Tales from the Crypt

Reaction score
I just got seasons 1 through 4 at Target a couple of weeks ago. Anyone use to watch this show?

Some of my favorite episodes are the one with Lea thompson, one with christopher reeves and a couple of others I can't think of right now.

Reaction score
i use to watch it, as well as tales from the darkside and the modern twilight zones. but honestly i can never remember whats what. when i have memories of an episode i liked i can never remember which show it actually was.

Reaction score
Bumping this ancient thread to comment that I recently started watching TFTC for the first time (on the DVD sets) in chronological order - I recently finished the 5th season. Never had HBO back in the day, so wasn't able to see the show when it was originally on (or in re-runs).

Wow - this is an extremely twisted, sick, and funny (in a morbid way) series. Back in the 200X's, I read some of the the original 1950's iconic EC horror comics (TFTC, The Vault of Horror, etc.) via the excellent EC Archives HC Editions (reprints). And, the show is definitely a modernized (as of the late '80's/'90's) update of the grotesque & extremely well-done comics.

It's hilarious seeing the corpse-like Crypt Keeper introduce & close each episode (something similar was done in the comic); the animatronics/effects used to "animate" this creature are excellent - at least by late '80's/early-mid '90's standards.

Also impressed by the caliber of well-known (and some lesser known) actors/actresses on this great show. I.e., Demi Moore, Malcolm McDowell, Bill Atherton, the late Paul Gleason, Tim Roth, Andrew McCarthy, Mariel Hemingway, Whoopi Goldberg, John Rhys-Davies, James Remar, the late Bruno Kirby, Teri Garr, Bruce McGill, Beau Bridges, etc.

Some of my favorite episodes (so far) have included:

-D. Moore plays a greedy gold-digger who, due to taking "advice" from a fortune teller - marries a grotesque man who's really into her - thinking that she's going to become wealthy when he dies. Things don't work out as she planned, however - LOL.

-A prison executioner loses his job because of cut-backs, and then decides to take his anger/frustration out on criminals. Interesting & disturbing story, with an ironic ending.

- A greedy man (McGill) enlists the aid of his own wife (Garr) & his mortician/doctor brother (Kirby) to make it look like he's died in a robbery gone bad - all so he can cash in on a life insurance policy & live in luxury on an island resort....or so he thinks - LOL.

-"Yellow" - definitely one of the best episodes of the series, with amazing sets/battle scenes. Set during WW I in Europe, a lieutenant is accused of cowardice (for retreating from the enemy) & has to be punished. Kirk Douglas, Dan Akroyd, and Eric Douglas (Kirk's son) star. I'm a big WW I buff, so any modern film/TV show set during this time period is interesting to me; the attention to detail re: the trench warfare scenes, outfits, etc. were stellar. The final scene was quite sad, but not at all unexpected.

-Joe Pesci plays a con-artist who decides to scam two wealthy, reclusive twin sisters whose father died mysteriously a while back. He romances them & convinces them (falsely) that he also has a twin brother that spends a lot of time out of the country. So, he then sets it up so that he marries both of them, by using the "twin brother" ploy. And, he thinks he has it made - until he realizes (too late) that he scammed the wrong people...LOL.

-J. Stamos plays a low-level criminal, who has hooked up with a much older, extremely jealous female mob boss; she always has a small entourage of "enforcers" with her at all times (Frank Stallone (Sy's brother) stars as one of the gangsters). JS is also having a secret affair with a much younger woman. When he is found out by the jealous mob boss, he & the young woman are taken to a deserted clearing - and he is told that he needs to take her out...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally finished TFTC - excellent horror/satire series! It's too bad I missed it for so long, but better late than never.

The final S07 (1996) was especially great, and one of my favorites. This particular season had an exclusive UK cast/setting, and featured early roles of the late Natasha Richardson, Ewan McGregor, Daniel Craig, etc. Some of my favorite episodes:

-McGregor played a living zombie, who along with his living zombie girlfriend caused havoc by robbing/stealing/etc., and then moving on when they'd gotten their fill; they could do almost whatever they wanted since they couldn't be hurt/killed (due to already being dead). However, soon after they met their match - a vicious vampire - LOL

-Craig portrayed an allegedly legitimate advertising "artist" to get his foot in the door at an exclusive ad agency, but his ulterior motive was that he was the "advocate" for a bitter ex-employee who had been apparently wronged by the agency years before - and Craig was planning on "sabatoging" projects, etc.
However, as it turned out Craig was being played & set-up by both the agency & the alleged ex-employee, and was actually being used as the "guinea pig" for a mind-control/virtual reality "product" that the agency was testing - LOL. Very unexpected ending to a great episode

-One of the oddest episodes of the entire series was the final one of S07, which was a truly bizarre (even by TFTC standards - LOL), disgusting, and twisted animated tale which combined the three little pigs nursery rhyme & Frankenstein mythology. Wow - what a truly #%$#%-up cartoon - ha ha. AFAIK, this is the only animated episode of the series.

Reaction score
If you liked "Yellow" check out a movie from 1957 "Paths of Glory" directed by Stanley Kubrick and stars Kirk Douglas. I am 100% percent certain that "Yellow" is based off this movie.

Reaction score
If you liked "Yellow" check out a movie from 1957 "Paths of Glory" directed by Stanley Kubrick and stars Kirk Douglas. I am 100% percent certain that "Yellow" is based off this movie.
Thanks for the info. I saw Paths of Glory many years ago on DVD; I remember it being a great WW I-set film, and much of this was a courtroom drama that centered around one of the characters being accused of cowardice in battle. Now that you've pointed out the connection between the film and the great TFTC episode "Yellow" (possibly my favorite of the entire series), I'll try to watch the film again soon - keeping this in mind.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Back then in the early 1990s i remember watching some episodes of Tales from the Crypt when it came on HBO. the first season was pretty gory especially the first couple episodes of "Season 2"

The other episodes i dont remember at all or pretty much missed out on due to us family going on better things to do such as vacation family trips etc.

Reaction score
I swear, I watched every episode of this show as a kid, but the only one I can recall is the one where they sawed Joe Pesci in half.

Reaction score
The only episode i remember watching from Tales from the Crypt on HBO back in the day were these episodes

the Bobcat Goldwait Don Rickles ventriloquist episode
the cop and the criminal handcuffed together out in the desert
the lumberjack love triangle
the Morton Downey Jr haunted house episode
the gamblers episode of Lance Henriksen and the other guy. classic episode
the conjoined twin brothers episode where one of them wanted to be separated