The Bridge Direct - The Hobbit

Reaction score
I didn't know they didn't have the license anymore. You're right, these will never happen unfortunately. Boooo. Do you know if the license expired, or was it not renewed because of their poor handling of the line when they had it?
I don't know the specifics, but I believe The Bridge Direct confirmed they no longer hold the license in a social media post. I imagine the license expired at some point after the third film's release and considering how poorly the line performed and/or was handled, all parties decided it was best not to renew it.

Reaction score
I don't know the specifics, but I believe The Bridge Direct confirmed they no longer hold the license in a social media post. I imagine the license expired at some point after the third film's release and considering how poorly the line performed and/or was handled, all parties decided it was best not to renew it.
They should never be granted another toy license again, ever. Any company that is looking for someone to handle their toy license better do a little homework and when they see how this line was handled better go, "ummm, no way." I'm sure that's why TBD tried to blame us, but a little digging on any forum should reveal the truth.

Reaction score
If I recall, they only held the license for the three movies. With the option to renew afterward. So I'm guessing things didn't work out for either party's side.

Reaction score
I still want to make a customized set of dwarves made out of Bridge Direct Justin Bieber figures - just to hassle Bridge Direct - I just can't bring myself to spend a dime on a Bridge Direct Justin Beiber figure.

Maybe someday I'll find a lot at a garage sale.

GNT

Reaction score
If I recall, they only held the license for the three movies. With the option to renew afterward. So I'm guessing things didn't work out for either party's side.
For a company that did a bad job I don't see why either side would want to extend the license beyond the contract timeframe.

Reaction score
Is that the production Smaug? You've got to be kidding me!!!!:(

If it is, please tell me you didn't pay good money for it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's absurdly small. Which is a shame considering its a pretty nice sculpt IMO. I was looking at some on ebay, and one seller had the insert pulled out of the box for a picture, and the amount of blank cardboard surrounding this guy in the package would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

Reaction score
Is that the production Smaug? You've got to be kidding me!!!!:(

If it is, please tell me you didn't pay good money for it!

Sure is. And I paid full price for the damn thing when it came out, and wrote a scathing review on the WBShop site - not that it matters.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that picture! If I was still on the fence of whether or not I ought to get smaug as I'm finishing up the collection including foreign releases, that picture settles it! Is that the 6" or 3.75" Thorin?

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that picture! If I was still on the fence of whether or not I ought to get smaug as I'm finishing up the collection including foreign releases, that picture settles it! Is that the 6" or 3.75" Thorin?
6 inch Thorin.

Reaction score
Every once in a while, I feel like going by the Bridge Direct facebook page and reminding them that they still suck.

Reaction score
Right on. Since I gave in and got all the 3.75" figures, I'm even more annoyed we never got that Party of Thorin Oakenshield gift set they showed. I hate that company, so, so, so, so, sooooooo much.

Reaction score
I know I've said this before but since we're trashing TBD again, I'm happy to repeat it. I would've been totally fine if they just delivered the figures they'd already shown. I wasn't being greedy and I didn't have unreasonable expectations. Yes, I would have loved it if they were able to expand the line to include LOTR figures as well, but I wasn't even remotely holding onto the pipe dream. The rest of the dwarves, Bard, Beorn, Radagast, translucent Bilbo, and that white Orc whose name escapes at the moment, all in 3.75". That's all. Not too much to ask, I don't think. Jesus, now I'm annoyed all over again.

Reaction score
My understanding was always if a figure is to the point where they can show the example of toy fair then the bulk of the cost has already been spent so it would be in a company's best interest to get it out anyway possible. Considering how much they showed as finished and then never released, well they must have lost a ton of money. Not enough unfortunately to bankrupt them.

that picture with the faces taped on is fantastic!

Reaction score
Somehow they couldn't convince Target and Walmart to carry them, I think that's what killed them. I bought pretty much everything from TRU when they were available. The next store I saw them in was K-Mart and they were already heavily discounted. Then I saw some go straight to the clearance aisle at Walmart months and months later. (And only single packed figures at that). In between was the ToyFair or whatever where they showed Radagast, Beorn, Bard, and the rest of the Dwarves, all of which we never got of course. I think part of the anger is how their PR people strung us along and strung us along, and kept promising and promising (more so than Hasbro even) that we would get something great, then they delivered that wrinkled turd they called Smaug.

Reaction score
Somehow they couldn't convince Target and Walmart to carry them, I think that's what killed them. I bought pretty much everything from TRU when they were available. The next store I saw them in was K-Mart and they were already heavily discounted. Then I saw some go straight to the clearance aisle at Walmart months and months later. (And only single packed figures at that). In between was the ToyFair or whatever where they showed Radagast, Beorn, Bard, and the rest of the Dwarves, all of which we never got of course. I think part of the anger is how their PR people strung us along and strung us along, and kept promising and promising (more so than Hasbro even) that we would get something great, then they delivered that wrinkled turd they called Smaug.
Yes and let's not forget how in the middle of all this they re-released the figures from the first movie in the second movie's packaging.

Reaction score
I think they were asking for too much money from the retailers. I don't know this for a fact, but considering all the other movie lines these stores have carried, I can't imagine any other reason they couldn't get the major chains to carry these.

Reaction score
Someone over on the forums at funkofunatic.com ask if it would be possible for Funko to include The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to their 9 POA line. Reis, the lead designer said that this license is currently with another company. I wonder if it's still Bridge Direct screwing us out of these? That company produced Justi Bieber dolls and killed both The Hobbit and LOTR chances of having a truly great line. They are completely incompetent and Unredeemable!

Reaction score
Someone over on the forums at funkofunatic.com ask if it would be possible for Funko to include The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to their 9 POA line. Reis, the lead designer said that this license is currently with another company. I wonder if it's still Bridge Direct screwing us out of these? That company produced Justi Bieber dolls and killed both The Hobbit and LOTR chances of having a truly great line. They are completely incompetent and Unredeemable!
Talk about frustrating. Yeah, we TOTALLY tanked the line, and have no interest in actually doing anything with it. Should we let the license go to another company? Nah. Because we're total ****ing *******s.

Reaction score
Makes you wonder how they even got the rights in the first place?
If I remember correctly, some of The Bridge Direct guys had worked on the LOTR line at Toy Biz. I wonder if that factored in. TBS may have seemed like a good fit since some of the sculptors were already familiar with the property.

I thought the line was initially off to a good start. I liked the mix of single figures and two packs and TBS seemed committed to putting out a decent line. Then it all went to s***.

Reaction score
TBD should hand the rights to the Hobbit / LOTRs over - forthwith! :(

If they aren't doing anything with the franchise, they should let it go.

Let another company make the Dain Ironfoot action figure I so desperately hoped for!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, BUT ... another designer (Brian) has confirmed Funko Pop LotR coming Spring '17, so maybe this has now changed with the license? Or would that be a separate license deal?

Reaction score
Yes, BUT ... another designer (Brian) has confirmed Funko Pop LotR coming Spring '17, so maybe this has now changed with the license? Or would that be a separate license deal?
Standard Funko Pops should be under the same licensing agreement as action figures. That is the reason why the Star Wars pops have to be bobble heads...Hasbro owns the "action figure" license and bobble heads are not included.

Hearing that Funko may have the rights to make Lotr/Hobbit figures doesn't excite me at all. I'm not interested in cutesy, undetailed figures.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Some of them are okay, but others looked a bit cartoony for me. 9POA with very realistic sculpts would be fine, but sometimes the Funko figures looked oddly proportioned to me.
True - but better than what we have now....a whole bunch of nuthin!

Reaction score
Funko's Game of Thrones action figures were pretty darn good.
Those do look better than the reaction figures I was thinking of.

That said, it's interesting how my thoughts about figures has changed over the last few years. At this point I look at 3 3/4 figures and often think they are lacking detail simply because it is hard to include as much detail in that scale as in 6" (heck I think that about 6" sometimes too). That is what I thought when looking at those 3 3/4 GoT figures you linked.

Also, I think largely because of the history with the LotR Toy Biz line, smaller LotR figures don't seem quite right. Maybe I'm strange and am the only one who thinks that? Funko did do the 6" GoT lines and some of those were pretty good but there were some horrible...and I mean horrible by hasbro standards, paint apps. I remember seeing forehead beards!! (I had forgotten Funko made that line until I looked it up)

But you are right gijigsaw. Those GoT figures you linked have opened my eyes that maybe Funko could potentially produce figures I'm interested in. I was thinking they just did reaction figures and pops but that isn't correct.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just stopped in to say The Bridge Direct completely and utterly sucks.

Also loving my Funko LOTR pops. With they would make action figures for all 6 movies too...

Reaction score
Just stopped in to say The Bridge Direct completely and utterly sucks.

Also loving my Funko LOTR pops. With they would make action figures for all 6 movies too...
For a while I would drop by their Facebook page and remind them that they suck, but they now delete any posts that have to do with the Hobbit. Jerks.

Reaction score
For a while I would drop by their Facebook page and remind them that they suck, but they now delete any posts that have to do with the Hobbit. Jerks.
Lol!!! That’s awesome!! They definitely deserve to be reminded what a piece of **** company they are. I will never forgive them for not releasing that fourteen figure gift set they showed along with everything else they promised. I hope people from their company read this website because I’d like to say **** you the bridge direct!!

Reaction score
Goodness that’s harsh but really the way the whole line was handled I just can’t think of anything else to say to them.

Reaction score
Yeah - back in the day, I gave them the benefit of the doubt (as you’ll no doubt recall), but it indeed came to nought...

They handled things absolutely terribly, and I’d be very glad if they did not have the license for action figures for the newly announced ‘LOTRs based middle earth’ tv series that is planned for 2020.

Looking very forward to the new series, I must confess! Intrigued as to what they choose as a direction, and where it will be set in terms of narrative / story...

Last edited: