The Black Series 6" - General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
eeeeeee if they're really breaking out the highly articulated 6" figures, it'll be the best thing ever! :D

I can't wait to see how Vader, Grievous, and the Fetts look that big

Reaction score
So, to be more positive about the 6" line, here are the characters that I WOULD buy (if they were at least as high in quality and articulation as the Masters of the Universe Classics line) to put on my desk... Other naysayers like me, are there any 6" figures you would buy?

ANH Han
Jabba's Palace Luke
ANH White dress Leia (for my wife who would most likely steal it from me)
Biker Scout
Bossk
Jar Jar
Watto
Maul
Qui Gon

And maybe a couple of others. That's actually more than I thought. Of course, I would have to see them first. About the only nearly 100% figure I would buy in 6" scale is Jar Jar (don't stone me.)

Reaction score
Found this on the Sideshow Star Wars forum regarding 6 inch figs. If this is true I am VERY excited. I need a Phase 2 Clone, Dooku, Mace, Boba Fett in 6 inch. I would even take some CW figs (Ahsoka, General Krello-o....the possibilities are endless!)

http://usat.ly/117abR0

Reaction score
^ that article makes it sound like vintage will continue this fall under the Black Series banner...so this "black series" is what's "Back in Black" perhaps

Reaction score
Oh my. I think the Skywalker looks good, but that's only a prototype, right? If they do a good job on the sandtrooper I see these as a winning product.

Reaction score
Oooh...that's what I thought. $19.99 for these. I knew 6-inch figures would hit the $20 mark someday. But it looks almost worth it. The Luke looks great. I hope the final product looks like that. I can't afford all of these but I can't wait to see Han Solo.

I'm more interested in learning baout the Black Series 3 3/4 inch. I don't get the part about " newbies who want to start a series from the start". I don't want to start all over again!

Reaction score
But it says in the news story that they're going after the Nerd Dad and apparently nerd dad has the $19.99 to spend and the 3 3/4 figures are for his kids.

New versions of "iconic characters". But...but i actually WANT "the 15th cantina alien"!!

Reaction score
"Our focus here is the adult collector, the dad," DePriest says. "We know they have their own generation of youngsters they like to share the adventure with. It can be something for dad, and the 3¾ world can be something for the kids to share."".

That last line scares me, sounds like 3 3/4 line is gonna get limited articulation like they are doing with the spiderman and iron man lines.

sad sad day.........

Reaction score
Looks nice so far but I feel one of Hasbro's biggest mistakes is having so many different SW figure lines. Now, with a second line of bigger versions of the same I am torn as a collector and as a person with only so much money. I've been 3.75 collecting since 1978 and won't leave that now, so the question is, do I get involved in supporting a line 2" bigger?

Reaction score
First of all, that article more or less confirms TVC will continue in 2013! Yes!! Second of all, that 6" Luke rocks my you-know-what. Sold. At $20 a pop, I will not be a completist with this line, but no way could I pass up a figure of that quality.

Reaction score
And 1 of the first 6 is a Sandtrooper. That's great because we have not had a new Sandtrooper in, like, hours.

Reaction score
If I implied in my earlier post that I thought a 6" line would replace the 3.75" line, that wasn't exactly what I was thinking. However, if they're going to add a new scale, the budget for that has to come from somewhere and the biggest place to cut would be in the 3.75" lines. I think we're going to have to get used to less articulation all around no matter what, it's looking like every 3.75" line Hasbro is putting out this year is headed in that direction so I don't know why Star Wars would be exempt.

I don't really want a Marvel Legends type line for Star Wars. It's not in my budget nor does it interest me. Having said that, if we were getting figures in the style ThreeA was proposing back at SDCC 2011....those I could maybe be talked into.

E...
I'm also concerned about what appears to be a major return to 5 POA...I mean, has anyone seen those new 3 3/4 SpiderMan figs? Ugh.

I'm a little more hopeful for the 6-inch line. The prototype Luke (X-wing pilot) looks to be the same style as the 3A ones bandied about a purple years ago (and thank goodness not comic-y and cartoonish). I want to wait and see what they look like in hand first...

Reaction score
I hope this isn't the death knell for 3 3/4". It sounds like they want the line we know and love to be for "the kids" now. After all the limited articulation and lesser detail we've seen with recent movie heroes and battle packs, I'm a little nervous that authenticity and quality is going out the window or at least being transfered to this new scale.

I'm not going to start collecting a whole new line now. I've been doing 3 3/4" since I was a kid. Maybe one or two on a whim, but I'm not collecting these.

Reaction score
Key quote for the worry-warts:

"The current "vintage"-style line of 3¾ figures will also continue under the Black Series banner."

Reaction score
Key quote for the worry-warts:

"The current "vintage"-style line of 3¾ figures will also continue under the Black Series banner."
But is this referring only to the repacks we know about or new figures? It doesn't say.

Reaction score
"...looking for something new and their interest isn't as piqued by the 15th cantina alien we have yet to do," DePriest says.

That's probably the stupidest thing I've heard come out of that man's mouth yet (and there's been plenty). I PERSONALLY don't collect cantina aliens at all, but most folks seem to be clamoring for more or updates.

The 6" idea is cool but I think they have the wrong reasons for doing it. Plus, with their current distribution model we'd never see beyond wave 1 at retail anyways.

Reaction score
Wow! Just when I thought Hasbro didn't have anything interesting up their sleeve, they go and surprise us with this 6" line. Based on what we've seen, this has a lot of promise. When I first heard about this potential line, I thought they would look more like the IMHO too-articulated & not too detailed Marvel Legends figures - but, based on this Luke, they will be a lot more detailed (hopefully). I like how the plastic is molded so you can see the creases in the uniform - very nice.

And, the packaging is great - like the simplistic Black color, and it's quite different from any of the previous SW packaging...

So, I take back everything I said about not getting these in my last post :grin: If they all look this good, I will definitely be onboard for at least some of them. Other than what's already listed in the article, other figures I'd like to see in this scale:

Darth Vader
Stormtrooper
Biker Scout
Snowtrooper
Han Solo (ANH)
Obi-Wan (ANH)
Ponda Baba
Greedo
Gammorean Guard
Chewbacca
Luke Jedi (ROTJ)

Still no word on what figures will be in the "Black Series" 3 3/4 line....

In any case, it sounds like I will be getting at least some new Hasbro SW toys this yet. Not sure if I'm happy about this, since I wanted to start winding down with these collectibles..... :hmm:

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!" - Michael Corleone, Godfather III (1990)

Reaction score
I love the 6" line!! Looks just fantastic!

This will seperate the men from the boys, and the whiners from the rest.

At the B&M stores it looks to be about $21.50 a fig a pop with tax figured in, and online probably will run about $25-27 a pop once S&H is all figured in. You would think the ebayers, online stores, scalpers will all be upset at this line, I can hear the screams now! I hope Hasbro continues and makes about 500+ different figures. Don't think you'll see too many scalpers buying a ton of each figre and taking a chance with that price tag. What are you going to scalp them for? $40 a pop? ...hahaha! Your clientele will probbaly run out of money long before you can make it with these babies!

If they plan on a long time run with these.... I think this will bring some collectablilty back to the hobby. There's going to be a lot of people that will have to pick and choose the ones they will do with or without.

Good stuff!

Reaction score
Wow, opinions sure change fast. When we first hear rumors of the 6 inch line a day ago, everyone is trashing it and saying it's a horrible idea, that it's going to fail, that they have no interest in buying into it. Then we get one picture and suddenly everyone is drooling over them and praising Hasbro. :awesome:

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking that I'm not worried about the 3 3/4 inch line continuing, I'm worried about them no longer carring about the adult market in that scale. these 6 inch look really nice, but I can't justify a new line, I can barely justify the price increases with 3 /34 inch figures. I've got a feeling the Iron Man 3 business model will be making the move to SW as well, and we'll get slightly lower prices, but a lot of 5 and 6 POA figures.
I am not sure how this thought bodes, especially since I assume Hasbro will carry on into the Sequel Trilogy, and I would hate to start it off with the limited range figures such as the Episode I figures had. Back then, they were great, but going back to a time close to that, even if sculpts look good, is not the way I'd want them to go, and will make me quit collecting if these thoughts prove true.

Reaction score
Some quick math, for myself:

If I buy 8 Black Series 6" figures in a year times, let's say $25 per (with tax + shipping) = $200
Compared to my old habit of 40 figures in year times roughly $13 per figure (with tax + shipping) = $520

That's a nice savings, for me at least. And since I've all but sold off my entire modern 4" collection, I am willing and ready.

Great day for this fan!

Reaction score
Can't find any pics apart from Luke?
Anybody post a link please? :)
That's the only pic they showed so far. I'm guessing they'll show the rest at TF.

You know what I'm excited for? Threepio. I'll bet that thing will be a beauty.

Reaction score
Oh, my mistake. I thought the first wave was all up on Yakface somewhere.

Certainly that Luke figure is very fine and surpasses expectations! It will still be an easy pass for me however, just like how I find Gentle Giant stuff etc. an easy pass. I collect these for them being TOYS and place a big part of that on to the vehicles, which I highly doubt will happen in this scale. Falcon, anyone?

I guess you could call me a "15th cantina alien" type of guy. B)

Reaction score
$19.99 still means they could be a few bucks cheaper at Wal-Mart. Also, they'll still probably be eligible for sales on Star Wars stuff that TRU has (since Marvel Legends works whenver there's a sale that's just on Hasbro Marvel merchandise). Assuming this doesn't die at retail after 2-3 waves like Epic Force or something, this should do nicely to pass the time until Episode VII.

Reaction score
I have to say that Luke looks pretty good, but I don't see myself collecting these for a few reasons. I'm not crazy about that scale, the price is a little high (not saying the quality isn't necessarily worth it), the thought of starting my collection over in a new scale just exhausts me, and I doubt the line would consist of more than just the major characters. One of the things I love about collecting Star Wars figures is the opportunity to get some the wackier background characters. I don't see that happening with these figures, at least not until several years down the road.

Reaction score
Oh, my mistake. I thought the first wave was all up on Yakface somewhere.

Certainly that Luke figure is very fine and surpasses expectations! It will still be an easy pass for me however, just like how I find Gentle Giant stuff etc. an easy pass. I collect these for them being TOYS and place a big part of that on to the vehicles, which I highly doubt will happen in this scale. Falcon, anyone?

I guess you could call me a "15th cantina alien" type of guy. B)
Dude, you should totally change your name to that.

I gotta admit, that was kind of a low blow on DDP's part.

Reaction score
Okay, I have to admit that the 6" line, just from what I have seen of course, looks amazing. I am not collecting it since I just can not start another line but this gives me hope that the 3 3/4" line will look incredible. The look of the packaging is stellar, clean, sharp, a bit of nostalgia but totally new as well.