Terminator Genisys

Reaction score
Why would Skynet send a robot back in time that looks like a 70 year old fart?
Hmmm... My feeling is that Arnie will play the human resistance soldier that gets captured by Skynet, and used as the 'life model' for the T-800 series (essentially, similar to the Sgt Candy plotline, that was filmed in T3 but not used).

As to arnie still playing T-800s (as he is now), that will require alot of CG make-up / digital de-aging processes, that they may as well use a CG model of him instead (like they did with Terminator Salvation).

GNT

Reaction score
Hmmm... My feeling is that Arnie will play the human resistance soldier that gets captured by Skynet, and used as the 'life model' for the T-800 series (essentially, similar to the Sgt Candy plotline, that was filmed in T3 but not used).

As to arnie still playing T-800s (as he is now), that will require alot of CG make-up / digital de-aging processes, that they may as well use a CG model of him instead (like they did with Terminator Salvation).
Wow I've never seen that Sgt Candy scene before, it's a bit silly but helps explain why it's him.

I hope they do down the path of Terminator Salvation since that worked well with them using a CGI head on a real actor's body, Arnie is out of shape and old to be playing the role forever more, a fitter body actor could do the role justice.

Reaction score
Why would Skynet ever make any two Terminators that look alike anyway? Not the best covert infiltrators if they all look like that one same big meat head IMHO.

All the different variations of Terminators was one of my favorite aspects of The Sarah Connor chronicles.

GNT

Reaction score
Why would Skynet ever make any two Terminators that look alike anyway? Not the best covert infiltrators if they all look like that one same big meat head IMHO.
Cheaper to make when you don't have to redesign them.... if Skynet can make and release Terminators, makes you wonder why Hasbro sucks at making 3 inch figures :p

In Salvation we saw a couple different non Arnie Terminators which was a nice change.

Reaction score

All the different variations of Terminators was one of my favorite aspects of The Sarah Connor chronicles.
That's the sixty-four million dollar question to ask James Cameron... :p ...and no, it didn't make any sense, as infiltration units either.

My vain hope is that someday, TSSC series conclusion would be filmed and completed - the end of season 2 left me absolutely hungry for more, but alas it was not to be... [shakes fist at FOX] :mad:

Reaction score
They cancelled it for the idiotic Dollhouse show. What a great choice, that show got cancelled in less than a year.

Reaction score
They cancelled it for the idiotic Dollhouse show. What a great choice, that show got cancelled in less than a year.
Actually Dollhouse was in production long before Terminator SCC got the axe. Dollhouse was also far from idiotic it was a damn awesome show but you have to hang with the story through some slow patches at the beginning of the series.

Unofficial word was that it was not so much Fox that had much to do with SCC getting canceled and more to do with Warner Bros and Sony wanting it done away with so it would not confuse people when their Terminator film Salvation came out. Sarah Connor went off the air in 2009 and Salvation came out the same year. McG was all roaring to go with a new Trilogy but then Salvation bombed. You do the math.

Reaction score
Actually Dollhouse was in production long before Terminator SCC got the axe. Dollhouse was also far from idiotic it was a damn awesome show but you have to hang with the story through some slow patches at the beginning of the series.

Unofficial word was that it was not so much Fox that had much to do with SCC getting canceled and more to do with Warner Bros and Sony wanting it done away with so it would not confuse people when their Terminator film Salvation came out. Sarah Connor went off the air in 2009 and Salvation came out the same year. McG was all roaring to go with a new Trilogy but then Salvation bombed. You do the math.
Hmmm... perhaps I should just shake my fist at... at... Math!!!!!!! :p

All joking aside - it was a real shame that SCCs got cancelled - just when it started to get real interesting too... :(

GNT

Reaction score
Paramount Pictures Takes The Terminator

Paramount Pictures looks like it's going to be the new home of The Terminator as The Wrap reports that Annapurna and Skydance are negotiating with the studio to team on the next entry in the blockbuster franchise.

As reported earlier this year, Patrick Lussier and Laeta Kalogridis are teaming up to script the next installment. Lussier directed Drive Angry and My Bloody Valentine 3D while Kalogridis penned Shutter Island and did some script work on James Cameron's Avatar.

Arnold Schwarzenegger himself recently confirmed that he intends to be involved in the new film, which marks the franchise's fifth big screen entry.

GNT

Reaction score
Terminator 5 Planning Early 2014 Production?

Terminator 5 may be on the way sooner than expected. Reporting from Arnold Schwarzenegger's 21st Century Financial Education Summit in Perth, Australia, TheArnoldFans.com brings an update to the state of the project which seems to mesh with yesterday's news of the franchise moving to Paramount Pictures.

"'Terminator 5' starts filming early 2014," they quote the star as having announced during his presentation.

As reported earlier this year, Patrick Lussier and Laeta Kalogridis are teaming up to script the next installment. Lussier directed Drive Angry and My Bloody Valentine 3D while Kalogridis penned Shutter Island and did some script work on James Cameron's Avatar.

Although specific quotes are not available, the site goes on to say that Schwarzenegger named January or February of 2014 for a potential start date and that he's set to receive the final screenplay for Terminator 5 (as well as his comedy sequel Triplets) in the next few weeks. Check back for updates on both projects as soon as they become available.

Reaction score
Hopefully, Arnold doesn't actually play the Terminator onscreen again. I think he's way too old for that now. I wouldn't mind if they used an all digital Terminator this time around. The one from Salvation looked promising, but it could probably look so much better with more development time.

GNT

Reaction score
Dwayne Johnson Joining Terminator 5?

Little is known about the upcoming Terminator 5 except that the film is happening. Now, a report form the WWE Examiner (via AICN) has some very possibly juicy details on the cast and its setting. They say that actor Dwayne Johnson is being courted to join the film but hasn't officially signed on. Production for the film is targeting a January start date, and with Johnson currently filming Hercules in Hungary, his schedule could line up properly to appear in the film.

The next chunk they have on the film is on the setting for the story. According to Examiner sources, the setting for Terminator 5 will be set before the birth of Sarah Connor and focus on her parents in the 1940s and 50s. This scenario would once again involve a Terminator(s) being sent back in time to kill a target, only this time it's decades before the attempts on Sarah and John Connor. None of this is confirmed at this time.

It would be nice to finally see Dwayne Johnson as a Terminator, the guy is already built like one :p

GNT

Reaction score
Alan Taylor to Direct the New Terminator Movie!

"Game of Thrones" and Thor: The Dark World director Alan Taylor is in talks to direct the Terminator reboot for Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions and Annapurna Pictures, reports Variety.

The first in a stand-alone trilogy, Terminator will be produced by Megan Ellison of Annapurna and David Ellison of Skydance. Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake of Skydance will serve as executive producers. Laeta Kalorgridis (Avatar, Shutter Island) and Patrick Lussier (Drive Angry) are attached to write the screenplay.

Terminator is scheduled to hit theaters on June 26, 2015.

Reaction score
So are we looking at yet ano0ther reboot, or a continuation linked with the others?

Reaction score
Sounds like a reboot. Great. Because it's not like there's time travel in Terminator or anything.

I swear Hollywood just likes to rehash old ideas but always wants to start over because they can't think of anything cool to add to the original stories...

Reaction score
I totally agree with you AC. Sadly people still turn up in droves supporting all these regurgitations that Hollyweird continues to puke out.

Reaction score
And honestly I think these new versions actually serves more to alienate old fans than making new ones.

GNT

Reaction score
If it's a reboot the older versions don't really matter to the new trilogy. I doubt it'll get off the ground, T4 was meant to start off of a new trilogy and look what happened after that.

Reaction score
Sounds like a reboot. Great. Because it's not like there's time travel in Terminator or anything.

I swear Hollywood just likes to rehash old ideas but always wants to start over because they can't think of anything cool to add to the original stories...
Thank you!! And you are correct sir, they CANNOT think of anything new. When I saw the horrible 80s slasher B movies and corny TV shows being redone I truly knew it was over in about 8 years ago.

GNT

Reaction score
Alan Taylor's Terminator Reboot Moves to July 1, 2015

Following recent word that "Game of Thrones" and Thor: The Dark World helmer Alan Taylor is set to direct the Terminator reboot, Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions and Annapurna Pictures have shifted the film's release date by one week. Originally planned to hit theaters on June 26, 2015, the film will now grace the big screen on July 1, 2015.

The first in a stand-alone trilogy, Terminator will be produced by Megan Ellison of Annapurna and David Ellison of Skydance. Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake of Skydance will serve as executive producers. Laeta Kalorgridis (Avatar, Shutter Island) and Patrick Lussier (Drive Angry) are attached to write the screenplay.

The new date puts Terminator up against 20th Century Fox's Independence Day 2 and a still-untitled Illumination Entertainment animated film.

Reaction score
2015 is going to be the best year for movies!

Last edited:
Reaction score

GNT

Reaction score
If they can do a series of films that flows well together then I'm up for whatever they can do. Just don't treat the original source material like crap in the process (New Robocop as an example with the suit).

Reaction score
I don't see how Batman Begins has any influence/inspiration on the Terminator. That said, I would be interested to see how they handle it in relegation to what's established. though I'm not really even that interested in this reboot at all.

Reaction score
the Terminator movies were strung together one at a time with no real "Trilogy" planned, they just made up the over-arcing story as they went along.. kinda like the Alien(s) franchise. and as such, it just rolls along, and bends here and there, with no real direction to the story. until ultimately, it basically goes nowhere, and needs to be "rebooted".

BOTH Terminator and Alien(s) could have benefited from a "PLAN" .. like the way Prometheus was 'planned' as a 3-movie arc.

--> granted, the Dark Knight did not start out to be "planned" as a trilogy .. but when you look at the three movies, as a whole, they gel together into a complete trilogy with a definite beginning, middle, and end.
THIS is what the Terminator needs. they need to develop story kernels for three movies at once, so they can tell this tale with a definite beginning/middle/end , instead of just making it up as they go along from one movie to the next, and ultimately, going NOWHERE.

(that's the only thing I can think of, re: Dark-Knight-As-Inspiration) :\

GNT

Reaction score
Three Actresses Up for Sarah Connor Role in Terminator Reboot

With his Thor: The Dark World hitting theaters today, director Alan Taylor is already hard at work on the preproduction of his next film, Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions and Annapurna Pictures' Terminator reboot. The Hollywood Reporter today brings word that a number of actresses are up for the Sarah Connor role, including "Game of Thrones" star Emilia Clarke (who previously worked with Taylor on the HBO series), 21 Jump Street's Brie Larson and About Time's Margot Robbie. The trade does make clear, however, that a fourth, unknown, actress is also being given heavy consideration.

Although no one has officially been cast in the franchise reboot, other roles are said to include both John Connor and Kyle Reese. The Dark Knight Rises star Tom Hardy is said to be Taylor's ideal for the former with TRON: Legacy's Garrett Hedlund among those reading for the latter.

Terminator is slated to hit theaters July 2, 2015.

Reaction score
I'm not looking forward to another Terminator film. The franchise is long past its sell-by date. Too bad James Cameron had to give away the rights to Terminator in order to get the first picture made. We would have been spared the mediocrity of Terminators 3 and 4. Whoever thought it would be a marvelous idea to hire McG to reinvigorate the Terminator franchise with Terminator 4: Salvation should have their head examined. Why studios continue to subsidize the work of an auteur of commercial schlock such as McG is one of life's enduring mysteries. I've seen stool samples that have better consistency than his films.

Anyway, I think it's important to note that, pursuant to US copyright law, the North American rights to the Terminator franchise will be returned to Cameron in 2019. With that in mind, I don't see how the Ellisons plan to complete a trilogy of Terminator films in such a short window of time. Realistically, the most they can hope for is to complete 2 pictures before Cameron reacquires the rights and either a) makes it prohibitively expensive for the Ellisons to continue making Terminator pictures, or b) retires the franchise.

In the more immediate future: as far as casting is concerned, I think Brie Larson is a sensational young actress. Have you seen The Spectacular Now or Short Term 12? She was wonderful in both of those movies. While a Terminator film is not likely to require "great acting," it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a talented young woman in a principal role.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
Jason Clarke in Talks to Play John Connor in the Terminator Reboot

Deadline is reporting that Zero Dark Thirty actor Jason Clarke is in early talks to take on the role of John Connor in the upcoming Terminator reboot, which is rumored to be titled "Terminator: Genesis." This announcement comes just one week after "Game of Thrones" star Emilia Clarke emerged as the frontrunner for the Sarah Connor role, with Short Term 12's Brie Larson still in contention as well.
Casting is still coming together for the project as it is reportedly looking to cast a new Kyle Reese, the father of John Connor, as well.

The Alan Taylor-directed film is slated to hit theaters on July 2, 2015.

Reaction score
Interesting...

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/termina ... 00926394/#

Quote:

TV show narrative to intersect with narrative in forthcoming 'Terminator' franchise reboot
“Terminator” continues to make good on its “I’ll be back” promise — this time, with a new TV show.

Skydance Prods. and Annapurna Pictures — the shingles behind Paramount’s 2015 “Terminator” reboot — have teamed to develop a fresh “Terminator” television series, hiring “X-Men: First Class” scribes Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller to write and exec produce.

TV project is said to follow a critical moment from the first “Terminator” film — where the film’s story goes one way, the upcoming television show will take that same moment in a completely different direction. Skydance and Annapurna expect the new “Terminator” TV series and rebooted “Terminator” film franchise to have intersecting narratives, as well.

Megan Ellison of Annapurna will produce the “Terminator” TV series with David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross of Skydance. Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier are on board as exec producers.

This won’t be the first time that “Terminator” has received the small screen treatment. “The Sarah Connor Chronicles,” a spinoff from the film franchise, aired on Fox for two seasons, from 2008-2009. Both Stentz and Miller worked on the drama as producers and scribes.

The pair’s credits also include Fox’s “Fringe” and feature film “Thor.” They are repped by Principato-Young.

Unquote.

GNT

Reaction score
Emilia Clarke is Officially Terminator's Sarah Connor!

Said to be one of two finalists for the role last week, "Game of Thrones" star Emilia Clarke has won the role of Sarah Connor in the upcoming Terminator reboot. Deadline has the news, reporting that Clarke joins the already-attached Arnold Schwarzenegger with Jason Clarke nearly set to play a later version of Sarah Connor's son, John Connor.

Alan Taylor, who has previously worked with Emilia Clarke on the hit HBO fantasy series, is directing the new film, which is slated to hit theaters July 2, 2015.