Terminator Genisys

Reaction score
not sure I want to see a geriatric terminator. but then again.. I suppose if they can use CGI to make Jeff Bridges look young in "Tron" then I guess they can do the same for Ahnold.. in that case..
..not sure I want to see a CGI terminator.

GNT

Reaction score
not sure I want to see a geriatric terminator. but then again.. I suppose if they can use CGI to make Jeff Bridges look young in "Tron" then I guess they can do the same for Ahnold.. in that case..
..not sure I want to see a CGI terminator.
They'll need to do a lot of work on Arnie to make him look good ;)

Reaction score
Emilia is cute (nice butt on GOT, lol), but not an obvious choice for Sarah Connor. Linda Hamilton brought such an intense, bruising physicality to the role that it will be incredibly difficult for any actress, let alone one as relatively inexperienced as Emilia Clarke, to eclipse. Add to that the fact that Schwarzenegger is looking increasingly craggy and you have a film that will have a tough time meeting expectations, however tempered they might be following the last two films.

Another thing: I wish I could say that I am delighted by the announcement of Alan Taylor, TV veteran and and the man responsible for Thor: The Dark World, as director of Terminator 5, but the fact of the matter is that nothing in this man's oeuvre does anything to arouse even the slightest bit of confidence. The Dark World was, to invoke Macbeth's complaint about life, "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." The even greater offense is that its sound and fury were not entertaining, nor did it signify nothing in a way that effectively concealed that fact while I was watching it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah Sarah Conner is going tom be tough role to fill, after us having a certain image in our heads for so many years. I hope they stick with the same type of character, and not change it up for the Twilight generation!

As many of the good things I've heard concerning Game of Thrones, I have a little hope that it could be good. But honestly I'm not invested in these movies and never really have been that much after the first two. It wouldn't bother me at all to never see another Terminator movie, I have the two I like on Blu-Ray!

I have more respect for people who come up with their own ideas, and trying to create something new to see. Than I do of someone drudging up these reboots.

Reaction score
Linda Hamilton brought such an intense, bruising physicality to the role
This is true of Terminator 2, but in the original, Hamilton was a soft, weak little waitress who didn't have a clue what to do when things went bad. Until the very end, she was very much the damsel in distress.

That said, I don't think Emilia Clarke is any slouch in the acting department. Even if she doesn't have a long resume, that doesn't mean she's lacking in skill. There have been Oscar-winners made from a single role. She has a pretty solid gravitas about her on GoT, so I think she'll do just fine.

Reaction score
This is true of Terminator 2, but in the original, Hamilton was a soft, weak little waitress who didn't have a clue what to do when things went bad. Until the very end, she was very much the damsel in distress.

That said, I don't think Emilia Clarke is any slouch in the acting department. Even if she doesn't have a long resume, that doesn't mean she's lacking in skill. There have been Oscar-winners made from a single role. She has a pretty solid gravitas about her on GoT, so I think she'll do just fine.
True dat. The nature of the story dictated that Sarah Connor would, at the time of T2, be a stronger character. And Linda Hamilton rose to the challenge.

I'm probably being unfair in dismissing Emilia as a lightweight. I have very little to go on except for GOT. Perhaps I should be more concerned about the director. I don't see why the Ellisons, with their vast resources, don't simply hire a better filmmaker to steward this franchise.

GNT

Reaction score
J.K. Simmons Joins Terminator: Genesis

Possibly one of the most recognizable character actors of the past decade and a half, J.K. Simmons, who famously played J. Jonah Jameson in Sam Raimi's three "Spider-Man" movies, has been picked by director Alan Taylor to play a role in the upcoming Terminator: Genesis as a "weary and alcoholic detective who has followed a bizarre case involving Sarah Connor and robots for more than three decades."
The reboot of the franchise being produced by Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions will bring back Arnold Schwarzenegger in the title role with Jai Courtney playing Kyle Reese, Jason Clarke as John Connor and "Game of Thrones" star Emilia Clarke playing Sarah Connor. The idea is to thread together ideas from the previous movies to relaunch the story of a cyborg from the future sent back to prevent computers from gaining sentience and turning on humanity.

The Hollywood Reporter notes that Simmons' character has been following the case since 1984, which is the year in which the original Terminator, directed by James Cameron, was released.

Simmons has been a regular on the big screen for many years, but he recently returned to television starring in NBC's comedy "Growing Up Fisher" and recently co-starred in the Sundance award-winning drama Whiplash opposite Miles Teller, which will be released by Sony Pictures Classics. He can also be seen daily on TV in commercials for Farmers Insurance.

Reaction score
Wait a minute... So is this a reboot of the original movie or a continuation reboot? Be cause how can he study a 30 year old case, if they are recasting the characters?

I really like his new show, Growing Up Fisher though. Pretty funny..

GNT

Reaction score
Continuation reboot perhaps makes sense at this stage. Does seem weird, maybe they'll throw in a few nods to the previous films?

Reaction score
Wait a minute... So is this a reboot of the original movie or a continuation reboot? Be cause how can he study a 30 year old case, if they are recasting the characters?
Um... time travel? Young, pre-buff Sarah Conner gets yanked 30 years into the future?

Or, maybe the detective follows a Terminator through a space warp into an alternate universe where the Terminator kills Sarah's father the day Sarah is born and as a result she becomes a real jerk because she didn't have a father figure growing up. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
... J.K. Simmons, who famously played J. Jonah Jameson in Sam Raimi's three "Spider-Man" movies
either Im dumb or hes awesome (no comments from the peanut gallery), because I never put two and two together that it was him playing that part. Great actor though

GNT

Reaction score
Um... time travel? Young, pre-buff Sarah Conner gets yanked 30 years into the future?
In the Sarah Conner Chronicle TV show John Conner (I'm pretty sure it was him) travels into the future from the modern day in the final episode.

GNT

Reaction score
They can travel through time... but can't turn back the years! Schwarzenegger, 66, reveals his Terminator will be covered in 'aged' human skin in sci-fi series' new film

His famous 'I'll be back' line from Terminator is one of the most popular quotes in cinema history. And now Arnold Schwarzenegger has filmed his first scenes as he returns to his cyborg role in Terminator: Genesis.

The 66-year-old actor was seen in jeans and a khaki jacket as he filmed alongside Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke, 27, in New Orleans on Wednesday.

But while the sci-fi series depicts time-travelling robots who return to the past to change the future, it seems there is one aspect about time that cannot be altered in the future: getting old.

Schwarzenegger has revealed how writers have come up with a plot that involves cyborgs disguised using human skin that ages... as it was the only way they could explain why his T-800 looked older, with grey hair.

He told MTV: 'Terminator deals a lot with time travel, so there will be a younger T-800, and then what that model does later on when it gets reprogrammed, and who gets a hold of him. So it will be all kinds of interesting twists in the movie, but I feel so good.'

He added: 'The way that the character is written, it's a machine underneath. It's this metal skeleton. But above that is human flesh. And the Terminator's flesh ages, just like any other human being's flesh. Maybe not as fast. But it definitely ages.'

Emilia sported blonde hair in the Game of Thrones series for her regal character Daenerys Targaryen, the ‘Queen of the Dragons’.

But in Game of Thrones, is now a brunette for her role as Sarah Connor.
The part of her son, robot-busting warrior John Connor is being played by Jason Clarke, 44.

The age difference between the mother and son suggests that time-travel will be involved in the film, which is set to be released on July 1.

Jai Courtney, 28, will play John Connor's father, Kyle Reece.
The cast filmed a scene where Emilia and Jai were each dressed in blue scrubs with a gun in hand, pointing it at their co-star Jason, meanwhile, Arnold stands by as the action unfolds.

He will reprise the role he first played in 1984's The Terminator, after he was forced to step down while he was the Governor of California between 2003 - 2011.
He said Jameson Empire Awards last month : 'The last time when they did The Terminator it was when I was governor and so I couldn't be in that movie, but now I'm back again and they are very excited about having me in the film.

'The script is fantastic, so I'm really looking forward to this film.'

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing Emilia Clarke on the big screen and curious to hear her American accent.

If only they could find a way to get Linda Hamilton into an episode of Game of Thrones, the circle would be complete.

Reaction score
I have an old T-shirt I found at a Salvation Army that says 'Genesys'. I bought it cuz it sounded like something to do with cloning or gene splicing... I didn't know it was all about Skynet! What do you bet Genisys is a subsidiary of Cyberdyne?!?

GNT

Reaction score
Don't care what the movie is called, just give me a solid film!

GNT

Reaction score
Already talks of sequels to this Terminator Genisys already:

Terminator Genisys Sets Sequels for Both 2017 and 2018!

The fifth big screen Terminator film, Terminator Genisys, is already set to hit the big screen on July 1, 2015. Now, Paramount Pictures has lined up two additional sequels. One will arrive on May 19, 2017 and the other on June 29, 2018.

The 2017 film (temporarily dubbed Terminator 2) will open one week before Warner Bros.’ The LEGO Movie sequel, while the 2018 film (Terminator 3) will open two weeks after a still-unrevealed Pixar feature.

Although nothing has been officially confirmed, it appears very likely that the next two films will shoot back to back.

Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, J.K. Simmons, Dayo Okeniyi, Byung Hun Lee and Matt Smith, Terminator Genisys is directed by Thor: The Dark World‘s Alan Taylor from a screenplay by Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier. David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance Productions are producing. Skydance’s Paul Schwake, Annapurna Pictures’ Megan Ellison, Kalogridis and Lussier are executive producing.

Reaction score
Every time I see the title of this, I wonder what is going on with the blatantly bad spelling. I'm just going to have to try to ignore it.

GNT

Reaction score
The trailer is out and can be viewed here, this film will be glossing over events that occurred in the first 3 films but in a new way :)

kk1

Reaction score
The trailer is out and can be viewed here, this film will be glossing over events that occurred in the first 3 films but in a new way :)
Thought it sounded dumb but the trailer actually looks good. (though I'm not liking Kyle Reese, what happened to the starving stringy scrapper barely surviving? this guy looks like makes a weekly run to GNC)

Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely sounded like weird setup. And even does seem confusing, but the trailer makes it look like it will be interestingly cool?

Reaction score
Thought it sounded dumb but the trailer actually looks good. (though I'm not liking Kyle Reese, what happened to the starving stringy scrapper barely surviving? this guy looks like makes a weekly run to GNC)
I agree. They couldn't find a decent actor who more resembles Michael Biehn? Although it looks like Emilia Clarke really fits the Sarah Connor role.

Reaction score
They couldn't find a decent actor who more resembles Michael Biehn?
They should have gone with Sebastian Stan, from the Captain America films:

Anyways, I'm not sure if I buy the explanation that the Terminators are covered in skin that ages. Seems too contrived to me, just because they need to find a way to explain why Arnold looks older. Honestly, if they were intent on recasting everyone else, then why not just recast Schwarzenegger as well? Get another bodybuilder who can barely act if necessary (although it doesn't make any sense for the Terminators to be super muscular when they're supposed to blend in with a population of starving humans). If the story was well written and the actors invested in their roles, then audiences would get over the changes.

Reaction score
I agree. They couldn't find a decent actor who more resembles Michael Biehn?
Why would they, their John Connor doesn't resemble the one that came before. Plus I'm sure they want to separate themselves from the successful movies...

Reaction score
Why would they, their John Connor doesn't resemble the one that came before. Plus I'm sure they want to separate themselves from the successful movies...
But they still keep Arnold, which totally kills any interest I had in this movie. What's the point of having Terminators that exist so long that they start to age? I thought they were exterminators, not deep cover agents. They were designed to look like humans for the sole purpose of getting past perimeter defenses and then killing as many people as possible, not to blend in for years at a time. Since the Terminators all seem to have the same personality, it'd only take a few seconds to figure out what they were and all you would need to do is attempt to start a conversation with one of them. So time is actually their enemy and the longer they are around other humans the more likely it is that they will be discovered.

"So who do you think the Terminator is in our group?"
"I dunno, maybe it's that guy who nevers shows any emotion, never sleeps or gets injured and never actually eats anything, but still manages to be a 280-pound, muscular powerhouse."
"Nah, it couldn't be him."

The whole idea of a robot covered in skin that ages is just an idiotic plot device that exists solely to explain why Arnold is in the movie. In reality that living tissue would start to rot and fall off of their endoskeleton within days. Since these Terminators were created for the sole purpose of exterminating the starving remnants of humanity, then there is no logical reason that Skynet would have designed them to maintain their human appearance for years on end.

Reaction score
The promos for this film have all been so tacky. The re-use of old lines to pander to the masses doesn't bode well either.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Get another bodybuilder who can barely act if necessary (although it doesn't make any sense for the Terminators to be super muscular when they're supposed to blend in with a population of starving humans).
In fact, the original choice for the Terminator in the first film was Lance Henriksen (Bishop from Aliens), for that very reason. But they ended up giving him the cop role.

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbshvW8Pl8w

^^^ Endorsement by none other than James Cameron himself! Now that has 'put a cat amonst the pigeons' so to speak!

Also of equal interest (IMO) is reading (across the interwebs) some terminator 'fans' opinions of Terminator: Genisys suddenly turning 180 degrees in the opposite direction (from hate, to love just like that!) :p

Could this be evidence of 'The James Cameron Effect' in action?

Breathtaking to observe... :wtf:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll watch anything with Aronld. One of my favorite actors. I'm hoping the rumors of a new Conan movie with him are true.