Terminator Dark Fate (2019)

Reaction score
2019 marks 35 years since the original terminator. the rights to the franchise will revert back to James Cameron.

Cameron has announced plans for a "reboot / conclusion" of the first 2 movies. (it's unclear if this means a whole new trilogy ; or just a re-imagining of part3)

the new movie will be produced by James Cameron , and directed by Tim Miller (director of Deadpool).

After breaking box office records with the R-rated Deadpool, Tim Miller backed away from the sequel Deadpool 2, reportedly due to creative differences with star/executive producer Ryan Reynolds.
http://movieweb.com/terminator-reboot-director-tim-miller-producer-james-cameron/

sounds like a winner. time will tell.

Reaction score
2019 marks 35 years since the original terminator. the rights to the franchise will revert back to James Cameron.

Cameron has announced plans for a "reboot / conclusion" of the first 2 movies. (it's unclear if this means a whole new trilogy ; or just a re-imagining of part3)

the new movie will be produced by James Cameron , and directed by Tim Miller (director of Deadpool).

http://movieweb.com/terminator-reboot-director-tim-miller-producer-james-cameron/

sounds like a winner. time will tell.
I would absolutely be on board for a new part 3. T2 holds up extremely well and I'm not sure how well received a remake would be received. The first one I can take it or leave it.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not really on board for a reboot in the sense of a remake. I'm pretty fatigued by them at this point. Now a conclusion to the first two I could get behind. However, we're in R1 territory again with Arnie being too old. So CGI is needed once again on a major character. Unless it has nothing to do with him.

Although, the last one does have implications of rebooting the whole thing.

Reaction score
yeah. I would not want a full-series reboot starting @ 1 again. I would be in favor of a 'reboot' @ part 3... ie: a new conclusion to the first two.

in a way, I think cameron owes it to the franchise. he sold his rights to a bunch of hacks, and look what they all came up with, over the years..

it would be poetic justice for him to go back to exactly where he left off, and show 'em how its done. finish it properly, and put it to bed. once and for all.

(make it a true 'conclusion' -- to BOTH: the onscreen AND offscreen sagas of this franchise).

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
T2 is in my top 5 movies of all time and love Arnie but his so old now, I don't want to see an old Terminator on screen again and I don't want to see a reboot again that only lasts one movie errggghh before another reboot so for me it's really a tough spot to be in - I don't want a continuation since the franchise has run it's course and don't want a completely new story. *sigh*

I suppose if they reboot it and stick with it, they might be able to come up with an incredible trilogy of films.

Reaction score
But the way people talk about Avatar, how do you know his T3 would have been any better than what we got?

I thought the last movie had an interesting ending, and set up for a reboot though. You could say that the pivotal character could change to be Sara, not John. lol
Or some new one.

Reaction score
I couldnt imagine a remake of T2 that was on of the best movies in my lifetime. Please dont mess with T2...

Reaction score
I liked the first 2 movies but I really hate it when film franchises retcon/reboot every movie. It's not quite as bad with terminator since there's the time travel factor but even then it suffers some from "nevermind,the last movie didn't happen" retconning. Horror movies are especially bad about that.

GNT

Reaction score
The movie will be called Terminator Dark Fate and will be the follow up film to T2, everything else just never happened :p

Arnie is back and Gabriel Luna (Agents of Shield) will be the new Terminator

Reaction score
Just do a new story.

I agree..

1st- I'm not a fan of re-boots. I too would rather just see a continued story, and/or NEW story of any kind. Especially in Sci-Fi, fantasy, superhero genres there's soooo much to explore. Seeing the same thing over, just takes a bit away before you even set foot in the theater. But alas Hollywood has no creativity anymore, and everything is so focused on inclusion and political messages anymore that they completely forget.. guess what.. to make an ENTERTAINING movie with a GOOD STORY. Superhero/Sci-Fi is th exception and about the only movies anyone pays $ to see anymore.. doubt it.. go back and look at the top movies every year.. only a few outside the genres mentioned sneak through.

2nd- I can't stand "prequels".. any of them anymore (of course I like Star Wars.. well.. simply because it's Star Wars, and it kind of started the whole prequel thing on a grand scale. I've said it before... I just don't like going into a movie where you already know the plot ending/overall outcome and know that the main character/characters are put into a fight, or a suspenseful situation, AND YOU ALREADY KNOW THE OUTCOME IN THAT THEY SURVIVE. You take that whole HUGE suspense factor out of the equation.. it's like stepping into a movie with about a quarter of the excitement.

Time travel/alternate reality- Have a trouble with this one also as I feel it's usually used as a copout (with movies where time travel are the main theme like a Back to the future). I call it the "Superman conundrum". When you take ANY situation and can simply turn back the clock.. again.. this takes away any/all suspense. Best friend dies.. turn back the clock, Your love interest dies.. turn back the clock, etc. NOW the only debate is "oh, so an entire city dying doesn't deserve turning back time, but your love interest dying does.. well, now your just a self-centered a hole. Now the only argument debate turns into what deserves turning back time and what doesn't.

Oddly enough, about the only time this really worked with me was in the new Star Trek movies , where they created an alternate reality. I'm not nearly as much as a Star Trek fan as I am a Star Wars fan, but I like the new ST movies and REALLY liked the original ST movie. This was an exception due to the franchise being as HUGE as it was, this was one of the better ways to create moving forward. I just don't want to see it done over and over and OVER now.

Reaction score
Interesting, an all Female cast? Might be good.

I agree though, I don't feel a reboot was necessary. Especially one that deletes only half the franchise. lol

Genesys wasn't that bad, ad they could have built upon that. But I guess a reboot was inevitable given the age of the Franchise, and the stars.
Yet that's what I felt Genesys was, a reset kind of.

Reaction score
I didn't even realize it was an all-female cast LOL :p I thought that was a skinny John Connor in the middle. LOL

it looks like Cameron has NOT learned his lesson. he was criticized for his attempt at creating "strong female" characters.

his version of "Strong female" has always been , to give the character male traits.

for T2 he stripped sarah connor of ALL femininity , in his attempt to create a "Strong female" [/irony]

^^ this looks like 1992 all over again. it looks VERY dated.

(he should have consulted Patty Jenkins :p Cameron's Version of "Femininity" is almost 30 years past its 'best before' date) LOL

he seems pre-judged to view male traits as 'strong' and female traits as 'weak' -- therefore -- the only way for him, to create a 'strong female', is to turn her INTO a man. :(

but.. in the end.. I suppose it's better than KK's Version -- SHE can only make "Strong females" by surrounding them with "Weak males". ROFL! :p

(Patty Jenkins FTW)

Last edited:
Reaction score
just saying.

one of these promo shots shows "Strong Feminity"

the other is DEVOID of "feminity", and instead, depicts "strength" via male characteristics.

(the one in the middle is dressed exactly like Wolverine).

@ Cameron : dude , WTF..!?

(re: "strong" --- that word doesn't mean what you think it means) :p LOL

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
Genesys wasn't that bad, ad they could have built upon that. But I guess a reboot was inevitable given the age of the Franchise, and the stars.
Yet that's what I felt Genesys was, a reset kind of.
Genesys was intended to be a soft reboot and relaunch a new Terminator franchise but that didn't quite work out which was a shame because it was a decent start to a possible new franchise . At least Dark Fate continues on from T2 (tough order) and isn't another complete reboot, sigh.

Reaction score
I hope I eat my words, but I can't imagine this being any good. And that comes from someone who enjoyed the first half of Genesys...

Isn't Cameron involved though? So maybe...

Last edited:
Reaction score
If I remember the original ending for T2 showed a more happier ending that was cut and replace with the rolling road. So it sounded to me that T2 was going to be the last one.

Reaction score
not sure if I will see it in a theater but I will definitely see it. at some point.

GNT

Reaction score
Looks promising as a sequel to T2, lets face it nothing will ever come close to how good that film is no matter what they do but I do like what I see so far (and no douubt will be better than the original T3).

Reaction score
I dunno, I was interested in this one but that teaser just looks bad. Where is John? Is Arnold only a cameo? Was anyone asking for an all Linda Hamilton Terminator flick?

And that boy-haircut Terminator is just basically "girl Marcus".

Reaction score
John is in it, different actor. No word on if Arnold is just a cameo but with Cameron back involved probably not. But you said it correctly - it's a teaser and the film isn't out until November, we'll see a lot more in the coming months. Great to see Hamilton back.

And since this is taking place after T2, Marcus never happened.

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Personally, I love the use of liquid metal over the endoskeleton, one of the few things T3 actually got right. I thought the T-1000 was just too improbable, what with the entirety being liquid metal rather than just the "skin".

GNT

Reaction score
Personally, I love the use of liquid metal over the endoskeleton, one of the few things T3 actually got right. I thought the T-1000 was just too improbable, what with the entirety being liquid metal rather than just the "skin".
Thinking about it, yes it would make more sense for the liquid to attach and stick to the endoskeleton but we'd have been robbed of the T-1000 going through bars scene then.

This film just needs to be really good so that we continue to get good Terminator films down the road. I didn't mind the last 2 anyways, I'm happy with what we've got.

Reaction score
Agreed...0 interest after seeing the trailer. Who are these people anyway? The whole thing just looks embarrassing, and the CGI was horrendous.
I dunno, I was interested in this one but that teaser just looks bad. Where is John? Is Arnold only a cameo? Was anyone asking for an all Linda Hamilton Terminator flick?

And that boy-haircut Terminator is just basically "girl Marcus".

Reaction score
I was kind of thinking the same. Other than Hamilton and Arnie coming back, the rest looks IDK. Odd.

Reaction score
I’m just not personally excited for this movie...as much as they’re throwing around Cameron’s name, I heard he never visited the set once.

Reaction score
just saying.

one of these promo shots shows "Strong Feminity"

the other is DEVOID of "feminity", and instead, depicts "strength" via male characteristics.

(the one in the middle is dressed exactly like Wolverine).
Yeah, I don't see how it's "pro-woman" to imply that the only way to depict a strong female character is to erase all sense of femininity and make her act more masculine. That's actually a very dinstinctly anti-woman message.

Anyways, the second trailer of this film does look better, but I'm not sure I'm interested. I thought T2 wrapped up the entire storyline really well and no other sequels have been necessary. Also, I don't believe that the Terminator story is strong enough of an idea to just keep rebooting it forever.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Only positive reviews can sway me into seeing this. This franchise is more miss than hit now.

Reaction score
Didn't do anything for me, personally. I thought it looked cornball at best with a mixture of "Trying to hard" PC politics. In retrospect, Terminator should have ended at T2.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
I actually dig the latest trailer that has shown up online, I'm looking forward to this one.