. Hardcore cherry picker...if really purchaser at all anymore.