The Black Series 6" Customs

Reaction score
For those of you who who have done a lot of repaints, can anyone suggest any techniques for painting black hair? Specifically, not having it look flat and lifeless... or is it simply just a case of slap the black on and let the sculpt do the work?
Dry brushing. I would use a very dark brown as a highlight. You can't do much of a wash on black but you can add highlights

Reaction score
I ended up buying most of the parts I needed. Good news, I was able to pop Poe's arms off cleanly. I noticed though he's having trouble standing up straight.

I bought a Han figure for cheap because his pants are a shade of blue I like. If I use nail polish remover or a paint thinner, am I able to take off the red striping on his pants without doing any damage to the blue?
Use nail polish first. Then maybe 100% acetone if that doesn't work. Thinners can sometimes eat right into the plastic so just go gently. If you need help putting pieces together, post some pics n I'll help as I can. Keep at it!

Reaction score
Use nail polish first. Then maybe 100% acetone if that doesn't work. Thinners can sometimes eat right into the plastic so just go gently. If you need help putting pieces together, post some pics n I'll help as I can. Keep at it!
Awesome, thank you I'll try that. Most of the parts should be in next week. I may ask quite a few questions so please bare with me haha, the only experience I have is swapping wrists.

For the upper armor I'd like to use a part from Phasma I have circled here. Do I have to do anything special like crack it open or can I just boil and pop it off? I'll also need the shoulder plates as well.

81gdlS3feDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reaction score
So I've tried doing some weathering on troopers. It's turned out ok, but not like this. How do you do weathering of this type? Photos from @photographer_of_some_sorts on Instagram.

trooper2.jpgtrooper1.jpg

Reaction score
Also, does anyone know of anyone who sells just Sandtrooper backpacks? Extras they have or 3D printed or anything like that?

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you I'll try that. Most of the parts should be in next week. I may ask quite a few questions so please bare with me haha, the only experience I have is swapping wrists.

For the upper armor I'd like to use a part from Phasma I have circled here. Do I have to do anything special like crack it open or can I just boil and pop it off? I'll also need the shoulder plates as well.

View attachment 339229
Yeah I would take the arms/head off first just boil/pop or use hair dryer. The shoulder armor should come off with an xacto knife fairly easily. Once you have the head/arms out of the way you should be able to either use the whole torso or slice it open carefully on the sides where the seam is. I sold this figure years ago so without it in hand that's the best I can give ye.

Reaction score
Yeah I would take the arms/head off first just boil/pop or use hair dryer. The shoulder armor should come off with an xacto knife fairly easily. Once you have the head/arms out of the way you should be able to either use the whole torso or slice it open carefully on the sides where the seam is. I sold this figure years ago so without it in hand that's the best I can give ye.
I'll have to get some pics when it comes in. Of course I just sold my TFA/TLJ figures not too long ago. I had all these figures too, but at least when I'm re-buying them I'm not spending too much.

I was going through some of the parts and another question came up. I will have to remove the hands on the Iron Fist figure, as Dash wears brown gloves. Should I go with Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu) for the gloves or Val from Rogue One? With Cassian I'd have to repaint the gloves which is fine. Val's gloves are fine too, I like the color. My problem is having hands from a woman figure on arms of a man figure. I don't own those figures so I'm not sure how it would look. Also, I'm sure I can pop off the hands (black arrow) but can I also pop off the parts where the blue arrow is? Or would I just have to pop off the hands then repaint where the blue arrow is so it matches?

s-l1600 (3).jpg
captain-cassian-andor-147.jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Reaction score
Val is tiny so her hands probably wouldn't look good on a guy.
Yeah that's what I figured. I may even take a look at one of the Death Star trooper figures.

Most of the figures came in today so I'll mess around with them tonight.

Reaction score
Here is some progress on my Dash Rendar custom. I'm still waiting for the Iron Fist figure (arms), Phasma (chest armor and shoulder plates) and Star-Lord head. I'm waiting to cut the brown shoulder pads until Phasma comes in, I don't want to cut them too short.

74601248_2492294447492593_715336329386262528_n.jpg

Now I have run into a little snag here. I really want to use the young Han figure. His pants are the shade of blue I like, and he stands up perfectly with no issues, unlike the Poe figure I got. The problem is, I believe the Star-Lord head I ordered will not fit on young Han's neck. I think Star-Lord has an open neck socket, like Poe's head below. Can I swap Poe's upper torso onto young Han's body? If I do will it look out of place?

Now judging by the peg and socket, it won't fit so would I have to dremel open the hole a bit? Or can I pull out the peg on young Han's neck and glue it to the Star-Lord figure? The Star-Lord figure I'm using is the Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

74908169_959995131027198_3066932452678172672_n.jpg
75513524_724764647998036_4588420360973582336_n.jpg

Reaction score
Now I have run into a little snag here. I really want to use the young Han figure. His pants are the shade of blue I like, and he stands up perfectly with no issues, unlike the Poe figure I got. The problem is, I believe the Star-Lord head I ordered will not fit on young Han's neck. I think Star-Lord has an open neck socket, like Poe's head below. Can I swap Poe's upper torso onto young Han's body? If I do will it look out of place?

Now judging by the peg and socket, it won't fit so would I have to dremel open the hole a bit? Or can I pull out the peg on young Han's neck and glue it to the Star-Lord figure? The Star-Lord figure I'm using is the Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

View attachment 339351
Heat some water in a microwave for a couple minutes & then put the Han head in the hot water for a minute.
Once soft, take it out of the water & remove the double ball joint from the head. You may need to use needle nose
pliers to get a grab on it. You can wrap a cloth around the plier jaws to prevent any scarring on the joint.

Once removed you should be able to use it for the Starlord head the same way. If the Starlord socket is to large,
there are several ways to make it work. If it is & you are not sure what to do, let me (or anyone here) know & I will be
happy to help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The second is a figure (Slave Leia) that really needed to be updated, but likely never will be.
I cut the front of the head (ear to ear along the hair sculpt) off & did the same with
a Bespin Escape Leia. Then fused the back piece (with the long braided ponytail) onto the
Bespin Escape face. Then repainted the figure head to toe, new custom cloth pieces, & metal
ear rings. Also chain & collar in last pic.

I present... Leia the Hutt slayer...

View media item 395431
Glamour shot

View media item 395432
Reading Han’s favorite magazine & issue

View media item 395433
Hanging out with Mr. Crumb on my custom dais

View media item 395434

Reaction score
Heat some water in a microwave for a couple minutes & then put the Han head in the hot water for a minute.
Once soft, take it out of the water & remove the double ball joint from the head. You may need to use needle nose
pliers to get a grab on it. You can wrap a cloth around the plier jaws to prevent any scarring on the joint.

Once removed you should be able to use it for the Starlord head the same way. If the Starlord socket is to large,
there are several ways to make it work. If it is & you are not sure what to do, let me (or anyone here) know & I will be
happy to help.
Awesome, thank you so much. I appreciate everyone's help here. I knew I had to use the boil and pop method but didn't realize it was going to be this easy. For some reason I thought with shoulders and waists there was a little more to it.

I tried the boil and pop last night and it worked perfect. I figured that's what I had to do but I just wanted to get confirmation. It looks like the rest of the parts should be in on Tuesday. I guess my next thing I need to worry about is seeing if the arms from Iron Fist will fit on young Han's body. I still need to mess with the parts from Phasma too when I get them.

@Strobeeone great work on those figures! I really like Luke with the cloak and tunic. Excellent work!

Reaction score
I finally got into the black series because of the Walgreen's 2003 Obi Wan but I had to have something close to Fordo to go with him.

I know it's not 100% but it's close enough I used a Rex body.

Attachments

Reaction score
The second is a figure (Slave Leia) that really needed to be updated, but likely never will be.
I cut the front of the head (ear to ear along the hair sculpt) off & did the same with
a Bespin Escape Leia. Then fused the back piece (with the long braided ponytail) onto the
Bespin Escape face. Then repainted the figure head to toe, new custom cloth pieces, & metal
ear rings. Also chain & collar in last pic.

I present... Leia the Hutt slayer...

View media item 395431
Glamour shot

View media item 395432
Reading Han’s favorite magazine & issue

View media item 395433
Hanging out with Mr. Crumb on my custom dais

View media item 395434
She looks fantastic. Nicely done!

Reaction score
Anyone have a spare set of Poe Dameron X-wing pilot gloved hands?

Edit - Bought a cheap Poe off ebay. I watched a Youtube video review on the Iron Fist figure. It looks like the arm and wrist is connected, and at one point the entire wrist fell off. X-wing Poe has the same part type which is why I'll be using him.

I got a notification that the other parts have come in today. I'm going to mess around with them before I go over a friends house for The Mandelorian.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The rest of the parts came in today. I was able to boil and pop out the parts I needed no problem. Ran into a few minor issues:

- The neck peg fits into Star-lord's head, but if you turn the head upside down it will fall out. I'd rather have it that way then be too big where I have to trim the peg or widen the neck hole. The peg will fit into the neck socket fine (it came from this figure) so when I place the head on I can just put some tacky material into the neck hole to tighten it up.

75366365_763435917451640_3696150087869661184_n.jpg

- The arm peg is just a bit too big. Do I trim the peg or widen the arm hole?

75627441_2329417197370713_4212730552161140736_n.jpg

- Lastly, how the heck do I remove the upper chest armor? I tried boil and pop but it just won't budge. Or do I have to crack it open? It looks like I'll need to eventually crack it open anyway so should I heat it up then do it? Also what do I use to crack it open?

73236820_2495976810690099_5239145689144885248_n.jpg

Reaction score
The rest of the parts came in today. I was able to boil and pop out the parts I needed no problem. Ran into a few minor issues:

- The neck peg fits into Star-lord's head, but if you turn the head upside down it will fall out. I'd rather have it that way then be too big where I have to trim the peg or widen the neck hole. The peg will fit into the neck socket fine (it came from this figure) so when I place the head on I can just put some tacky material into the neck hole to tighten it up.

View attachment 339497

- The arm peg is just a bit too big. Do I trim the peg or widen the arm hole?

View attachment 339498

- Lastly, how the heck do I remove the upper chest armor? I tried boil and pop but it just won't budge. Or do I have to crack it open? It looks like I'll need to eventually crack it open anyway so should I heat it up then do it? Also what do I use to crack it open?

View attachment 339499
First for the ss I would carefully Dre Mel out the holes in the shoulders of torso to fit pegs. Just do a tiny bit at a time csuse you want it tight
As for torso yeah the abs and torso are gonna be tough to boil n pop. I would take a new exacto knife and slice carefully all the way through the seam lines on the sides of the torso armor. Once you have that opened to the shoulder you should be able to pry it open and get s better idea how to continue. Don't forget a heat gun or hairdryer is your friend!

Reaction score
First for the ss I would carefully Dre Mel out the holes in the shoulders of torso to fit pegs. Just do a tiny bit at a time csuse you want it tight
As for torso yeah the abs and torso are gonna be tough to boil n pop. I would take a new exacto knife and slice carefully all the way through the seam lines on the sides of the torso armor. Once you have that opened to the shoulder you should be able to pry it open and get s better idea how to continue. Don't forget a heat gun or hairdryer is your friend!
Sounds good. I didn't have much time tonight but I tried dremeling out the holes in the shoulders. I'm trying on the Poe figure as practice, seeing I'll be using the young Han body. I made one side just a tad too big, but after heating it up, connecting the joints, then running cold water on it, it seems fine. The other arm seems perfect. I rotate the arms a few times and they seem to stay in. Hopefully I can do the same now on young Han. If I mess up I'm sure I can get it for cheap again.

Edit - the arm that I thought I dremeled just a tad too big seems fine. I'll rotate it multiple times and it doesn't loosen up or anything. I think I got this (y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got more progress done tonight on Dash. I was able to crack open the armor on Phasma. I had to hollow it down quite a bit with my dremel. I might have to hollow it a bit more. The shoulder armor came off fairly easy, and again I took my dremel to file down the pegs. I'm still messing around with the shoulder armor as to where exactly I want it placed.

I also used my dremel to widen the shoulder pegs. Got it down perfect, no issues there. The shoulders stay in place and aren't too loose or too tight. I said in my previous post the head was going to be too loose - I dropped some tacky material to tighten it up and its perfect. I'm still waiting on the Poe figure for the wrists. Instead of trying to remove the red stripes on the pants I'm just going to paint over them. I'm still messing around with the brown shoulder pads, I still need to trim them. Lastly I'll be adding in the brown markings on the torso and legs.

Here's what I got done so far. Now I'm going to have dinner lol

75424576_10101439600807189_6460893902936211456_n.jpg

Reaction score
“Han Solo? Ha, you don’t need that guy if I’m around."

I finally finished Dash tonight! Thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it. Dash is one of my favorite characters, and I loved Shadows of the Empire. There was more part swapping on this than painting. Parts I used are below the pics.

dash1.jpg

dash2.jpg

With Shadows Luke

dash3.jpg

Receipe:
Head - Starlord (Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Marvel’s Ego & Star-Lord 2-Pack. I also have a Starlord head from Legends Series Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 so I can swap them out if I want - I like both)
Upper chest armor and shoulder plates - Captain Phasma
Shoulder pauldrons - Lady Deathstrike
Arms - Iron Fist
Hands/wrists - X-wing Poe Dameron
Body - Young Han Solo
Blaster - Han Solo

Reaction score
One of the lightsaber blades for my Second Sister got bent a little in the socket. I straightened it out, but now it's really loose. Any suggestions to tighten it up? It droops when she holds it because it just wobbles in the socket.

Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark, but would anybody have an incomplete old version of Luke Jedi to sell me? Or specifically, just the belt and/or alternate shirt piece? PM me please if you can help.

Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark, but would anybody have an incomplete old version of Luke Jedi to sell me? Or specifically, just the belt and/or alternate shirt piece? PM me please if you can help.
One of my regrets was selling off my old Jedi Luke. I too just want his belt and right hand so I can make a DS Luke using the new one, but the prices on the old Luke is just too much for me to buy one just for those two parts.

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a comic style Leia to go with Yavin Luke. Does anyone have a Padme body they aren't using?

Reaction score
“Han Solo? Ha, you don’t need that guy if I’m around."

I finally finished Dash tonight! Thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it. Dash is one of my favorite characters, and I loved Shadows of the Empire. There was more part swapping on this than painting. Parts I used are below the pics.

View attachment 339637

View attachment 339638

With Shadows Luke

View attachment 339639

Receipe:
Head - Starlord (Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Marvel’s Ego & Star-Lord 2-Pack. I also have a Starlord head from Legends Series Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 so I can swap them out if I want - I like both)
Upper chest armor and shoulder plates - Captain Phasma
Shoulder pauldrons - Lady Deathstrike
Arms - Iron Fist
Hands/wrists - X-wing Poe Dameron
Body - Young Han Solo
Blaster - Han Solo
Came out really great man! If I could offer a suggestion, I'd say hit it up with some weathering. Not sure if you're familiar the terms but a wash and some dry-brushing really bring out the details s as nd bring a figure to life. Valero black wash is magic in a bottle, add a lil water to it and go for it. You could also do some nice metallic dry brushing on the armor too.
But again, great work!

Reaction score
Also, does anyone know of anyone who sells just Sandtrooper backpacks? Extras they have or 3D printed or anything like that?
Hey man I've got a loose sandtrooper pack. White paint is scuffed but it's workable. Hit me up if you need it

Reaction score
Came out really great man! If I could offer a suggestion, I'd say hit it up with some weathering. Not sure if you're familiar the terms but a wash and some dry-brushing really bring out the details s as nd bring a figure to life. Valero black wash is magic in a bottle, add a lil water to it and go for it. You could also do some nice metallic dry brushing on the armor too.
But again, great work!
Thanks! And thank you again for your help too, I really appreciate it. Everything came together very well. The only thing that is a tad loose are the wrists. They don't fall out or anything, but a little bit of tacky material fixed that. I had young Han's shirt painted a bit of a lighter shade of blue then the pants. I ended up going to a craft store to get the brown I needed and saw another blue that I thought would be a better match. I'm glad I got it, because it looks much better to me. I also ended up painting over the red stripes on the side, much easier.

I will definitely look into giving the figure some weathering. I've done it a few times on some vehicles I have, so I have a general idea of it. I was just floored at how well (to me at least lol) this turned out, I was in a rush to post it haha. I even forgot to paint his gloves brown, and now that I think of it, Dash is a red head. Back to the paint bin lol.

Reaction score
One of my regrets was selling off my old Jedi Luke. I too just want his belt and right hand so I can make a DS Luke using the new one, but the prices on the old Luke is just too much for me to buy one just for those two parts.
Me too! If they had made the vest more easily removable, they could have given us a few more accessories. I would have let them keep the stand for that....you know, the stand that you have to be in a RUNNING POSE to actually use?

Reaction score
I have 2 resin cast Sandtrooper backpacks waiting for me at home. I've never worked with resin and very little with paint. What type of paint would you recommend for painting black resin?