The Batman (June 25th,2021)

Reaction score
I don't see a thread for the Matt Reeve Batman film so I'll just leave this here:

The new Batman is the guy who was Edward in Twilight...and I think he will do a fantastic job.

Reaction score
I don't see a thread for the Matt Reeve Batman film so I'll just leave this here:

The new Batman is the guy who was Edward in Twilight...and I think he will do a fantastic job.
How about we refer to him as "the guy who was Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"? Those are much better credentials. ;)

Reaction score
Nothing is official yet in regards to Robert Pattinson being cast but the rumor is Nicholas Hoult is also in the running. I know people will crap on Pattinson for the Twilight connection but I trust Matt Reeves. Also remember when Ledger and Affleck were first announced fanboys threw fits and those turned out well.

GNT

Reaction score
I can kind of picture Robert Pattinson in the batsuit, not a huge fan of his but will give a new take a go. I'll move this to a new thread.

Reaction score
There was a huge outcry when Keaton was cast as Batman, too. I think Pattinson will be good. He may need to bulk up a little by 15 or so pounds maybe, but he should be able to pull this off. He actually is a decent actor that unfortunately is mostly remembered for the Twilight series.

Reaction score
I never saw Twilight... was it good?

*[ducks and runs for cover]* :p LOL

no seriously. I never saw Twilight. so I'm OK with this.

Reaction score
The first one isn't horrible. He's been in way more than Twilight though and is really good in those things. He'll be fine.

Reaction score
Everyone got burnt trouncing Ledger as Joker that we let alot slide in Batman casting. Rumor is Catwoman, Penguin and Riddler as the villians. So, it's an episode of Gotham.

Reaction score
Not really interested, I just don't see him as Batman. Must be a WB thing, otherwise there's plenty of other "unknown" talented Actors available.

Honestly I'm more interested in seeing a Thomas Wayne version with JDM in the role.

Reaction score
Gee. All for some super hero movies. But can we introduce some other characters too. Kinda of tired of Superman,Batman and especially Hulk.

Reaction score
if they try a new "Vampire" angle for Batman then it might work.

(are "Vampire Bats" still a thing..? do vampires turn into bats..? or did that only happen in Bugs Bunny cartoons?)

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
I need picture him in the role, using a younger actor means he could stick around longer if his good in the role. I'm kind of getting over all the different actors who play the role.

Reaction score
I think Idris Elba should play batman. dude can do anything.

Last edited:
Reaction score
While I think that Elba could probably play that role, I feel like the internet would totally break if he was cast.

GNT

Reaction score
Robert Pattinson has been confirmed for the role of Batman.

Reaction score
I just don't get it, and apparently neither does WB/DC...

They hit it on the nose for a couple Movies, then totally blow it with others. Who in their right mind though he was a good choice for Batman?

Or is he perhaps Batman Beyond's Terry Mcguinnes?

Reaction score
My gut instinct on this was an immediate panic. I only know Robert from Twilight and his bit role in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. So at first I was vocally anti-Pattenson. But a lot of people gave me recommendations to his other work and even interviews where he isn't even subtle about his hatred for the Twilight franchise. He kind of got smeared by that. But I checked him out, gave him a shot in some of his more Indie or arthouse work, and I can sincerely say...he is talented. I jumped the gun, just wasn't especially familiar with him. So I'm willing to give him a shot. I can't see how he could be any worse than Affleck. Then again, to be honest, I take even that back. I don't think Affleck is to blame, I think the writing was.

My issue? Is this part of the DCCU? Or is this like Joker? It's own thing? Because honestly, I'd MUCH prefer this to have noooooooooooothing to do with the other DC film continuity.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
I just don't get it, and apparently neither does WB/DC...

They hit it on the nose for a couple Movies, then totally blow it with others. Who in their right mind though he was a good choice for Batman?

wb doesn't care about making a great film franchise, they showed a little bit of potential but they blew it - like the first WW was for me at least a decent film but others haven't been as good. The DCU should be reset if the same actors want to stay on board otherwise newer projects should distance themselves from the garbage that we've seen over the last few years.

We have to give him a chance though.

Reaction score
as Kevin Smith said, you're not casting Batman. You're casting Bruce Wayne.

I both agree and disagree with this statement. As Kevin Smith is an accomplished director/creator he's right in saying you're not casting Batman but rather Bruce Wayne. but here's the thing with that I don't agree with... if the actor does a horrid version of Bruce Wayne than there is the possibility that it will carry over to the actor's portrayal of Batman as well.

I'm holding judgment until I see Pattinson in the role and Batman garb. Can he do it??? again not sure really. I'm reminded about the outcry in 1988 when Michael Keaton was cast for the role of Bruce Wayne and Batman and the fans were in uproar... "how can Mr. Mom be the Dark Knight..." and to this day I still feel that Keaton was the best Batman. now we are hearing rumblings of the same if not similar to Pattinson "how can sparkly vampire boy be the Dark Knight"

give him a chance. let's see what he can do / look like as the part. they could be possibly trying to link this concept of Batman up with the recent Gotham TV Series in which Pattison is the now grown up 30's something David Mazouz?

Reaction score
I don't know if there'e any truth to it, as it was an article online. But apparently WB is looking to separate the DCEU, and no longer try to do the "connected" thing.

Also heard that hey Canceled Swamp Thing, and that DC Universe streaming app may end.

The thing with Pattinson is, that i just don't care for his acting. In anything I've seen. At least with Keaton, he had charisma and talent.
His casting is simply an attempt to draw in a very different audience, as he does have Millions of Fans. It seems that they only know how to go to extremes at both ends of the spectrum. First Snyder goes way too dark, now they're going way too light.

I liked Shazam well enough, same as Aquaman. More than I did BvS, and to some extent JL. But, not as much as I did WW. Now because of those two films didoing better than JL, they think fans want more of that.

I don't think they're ever going to strike the right cord.

Now I'm just curious if we're still getting Green Lantern Corps or not.

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if DC had some backroom bet on who could screw up the film franchise the most. They were way too married to being different than Marvel. They should have started the universe off with Wonder Woman, The Flash,Cyborg,Aqua-man, and then introduced Superman and Batman in a team-up movie that leads into Justice League. They should have kept Superman as a goody two shoes because he IS a goody two shoes. Also don't use up every major superman storyline in 1 movie. From there you go with Crisis Of Infinity Earths and bring in Flash,Green Arrow,etc from tv into the films as an alternate timeline.

Reaction score
Totally. ^

I do remember that in the past they had to show loss to hold onto the License for Superman. But I thought that had all been worked out. I definitely feel making Superman the way they did, just made him to close to Batman's character. There is a real weird vibe with Snyder's take on the Franchise for sure, not so much Batman. Heck just about anyone could write for him, because we all have darkness within and would likely do that same thing. But writing for a character that's the epitome of righteousness is extremely difficult because no one like that exists. So there's nothing to draw from, and audiences cannot relate.

Superman is there for one thing, to keep everyone else in check! While i'm a big fan of Superman, have been since a child and watching George Reeves version. And when Superman the Movie came out, i was Fan-boying like you couldn't believe! But even I recognize that this character is kind of tough to write for, especially when so many people have different views on who/what he should be.

Guess that's why in every Movie his nemesis is either Zod or Luthor, because no one knows how to write Brainiac or Darkseid stories. We finally get a Doomsday, and that was just about horrible.

Their focus will always be Batman. And with this casting I'm almost afraid of who'll they'll get for Kal-El next, or what they'll turn him into. While i think a reboot is neccasary for this Franchise, tnhey plan to keep the current WW, Aquaman and Shazam going. So i don't see it happening very soon. I was hoping that the Flash movie would have done flashpoint and change some of the crappy things we didn't like.

Also feel that keeping Green Lantern out of it simply because of the 2011 flop, is a mistake. There's several other Earth bound GL that hey could use, heck use MBJ for John Stewart.

Reaction score
fully agree on Green Lantern. It's a really cool concept and if handled right could be a big hit. Just amazes me how badly they've handled the franchise when Wonder Woman, the Flash, Batman, and Superman are much more well known than most Marvel characters. Meanwhile Marvel is making bank on a bunch of B and C list characters.

Reaction score
Just curious as I know NOTHING about this one yet.
Will this be part of the DCCinematicUniverse and the Vampire dude just replaces Affleck ?
Or is this yet another reboot of the dark knight. If so, I give it up, I am really sick of reboot after reboot after reboot....

I like the look of the new Batmobile, altough it could easily pass with a MadMax movie too

Reaction score
From what I understand it is essentially a reboot and will not tie into the previous outings, and that they do not plan to continue with the DCEU. Or at least have a very limited shared universe with only a few characters. Auquaman2 and WW2 appear to be the last movies associated with that time line.
Shazam was hinted at being connected via cameos and eastereggs, but whether the sequel will carry that forward is uncertain. After all the guy in the cameo has since left the character behind.

So who really knows what will happen going forward. My biggest hype was for the GL Corps movie that was supposed to come out July 20, and has since been DBA.

GNT

Reaction score
This Bat film will be it's own film like the recent Joker movie, not tied into anything yet.

They revealed the Batmobile the other day, I kind of dig the real world look to it. So far I'm keeping an open mind on it.

Reaction score
I kind of wish Nolan would return with Bale and continue their Batman universe with new villains.
That sounds like a much better idea then what there doing. The Twilight dude is not Batman and you can tell before a frame of film has been shot.
The Keaton movies and Bale movies both still hold up. The rest have been (stripe from gremlins) Kaaa-kaaa!

Reaction score
I never much cared for the Nolan films, just didn't care the militaristic feel to everything. Also didn't see Bale as Bruce Wayne anymore than some didn't care for Affleck as Batman. I'm not really digging Robert P. as Batman either, possibly a young Bruce. But we'll have to wait and see.
Though I have no plans to see it in theaters, just doesn't interest me at all.

My main problem with Affleck was that it cast Batman as older, as if past his prime. Right at the time when all these new Heroes come onto the scene.
If they had gone a bit younger and tried to start something with JL. I've always liked it when the Heroes teamed up, so now with the DCEU in shambles it's almost to the point on how I feel about Star Wars. Why even bother anymore. lol

Honestly i think I'm just tired of them redoing Batman so much, when there are so many other DC heroes they could go with. They seem to do very well with the animated movies, yet for the live action movies it appears to allude them.

Reaction score
I have mixed emotions when it comes to the Nolan films. I liked seeing the mythology of Batman done in a pseudo-realistic take, I think they're very well-made films, I just don't really think they're all that Batman. At times they just feel joyless, almost as if the creators resent it's stemming from a comic book. Also while I do think they're very good films, I've never found The Dark Knight to be the second coming of Christ. In that regard, I find it overrated. Ledger doesn't feel like Joker to me. It's an incredible performance, but it's just not Joker to me. It's more a terrorist that happens to be a clown rather than a clown who happens to be a homicidal maniac criminal. Plus, for my money, he's just not funny enough. Another thing Nolan tended to do with the film is, in my opinion, talk down to the audience. Instead of Joker just representing the themes he represents, he quite literally has dialogue when he outright spoon-feeds it to us. Chaos, you represent it....yeah...WE KNOW! You don't have to TELL us. I actually don't even watch it much. I've probably only seen the film 10 times. Why? Because it's a thoroughly bleak and depressing venture, it's not a feel-good movie. It's probably the technical best of the three, I'll admit, I just don't watch it much. I've watched and even prefer Begins and The Dark Knight Rises many more times because I just find them more accessible and frankly...fun. Plus I'm kind of bias, I worked on TDKR and it was among the best times of my life.

Now I sound like I'm pretty rough on them, but I do quite like the films. I'm just very far removed from the camp that says they're the end all be all film Batman interpretations. I see much room for improvement. I think they lean too heavily on their "realism" gimmick that they go into extreme levels of near else-world "What if" adaptation rather than merely adapting the comics/lore in and of themselves. If that makes sense...

But I will say, if only live-action, Keaton and Bale are my two favorites. Kevin Conroy is my true favorite, but he doesn't count here. I even love Adam West for what that show was, just the campy and comedic version not my preferred Batman. I don't blame Affleck for the scripts, I think his performance was fine, he's just in a bad movie. He's written more as the Punisher in BvS than ever Batman. It felt like they were trying to be edgy and gritty, which really is one of the curses the Nolan films birthed. Once those were a success, suddenly everything had to be dark and pseudo-realistic for a time. I also think Val could have been very good, but again was a victim of poor writing. Clooney just never stood a chance, good script or not, IMO.

Reaction score
The Nolan films we’re different in a good away especially as they were far away from the Batman 3 and 4 abominations. There certainly not exactly what I wanted but that’s the way it always is. The first film had some very good moments. I didn’t care for the 2nd film ( Joker) at all. With that said, I have a feeling the Batman movies are about to get even worse. The Keaton movies are my personal favorites. That won’t ever change.

Reaction score
the keaton movies were too campy for my taste (including 3&4, which were definitely worse, but in exactly the same way); the nolan movies were too realistic (like a rubber band, snapping back in the opposite direction); the tone of BatFleck was dictated by MoS... it really didn't have an identity of its own... I'm hoping "The" Batman will find its center, with enough realism to make it quasi-believable, but with enough light-hearted-ness to make it enjoyable AS a "superhero" movie. sort of like Ironman1.

Reaction score
the Keaton first Batman movie started everything. You can’t take the film out of its time as well. The only real thing before it was the 1966 TV show. Now that show was campy, but that’s what made it fun to watch as a kid. The Keaton movie in 1989 was leaps and bounds ahead of that show but when you get down to it , it’s just about personal choice. I have personally zero interest in what Hollywood comes up with now. The best that there will ever be as far as anything I can think of can never be topped. Example: ( Star Wars, Indy, Batman, Ghostbusters, Poltergeist,
Aliens, Robocop, Total Recall, I could go on for years, etc etc. They have already proven they can’t ever be as creative as what came before So they try to copy or reboot and make inferior garbage.

Reaction score
89 batman still holds the candle IMO, nothing since has ever seemed to even come close to fitting both aspects. I can kind of see areas where it felt campy, but nothing close to the 66 show. And I truly feel Keaton was able to pull off both characters, Bruce and Batman alike. While everyone else since has not, they've only been able to do one or the other.

Starting over just to reboot with hopefully invigorating a new life in the Caped Crusader once again can possibly work, if you cast the right guy and tell the right stories. But I think it's safe to say everyone has already been there done that. They have pretty much used all the Villains. It merely feels like they're just trying too hard to keep it going. You know what happens when you go to the well to much?

If they want to do something new, yet use the same character. Try doing Batman beyond. Or simply let the character rest, and try making a movie about the 100 other DC characters! Couldn't be that hard to make a Nightwing movie, same old stuff just different character.
Granted they're gonna have to dig into the second string, but it's bound to happen at some point anyways. Better than forcing people to leave because you turned it into the FOX X-Men movies.