The Bridge Direct - The Hobbit

GNT

Reaction score
Looks like the company "The Bridge Direct" will be making the Hobbit figures for next years film...

Warner Bros. Consumer Products announced today that it has awarded the worldwide master toy and game licensing rights for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again to The Bridge Direct, Inc. (thebridgedirect.com), the global children's consumer products company. The Bridge will develop an array of products inspired by the two films being directed by Peter Jackson - who previously brought Middle-earth to life with the award-winning Lord of the Rings trilogy - including action figures, playsets, and role play accessories.

Timed to reach consumers prior to the December 14, 2012 release of the first film, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Bridge will debut a multi-category toy line. The battle begins with Basic Action Figures, Adventure Packs, Beast Packs, and highly detailed Collector Figures. Fans can become real-life heroes with premium role play items including a Basic Sting Sword, a Basic Orcrist Sword, a Dwarven Battle Axe, and a Deluxe Sting Sword that features a blue glow just like in the film, bringing the thrill and the fantasy of the two films to life. The Bridge will reveal the 2012 product line to key retail partners in the coming weeks.

Reaction score
It's odd they went with a different company then the previous figures.
I'm guessing with a no name like this the figures will be forgettable anyways, though if they turn out with decent articulation, sculpt, and paint apps I may be interested, but only if they're 1"18 scale.

GNT

Reaction score
Don't expect SA and don't expect them to be in the same scale as the LOTR figures as well. I forsee everyone getting a major let down in the next year.

Reaction score
I was hoping for 4" figures but they'll probably look like crap. Missed opportunity.

Justin Bieber toys? Really? -_-'

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this line until we actually see how The Bridge Direct approach this property - Granted, I'm no fan of Justin Bieber action figures, but I doubt very much that they'll be treated in a similar manner. I feel it's still too early to determine the quality of their Hobbit action figures - and as Toybiz no longer exists, there's no way Warners could give them the property even if they wished them to.

I'll reserve judgement until we see some images of the action figure line itself - until then, it's fingers crossed... :) If they do turn out to be similar to Justin Bieber figures, then I'll be proved wrong, and stand corrected!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would hope for 3 3/4 inch set of figures.
Who knows maybe they will go for it and become a force in the action figure market.
Man I need to read the book again.

Reaction score
I am actually quite bummed about this too. The Toybiz figures were my favorite thing to collect with the LOTR trilogy. The Bridge Direct website does not say the words "action figure" anywhere. I will not be buying if they are simply a smaller scale non-articulated "figurine." :(

Reaction score
Hobbit figure license awarded to...

http://www.figures.com/forums/news/14185-hobbit-toy-license-awarded-bridge.html

Can't say I've heard of them, but apparently two of their head guys are from Play Along (made Armies of Middle Earth) an Toybiz (Awesome 6 inch line for LOTR)

Gleaning some info from their press release I could see them doing both AOME type scale and the "collector" scale figures.

Even though it doesn't say in the release, I wonder if it covers LOTR also like the Lego license. I personally loved AOME, it was great even though it started late in the game and wasn't allowed to make any larger figure/creature easily detachable from the base due to conflicts with Toybiz's license.

Reaction score
I looked up the company (whom I had never heard of) at The Bridge (as sighted in the article) and the site says they are a supplier not a manufacurer and that they are also consultants to manufacturuers (as seen here on thier services page: The Bridge)

They also say they help get new brands to market.

Anyway sounds like they are more of a middle man than a toy company.

Makes me wonder if they are planning to change up thier role, but it's strange that a supplier/consltant would say they were making the toys for (potentally) such a big movie.

Anyway just kind of weird.

Edit, something interesting as linked from Bidge's news section to an article about the Hobbit Licence in Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044008

It actually says: "Retail partners will be shown the first line of products in the coming weeks."

That was fast. Probably a misquote, but interesting that the company links an article that says that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
To be able to release toys next year they would have to already be in the prototype phase. So it would make sense they are showing them to retailers now. I just hope that the big 3 get on boards even though movie toys have been pretty bad sellers the past couple years.

Reaction score
Whereas, I hope a Hobbit action figure line gets made, is solid quality, and has good distribution, I still have Sideshow and Lego to fall back for my Hobbit/LOTR stuff.

Reaction score
Based on the trailer there are some decent character designs, I'll have to wait though to see how the figures actually turn out before I commit this line.

Reaction score
Was hoping to see some product from this line at UK toy fair, but it looks like the only LOTR pics have been Lego so far.

Reaction score
I think it's still too early. Legos are pretty easy to design since the tooling is 99% finished before they even begin.

I don't expect to see any prelim pics of Hobbit action figures till Spring and maybe some finished stuff at SDCC. I don't expect to see these on store shelves till after the Fall resets. I know these movie lines usually have to stay pretty tight until more movie pics/news is released.

Reaction score
BBTS has the initial waves up for pre-order:

The Hobbit Toys, Action Figures, and Collectibles

Looks like the 3.75 scale part of the line will have many options: Singles, two-packs, beast packs, collector packs, and Goblin Battle set. Who knows what the "collector pack" is or the deluxe collector 6" figure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I saw this as well. Can't wait to see what the 6" figures will look like. I'll probably be passing on the 3.75" figures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree - not so interested in 3 3/4 inch, but 6-inch figures all the way! :p They hopefully will go nicely with ToyBiz's previous LOTRs offerings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am so happy to hear that there will be a 3 3/4 in line. Hopefully they will be SA and nice sculpted. I can wait to see these
And hopefully they have will have the license for LOTR movies as well

Reaction score
Yeah I'd like to see how the 4" figures turn out, if they look as good as Red Faction fig do I'll buy them.

Reaction score
Very happy to hear there will be 6" stuff. Not a big fan of 4" lines anymore, obvious exceptions being SW and GI Joe. But that's only because there's no 6" option available for those lines.

Reaction score
Very happy to hear there will be 6" stuff. Not a big fan of 4" lines anymore, obvious exceptions being SW and GI Joe. But that's only because there's no 6" option available for those lines.
I hear ya, only thing I collect in 3 3/4 is Star Wars (and maybe some Marvel from time to time). A big selling point for me is how will they match up in scale and quality when compared to the Toy Biz LOTR line. If they are close, it will be like a continuation of that line, rather than diving into something all new. I am much more likely to open the wallet if that is the case.

Reaction score
I hear ya, only thing I collect in 3 3/4 is Star Wars (and maybe some Marvel from time to time). A big selling point for me is how will they match up in scale and quality when compared to the Toy Biz LOTR line. If they are close, it will be like a continuation of that line, rather than diving into something all new. I am much more likely to open the wallet if that is the case.
I only collect SW in 3.75" as well. Everything else I have is 6".

Reaction score
BigBadToystore has some listings for new Hobbit toys. No images or very specific names yet, but here at least are some of the pricepoints we can expect and prices look to be roughly on par with SW ...

The Hobbit 3.75″ Beast Pack Series 01 – Case of 4 – $87.99
The Hobbit 3.75″ Collector Pack – $29.99
The Hobbit 3.75″ Figure Series 01 – Case of 6 – $59.99
The Hobbit 3.75″ Figure Two-Pack Series 01 – Case of 4 – $67.99
The Hobbit 3.75″ Goblin Battle Set – $44.99
The Hobbit 6″ Deluxe Collector Figure 01 – $21.99
The Hobbit 6″ Figure Series 01 – Case of 6 – $99.99
The Hobbit Deluxe Sting Sword – $21.99
The Hobbit Dwarven Battle Axe – $14.99
The Hobbit Role Play Sting Sword – $10.99

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now if the quality of this 3.75" line is also on par with SW figures... I just might be in trouble. I was able to refrain from buying any Lord of Rings figures partially because their larger (than 3.75") scale was disappointing to me. As proved to be the case, that scale was a limiting factor when it came time to produce some of the more imposing inhabitants of Middle Earth. ToyBiz's Balrog could have been quite formidable had only Gandalf been a few inches shorter, and the Fell Beast might actually have been able to fly into battle if its Black Riders were of smaller scale. In addition to allowing for more accurate beast:figure ratios, a well crafted 3.75" line would be all the more inspiring for army builders. To the credit of The Bridge Direct, it looks like they at least realize that 3.75" the right way to go if they truly plan on going as bold as this franchise will allow them to, but their lack of experience still leaves my expectations on the low side. Regardless - can't wait to see how these figures (in both 3.75" and 6" scale) turn out!

Reaction score
3.75 singles Wave 1:
2x Bilbo Baggins
1x Gandalf the Grey
1x Thorin Oakenshield
1x Legolas
1x Grinnah

3.75 2-packs wave 1:
1x Bilbo Baggins & Gollum
1x Kili & Fili
1x Balin & Dwalin
1x Legolas & Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly)

Deluxe Packs:
Bolg and Gandalf

Beast Pack:
Fimbul and warg

Goblin King Battle Playset

6 inch

Basic wave 1:
1x Bilbo Baggins
1x Gandalf the Grey
2x Thorin Oakenshield
1x Legolas
1x Tauriel

wave 1 deluxe collector figure:
Azog

Last edited:
Reaction score
So no single Gollum so far, seems odd.
Also I can't believe they're doing a Tauriel figure, especially in the first wave. Articulation must not bee that good.

Based on the cast list they could do several figures from previous movies too.

Be keeping my eye on this line to see how it turns out.

Reaction score
Also I can't believe they're doing a Tauriel figure, especially in the first wave. Articulation must not bee that good.
Sorry, not trying to be a jerk or anbything, but I am not following this train of logic. What does character selection have to do with articulation? Can you explain your reasoning here?