The BB-8 controversy....

Reaction score
So I discovered a differing opinion on BB-8 that made me wonder, have I been viewing a scene incorrectly all this time? In The Force Awakens, when Finn reveals to BB-8 what he really is, he then begs the little droid to keep his secret and keep up the act. Don't oust him! Where I am confused is, well, BB-8 responds with his...I guess you'd call it a lighter? This scene always got a big laugh in my audience, but I just recently learned...that there are two interpretations of the scene. I PERSONALLY always saw it as BB-8 giving Finn what's essentially the middle finger, basically solidifying him as a bit snarky and his displeasure at learning Finn is a liar. However, I've now encountered a LOT of people who took it as BB-8 giving Finn a sort of thumbs up. Is this really just a case of up for interpretations, neither right or wrong...just different people will see different interpretations of this scene? Or is there a definitive answer to it being the middle finger or a thumbs up?

Reaction score
So I discovered a differing opinion on BB-8 that made me wonder, have I been viewing a scene incorrectly all this time? In The Force Awakens, when Finn reveals to BB-8 what he really is, he then begs the little droid to keep his secret and keep up the act. Don't oust him! Where I am confused is, well, BB-8 responds with his...I guess you'd call it a lighter? This scene always got a big laugh in my audience, but I just recently learned...that there are two interpretations of the scene. I PERSONALLY always saw it as BB-8 giving Finn what's essentially the middle finger, basically solidifying him as a bit snarky and his displeasure at learning Finn is a liar. However, I've now encountered a LOT of people who took it as BB-8 giving Finn a sort of thumbs up. Is this really just a case of up for interpretations, neither right or wrong...just different people will see different interpretations of this scene? Or is there a definitive answer to it being the middle finger or a thumbs up?
It's a thumbs up.

https://www.themarysue.com/bb8-has-no-chill/

Controversies aren't what they used to be.

Last edited:
Reaction score
& I thought this thread would be all about the people he murdered in TLJ o-o

Last edited:
Reaction score
I never once saw that lighter thing as anything but a thumbs up. I'm actually surprised that anyone would see that sequence and think "middle finger"

Reaction score
I never once saw that lighter thing as anything but a thumbs up. I'm actually surprised that anyone would see that sequence and think "middle finger"
See maybe it's the pessimist in me, but I saw it as a middle finger because Finn is revealing he's basically, well, a fake, a phony, an *****HOLE! So I thought a middle finger made more sense than a thumbs up.

Reaction score
Chopper maybe. But throughout TFA, we were never lead to believe that BB-8 had that type of personality.

Reaction score
:grin: I think that interpretation says more about you than BB-8, Mysterio!

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only middle finger in the Star Wars lexicon is TLJ

Reaction score
Yeah, I always assumed it was a thumbs up and never even thought it was anything else.
Y

Reaction score
I think Finn giving the thumbs up as well should have made it obvious BB-8 is reciprocating the thumbs up. It's also the first I've heard anyone interpreting it differently.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, it's quite obviously a thumbs up.

This kind of makes me wonder what other, slightly more complex aspects of Star Wars some people may have misunderstood.

Reaction score
LOL, That's exactly how I saw it as well :grin: BB-8 flipping Finn the bird. Finn was pushing BB into something he didn't want to do, so ergo... and it made me chuckle.
I posed this way back then and almost everyone replied almost as if they were offended by how I could perceive it like that :wtf:. This was also when fandom wasn't as divided as now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
LOL, That's exactly how I saw it as well :grin: BB-8 flipping Finn the bird. Finn was pushing BB into something he didn't want to do, so ergo... and it made me chuckle.
I posed this way back then and almost everyone replied almost as if they were offended by how I could perceive it like that :wtf:. This was also when fandom wasn't as divided as now.
I mean I knew I wasn't alone in my interpretation, but I was starting to think I was alone on Rebelscum. Hah! So glad to see I'm not alone. See for me, I don't really understand how it's that shocking TO interpret it as a middle finger. The context of the scene involves Finn revealing he's been lying. He's selfish! He then has the nerve to ask BB-8 to keep his secret. It's rude! I think BB-8 essentially begrudgingly agreeing but with an added "Screw you!" adds up. Not to mention, it always gets a big laugh. The middle finger is just...well...funnier than a thumbs up, which is more cute than humorous. Just because Finn gives a thumbs up doesn't really mean anything toward the context of his reply. But I mean, if it's confirmed the intent of the scene was a thumbs up, there it is. But I never originally saw it that way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
....... makes me wonder what other, slightly more complex aspects of Star Wars some people may have misunderstood.
'Professional' critics mistakenly thought TLJ was good. There's an example for you. B)

Reaction score
Same. BB-8 is more of an innocent child personality, whereas R2-D2 has always been more of a foulmouthed sailor type.

Reaction score
Same. BB-8 is more of an innocent child personality, whereas R2-D2 has always been more of a foulmouthed sailor type.
That could also perhaps have something to do with it. Some are just so used to R2's attitude, perhaps we just had it bleed onto BB-8 even if it wasn't actually there? Because no two ways about it, based off some of the responses he gets in return, R2 has a mouth on him.

Reaction score
^^^ Thumbs up/middle-finger are both valid interpretations. I thought it was cute he gave the thumbs up, but BB giving Finn the middle-finger seems more appropriate every single time that useless idiot is onscreen. So works for me.

LOL @BB being an “innocent child personality.” More like a psychopath: He kills guards by spitting out sharp coins at them, then plows down troopers driving an AT-ST. And chirps sweetly while doing it. That’s one “innocent” psychopath right there.

Reaction score
That could also perhaps have something to do with it. Some are just so used to R2's attitude, perhaps we just had it bleed onto BB-8 even if it wasn't actually there? Because no two ways about it, based off some of the responses he gets in return, R2 has a mouth on him.
Then ya got C-3PO who was effeminate and a prudish tight-***. Just occurred to me that 3PO literally walks like he has a stick in his butt lol.

Reaction score
Then ya got C-3PO who was effeminate and a prudish tight-***. Just occurred to me that 3PO literally walks like he has a stick in his butt lol.
Oh yeah! C-3PO is very prudish and prissy. Very cliche British. Hah! He's always getting on everyone's nerves too. I mean R2 gets real annoyed with him pretty regularly, Han can't seem to stand him, Lando doesn't give a damn when he's blown up, Chewbacca does fix him on Cloud City...but due to just constantly complaining Chewie pretty much has enough, Jabba physically abuses him...though that's pretty par for the course for Jabba to do that to anyone, pretty much the only characters that actually like 3PO are the ewoks!

Reaction score
No matter how folks may feel about the disney movies, you can't deny that they've done a great job of introducing new droids with distinct personalities. L3 has strong opinions and you're going to hear about em. Chopper is pretty much a ****. K2 is very deadpan. Triple Zero and BT from the comics like murdering and torturing A LOT.

Reaction score
No matter how folks may feel about the disney movies, you can't deny that they've done a great job of introducing new droids with distinct personalities. L3 has strong opinions and you're going to hear about em. Chopper is pretty much a ****. K2 is very deadpan. Triple Zero and BT from the comics like murdering and torturing A LOT.
I actually was talking about the positives and negatives of the Disney movies, different categories, with a buddy on Facebook last night. He loves The Last Jedi. See I get sort of labeled in the hater camp, but I'm really not. I just hated ONE of them, The Last Jedi. The issue is, I hated it so much it landed the dishonor of being drastically my least favorite. My second to least would be Attack of the Clones, but it's a dynamic drop between even those two for me. As a guy who's been very critical of the prequels over the decades, The Last Jedi even made me appreciate them more. But the truth is, I really enjoyed The Force Awakens. It's a safe movie, it's not incredible in my opinion, but I understand why it was the way it was and for what it was worth, I thought it a step in the right direction. I had fun! I ADORED Rogue One, it's the only Star Wars outside of the originals that I feel is sincerely brilliant in all aspects and not just some. I even liked Solo, though this is the only other one I have some issues with, but none were so drastic they ruined the film for me. I enjoyed it! I've liked more SW movies in recent years than in decades, it's just sort of imbalanced for me because this era also produced my absolute least favorite as well. So really, that's probably why it seems like I hate Disney SW more than I truly do.

And one of the positives I gave was, well, droids. I agree entirely! I really think they've been doing solid work on droids. I enjoy most their designs and characters in the Disney films and while I do have some issues, again those only stem out of The Last Jedi. I didn't like how BB-8 was made into some sort of superhero, I didn't care for the fact that R2-D2 and C-3PO aren't really that relevant either. But I mean, as far as K2-SO, BB-8 in The Force Awakens, we're FINALLY getting an IG assassin droid in the Mandalorian, L3 grew on me (at first I found her obnoxious...but now I find her more satire), and I really enjoyed a LOT of the designs of background droids in The Force Awakens, especially that big red lumbering one outside of Maz's castle. That design is awesome!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Satirical or not, L3 was rubbish.

BT-1 is just silly, with utterly farcical accoutrements that couldn't possibly fit inside his body and 000 comes just comes across as a psychopathic C3PO knock-off. They're probably the worse thing about the Dr. Aphra comics.

BB-8 was good in 'The Force Awakens', but terrible in 'The Last Jedi' and I still don't like that he's simply a replacement for R2D2.

Wasn't impressed with 'Rebels', so I just didn't bother watching the whole thing and I won't, so I can't say much about Chopper.

K2SO is absolutely the best new droid that Disney has introduced and I'm happy that Alan Tudyk is on board for the proposed TV series.

Reaction score
L337 means "elite" in 1990's gamer-speak.

and I guess the new driod in IX is named "D-O"..? (aka: Dio , Ronnie James).

:rolleyes:

you can't deny that they've done a great job of introducing new droids with distinct personalities.
that's.. uhm... one way of putting it. I guess.

another way would be "derivative and reductive" -- like JJ's 'ello asty' character

(for my money , GL's SW was always the 'source' of pop culture references -- something for other artists to 'pay homage' to, in THEIR work -- not vice versa).

(when SW is used to 'pay homage' to beastie boys and black sabbath, it puts that shoe on the other foot -- it reduces SW's place in the universe -- it places SW beneath the things it's referencing).

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ Absolutely. George lead with SW. Now nuSW is a follower. They don’t get it. Once SW starts referencing the most mainstream of pop culture-- whether that’s flat racial/racist stereotypes, tired yo-mama jokes, or desperately latching onto the latest MCU-phenomenon, this Sequel has become directionless and pointless. Even they know it’s a chore just t get it over with.

Kids don’t care about SW, so I’m amused/perplexed/annoyed at the constant gravelling Disney insists with these kiddie shows/BB/Porgs that are predictably flopping one after the other. Little boys don’t care for SW, and little girls never did. It’s not the 80s-90s anymore.

The one bright side to all of this is that K2 is one of the best characters from any SW film— not just a “droid” character: Dry, gentlemanly, sardonic, funny and very human. He’s timeless. More of that for the new series and no more of whatever they think the kiddies want, cuz kiddies don’t want SW.

Reaction score
I mean I knew I wasn't alone in my interpretation, but I was starting to think I was alone on Rebelscum. Hah! So glad to see I'm not alone. See for me, I don't really understand how it's that shocking TO interpret it as a middle finger. The context of the scene involves Finn revealing he's been lying. He's selfish! He then has the nerve to ask BB-8 to keep his secret. It's rude! I think BB-8 essentially begrudgingly agreeing but with an added "Screw you!" adds up. Not to mention, it always gets a big laugh. The middle finger is just...well...funnier than a thumbs up, which is more cute than humorous. Just because Finn gives a thumbs up doesn't really mean anything toward the context of his reply. But I mean, if it's confirmed the intent of the scene was a thumbs up, there it is. But I never originally saw it that way.
Considering that everyone sees things differently, it's quite normal to see why you interpreted what you saw. If we all had read the script prior to or even just after the movie, then there would be no room for speculation on it. Even though it's common knowledge that not all people see things the same exact way, they're still ridiculed for presumably being wrong.

TBH, it could be viewed either way. Since this is in essence a kids show, i couldn't see them doing the middle finger gag. But it totally fits with today's sarcasm as humor, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if that was the intent.