Terminator Genisys

GNT

Reaction score

Just a heads up on the Terminator franchise, with planning already for the 5th film.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
According to Variety, a fifth film in the Terminator franchise - directed by McG - is already in the planning stages and will hit box offices worldwide in 2011. The director's latest film Terminator Salvation, starring Christian Bale as humanity's savior John Connor, will open in theaters next summer. The director plans to continue working with the fan-favorite, critically-acclaimed actor, who has signed on for a total of three films.

According to the report, early response to the new Terminator Salvation film convinced producers to begin production of the fifth film prior to the opening of the fourth. While risky, considering the amount of positive feedback from fans regarding the new Terminator Salvation trailer, which hit the internet earlier this week, it's a safe bet one of the most popular sci-fi franchises in film history is here to stay...at least for the foreseeable future...

[/QUOTE]

Let's hope Terminator Salvation does well at the box office

Last edited:
Reaction score
Re: Terminator 5

GNT said:
Let's hope Terminator Salvation does well at the box office
Let's hope it's good enough to deserve a substantial box office take.
-theropod

Reaction score
Re: Terminator 5

I smell some kind of cliffhanging or an open-ended scene for the fourth film then.

GNT

Reaction score
Might still be in the works:

Arnold Schwarzenegger Updates on Terminator 5 and The Legend of Conan

Since Arnold Schwarzenegger ended his tenure as the governor of California, he has returned to the spotlight as a movie star. Appearing in The Last Stand earlier this year, Schwarzenegger has talked previously about returning to his iconic roles in a new Terminator and Conan film.

In an interview with Metro UK, the actor was asked whether Terminator 5 was still being planned: "We’re writing it now. There are three projects being written that involve me. One is Terminator 5, the other is a Conan movie that Universal is doing and there’s the sequel to Twins, which is called Triplets. We’ll all look quite different in that. The third triplet is Eddie Murphy, so figure that one out."

The last we heard about Terminator 5, Patrick Lussier and Laeta Kalogridis had been brought on to script the film for Skydance Productions and Annapurna Pictures.

As for The Legend of Conan, it is said to be a direct sequel to 1984's Conan the Barbarian and will ignore the events of both Conan the Destroyer and of the most recent reboot, 2011's Conan the Barbarian.

Reaction score
Remember when Terminator 2 pretty much closed up the loose threads so tightly a sequel wouldn't be needed, and now we have a fifth one in the works.

Reaction score
Thing is I don't even hate T3, as an action film its pretty darn good. Its just that T2 is nigh perfect, not just action but how deep everything is. Writing, characters, effects, I truly hold it high as one of the greatest films ever made.

Reaction score
I dunno, the last few times I've watched it I've agonized over the parts between the Pescadero escape and the attempt on Dyson's life. It just gets so slow. I don't need the T-800 humanized, I don't want to see it be John's dad... MAN!

The talk under the car about crying makes me want to smack them both.

Perfect other than that, though.

Reaction score
True, but I think it was Cameron wanting us to care about the T-800 more. If he was the way he was in the first Terminator a silent unstoppable killing machine he would be boring and we wouldn't care about some cyborg. John being the moral compass makes him interesting and develops him as a character. Besides in T2 Connor despite being a little d*** he still is a kid.

Reaction score
Here is my thoughts on the Terminator movies and why they don't really work logically right from the start.

Kyle Reese was a freakin' idiot who doomed humanity, OR The Death Of John Connor Prime.

As "Back To the Future" theorizes time moves in a straight line and branches into alternate timelines if at any point it is interfered with. With that in mind how did Kyle Reese go back in to time? John Connor sent him back. Who? John Connor. So without a doubt John Connor existed before Kyle Reese was ever sent back in time right? The John Connor that sent him back must have been fathered by someone other than that idiot Kyle "can't keep it in his pants" Reese that he sent back to save his mother. You follow? Kyle Reese personally TERMINATED the John Connor that sent him back in time before that John could ever even be born. Kyle interfered with Sarah's past and fathered a new abomination John Connor that never should have existed. Who knows if this kid will have what it takes to become Humanities greatest hope. Seems kinda unlikely. Would the genetic crap shoot that is life create a Kyle Jr. that would have the same stuff in him that made John Connor prime the heroic figure he was. Again, seems pretty unlikely and against all odds.

I have heard the "Time Loop" argument that suggests that Kyle was ALWAYS John's father and I'm sorry but I don't think it holds any water.

Time Travel makes my head hurt.

Reaction score
Here is my thoughts on the Terminator movies and why they don't really work logically right from the start.

Kyle Reese was a freakin' idiot who doomed humanity, OR The Death Of John Connor Prime.

As "Back To the Future" theorizes time moves in a straight line and branches into alternate timelines if at any point it is interfered with. With that in mind how did Kyle Reese go back in to time? John Connor sent him back. Who? John Connor. So without a doubt John Connor existed before Kyle Reese was ever sent back in time right? The John Connor that sent him back must have been fathered by someone other than that idiot Kyle "can't keep it in his pants" Reese that he sent back to save his mother. You follow? Kyle Reese personally TERMINATED the John Connor that sent him back in time before that John could ever even be born. Kyle interfered with Sarah's past and fathered a new abomination John Connor that never should have existed. Who knows if this kid will have what it takes to become Humanities greatest hope. Seems kinda unlikely. Would the genetic crap shoot that is life create a Kyle Jr. that would have the same stuff in him that made John Connor prime the heroic figure he was. Again, seems pretty unlikely and against all odds.

I have heard the "Time Loop" argument that suggests that Kyle was ALWAYS John's father and I'm sorry but I don't think it holds any water.

Time Travel makes my head hurt.

They actually talk about that (I think?) at the end of the first movie. John HAD to send Kyle back, because he already had.

That's the crux of the whole time-travel paradox.

Reaction score
True, but I think it was Cameron wanting us to care about the T-800 more. If he was the way he was in the first Terminator a silent unstoppable killing machine he would be boring and we wouldn't care about some cyborg. John being the moral compass makes him interesting and develops him as a character. Besides in T2 Connor despite being a little d*** he still is a kid.

Yup. And I love how while the T-800 is learning to become more human Sarah is slowly becoming like a Terminator.

Reaction score
They actually talk about that (I think?) at the end of the first movie. John HAD to send Kyle back, because he already had.

That's the crux of the whole time-travel paradox.
There is no way there could have been a John Connor in existence before Kyle was sent back then. If John Connor did not exist then who sent Kyle back the first time? There is no way that makes any damn sense.

GNT

Reaction score
Meh when it comes to time travel I just check my brain at the door and enjoy the show :p Thinking about it will just drive you insane.

Reaction score
Time travel can't exist, if you go back in time to fix something, then the time you left from changes so then you would never gone back in time in the first place.

Reaction score
I watched Bill and Ted last night.

They seriously just dropped off Lincoln and Joan of Arc to go be murdered...

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing T-5 happen (goodness knows its been on again/off again for quite some time now...)

I actually wouldn't mind seeing it carry on from the end of Terminator: Salvation...

or

seeing them do a Trek XI-style reboot of sorts and start back in the past again (circa 1984)...

:) Personally speaking: I'm hankering for a future war of the sort Cameron showed us in both T1 and T2.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Personally speaking: I'm hankering for a future war of the sort Cameron showed us in both T1 and T2.

You and me both. Can't believe they haven't done that yet. Salvation was the perfect chance, but they still held back.

Reaction score
:) Personally speaking: I'm hankering for a future war of the sort Cameron showed us in both T1 and T2.
^
I'm hankering for a hunk of cheese.

It might be cool to do a Trek style reboot and have Skynet wise up and just go back further in time and chase down and kill Sarah Connor when she was 15 or 16 year old. Reset EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
...Anyways let's get back onto topic - Terminator 5!

Reaction score
It might be cool to do a Trek style reboot and have Skynet wise up and just go back further in time and chase down and kill Sarah Connor when she was 15 or 16 year old. Reset EVERYTHING.
F that crap, it's time to go back and kill her while she's an infant in her crib!
If you want to stop something before it happens, you don't pick a target that could possibly defend themselves.

Reaction score
F that crap, it's time to go back and kill her while she's an infant in her crib!
If you want to stop something before it happens, you don't pick a target that could possibly defend themselves.
True....however I think a movie with a teenage (around John's age in T2) Sarah Connor story would be more exciting than a movie where a baby gets shot in the head.

GNT

Reaction score
Exactly, it makes sense to go back further and do the job correctly.

Reaction score
Exactly, it makes sense to go back further and do the job correctly.
My understanding is that due to Judgment Day pretty much wiping out all public records Skynet has very limited information on Sarah Connor's general whereabouts for most of her life.

Last edited:
Reaction score
True. Reese says they didn't even know what she looked like, which is why the Terminator was killing all of the Sarah Connors listed in the phone book.

Reaction score
True. Reese says they didn't even know what she looked like, which is why the Terminator was killing all of the Sarah Connors listed in the phone book.
I think I heard James Cameron himself give the explanation why Skynet just did not terminate Sarah as an infant or just go back further and kill her parents in either the commentary for T1 or T2 or at a some panel discussion.