The Avengers - Age of Ultron

GNT

Reaction score

Please note, this thread may contain SPOILERS, if you haven't seen the first Avengers film or don't want to be spoiled please leave this thread now....

Last bit of news:

In October 2011, producer Kevin Feige hinted at a sequel to The Avengers during the New York Comic Con stating, "Iron Man 3 will be the first of what we sort of refer to as phase two of this saga that will culminate, God willing, in Avengers 2". In March 2012, Joss Whedon stated that he would want a sequel to be "...smaller. More personal. More painful. By being the next thing that should happen to these characters, and not just a rehash of what seemed to work the first time. By having a theme that is completely fresh and organic to itself." At the premiere of The Avengers, Kevin Fiege said they have an option for Whedon to direct The Avengers 2 when and if the time comes

The first film leaves us screaming for more from the Avengers universe, individual films are great but seeing all the heroes in one spot is pretty impressive. How can they top the first Avengers film? Should we see some new superheroes brought into the mix? Do you think they'll stick with Thanos for the sequel? Maybe go for the Infinity Gauntlet storyline as it was seen in the Asgard vault in Thor?

I heard 2015 might be when the next film gets released, so the next few years might be a good chance for Marvel to launch some new Superheroes and then tie them into the next Avengers film.

Any thoughts on the possible sequel?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd like to see them go deeper into the Avengers roster, rather than just stick with the primary cast they have now. Granted, I'd still want them to keep the same cast, only add to it and not replace people.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Hulk leaving, but I'd really like to see Ant-Man and Wasp in a sequel.
Maybe even Ms. Marvel, Vision, Black Panther, Spider-woman, and Firestar.

I know since Sony owns Spider-Man and Fox Wolverine, we'll most likely never see them on the team.

can't see the main cast going for too long for budget reasons, and probably wont see too many sequels due to not many star power members to drive the films.

Reaction score
Well, given that Thanos is in the bonus credit scene, I guess that shows the direction Avengers 2 will go.

Jason

Reaction score
Yeah, there's no way they'll get rid of the two most marketable, interesting characters. MAYBE the Hulk, but Tony Stark? Hell no.

Reaction score
okay, HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THAT

Okay so in Thor as the Frost giants are stealing the box and the Destroyer pwns them and as they run away it can be seen in the background.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, given that Thanos is in the bonus credit scene, I guess that shows the direction Avengers 2 will go.

Jason
Which in a way kind of bothers me, it means at least two Avenger movies will feature the same Villain.
True he wasn't in the foreground in the first, but he's definitely pulling Loki's strings.
So if he becomes the main bad guy in the sequel, that means he's technically in both.

I just hope they plan to make a lot more movies to fit all the cool Villains in, still need o see Kang the Conqueror on the big screen too!
Also was hoping for the Skrulls, but now they'll just seem too similar to the Chitauri.

Also the reason I chose Hulk and Stark is because they both have their own movie franchise, and leave frequently.
And someone has to leave to open up a spot for some new Avengers, I can't imagine adding more while still keeping all the originals.
That would be way too many characters to follow, and I think the movie would suffer by having too much going on.

I guess though Hank and Janet Pym could just be secondary background characters, and not have them in any major fight scenes.
Ms. Marvel could take the place of Hulk, essentially a flying powerhouse.

I dunno who do you sub out they all have their appeal but like I said most already have their own movie franchise.

GNT

Reaction score
Also was hoping for the Skrulls, but now they'll just seem too similar to the Chitauri.
I don't know if it's true but I heard they can't use Skrulls exactly since 20th Century Fox has the rights for it (under the Fantastic Four rights)

Reaction score
I don't know if it's true but I heard they can't use Skrulls exactly since 20th Century Fox has the rights for it (under the Fantastic Four rights)
That's the going idea about the Skrulls. Very unfortunate that Marvel ddin't think to consolidate their licenses since virtually all their franchises cross paths at some point.

Personally, I'd take out Black Widow and Hawkeye in the next movie and replace them Hank, Janet, and Ms Marvel. I think you could pull two and replace them with three easily enough; plus, I think Black Widow and Hawkeye are going to have their own movies or just be added on to the SHIELD movie.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Kelsey Grammer come back to play Beast on the Avengers...

Rod

Reaction score
I saw an interview with Whedon and he said he wanted to use a group from from the Marvel Universe but not one with such back story and/or explanation needed.

Reaction score
Disney needs to flex their muscle ($$$) and buy back all the rights for the characters.

GNT

Reaction score
Disney needs to flex their muscle ($$$) and buy back all the rights for the characters.
Would be nice to see Wolverine and Spiderman in the mix, I don't care about Fantastic Four but it would be great to see them all co-exist in the same universe. Sadly I doubt we'll see Marvel get the rights back anytime soon.

Reaction score
At the moment my thought is Thor 2 will involve the Infinity Gauntlet and Avengers 2 will deal with the effects of Thanos getting ahold of it, but that's just total speculation.

And I would love to see Hugh Jackman's Wolverine get tossed in with these guys. Spider-man I don't really care one way or the other about at this point, especially since I don't know how I'll like the new version.

Reaction score
I read that Coulson could become Vision. Not really familiar with Vision's character.

Reaction score
As it says spoilers I can say this...........The one thing I disliked about the Avengers film was how lightly Loki got let off, I mean he kills all these innocent ppl and agents then when hes beaten, he comes out with I think I will have that drink now as if its funny what he has done and its all light hearted......no doubt his adopted dad will tell him off and not to do it again and forgive him.

I would like to see wonderman and Namor and Vision from the original videogame and maybe Juggernaut as a henchman. I quite like black widow too so hope she stays, would be a bit odd in my opinon though to have other superheroes in the mix who were never avengers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As it says spoilers I can say this...........The one thing I disliked about the Avengers film was how lightly Loki got let off, I mean he kills all these innocent ppl and agents then when hes beaten, he comes out with I think I will have that drink now as if its funny what he has done and its all light hearted......no doubt his adopted dad will tell him off and not to do it again and forgive him.
Loki is - for all intents and purposes - a god. What do you think SHIELD or anyone else could have done with him? DO you think they could seriously contain him if he didn't want to be contained? For the record, the mysterious Council, headed by Lt Col Tanner from Red Dawn (how's THAT for a reference for ya!), wasn't exactly thrilled, either. I think no one will be bothered by Loki again for a good long while.

I would like to see wonderman and Namor and Vision from the original videogame and maybe Juggernaut as a henchman. I quite like black widow too so hope she stays, would be a bit odd in my opinon though to have other superheroes in the mix who were never avengers.
There really aren't that many heroes in the Marvel Universe that are not - or have not been - Avengers throughout their career.

If I had anything to complain about, it's two things: 1) I would have liked to have seen a reunion between Cap and Dum Dum Dugan as Fury's right-hand man. I also wouldn't have minded seeing a scene somewhere along the line with Cap picking up Thor's hammer (being one of the - if not THE - only mortals ever shown to be worthy). They sort of dealt with this other side of this, but I'd have liked to see Cap do it and the shocked look on Thor's face.

Both of these would have taken just a little bit of exposition, and in an already-near 2.5 hours, I can see why they didn't.

Reaction score
If I had anything to complain about, it's two things: 1) I would have liked to have seen a reunion between Cap and Dum Dum Dugan as Fury's right-hand man.
That is the problem with setting the core story in today's time period. You can't have Nick Fury with the Howling Commandos in WWII because he would be an ancient old man in the current time line...thus you can't have any of the howling commandos either because they would be serious old folks. I mean 70 years had passed since Cap crashed into the ICE. Dum Dum and the others would have to be near a hundred years old now. The math does not work anymore. Dum Dum and the others could only realistically appear as members of SHEILD if the movie were to take place in the 70's.

A SHEILD movie set in the 70's with Sam Jackson as Fury? Where do I get in Line for THAT?

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
I'm not all up to date on the Marvel univers but maybe they can find a way to transport back (and forth) in time, if aliens can transport across the universe then anything is possible really. I also believe at one point in the near future Cap will head back in time to go on that date he was meant to go on. :p

Reaction score
That is the problem with setting the core story in today's time period. You can't have Nick Fury with the Howling Commandos in WWII because he would be an ancient old man in the current time line...thus you can't have any of the howling commandos either because they would be serious old folks. I mean 70 years had passed since Cap crashed into the ICE. Dum Dum and the others would have to be near a hundred years old now. The math does not work anymore. Dum Dum and the others could only realistically appear as members of SHEILD if the movie were to take place in the 70's.

A SHEILD movie set in the 70's with Sam Jackson as Fury? Where do I get in Line for THAT?
I'm not all up to date on the Marvel univers but maybe they can find a way to transport back (and forth) in time, if aliens can transport across the universe then anything is possible really. I also believe at one point in the near future Cap will head back in time to go on that date he was meant to go on. :p

In the comics, Dugan WAS one of the Howling Commandos, and was STILL part of SHIELD even after so long. It was answered that he - and several members of the Commandos - were treated with the "Infinity Formula", a less-potent formula to attempt to replicate the Super-Soldier serum. For that matter, Nick Fury himself WAS a Howling Commando, and used the same thing to keep going.

It's a comic book movie! Trust me, they can FIND an answer.

Reaction score
I realize this is ridiculous, but I want time travel or some other plot device employed to get Peggy Carter and Steve Rogers back together.

Reaction score
In the comics, Dugan WAS one of the Howling Commandos, and was STILL part of SHIELD even after so long. It was answered that he - and several members of the Commandos - were treated with the "Infinity Formula", a less-potent formula to attempt to replicate the Super-Soldier serum. For that matter, Nick Fury himself WAS a Howling Commando, and used the same thing to keep going.

It's a comic book movie! Trust me, they can FIND an answer.
If they WANTED to find that particular answer Nick Fury would have been in the Captain America movie like he should have been. Those chickens have hatched IMHO and its too late to go down that road now in the movies.

Reaction score
If they WANTED to find that particular answer Nick Fury would have been in the Captain America movie like he should have been. Those chickens have hatched IMHO and its too late to go down that road now in the movies.
Well, Neal McDonough has already said he expects to be in a Nick Fury/SHIELD movie, so the only real question would then become the time-frame it's set it.

Reaction score
Well, Neal McDonough has already said he expects to be in a Nick Fury/SHIELD movie, so the only real question would then become the time-frame it's set it.
What he expects doesn't always work out in Hollywood...

Reaction score
Well they could always bring Dugan into the mix by him being in suspended animation, and is revived in the current timeline.

But I honestly don't see how he would appear in a Nick Fury movie, not to mention that I heard a rumor it's set in fury's early past so even SLJ would be too old for the part.

I really don't want them setting it too far in the past, First Class already went down that road and kind of ruined the timeline.

I think we might see Sharon Carter, but the only way we might see peggy or Dugan would be flashbacks.

I could possibly see letting BW and Hawkeye go, but those are the only two who rely on skills to fight.
So you'd lose that element, though I wouldn't mind if they didn't return, they never were my in my faves.

Also IMO I don't see either of them being able to carry their own movie.

Reaction score
Yeah, Ant-Man (or Giant-Man) and Wasp don't really 'fit' with what's been shown in the Marvel Studios movie universe so far. I have little doubt they COULD make it work somehow, in the right hands (they've got the Tesseract as a way to explain all kinds of things, especially related to Phase 2--Nega Bands? Pym Particles? Don't even need all that, many heroes' powers could be the result of the good ol' Cosmic Cube in some SHIELD tech), but I'd rather they not even bother. Especially since we'd probably have to suffer through the domestic abuse stuff they're so known for. I'd rather they avoid all of that.

Ms. Marvel, as a bit of a cosmic-related hero, would make the most sense especially if Thanos is around for the sequel. Vision could work, as an outgrowth of Tony's work rather than Pym/Ultron/etc (other fans have pointed out, you've already got Tony Stark and Bruce Banner on board as science geniuses... there's no real need to bring Pym in as a major player)... Tony builds robots with personality, he programmed an AI to assist him in his home AND in his armor, he's got a suit that can basically fly around on its own somewhat, and if rumors are true, IM3 may deal with something similar to the Extremis storyline where his armor will literally gain a mind of its own. It's not a far jump from "sentient armor" to "sentient android". And if it's based on Coulson's brain-patterns, even better since we'd get more Clark Gregg (Tony's girlfriend is very friendly with Coulson, so of course she'd wanna save him if it were possible). He'd be pretty great as a revamped Vision. And if it was some joint effort between Tony and Thor, with some Asgardian 'magic' thrown in, it could give whatever Tony builds different abilities than just another flying suit of armor with repulsor-blasts and whatnot making Vision more distinct from Iron Man, War Machine, and the other Avengers. They could easily have Coulson actually be alive but comatose (covered up by Fury until they manage to find a way to save him)

Scarlet Witch and/or Quicksilver, I hope they leave out. Apparently Avengers OR X-Men can use those characters, provided they remove any & all references to the other 'universe' (ie Wanda & Pietro could be Avengers, but they wouldn't be mutants since mutants don't exist in the Marvel Studios films). They can do Black Panther, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel (or just call her Captain Marvel), and more. Even if Disney dropped the massive amount of money required to buy back the rights to Spider-Man and the X-Men, I don't think that means Spidey or Wolverine should join the movie team. They're great on the Avengers in the comics, but it's massive overkill for the films.

Hawkeye & Black Widow may not be able to hold a solo movie...but TOGETHER, and with Nick Fury? They could make one amazing SHIELD movie with them.

Reaction score
Avengers 2: Divide and Conquer

Thanos splits the team in two by sending Captain America, Hulk, and Thor off world to another Planet where they are made to fight for their lives Gladiatorial style. Meanwhile the arguably weaker non super-powered Avengers with a couple new members are left to fend off another even greater and widespread alien invasion of the Planet Earth.

There is my pitch for the 2nd film.

Reaction score
Might be a better pitch for a Justice League movie... with Mongul (another Thanos/Darkseid 'lookalike') as the baddie. He's already got a gladiatorial-themed world: Warworld! (sometimes it's more like a Death Star, but in the Justice League animated series it was a 'duel to the death' gladiator-world)

Reaction score
Might be a better pitch for a Justice League movie... with Mongul (another Thanos/Darkseid 'lookalike') as the baddie. He's already got a gladiatorial-themed world: Warworld! (sometimes it's more like a Death Star, but in the Justice League animated series it was a 'duel to the death' gladiator-world)
The Gladiatorial combat world concept has been explored in marvel also in several different variations including the Secret Wars. How cool would it be to see all the Marvel properties build up to that on the big screen?

I honestly don't care how they do it but I really think restricting the action of Avengers 2 to Planet Earth would be a huge mistake.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In a way I agree it would be nice to see different locations, but them you'd lose that fighting for humanity and earth vibe.
Which is really what IMO made it a great movie, otherwise your average person might just see it as another Sci-Fi movie.

But I do like your divide and conquer idea!

I also believe that Ant-Mant and Wasp could work in live action, just reinvent them a little like they've done to other characters.
No need to dwell on their personal issues etc.
Just use them as support characters not actual front line soldiers, you never know when you might need someone the size of an ant or a twenty story building.