The Bridge Direct - The Hobbit

Reaction score
I think you might be confusing the Rankin Bass Hobbit movie with Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. It's LOTR that used the rotoscoping. The Rankin Bass version of The Hobbit and The Return of the King use traditional animation.
Eeek! Thanks: you are correct - totally got confused!

Yes, I was referring Indeed referring to Bakshi’s LOTRs movie...

Which makes me now realise - I need to rewatch the Hobbit (Bass version) again!

🤪

Reaction score
Eeek! Thanks: you are correct - totally got confused!

Yes, I was referring Indeed referring to Bakshi’s LOTRs movie...

Which makes me now realise - I need to rewatch the Hobbit (Bass version) again!

🤪
The Hobbit and LOTR animated movies are both great in different ways. They're both huge parts of my childhood and had an enormous impact on my love of sci-fi and fantasy.

Reaction score
Rewatched Rankin Bass Hobbit last night. Figures would be great. Come on - need to find someone who is good with a 3D printer.

Gandalf
Bilbo
13 Dwarves in traveling clothes
Ponies
3 Trolls
Elrond
Goblins - army builder
Goblin King
Wargs
Gollum
Spiders
Eagles
Wood Elf - army builder
Wood Elf King
Bard
Lake Town warrior - army builder
Smaug
13 Dwarves in armor
Iron Hill dwarf - army builder

Easy! :-0

Reaction score
back in my Mego customizing days, I did Gandalf, Bilbo,and a lotr ringwraith, Ive since sold them. The knickerbocker LOTR figs were amazing, but I agree the rankin bass ones were more pleasing asthetically.

Reaction score
I'd buy Rankin Bass Hobbit figures, for sure. Bakshi Rings figures too.

Actually I've always wanted a non-descript LOTR line. Sort of like the Toy Vault figures, not based on pre-existing media (except the books, obviously)

Reaction score
Now for me, personally, I'm a mixed bag here. I wouldn't have any interest in figured based off the old cartoons, I don't particularly like the LOTR and ROTK cartoons at all. See for me, all welcome to disagree, but I never liked the DESIGNS of the films. Now I do like The Hobbit animated film, but NOT for said designs but for story. Creature of the Black Lagoon Gollum, Elves that look like monsters (The Hobbit), Hobbits looking more like they have real-life dwarfism rather than being proportionate (aside from feet) but simply just smaller scale, viking Boromir, Peter Lorrie Wormtongue with his Hitler mustache, Saruman living in a hellish tower in a hellish landscape (Oh he won't become a villain...will he?) and Saruman THE WHITE in....red (which yes he becomes "Saruman of Many Colors, but that STILL translates to WHITE on the spectrum...not red), etc. Countless more examples.

Just there was a period in time where Tolkien artists really...for my money...visually misinterpreted what Tolkien wrote. Was during a time where really, I think less care was put in and more drugs. I never really understood why LOTR, for a time, became associated with sort of hippie drug usage and such. A good example would be The Brothers Hildebrandt and their art. Some I LOVE, but some I HATE! It just comes off goofy to me, which in a story as serious and mythological as LOTR, it really shouldn't visually look like a Disney-level fairy tale. I get that it's animated, meaning will be more stylistic, but still. A lot of that is just...bad designing in the cartoon films. This is just my humble opinion.

This is one reason why I love the Jackson films so much, again not so much the Hobbit 2 and 3 (and even aspects of 1...though def. the best of the three IMO), but LOTR. It was grounded, it felt real, it took things seriously. In this specific case, it took the physical aspect and made it real. It didn't feel silly, goofy, this isn't Labyrinth or Dark Crystal or Harry Potter...though I do adore those too. It's just not them! Hobbits look like normal people, just smaller with big hairy feet. Cultures have identifiable qualities, they feel like real cultures instead of someones D&D campaign. It felt more....serious. Less high fantasy and more like, albeit is fantasy, like this sort of lost history that ACTUALLY existed but was forgotten rather than some made-up tale, alviet you as a viewer or reader know it is made-up. And one thing the LOTR films did, the two artists they hired that were former Tolkien artists, John Howe and Alan Lee, are by FAR the two who did the most "realism" work on Tolkien pre-film lore. For my money, they're ABSOLUTELY GENIUS!

But that's my take....I think the cartoons are a very FUN part of Tolkien history, but...they're definitely not my preference. In some ways, I don't even like them all at all. In many ways, the Jackson films sort of defined how (unless Tolkien described them VERY differently) aesthetically that world looks, for me. I mean they made ENTS NOT look absurd, that's one heck of an achievement! Now I'm not gung-ho in every way, like said I disliked some of the film Dwarf and Orc designs in their Hobbit, but over-all (for me the vast majority)...my GOD the LOTR and MOST The Hobbit film designs have to be among the most stunning and beautiful I've ever seen. As a diehard Batman fan as well, I kind of view the cartoons as like how I view the Adam West series. I love it in a sense, grew up with it, but it's not REALLY Batman/Tolkien.

I always made a sort of joke that there are four film that will make every man choke up and if they don't I don't trust them. Hah! Schindler's List, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and Return of the King. The reason why Tolkien is on there is because, although the other three films are very real world and dealing with real world issues and history, Jackson and his team made LOTR feel REAL as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I always made a sort of joke that there are four film that will make every man choke up and if they don't I don't trust them. Hah! Schindler's List, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and Return of the King. The reason why Tolkien is on there is because, although the other three films are very real world and dealing with real world issues and history, Jackson and his team made LOTR feel REAL as well.
Dirty Dozen - "run Jim Brown RUN", Rambo - "Nothing is over", Con Air - "Why couldn't you put the bunny back in the box?", and who could forget Rudy - ... he's so little.
:ROFLMAO: