The Bridge Direct - The Hobbit

Reaction score
In retrospect, I'm glad The Bridge Direct completely botched The Hobbit line as I would probably have bought the figures before I watched the films and I ended up liking the last two films about as much as I enjoyed AOTC and ROTS. In other words, I despised them for being the bloated, soulless CGI fests they are. My only regret is that they never got around to producing figures from The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot about that how they were going to be able to produce things from all of lotr in whatever scale they wanted. Would have been great to get a bunch of new six inch orcs..I'm confident those would have sold better than cases of 4" Thorin.

Reaction score
I'm moving soon so I have been packing up all my toys.
It had been awhile since I thought about these figures. Regardless of all the hate aimed at TBD because of their empty promises and failures with this line, these figures are really quite good. The 6" figures at least are very nice. Good paint apps and detail/texture.

It is disappointing how it ended up with so few figures in total but sometimes it helps to reevaluate after some time has past.

At this point I can better appreciate the figures we did receive instead of dwelling on the figures we didn't.

Reaction score
I absolutely loved the movies (I was a bit taken aback at how much CGI there was but I didn't let it ruin my overall enjoyment) and would have bought all of the 6" figures, so I guess from the standpoint of saving money and space, it's a good thing that TBD was so horrendously incompetent. But I still would have liked to have gotten more figures as I really love my LOTR ones.

Reaction score
Yep we are still mad about it. Will never be able to "appreciate" an incomplete set. It's like having Voltron with two and a half lions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but after having a marathon the other day watching all three extended Hobbit movies in one day, I've decided I want to get the 3.75" figures. I just love these movies so much, and I really want the figures, but I'm just reminded of what a sad, wasted opportunity this line was. Going back and reading a lot of the posts didn't help either. I have all the (ha ha, "all," as in all 6 or whatever it is) 6" figures, but there are at least a few different figures in the smaller scale not available in the larger format. And sadly, it doesn't look like there's even that much to get. This is where you all come in. I found this post a while back, and I think this is all I need to get, and with the Mirkwood set, I can even skip two more of the two packs. So is this all I need to get one of each figure:

Dwalin/Balin
Baggins/Gollum

Gandalf/Bolg
Fimbul the goblin with a Worg

Thorin/Goblin King

Grinnah

Mirkwood gift set

Azog (foreign release)
Radagast (foreign release)
Invisible Bilbo (foreign release?)

Is that really all I need? 18 figures for three movies? I looked at several checklists but they don't seem comprehensive, like they kind of gave up when they saw the line was doomed! I don't know how much of a pain is to get the Radagast and Azog, but I might as well go "all in." I'm assuming the Azog and Radagast come on closed hanger tab cards as opposed to the open J-pegs we have in the U.S. And I believe the Invisible Bilbo is a foreign exclusive as well?

And I'm reminded of how badly I wanted that "Company of Thorin Oakenshield" gift set that was to have all of the dwarves plus Gandalf and Bilbo. God that thing was beautiful. I hate TBD so much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
From memory (and assuming your talking about 3.75" figures) then the Kili and Fili and Tauriel and Legolas 2 packs are missing from your list. IIRC Tauriel/Legolas are in the Mirkwood set but can't remember if that included Kili and Fili.

And agree about the Company set - had some unexpected time on my hands over the last couple of weeks so am working on customs of the missing figures.

Reaction score
From memory (and assuming your talking about 3.75" figures) then the Kili and Fili and Tauriel and Legolas 2 packs are missing from your list. IIRC Tauriel/Legolas are in the Mirkwood set but can't remember if that included Kili and Fili.

And agree about the Company set - had some unexpected time on my hands over the last couple of weeks so am working on customs of the missing figures.
Yeah, looking at the 3.75" and Kili/Fili, Tauriel/Legolas are in the Mirkwood set so I figure if I'm just going for one of each figure, I can skip those two two packs.

Reaction score
Yikes! After looking at ebay, I'm kind of surprised at the prices people want for this stuff! I figured for a line that tanked, and tanked hard and was clearance, that the stuff would be relatively inexpensive. Not so!

Reaction score
Yikes! After looking at ebay, I'm kind of surprised at the prices people want for this stuff! I figured for a line that tanked, and tanked hard and was clearance, that the stuff would be relatively inexpensive. Not so!
Not sure if it matters, but the Mirkwood version of Kili and Fili have different colored outfits than the originals.

Those ebay prices are weird. Have you looked at Amazon? Sometimes you can find these things cheap on there.

Reaction score
Thing is, these are no longer available. So it's totally feasible that people could have bought up all those figures on clearance, just waiting for the day to get a return on the investment.

The only figure I missed, was Legolas' papa. Didn't feel like he was worth $40 though.

Reaction score
Thing is, these are no longer available. So it's totally feasible that people could have bought up all those figures on clearance, just waiting for the day to get a return on the investment.

The only figure I missed, was Legolas' papa. Didn't feel like he was worth $40 though.
Wasn't he single carded in the UK? Maybe I imagined that. I got that set for $15 on sale at TRU. (I think it was $20 and I had a $5 rewards coupon). Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered either. When I found a bunch of the figures at K-Mart for the super cheap clearance price, I think I just bought a bunch of Warg sets and a bunch of that one stupid Goblin who is barely in the movie. Army builders. I'll have to check that plastic tub out. Come to think of it, I think It's full of Tron 3.75 and Prince of Persia figs that I got on Clearance too, hehe.

Reaction score
Yeah those $2 Prince of Persia figures were kind of cool. Though I didn't care for the type of plastic used, reminded me of those brittle plastic figures.

Reaction score
Not sure if it matters, but the Mirkwood version of Kili and Fili have different colored outfits than the originals.

Those ebay prices are weird. Have you looked at Amazon? Sometimes you can find these things cheap on there.
Thanks for the heads up on the outfits. I'll have to check that out. Was it an intentional change or just a factory paint thing? I don't remember them changing their outfits is all.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the outfits. I'll have to check that out. Was it an intentional change or just a factory paint thing? I don't remember them changing their outfits is all.
It was like they used a different colored plastic to mold the jackets. They were lighter
green.

Reaction score
Wasn't he single carded in the UK? Maybe I imagined that. I got that set for $15 on sale at TRU. (I think it was $20 and I had a $5 rewards coupon). Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered either. When I found a bunch of the figures at K-Mart for the super cheap clearance price, I think I just bought a bunch of Warg sets and a bunch of that one stupid Goblin who is barely in the movie. Army builders. I'll have to check that plastic tub out. Come to think of it, I think It's full of Tron 3.75 and Prince of Persia figs that I got on Clearance too, hehe.
IIRC there was a carded Thranduil shown at Toy fair or SDCC in 2014(?) but AFAIK it was never released in the UK or anywhere else.

Finished off the company - pics in the appropriate Customs Thread.

Reaction score
Okay, since the line is so small I decided to go all in. All single carded figures, all two packs, both gift sets. I had to get a grinnah single carded figure, and I found an auction for not a ton more to get all five so I decided why not. So far I have gollum/bilbo, thorin/goblin king, radagast and azog (wanted to get those out of the way before I changed my mind), invisible bilbo, Mirkwood set and the five carded figures.

Now the burning (no pun intended) question I have for everyone is smaug: if one is doing the whole line, is smaug even a part of it or is he kind of a one off thing all by himself since the scale of the Bard "figure" is so small?

And I have to admit, I was kind of hard on the quality of this scale when it first came out, but after seeing them now I can see that they are actually pretty nice, which again bums me out we didn't get more.

Reaction score
If you care enough to get the whole line including figures like the SDCC versions, Europe releases etc, then in my mind Smaug is part of it.

That being said, I never got him. Though I only cared about the 6 inchers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you care enough to get the whole line including figures like the SDCC versions, Europe releases etc, then in my mind Smaug is part of it.

I think that Smaug ended up being only 6 inches.

Reaction score

Yeah, that's kind of what I was afraid of. I think they really made a big (or little) mistake by including that miniature Bard figure thing. The problem with it is it really drives home the point of how underscaled Smaug is. I get that sometimes they have to reduce the size to make it more feasible to produce, package, sell etc., but don't also go oh and here's a little tiny figure so you can see just how out of scale it is with the rest of the line.

Reaction score
I didn't really follow this line all that closely, but reading in this thread there was a Smaug made, I got excited... the I looked him up... wowzers. That thing is small. Like... obscenely so, for the money.

Reaction score
Yeah, I just got done reading some reviews and looking at pictures of Smaug and videos and ehhhhh, even though I'm going all in on the figures, I think I'm going to have to pass. I saw one on ebay for like $120 that I thought aw what the hell I'll get it and get the entire line. Again, I realize they would have had a hard time making it to scale, but when the 3.75" Bilbo towers over the beast that should be able to swallow him whole in one gulp, that's just terrible. So I guess I have to look at it this way: I collected the entire 6" line, the entire 3.75" line (in progress), but I will not collect the puny 1/2" scale (based on the Bard figure that's included).

Reaction score
Yeah my first thought was 'well it might fit nicely with some Armies of Middle Earth figures' but it's too small even for them.

Reaction score
Yeah my first thought was 'well it might fit nicely with some Armies of Middle Earth figures' but it's too small even for them.
Good grief. It's not even big enough for them?!? TBD was just flat out out of their ****ing minds in their handling of this line. When I was looking at pictures I came across the photos of the bombur, bard, and beorn and some others that were actually done! If they'd already invested that money in getting those figures to that stage wouldn't they want to recoup some of their costs and at least made those an online exclusive or a sdcc exclusive? And for them to think anyone would be happy with this smaug? Just baffling.

Reaction score
Could be that retail support was long gone, by the time those figures were ready to ship. Once someone sees that a line isn't performing well, I can't think of why they would continue buy anymore. Too much of a risk of their part if it doesn't sell.
Even if they were online exclusives.

Reaction score
I'd still have brought the Company of Thorin Oakenshield - would have saved me a lot of time and effort customising the missing figures.

Reaction score
Could be that retail support was long gone, by the time those figures were ready to ship. Once someone sees that a line isn't performing well, I can't think of why they would continue buy anymore. Too much of a risk of their part if it doesn't sell.
Even if they were online exclusives.
I certainly don't know the economics of it all, but I was always under the impression that to get a figure to the stage where they were showing them at Toy Fair, they're already several thousands of dollars into it for development, sculpting, etc. So in order to recoup those costs it would be in their best interest to sell wherever they could. But again, I'm not basing this on any concrete knowledge. And perhaps even though they'd be losing thousands, the costs of making molds, manufacturing, etc. would outweigh any possible recouping of costs? But I still thing TBD wanted too much money from the retailers for the Hobbit line and that's why very few chains actually carried it. Again, pure speculation on my part. I just really hate that company.

Reaction score
Yeah - I'm sooooo not impressed that they couldn't get any of the unreleased (but sculpted) figures out to retail... :(

I've been thinking lots about the hobbit line of late... and I'm still hoping that another company will take over the license and produce the characters / figures that were sought after, but never made...

Reaction score
How close together were the movies? I mean really, you couldn't get "all" the figures made out within a 3 Movie arc? That right there seems strange. TBH

Reaction score
I'm not defending TBD, but I know there was a problem when it went from being two movies to being a trilogy. That's why we got Legolas and Tauriel in the first wave, even though they weren't in the first movie. The figures were already slated for release and it was too late to change it. That said, it doesn't really explain the problems later on. Not getting the rest of the Dwarves out is ridiculous. And I loved how TBD released the same figures two years in a row in different packaging, wondered why nobody wanted them, and ultimately blamed "lack of retail support." It's nuts.

Reaction score
I'm not defending TBD, but I know there was a problem when it went from being two movies to being a trilogy. That's why we got Legolas and Tauriel in the first wave, even though they weren't in the first movie. The figures were already slated for release and it was too late to change it. That said, it doesn't really explain the problems later on. Not getting the rest of the Dwarves out is ridiculous. And I loved how TBD released the same figures two years in a row in different packaging, wondered why nobody wanted them, and ultimately blamed "lack of retail support." It's nuts.
the blaming of us was the most infuriating part! WE didn't ask you to pack the same figure in four different packages in the first wave. WE didn't ask to have NO bad guys in the first 6" wave most likely leaving kids to scratch their heads and go "so who am I supposed to fight?" WE didn't get several products to the final stage them show them off and then go "nope, not going to release them." WE weren't responsible for deciding the pricing or whatever reason it was that so few retailers wanted to carry the line. WE didn't decide to not advertise the line. But yeah, it's totally the consumers' fault.

The only comfort I take in buying these figures off of eBay now is those ****ers at tbd aren't seeing a penny of it.

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this in this thread already so forgive me, but I actually went to Toy Fair in 2014 and got to see the ultimately unreleased stuff up close. The dwarves, Bard, and Beorn all looked fantastic. It made it sting even more when they never made it out.

Reaction score
I know it get even more unlikely the further out we get, and no new movies in sight. But I would think that TBD has some type of relationship with an etailer, for a box set of the Dwarfs at least.

Reaction score
I keep hoping that is exactly whats being discussed ever time I see a new post here.
Such a shame to not finish off the company and at least release the Bard and Beorn while their at it!

Reaction score
I keep hoping that is exactly whats being discussed ever time I see a new post here.
Such a shame to not finish off the company and at least release the Bard and Beorn while their at it!
Considering the fact they no longer hold the toy license, I think this is never going to happen, unfortunately. I don't even know if it would be possible from a legal standpoint unless another company picks up the license and is able to obtain the sculpts from The Bridge Direct. It's a shame as the unreleased figures really looked quite nice, but I grew to dislike the subsequent films for many of the same reasons as the Star Wars prequels and would probably have passed on them anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Considering the fact they no longer hold the toy license, I think this is never going to happen, unfortunately. I don't even know if it would be possible from a legal standpoint unless another company picks up the license and is able to obtain the sculpts from The Bridge Direct. It's a shame as the unreleased figures really looked quite nice, but I grew to dislike the subsequent films for many of the same reasons as the Star Wars prequels and would probably have passed on them anyway.
I didn't know they didn't have the license anymore. You're right, these will never happen unfortunately. Boooo. Do you know if the license expired, or was it not renewed because of their poor handling of the line when they had it?