Temple Of Doom Fans

Reaction score
I just google 'Grail Knight Last Cruade' and found this. https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Grail_Knight

That info is also in the movie through dialogue. We see the tomb of one of the brothers in Italy.
Yeah, I saw that and I know the movie dialog. Last Crusade is not only my favorite Indy movie, but my favorite movie of all time. I was looking more for references from actual history, if there are any.

I don’t mean that all to condescending, btw. I appreciate the link.

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that and I know the movie dialog. Last Crusade is not only my favorite Indy movie, but my favorite movie of all time. I was looking more for references from actual history, if there are any.

I don’t mean that all to condescending, btw. I appreciate the link.
You're looking for info on the actual 1st Crusade. That makes a lot more sense! It's not condescending at all.

There is lots of info on the Crusades out there. He's a simple start on wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Crusade

And to keep this about temple of doom here is info on the historic Thuggee cult.

Reaction score
You're looking for info on the actual 1st Crusade. That makes a lot more sense! It's not condescending at all.

There is lots of info on the Crusades out there. He's a simple start on wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Crusade

And to keep this about temple of doom here is info on the historic Thuggee cult.

Yes, BUT specifically about Sir Richard and his brothers, which was more to answer the question posted by someone else haha.

Reaction score
Reaction score
So re-watched Raiders last night...I've seen it probably 100 times, but admittedly it's been a few years. I wanted to bring up some favorite moments that don't often get talked about. Things that really make the film stand out as a masterpiece, little quirky things that stuck with me.

1. For some odd reason, there's a line that always makes me laugh. It's a real throw-away line, but it's more so the delivery Harrison gives. It's when he and Marion are entering the streets of Cairo and the monkey runs off, to which Indy offers her a date. As they walk off, she asks "What's this?" and Indy replies "It's a date. YAH EAT 'UM!" with this almost silly child-line tone. Makes me chuckle every time.

2. I love the whole atmosphere of the headpiece reading. The suspense of will he or won't he eat the poisoned date. Then once it's revealed, the shot from above he ceiling fan of the dead monkey...so ominous. "Bad dates..."

3. I absolutely adore everything about Toht, but maybe my favorite of all is when he seemingly pulls out this bizarre torture device...and it's just a coat hanger. "Now...what shall we talk about?"

4. The entire map room sequence doesn't get enough attention. I always get chills.

5. I adore the silhouette sunset shot of Indy and the crew digging for the Well of Souls.

6. When Indy is pushing the giant stone out to escape the well of souls, I always notice that when it lands you can see the shadow of it bouncing, revealing it's clearly rubber or foam or something. While technically a mistake, I find it kind of charming.

7. During the fight with the German Mechanic, right when the fight starts, I always liked how...when you watch the fight, Indy clearly knows he can't beat this guy in a one on one. So what does he do? He tries to cheap him a number of times. At first he tries to trick the guy into thinking there's something on the ground and then kicks him. He bites him. He throws sand in his eyes. I mean, when you really look at the fight...Indy gets pummeled. He's a punching bag. It really is so much more interesting and suspenseful than most action film fights because it feels like there's real stakes. Indy isn't close to winning this.

8. There's this small moment in the truck chase where, when in the truck with the Nazi driver, an Arab falls on the windshield...and both Indy and the German stop fighting for one second, look at each other, and laugh. I LOVE LITTLE MOMENTS LIKE THAT and the Indy films are filled with them.

9. A LOT complain about this, but I actually really like that he...somehow...gets to the island via the submarine. It's never explained and is seemingly impossible and yet...it feels SO serial adventure or radio drama to me.

10. Another small moment I love is once Marion is being lead off the submarine by Belloq there's an armed guard there too...and he's ALL bandaged up. Big time! Must have been one of Indy's truck chase victims. You wouldn't even really notice unless you knew to look for it.

11. So often do you see heroes in films disguising themselves as the villains troops, but I loved the idea of Indy taking the first German out...and the suit doesn't fit at all. HA! I could so see that happening more often than it fitting!

12. I'm sure others know about this, but I can never UNSEE Belloq swallowing the fly.

Re-watching Doom tonight and will add my favorite not often talked about moments tomorrow. Then Crusade tomorrow.

EDIT:

Okay, screw it, I just watched Doom now because, well, pretty much everything around me has been or is being quarantined/shut down and I'm bored out of my mind. So here's some stuff I haven't mentioned about Doom.

So first on my Doom agenda is, I have a sincere question: I've encountered two interpretations of the scene when the Thuggee is killed by the rock crusher. I always took it as even Indy thought that's too cruel and was trying to help him...but I've also seen it interpreted as he simply was using him to pull himself up to the catwalk via the rope the Thuggee was holding being also caught in the roller. I really can see how it can be taken either way. What's your take?

I always remember this throw-away line where Short Round is riding and talking to the baby elephant, saying how he's going to take him back to America and they'll join the circus and how the elephant is his best friend. As a huge fan of elephants (and Short Round for that matter) I just think it's super cute. You really have to listen close for it.

This brings me to Short Round. Has it EVER been explained in extended cannon whatever happened to him? Not only is he not in Raiders, Crusade, and Skull, but he's never even mentioned. Now I must admit, he's written very stereotypical. "Sounds like fortune cookie," really? REALLY? He knows karate. But I can't deny, he's so freaking charming in my book. Some really heartwarming scenes with him like when he burns Indy, "Indy, I love you," and when he's being whipped or when Indiana hits him...it's heartbreaking.

Mola Ram is such a unique villain not just among this series but just in general. He's almost got a tinge of horror villain in his character. I remember reading an old Robert E. Howard Conan story called People of the Black Circle and I think that was a heavy influence on Mola Ram. In it, there's some dark sorcerer that rules a sort of cult and at one point, to a victim, he simply states "Your heart...is mine" and his foes heart rips out of his chest and flies into his hand. It's also interesting to note that he appears VERY late into the film and really doesn't have much screen time at all.

Did anyone else notice that the British Captain is the same actor who plays Grady in The Shining?

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. For some odd reason, there's a line that always makes me laugh. It's a real throw-away line, but it's more so the delivery Harrison gives. It's when he and Marion are entering the streets of Cairo and the monkey runs off, to which Indy offers her a date. As they walk off, she asks "What's this?" and Indy replies "It's a date. YAH EAT 'UM!" with this almost silly child-line tone. Makes me chuckle every time.
A lot to respond to here, but simply had to comment on this. I chuckle every time, too, and have seen Raiders numerous times. I often find myself saying it along with him while viewing and is one of the things I say periodically from my bag of random quotes.

Reaction score
Something I noticed only recently in Raider of the Lost Ark. When Indy is talking to Marcus about the Ark and what happens to it after he brings it back, it's pretty clear Marcus is lying about it being in a museum. He either knows or largely suspects exactly how things will go if Indy recovers the Ark for the US government.

Reaction score
I've been setting up a retro game system using a Raspberry pi, and I loaded up the old Temple of Doom arcade game. I used to love playing that as a kid in the arcade. Still need to set up the control scheme. Hopefully, I can get it all working 100% tonight. 🙂

Reaction score
I also love “Ya eat ‘EM!”

Indy definitely lets the Thugee get crushed for the same reason he lets the Mechanic get chopped up by the airplane: he can’t beat him.

Reaction score
So re-watched Raiders last night...I've seen it probably 100 times, but admittedly it's been a few years. I wanted to bring up some favorite moments that don't often get talked about. Things that really make the film stand out as a masterpiece, little quirky things that stuck with me.

4. The entire map room sequence doesn't get enough attention. I always get chills.

5. I adore the silhouette sunset shot of Indy and the crew digging for the Well of Souls.

9. A LOT complain about this, but I actually really like that he...somehow...gets to the island via the submarine. It's never explained and is seemingly impossible and yet...it feels SO serial adventure or radio drama to me.

12. I'm sure others know about this, but I can never UNSEE Belloq swallowing the fly.
Totally agree with you on 4 and 5.

For 9, in the Marvel comic adaptation, he ties himself to the periscope with his whip. The sub never submerges and stays at periscope depth given the Nazis have command of the water at this time. Seems plausible to me.

#12 - never noticed that before until I watched it two weeks ago. I was like - wth, did he just eat a fly? too funny! But you know, we've probably all swallowed a bug at one point in our lives.

Reaction score

Totally agree with you on 4 and 5.

For 9, in the Marvel comic adaptation, he ties himself to the periscope with his whip. The sub never submerges and stays at periscope depth given the Nazis have command of the water at this time. Seems plausible to me.

#12 - never noticed that before until I watched it two weeks ago. I was like - wth, did he just eat a fly? too funny! But you know, we've probably all swallowed a bug at one point in our lives.

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit: Belloq did not actually eat the fly (well, actually Belloq in the Indy Universe did. Paul Freeman, however, did not). It flew away, but Spielberg thought it was humorous, so he removed a few frames to make it look like he swallowed it!

Reaction score
Despite that, he still goes to bat for Indy at the end and insists it go to the museum and be studied.
I think Marcus does that because he supports Indy and knows it's the right thing to do. But Marcus knows the outcome. There is an element of theater when he goes to bat for Indy. I think he and Indy were still compensated for the adventure. They didn't get credit it. Which is for the best.

Reaction score
Marcus is an odd character for me. He's so minor and appears VERY competent in Raiders, but you cut to Crusade and he's very bumbling....lovably so....but it almost feels like a different character. Maybe he just never gets enough screentime in Raiders to realize he's somewhat absent-minded at times,

Reaction score
He's the same in LC as he was in Raiders up until he has to go out into the world. He only starts acting dopey once he's in İskenderun. In the college scenes, at Henry's house and even in Venice he definitely seems like the same old Marcus. He strikes me as one of those guys who is very competent in his element, i.e., the world of academia, but who is uncertain and nervous when thrust out of it.

Or, crack theory here; since İskenderun scene is after the Venice one(s), maybe that blow to the head from Kazim messed him up. XD

Anyway, he does still have a few nice moments late in the film, such as his warning to Donovan. I like their conversation. Marcus is sassy in it.

Donovan: Care to wet your whistle, Marcus?
Marcus: I'd rather spit it in your face. But as I haven't got any spit--
Vogel: Must be within three or four miles. Otherwise we're off the map.
Donovan: We're on the brink of the greatest archaeological discovery in the history of mankind.
Marcus: You're meddling in powers you cannot possibly comprehend.