Terminator movies

Reaction score
As someone older the 40, im a little embarrassed to say i saw the terminator 1 and 2 for the first time this weekend

I had so many questions on the time travel stuff. I asked my wife and she told me it was just a movie, dont think about stuff.

Spoilers ahead on this 40 yr old movie

In t1, you learn that the terminator was created by the machines and the ai computer built by skynet.
In t2, you find the guy that made the ai machine based his research on the terminator processor recovered in the first movie

To me this creates a big issue in my head because if the processor was based on the t1 cyborg, how was the t1 cyborg originally created without the time travel. Additionally if the father of john was actually from the future, how was john ever the leader to send him back, considering he wasn't conceived until the first time travel.

I haven't seen any others yet, so if its explained in any others, pls let me know

It was good movie as far as the action but it didn't make much sense

Last edited:
Reaction score
Firstly wow, I'm astonished that you've never seen those two movies before now! That is quite a stretch to have never watched one of the most popular franchises. Secondly, you should know by now that trying to explain time travel stories is just asking for a mega headache. If Star Trek has taught me anything it's to not concern yourself with those inconsistencies, you'll end up in a circular arguments for far too long.

Reaction score
Probably your right. I think i will watch the whole series. i really like the first 2

GNT

Reaction score
Love the films but time travel in general is a mess.

Reaction score
The 1st 2 movies are good, but back in the day EVERYONE asked me to make copies of T2 for them to the point I just stopped liking the movie, so I have only seen bits & pieces of the follow ups. My wife liked the T TV series when it was on.

At some point they kind of forgot about their own time travel rules.

Reaction score
The one I really just don't like is Salvation, Genesys I feel gets too much criticism and is slightly underrated. I think the basic premise is good it just lacks in certain areas, as all films do in some way. The very last one was okay if not seeming a bit out of context. If you're going to essentially reboot with new characters/story why even bring in Sara and Classic T-500 at all? To try and give it gravitas or bring in the the old fan base similar to how Disney Star Wars attempted with the ST?

T1 & T2 are pretty self contained within a story arc and are good in that sense, which means they will always reign superior and overall better. IMO
T3 was another okay movie, don't love it nor hate it.

Reaction score
the last one was supposed to be a direct sequel to T2, effectively completing the 'cameron trilogy' (comprised of T1, T2, and dark fate) -- the audience is meant to ignore ALL the other movies as if they didn't exist, and just take T1 and T2 as "official canon" going into Dark Fate.

end result: dark fate ironically falls into the latter category -- meaning: it can be safely ignored as if it didn't exist LOL-- the audience can STILL just take T1 and T2 as "offical canon" and ignore everything else (including "dark fate"). :rolleyes: good game.

(it might have been better if cameron had actually acknowledged the other movies too, and somehow, managed to write a sequel to 'everything' all at once -- rather than JUST a sequel to T2).

(by asking us to ignore -everything- after T2, he basically invalidated the lion's share of the entire franchise... INCLUDING his own sequel. LOL) o_O

Reaction score
If it's meant as a direct sequel to 1 and 2 then there shouldn't have been new characters introduced as those movies center around protection of Sarah Connor as the one who will birth their savior in the future. Dark Fate kind of makes it seem that was basically unnecessary since "there was another".

GNT

Reaction score
I didn’t mind Salvation at all, it’s not T2 level good so I’d put it in the watchable category but it was something different in the mix From the Arnie movies.

Reaction score
it just feels like it wasnt well thought out.
quite the contrary****

it was intentionally written to be a "predestination paradox" (or "causal loop").

as per the article:

have you ever heard anyone say "time travel is theoretically possible, because:science! quantum mecahnics says it CAN happen! so there!"

ok well, as it turns out, "Science" actually says, time travel is ONLY possible in a self-consistent scenario -- (aka: a "causal loop") -- this is the ONLY form of "time travel" that is permitted by the laws of physics.

ie: IF you go back in time and "change the past" in any significant way, then, unfortunately, you would never go back in time to begin with -- because the future you are travelling back from, will never ultimately take place.

the ONLY way you can go back in time and "change the past" is IF you change it, in such a way, that it actually results in you going back in time to change the past.:p (LOL)

time travel is ONLY possible , IF it creates this "causal loop" (which is so annoying in the terminator movies) -- any other scenario would violate the laws of physics.

that is why the "Causal loop" has been the basis of every time travel movie ever made (save: avengers endgame) -- the ONLY way time travel can actually happen (within the same universe)... is when those 'past-changes' actually support the 'future-time-travel'.

(if that makes any sense).

Physicist Joseph Polchinski argued that one could avoid questions of free will by considering a potentially paradoxical situation involving a billiard ball sent back in time. In this situation, the ball is fired into a wormhole at an angle such that, if it continues along its course, it will exit in the past at just the right angle to hit its earlier self, knocking it off course, which would stop it from entering the wormhole in the first place.** Thorne referred to this problem as "Polchinski's paradox".[5] Two students at Caltech, Fernando Echeverria and Gunnar Klinkhammer, went on to find a solution that avoided any inconsistencies. In the revised scenario, the ball would emerge from the future at a different angle than the one that had generated the paradox, and delivers its past self a glancing blow instead of knocking it completely away from the wormhole. This blow changes its trajectory by just the right degree, meaning it will travel back in time with the angle required to deliver its younger self the necessary glancing blow***. Echeverria and Klinkhammer actually found that there was more than one self-consistent solution, with slightly different angles for the glancing blow in each case. Later analysis by Thorne and Robert Forward showed that for certain initial trajectories of the billiard ball, there could actually be an infinite number of self-consistent solutions.

**in this scenario: you change the timeline, in such a way, that your journey to the past becomes impossible.
aka: NOT a self-consistent scenario.

***in this scenario: you change the timeline, in such a way, that you end up journeying to the past (in order to change the timeline).
aka: a "self consistent" scenario.
(( aka: a "causal loop" -- as seen in the Terminator movies -- and back to the future -- and star ttrek -- and every time travel trope ever written (save Avengers Endgame) :p LOL))

****this is the ONLY form of time travel that is permitted by the 'Laws of Physics' ;) cheers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
While I understand the concept, it's only accurate to "our" understanding of physics. And that changes every time a new breakthrough in our understanding of the Universe happens. There is a lot we Humans still don't know or understand about a great many things, and considering scientists change their stance about as much as a flip flopping senator I take anything that say under advisement for the interim.

This theory is in favor of time travel not being possible because nothing you do today would ever cause you to go back in time, currently we lack the technology to even do so. If in 100 years it's possible then there would be no reason to go back because you're dead.

Reaction score
I think it seems like a paradox because we perceive time as linear. And beyond that, we can only perceive time in one dimension, forward. Maybe time is not linear at all. It's only linear to us humans because we can only exist that way and it is difficult for us comprehended anything else. Much like a person who is living a 2D existence cannot comprehend a 3D existence. To a 2D person the physical world is linear and can only go in 2 directions If a 3D human interacted with the 2D it would seem like magic to the 2D person. We could move from one point to another on the 2D plane instantaneously and it would seem magical to the 2D person as if we disappeared and reappeared someplace else. It would seem like a paradox to that 2D person. A 2D person can only see the physical world as a linear existence, but we 3D humans are capable of seeing and existing more than a 2D person. So, what if it's possible for a being to exist in a dimension beyond ours. They could move in and out of our time and space, and to us it would seem magical.

Reaction score
^^ that's why this is the only form of time travel that is possible, "within the same universe" ;)

Endgame got around this, by introducing more than one universe. :p LOL

to extend your analogy, that would be like "more than one 2D plane" -- ie: to your 2D person, trapped on his 2D plane, the existence of another 2D plane would be the equivalent of another universe -- and your 3D person would have access to more than one 2D universe, all at the same time (he could flip from one 2D universe to another, like pages in a book).

the "Science" above is limited to just one universe (our own), so that's why it concludes that time travel is only possible in a self-sustaining scenario.

So, what if it's possible for a being to exist in a dimension beyond ours. They could move in and out of our time and space, and to us it would seem magical.
in that scenario, then all bets are off :p LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh wow, but that's OKAY! Everyone starts somewhere. For me? I didn't see the Diehard movies until my LATE 20's. I have NO IDEA WHY, I was embarrassed because I loved the original three so much...especially that first and third.

I've got mixed emotions on the fate of the Terminator franchise now.

T1: Masterpiece. In fact, it's MY favorite of them because I really enjoyed this being pretty much straight-up horror. This is def the heaviest on scary, the others are MUCH more action oriented. Arnold played an INCREDIBLE villain. He's TERRRIFYING in this film. One thing rather funny about the film though, IMO, is how dated that score is. I'll always love it, but man does it ooze 80's.

T2: Seems to be the crowd favorite. I still love it, but do prefer the original. Certainly one of the best sequels of all time though, up there with Empire Strikes Back and Aliens.

T3: I have really mix emotions on this one in particular. It's just too silly at times, yet also...depressing. I mean, you always got this sort of sense that they COULD prevent the "apocalypse," this movie's like....NAH! It's destined!

Salvation: I was so excited for this film. I always wanted an ENTRE film set in the post-take over. We only ever got flashbacks. But once I saw it...it was kind of disappointing for me. I actually like this one, but it's got issues. Some of the action is a little too over-the-top for me. Like John gets impaled...and still survives? Little much. One of my biggest issues? Showing Marcus was a Terminator IN the trailer. WHY? That would have hit SO much harder had they kept it a surprise. But I'd say this is my favorite outside of the original two.

The rest: I can't even REMEMBER WELL the other two...and for a reason. Wasn't a fan at all. I even saw them, but after the last one...I was left with the feeling of "Let's just let this franchise die for a while, guys."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Similar the the Predator franchise. lol

Which on a side not apparently the original writers are suing for the rights back, and we all know how that will end against Disney.

Reaction score
Similar the the Predator franchise. lol

Which on a side not apparently the original writers are suing for the rights back, and we all know how that will end against Disney.
Yes very much so. That last Predator.....OH BOY....OOOOOOOH BOY. I even KIND OF liked the 3rd one, Predators, though it's got issues. But this latest one....I've got no words for HOW bad. It got sci-fi channel original movie levels of bad at time just with budget. People though that second was bad? It's like freaking Shakespearian compared!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes very much so. That last Predator.....OH BOY....OOOOOOOH BOY. I even KIND OF liked the 3rd one, Predators, though it's got issues. But this latest one....I've got no words for HOW bad. It got sci-fi channel original movie levels of bad at time just with budget. People though that second was bad? It's like freaking Shakespearian compared!
Sci-fi channel original movie levels of bad!! LMFAO!!!!!

Reaction score
Oh man, I hope that hot mess isn't you defense! 😲

Kidding aside Sci-Fi usually did pretty good with most of their series, their Movies on the other hand seemed as if they were purposely going for b-rated schtick with actors that felt like they were friends and family relatives just helping out.