The Book of Boba Fett

Reaction score
Just read on screen rant this guy might be getting his own Disney + series due to the overwhelming reaction to his appearance in last week’s episode of the Mandalorian. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm definitely divided, I mean do we really need two shows focusing on a Mandalorian lead? I also not sure how i feel about it being set in the time time as Mando, I always though it would be better during his prime sometime between ROTS and ESB. However this was back when everyone was much younger and we'd see familiars pop up like Bossk 4-Lom etc.

That said, setting it during this time also has potential as Boba possibly being/becoming the new "Mandalore" and leading the Mandalorians into to a new era. The only down side is he's much older now so I don't see much action coming out of him. IDK At least this new era is an unknown to us compared to setting it during the Empires reign, so the potential for something new is there.

I'd certainly be lying if I said I wasn't interested at all.

Reaction score
I'm beyond conflicted. Boba is my favorite SW character. Of course he was done wrong in ROTJ and this has always been a point of contention. To make up for it and justify why he's deemed the greatest hunter in the galaxy, we have novels and comics and video game. Now they're no longer canon mostly. Then we get Jango, which is basically a way of showing us what Boba would be like in action. Just...it's not Boba. Then we got Mando, which is basically a way of showing us what Boba would be like in action. Just...it's not Boba. I've wanted to see more of Boba for years, it's a dream. But I don't think I want a whole show of him. That may be too much. I want more Fett because we got SO little, but an entire series dedicated I also think might be too much. He takes delicacy, IMO, the right portion. Not too much, not too little, just right. Especially with the Mando also going on.

And now we have Boba in the current canon again, at least loosely echoing just the general old legends idea of him having escaped the Sarlacc. That's probably the only thing old EU and current Fett will share now.

See the darn issue is, with the Mando...why even bother with a Boba show then? Will it really be all that different? I mean, you could even say, why did they make the Mando then if now they want to make Boba? Shouldn't they have just started with a Fett show? Were they REALLY so unaware of his popularity?

I just like the idea of Boba coming and going in and out of Mando better. I'm sure I probably would like a Fett show if made, but I just feel it unnecessary now. Plus this I believe retains the spirit of the character better. I mean he GOT popular BECAUSE he was mysterious. He's basically the man with no name archetype. Sometimes, with Fett, less is more. I just think really it boils down to we want to see Fett be BA. It's superficial, but that's okay really, but sometimes the more you focus on a BA role the more human and less statuesque BA they become. But if you have Fett weaving through seasons of Mando, sometimes coming in as a rival or antagonist and sometimes as a reluctant allie or even (perhaps) eventual partner for a few missions throughout seasons (never knowing which side he'll be on this time when he shows)...that just fits him SO much better IMO. It's morally ambiguous. It's a way of showing and exploring him more, but not so much it's destroying that enigma aura that granted him his massive fandom in the first place.

So my vote, I say, is no. I don't want it. Just do it on Mando. But at the very same time, I know I'd be the first person to watch it if they did do it. And I don't want to be negative on a hypothetical show that could be good or bad. I just lean more toward the best option is stick with him as a regular off and on supporting role on Mando.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don’t mind if Fett makes appearances in movies, tv series, but not his own show as an anti hero. It’s garbage and a cash grab. Keep him how he is and what’s made him the iconic figure he is, a ruthless bounty Hunter, with unknown everything basically.

Reaction score
I think pre-ANH would be the most interesting setting for a fett series..
they could include Alden-as-Han, at a time when they both worked for jabba.
maybe set up a rivalry between the two of them, just to give context to what happened in ESB.

Reaction score
1st thought is I hate the idea as this means Boba has to be a “good” guy & just sound to similar to the Mandolorian as I was hoping he would be a supporting character or the series bad guy.
But you're right.

Disney would never promote a negative lead. Look what they did to Maleficent... they twisted it backwards so she's miss-understood to make her good.

Even Kylo... they tried so hard in Epi 8-9 to try make us forget who he is in Epi 7 for the sake of marketable redemption.

Reaction score
He's not exactly the bad evil guy either though, he's a simple guy trying to make is way in the Galaxy. Putting food on the table like anyone else which may mean working for the Empire from tie to time as the pay the best. Being very good at your job doesn't make you a bad guy or evil, does it? Well unless you're Jeffery Dahmer.

In the old Mandalorian code they had honor. And while it's not canon if it weren't for Jaster saving Jango and raising him, there would be no Boba.

Reaction score
Well ultimately I will wait to see an actual idea of what this will be......

many of us didn’t want to see him as a kid, & probably don’t want to see him in his day to day life getting fast food for the kids & dealing with cultural clashes with his sand wife. ;)

Reaction score
While I understand that Disney now owns Star Wars and what's 90% of their programming include? "Kid characters"
Like it or not at some point we'll more than likely be be there.

Reaction score
I think pre-ANH would be the most interesting setting for a fett series..
they could include Alden-as-Han, at a time when they both worked for jabba.
maybe set up a rivalry between the two of them, just to give context to what happened in ESB.
You know...l don't hate this idea. In fact, l quite like it. You could be onto something. I don't know why my mind just immediately went to post-ROTJ Fett. Probably just because it's fresh on everyone's mind.

We know they aren't opposed to using MAIN characters in shows because Obi Wan is coming. I'm not even opposed to major player serials...l just am not wild about the Mando being buttloaded with cameos. But if the premise makes sense TO have a key role appear (I.E: Tarkin in RO, Boba in a story about Mando's, perhaps Owen Lars in Obi Wan, Jabba at the Podrace even adds up to me) l am fine with it. It has to be organic. Don't just shove Chewie into ROTS and make him besties with Yoda because they're on his home planet. And of course l am fine with main roles if the literal story is about that role.

So l think this setting works if you make it almost a 50/50 split between Fett and Solo. Since l believe the intent was clearly a sequel but the film underperformed at the box office, this could be the acting "sequel" to Solo. I say don't make an on-going like Mando. It's a limited series like Obi-Wan. I have my issues with the Solo film but overall l mostly enjoyed and l think most fans feel the same.

Plus there are quite a few roles that wouldn't be shoohorning to include:

Jabba makes blatant sense...though l would be so disappointed with him being inevitably CGI and not a puppet. What can ya do? I'd live with it. I assume Crumb and Bib would vicariously appear as well just by association but not really be in-depth characters. Although, I kind of would be intrigued by an episode where Bib has a real role. This could offer deeper exploration into some background Palace favorites though like Ree-Yees, Amanaman, and Tessek. Plus countless cameos.

Lando and Chewbacca would be utterly "Duh!" Though I wouldn't mind if Lando is very limited or not included either. He's a role that IMO is an in-between. If he shows, I'm fine with it. If he doesn't, I'm also fine with.

Greedo actually kind of makes some sense as he and Solo certainly know each other before the cantina incident. You could make it sort of like Han always belittled poor Greedo and he wanted his revenge. Oddly, this could pseudo-mend the "Who shot first" argument because the root of that is how Han is portrayed and his growth. If you make it that Han always was basically a jackass bully to Greedo, no matter who shot first, it doesn't paint Han in a positive light and retains his character growth from scummy and morally ambiguous pirate to hero in ANH.

The ESB Hunters: Now here's my play with them. Leave out IG-88, 4-LOM, and Zuckuss. Reason being...Mando already did an IG droid, it already did what's in essence 4-LOM with Zero, and regrettably leave out Zuckuss just because he's almost always unanimously with 4-LOM. Use Dengar and Bossk here to avoid retreading things the Mando show has already basically done.

Speculative roles that don't overly make sense: I could see Xizor (I constantly talk about this...because I just want it so bad) coming back to canon in this. He fits. I don't want Maul...not one bit...but I could see Qi'ra returning and Crimson Dawn. This is why I could see Xizor because he runs a rival, Black Sun, and it all connects loosely to Jabba too.

Now I also think this is integral that if they did do this...make Han be slighted or even screwed by the budding Rebellion. Because frankly, one of Solo's biggest flaws IMO is it basically does Han's story arch in ANH before ANH which in essence effectively renders that arch not nearly as powerful. So render him back to zero, make him a scummy pirate. Not unethical, not a villain, just questionable. That way you can rejuvenate his ANH turn-around growth as a character.

But here's the biggest issue...if you folks actually indulged me and read all my crap (which if so, much obliged)...

How much of Boba did I talk about in all of that? Little! I don't know what I'd really DO with him in it. But clearly he has to be the antagonist.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That actually could be a good series, not set specifically on Boba Fett or Han Solo, but a series following a different character each episode that ultimately centers on the Crime element. If it were set pre ANH then we wouldn't have to worry about running into all those certain characters.
However, going to Tatooine as often as Mando does could pose a problem that early.

I think that's why Solo didn't interest me as much, it was missing the major elements I though it would/should of had.

Reaction score
While I understand that Disney now owns Star Wars and what's 90% of their programming include? "Kid characters"
Like it or not at some point we'll more than likely be be there.
I think so far the only "kid" from Disney is that one what was using the Force to shovel cow **** at the end of TLJ...which actually sums that movie up pretty good.

GNT

Reaction score
I don't mind seeing Fett appear in movies and shows but I don't think he needs his own series atm. Like others have said it'll be pretty similar to The Mandalorian :(

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who just want background to those characters, and what brought them to the point we first see them in the movie. Like what was it like for Uncle Owen to farm moisture for 40 years, and is that why he seems so angry all the time? They could really delve into the mechanic of what it takes to create moisture in a desert and how to sell it what doesn't evaporate in the sweltering heat.

Might also introduce secondary characters like Luke's cousin Duke Skytreader, who married Owen's wife's Brother and what it was like for someone who didn't get into moisture farming. Luke was always jealous of Duke because he had all the nice things and was allowed to hangout with scum and villainy.

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who just want background to those characters, and what brought them to the point we first see them in the movie. Like what was it like for Uncle Owen to farm moisture for 40 years, and is that why he seems so angry all the time? They could really delve into the mechanic of what it takes to create moisture in a desert and how to sell it what doesn't evaporate in the sweltering heat.

Might also introduce secondary characters like Luke's cousin Duke Skytreader, who married Owen's wife's Brother and what it was like for someone who didn't get into moisture farming. Luke was always jealous of Duke because he had all the nice things and was allowed to hangout with scum and villainy.
I mean sometimes, in the case of roles like Owen, really...the truth is, what's there really to know? Sure you could tell it, but it's probably not that interesting. So what I like to imagine is like a sitcom. The moisture farm neighborhood, the young cast of wacky kids that hang out at Toshi Station and the curmudgeon Uncle Owen. "One of these days, Beru! BANG ZOOM! You're going to the DEATH STAR! RIGHT IN THE KISSER!" That one time when Biggs jumped a Bantha in his T-16! Will Luke ever get with Camie...or will she stay with Fixer constantly saying "How yo doin?" That one season where Uncle Owen was obsessed with his Life Day pole! That strange foreign Jawa roomie the Lars family takes in that causing hijinx. Turns out "Utini" translates to "Did I do that?" Remember, just remember, address the bartender in Mos Espa...proper. He only takes direct orders. "NO BLUE MILK FOR YOU!" "Wha cho' talking 'bout, Wuher?"

pod

Reaction score
Best story for someone like Fett, is going with the formula that worked with R1 - put him in a Shadows of the Empire style story tying directly into the OT. Make him a star of ep. 4.5, or a 3.99 with Jabba and Han.

But the Mandalorian is already just a Boba Fett series with a different name.

Reaction score
I think the only way to make Fett work would be to make him the ruthless Hunter it was implied that he was, and make it more darker where he almost like a Predator taking down his targets. Possibly do it more in the style of a non gory slasher rather than what the Mandalorian is.

And keep him a Bounty Hunter not a quest seeker.

pod

Reaction score
I think the only way to make Fett work would be to make him the ruthless Hunter it was implied that he was, and make it more darker where he almost like a Predator taking down his targets. Possibly do it more in the style of a non gory slasher rather than what the Mandalorian is.

And keep him a Bounty Hunter not a quest seeker.
Yeah, that would go over well on Disney+.(not)

I just hope it is set in the OT (pre-sarlacc) era.

Reaction score
Perhaps not, but maybe they should have also though about that before buying out Fox which has 1000's of R rated content. IMO part of what's wrong with Disney is their "family" motto when it comes to Movies, and then buying out other Studios. It's fine to offer content to children but when you allow it to shackle you it can create problems.

pod

Reaction score
Perhaps not, but maybe they should have also though about that before buying out Fox which has 1000's of R rated content. IMO part of what's wrong with Disney is their "family" motto when it comes to Movies, and then buying out other Studios. It's fine to offer content to children but when you allow it to shackle you it can create problems.
They should put all of their Fox acquisitions on Hulu. I think only a few of the Fox movies and shows have ended up on Dis+. Family friendly stuff and kids shows.

Having Hulu as an outlet for more general/adult content is kind of ideal for Disney. They can more directly compete with Netflix on two fronts that way. But I don't imagine we'll ever see Star Wars content made that would only be appropriate for Hulu, and not Dis+.

Reaction score
Disney has more than enough ways to make non kid entertainment, they own several studios & have been making such projects for decades

Many of which will find avenues on something other than Disney + or the future Disney + Max or whatever they call it.

Reaction score
I will say, there have been examples of R content coming out of Disney licensed material. My favorite live-action show of all-time is probably Daredevil. That has some hard R material in it and it was made under Disney reign. I'll never forget Punisher shooting the Kitchen Irish Mobster point-blank in the face with a shotgun...and it shows it in every gruesome detail...or Fisk literally decapitating a man with a freaking car door. All the Netflix Marvel shows had some very hard R adult content, visuals, and themes. The issue is, they had to go through Netflix to do it. Doing roles like Daredevil, Punisher, and Jessica Jones in a PG-13 tone just wouldn't be true to their characters, so much so they might as well just not to them at all. So they found a sort of around-the-bend way to do them...but in the proper adult way they required and deserved.

The two questions that need asked then are: Does a SW Boba Fett need to be Rated R to truly convey the character proper? Punisher? Absolutely! Fett? I'm not sure. I'm not opposed to it, in fact I'd prefer it, but I DON'T 100% think it has to be in order to be quality and an accurate portrayal of intergalactic bounty hunting viciousness. But secondly, should SW, even at its darkest...ever be full-on Rated R level? I just don't know. I'm intrigued by it, for sure, but I could see some saying a Tarantino level bloodbath fight is going too far for this franchise. Marvel is more diverse in its genres, it can more easily get away with doing both family friendly superhero content and deep, dark, psychological and violent adult content within the same universe. I mean Marvel in a franchise that puts out a fantasy film, a science-fiction comedy, and a political thriller all under an action superhero banner in one year. I think SW is a little more retrained. And while that dark stuff does, assuredly, exist in the SW universe...it's more implied than featured.

It's like my other favorite show...Batman: The Animated Series. Due to the nature of American televised animated programing...they were really working against the censors. I could see an argument made that SW should, more often, be portrayed more like this. BTAS often implied, usually strongly, the gruesome and horrific outcomes as opposed to showing it...because they couldn't. But to any adult viewer, the implication is so obvious it's really just stating what has occurred without gratuities. It still makes the content extremely dark in tone, but doesn't make it graphic in nature. The case of, for example, you don't see it happen...but you know someone was brutally killed/murdered. Maybe even know details as to how they were. It's the sort of implication of...what's worse? Showing Jango get decapitated and Anakin lose almost all his limbs and set fire or showing Anakin about to kill children but never directly showing the action? What's more adult? I guess that's, really, up to interpretation.

But despite Disney even having the option to do it, me even kind of wanting it, I don't see it happening. It's really hard for me to see something like Daredevil ever ported to Disney + and not just due to the Netflix involvement. Like I just can't seem them, perhaps unfortunately, ever doing a SW show that could only be shown on Hulu due to severely more mature themes and content.

Last edited:

pod

Reaction score
Well, Boba Fett was cool enough for everyone with OT level violence. And I can't really imagine what people want that's beyond the violence we've seen in the Mandalorian. We'll see if this amounts to anything, or just another project in development forever waiting for the right hook. It's not like they haven't already looked at Boba Fett projects before.

Reaction score
If they do make a Fett spin off, I'm hoping it's directly after Clone Wars young adult Fett or directly before ESB. Either way I have no want to see an old Fett roaming Tattooine after getting out of the Sarlacc.
I think it would be the same as Mando, a greater goal with little bounties along the way. Either way I'd watch :)

Reaction score
If they do make a Fett spin off, I'm hoping it's directly after Clone Wars young adult Fett or directly before ESB. Either way I have no want to see an old Fett roaming Tattooine after getting out of the Sarlacc.
I think it would be the same as Mando, a greater goal with little bounties along the way. Either way I'd watch :)
Well exactly, that's my thought. Sure I'd watch both, but like...if they wanted to make a Fett series (which they did, first a solo Fett movie too)...why even make the Mando then? Wouldn't a Fett show just be repeating a lot of general ideas on the Mando already? I mean, no Baby Yoda of course, but how different would it really be?

Reaction score
The Mando series could have been the scrapped Bobby Fett movie, spread across several episodes.
Has it ever been revealed what Josh Trank had outlined for the movie?

Reaction score
True, who knows what their initial plans were. Honestly Mando is basically exactly like Fett - Mandalorian and a Bounty Hunter.
Plus two birds with one stone tossing Fett into the show.

Reaction score
I’ll wait to see what they do with Fett in the Mandolorian series. Then we can quote all the above posts while we demand a Fett series ;)

Reaction score
I don't think we'll see Fett again in the Mando show. I think that brief cameo with Temura Morrison is all we'll get. it's enough to (erase his horribly lame death scene in ROTJ and) prove that he survived the sarlaac, which is now canon. that scene has served its purpose.

instead I think Fett's Armor will become a plot point, unto itself. ie: season 2 will end with Mando suffering a defeat at the hands of Gideon. Gideon will take the child, and he will ALSO take Mando's shiny beskar suit. Mando will be utterly defeated on a cliffhanger ending to season 2....

....but wait! Our Mando has a second set of armor up his sleeve! (in season 3 he will don Fett's Armor and use it to rescue the child, and defeat Gideon once and for all).

Reaction score
Or not! This show wouldn’t have to be just like Mando. It could be what Mando would’ve been if he hadn’t found the Child. Anyway.

Reaction score
Well the real question is: what is this?

Could this be simple the subtitle for Mando Season 3? I mean it could be multiple things. It could be what comes of the Mando show, now focusing on Boba exclusively. It could be the Mando show but the focus is still on Mando post-Grogu and Fett is now a pseudo-antagonist. Is it it's own show? Is it ongoing or a mini-series? If it's his own show, why wasn't it announced at the whatever it was with all the others? If it's its own show, could Mando show up ON it? Like I've said elsewhere, title seems to imply, to me anyway, an anthology series. Could this bounce back and forth on the timeline telling prior Fett adventures in conjunction with present Fett?

Truth is, from what I understand, it could be any of the above. Maybe I've missed something announced, but from what I know at this point in time...we just don't know enough to make a call.

Reaction score
Personally think it will actually be a book.
Morrison supposedly signed on for other shows but doubtful he’ll have his own series. I can see cameos in Mando, Obi or Ahsoka.

Reaction score
You could be on to something! I never thought about it potentially being a LITERAL book. It would be a possible explaination for why they didn't announce it as a show the other week.

Reaction score
Nah... They’d never advertise a book on a streaming network in such a crazy expensive way.

They didn’t announce it as they wanted to preserve mystery about both Fett and Fennec surviving the finale... or even that their quest with Mando would be complete — thus freeing them to pursue other pursuits.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can’t really decipher exactly what it will be. But at least we know we are going to see more of him! A lot more!