The Black Series 6" - General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
I'm interested in the Darth Maul figure. I'll pass on that Luke and wait for another version of him.

Reaction score
Definitely an interesting development with this announcement. I expected a leak or something, but not a full blown confirmation from them. I guess they will probably want to build some hype going in seeing as they have a lot of people to answer to given the way things have been headed so far. Not sure how I feel about this line yet. On one hand, I agree with TheRealDub's prospect that it amounts to much less spending overall during a year, but on the other hand I still feel like I'll collect the 3-3/4 inch figures, so I would hate to inflate my budget by an extra $200 a year in that regard. I guess I'll have to wait and see how these look in hand and with each other.

Reaction score
Okay, I have to admit that the 6" line, just from what I have seen of course, looks amazing. I am not collecting it since I just can not start another line but this gives me hope that the 3 3/4" line will look incredible. The look of the packaging is stellar, clean, sharp, a bit of nostalgia but totally new as well.
Hopefully, but Hasbro saying the 3 3/4" line is for kids now and the 6" line is for adults makes me more than a bit worried about what the smaller line will look like.

Reaction score
This will help me not get bored with being picky on the 3.75" scale. I usually start being picky, but I get bored and grab whatever variant I keep seeing that I didn't originally want to buy when there's nothing else out there.

However, what does a $19.99 R2-D2 look like? I'm guessing lights and sounds are out if this is supposed to be collector-oriented (nothing says collector's grade like inevitable battery acid). Maybe a couple of pack-ins like a Leia hologram, a bunch of tools, and the bar stuff from Jedi? If this follows the Marvel Legends model and we get at least 1 variant per wave, there will definitely be a Dagobah version of R2 that's dirty in some assortments.

Reaction score
So much for the hard hitting questions about the 4" line. News sites just went from "Oh I am going to put DDP over the fire and find what the hell is really going on." to "Ohhhhhhhh pretty new 6" line. I think I'll ask about that instead."

Reaction score
Heck I want the 16th cantina alien. I need to save more money and I have no interest in the six inch scale. I started the 3 3/4 in the 1970s. Only interested in that scale. Want a few more aliens from the 3 3/4 line but can't army build the way I want at the continuing prices.

Don't think it is nice or smart to belittle any customers who have helped to pay your salary over the years.

Reaction score
Hopefully, but Hasbro saying the 3 3/4" line is for kids now and the 6" line is for adults makes me more than a bit worried about what the smaller line will look like.
Yeah, I just read that too. I will just have to wait and see because these press releases and commentary always come with nutty claims that never really pan out as they sound. I just don't think they listen to themselves half the time. Anyway, I hope they don't make the 3 3/4" line suck as there will have the whole collecting community coming at them with torches and pitchforks.

Reaction score
Me too. The wording of that article makes me think that Hasbro is just no longer interested in marketing to people like myself. Pretty frustrating, really.
Yeah, but they're probably frustrated too.o

Many fans (not saying you, MKOS) have been outright hostile to them in the last few years, and acting entitled and some go on and on about specific Hasbro employees - some people even post what are basically threats. At the end of the day, they're just people doing a job. And when folks don't have perspective on what this is (GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH TOYS) and don't have some gratitude (doesn't have to be 24-7, obviously), that has to grind on you. Just imagine if you tried your absolute best, within the confines of the real world, to please some audience, and the majority volume of the feedback you heard was, "You suck." Hasbro employees aren't politicians. They didn't sign up for that ****. They signed up because they love toys and business.

Reaction score
So Mods, can we get a Black Series area so that us 6" nuts can get to dreaming?

Reaction score
if that's the actual toy of Luke and the rest of the line looks like this then I might seriously need to get 5 more jobs just to keep up with the hobby or seriously debate over if I want to collect only random 6" figures and the 3.75" line or stay with just one of the lines. the head sculpt looks great... $19.99 is a bit much for my price point but for the quality of the figure I'll be into getting a few. the first wave sounds great and now I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest at TF in 2 weeks. (wish i was going but I know Scum will have great coverage).

i wonder though who the other 9 figures will be. I can almost bet on the following:

Darth Vader
Threepio
Han Solo
Princess Leia
Anakin Skywalker PT
Obi Wan Kenobi PT
Stormtrooper
Chewbacca
Luke Skywalker either ESB or ROTJ

Reaction score
i can't see Hasbro dropping the ball on the 3.75" series and giving us CW / OT articulation figures like the recent Naboo and Bespin battlepacks. i would imagine that SW figures if they are only going to be geared to kids will be similiar to the AOTC / Saga waves and have either over the top accessories or stay the same with perhaps a return to either coins or mini holo figures or battle card games etc.

Reaction score
Where are you getting a number from?
There's only going to 8 this first year:

"Priced at $19.99 each, eight figures are planned for 2013 — Hasbro will primarily draw characters from the original Star Wars trilogy of films while also bringing in key players from the prequels."

So, there's only four others to speculate on for 2013.

My guess would be Han, Boba Fett, C-3PO and Vader.

Reaction score
Me too. The wording of that article makes me think that Hasbro is just no longer interested in marketing to people like myself. Pretty frustrating, really.
I suspect Hasbro doesn't want to abandon us, so much as they want to generate a whole new market (and revenue stream). I guess if this generates enough continued interest in SW to allow Hasbro to keep releasing a few new 3 3/4" figures per year, I'm OK with it.

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. I would much prefer Mosep to the thirty-millionth clone or Luke.

Reaction score
I think this is awesome news. That Luke looks pretty sweet. I can't wait to see the rest of the 6 inch figures and I'm dying to see what the 3 inch figures are and what their packaging will look like.

Reaction score
6"? $20 per figure? Another sandtrooper? No thanks, Hasbro.

I foresee the black line having the same problems as the main line (terrible distribution, bad character choices) only compounded by the outrageous price. I sincerely hope that this won't be the only option for collectors, and that quality figures continue to be made in the main line.

Reaction score
News of a six inch scale is disappointing... To me, the appeal of the modern Star Wars line has ALWAYS been retro in that its only the small scale figures that can realistically be released along side with ships and what not... This new line will definitely distract Hasbro from the line which they have damn near perfected with regards to figure execution in terms of articulation and sculpt...

Maybe the line will do well... I don't know.

But it certainly won't appeal much to me. So, yes, I am sad as I know that there is simply no way the classic 3 3/4 inch line won't now take a backseat -- meaning that the depth of the line will be woefully decreased as it will now mainly be focused on (Bah!) over-produced heroes and villains... Yeah, maybe not a sad day for Star Wars. But definitely a sad day for Star Wars (for me...)

Reaction score
Seems an odd choice to me to go with a pilot Luke before a classic Tatooine version.

I'm also kind of dreading seeing what the soft goods are going to look like.

Reaction score
Seems an odd choice to me to go with a pilot Luke before a classic Tatooine version.

Maybe sales data says that outfit sells best?

Reaction score
Sweet! Luke looks great! The packaging looks great too! $20 seems a little steep for a 6'' toy but if the final product looks as good as this, then I'll definitely bite. And it sure seems to be a better value than a 4 inch figure for $10-$11. I won't be a completist, but out of those 4 announced I'll probably pick up Artoo, Maul, and Luke. Maybe the Sandtrooper, if it's clean enough to pass for a normal Stormtrooper.

I'd expect the next wave to look something like: Vader, Han, Anakin(III)/Obi-Wan(III), and C-3PO, since I think they'll go with 3 OT and 1 PT figure based on the description given and the first wave's line up.

I don't really like the guy's attitude toward longtime 4" collectors. It seems like kick in the groin to me, especially since he seemed to indicate a move towards more static 4" figures for kids. Hopefully it wont turn out like that for you 4" collectors.

I'm pretty excited for these 6" figures!

Reaction score
All right, I'm just going to come right out and say it. I'm fearful that the new 6" line will be awesome and irresistable. There, I've said it. The demons are cleared.

Reaction score

Hopefully soft goods will look better, and we can get a Vader without a see through cape.

Reaction score
Yeah, but they're probably frustrated too.o

Many fans (not saying you, MKOS) have been outright hostile to them in the last few years, and acting entitled and some go on and on about specific Hasbro employees - some people even post what are basically threats. At the end of the day, they're just people doing a job. And when folks don't have perspective on what this is (GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH TOYS) and don't have some gratitude (doesn't have to be 24-7, obviously), that has to grind on you. Just imagine if you tried your absolute best, within the confines of the real world, to please some audience, and the majority volume of the feedback you heard was, "You suck." Hasbro employees aren't politicians. They didn't sign up for that ****. They signed up because they love toys and business.
Oh, absolutely agreed. I don't envy them. I try to remain as positive as I can as I know that the Star Wars toy line has to be many things for many people. There just isn't an assortment or line that is going to make *everyone* happy and I always strive to keep that in mind. That statement just came across as Hasbro saying "hey - you guys who have been giving us money all along? We don't need your money. We want the lapsed collectors and kids." Does it make sense? 100%. They need new initiatives to get back the lapsed collectors (vintage apparently didn't work, so time to try 6") and the kids who have turned to other things. BUT you don't need to be dismissive to your existing fanbase. It's not a big deal at all and I'm sure I took it too personally. Just rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully, I'm wrong and a well-sculpted and articulated 15th cantina alien will be in the 3 3/4" black series. ;)

Reaction score
Wow... Yeah, just read the whole article. Some of those quotes truly are a REAL slap in the face. It'd be like Madonna releasing a new record of Heavy Metal music and then saying... "Look, I can't just keep all those aging gay boys dancing... not when there are fans out there who want something new."

Reaction score
Well just when I got done with Star Wars, and the over done smaller scale, they build the field.
I'll happily just be ordering cases of these guys, I'm not dealing with scalpers this time.
And I'm buying one of each.

That packaging is ****!

Reaction score
Oh, absolutely agreed. I don't envy them. I try to remain as positive as I can as I know that the Star Wars toy line has to be many things for many people. There just isn't an assortment or line that is going to make *everyone* happy and I always strive to keep that in mind. That statement just came across as Hasbro saying "hey - you guys who have been giving us money all along? We don't need your money. We want the lapsed collectors and kids." Does it make sense? 100%. They need new initiatives to get back the lapsed collectors (vintage apparently didn't work, so time to try 6") and the kids who have turned to other things. BUT you don't need to be dismissive to your existing fanbase. It's not a big deal at all and I'm sure I took it too personally. Just rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully, I'm wrong and a well-sculpted and articulated 15th cantina alien will be in the 3 3/4" black series. ;)
Yeah, I'm sure they'll get to the 15th Cantina Alien eventually, be it in 5 years or 10, but the wording could have more... diplomatic. Total pot shot. But as someone who hears negative feedback all day from belligerent, hostile users, I totally sympathize with wanting to say something like that... and sometimes I do, I have to admit.

Sometimes couting to ten just isn't enough. :)

Reaction score
Maybe sales data says that outfit sells best?
They know there's a solid block of pilot collectors out there. Sure, they look nice, they'd probably be great figures, but I'm sorry. We've been doing 3 3/4" now for coming up on 20 years (yikes!). I'm not going to spend more money on something I already have just because it's bigger. And we might as well admit it right now, we all play with these things when no one (especially wives, girlfriends, etc.) are looking.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure they'll get to the 15th Cantina Alien eventually, be it in 5 years or 10, but the wording could have more... diplomatic. Total pot shot. But as someone who hears negative feedback all day from belligerent, hostile users, I totally sympathize with wanting to say something like that... and sometimes I do, I have to admit.

Sometimes couting to ten just isn't enough. :)
I don't blame him because I can't understand the fascination for them around here. Of course all of you would say the same about me and the rest of the pilot guys, but the difference is the pilots sell.

Reaction score
6"? $20 per figure? Another sandtrooper? No thanks, Hasbro.

I foresee the black line having the same problems as the main line (terrible distribution, bad character choices) only compounded by the outrageous price. I sincerely hope that this won't be the only option for collectors, and that quality figures continue to be made in the main line.
They sure do love their Sandtroopers don't they? I have to agree, the Hasbro boys must be tearing their hair out and screaming at the walls after every conference call.

Reaction score
Well, I think this news makes it fairly obvious that Hasbro was aware of the "postponed" 3D releases.

A lot of news has been slamming us the past week. It's honestly kinda crazy. I will admit that I think that 6" Luke looks nice, but I'm having a hell of a time justifying a $20 price tag. Marvel Legends are $15, and these SW figures seem to have the same range of articulation and detail. Doesn't quite seem right.
Also, I'm going to pray that the Vintage line remains at it's current quality from here on out. Even if we start only getting 8 4" figures a year, but they have the same quality and articulation as the past years, I'll be happy.
The next weeks and TF will be very interesting indeed. For the first time ever in my years of toy collecting, I'm seriously concerned about where this line is headed.

Reaction score
I've been wanting a new scale for a LONG time. The 4" product is so tired now.