Switching domes on an R2

Reaction score
I have a few R2's with really great domes but poor decals, and vice versa some with good decals but poor domes.

Is it possible to switch domes without knackering the figure? Has anyone ever unscrewed the philips head screw to remove a dome and reattach it?

Be good to hear if this is possible, because I could probably Frankenstein together several really nice C9 R2's!

Your humble servant, Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Reaction score
It's possible and easy to do, i had to open mine to glue his leg back on and it came back together just fine.

Reaction score
Cheers gerrit, does it also work on sensorscope and pop-up saber R2's? I know they're slightly diff in design.

Anyone unscrewed an R2 then let me know!

Reaction score
Yes, it can be done easily, but if you're considering re-selling at any point, there is an ethics question here as well, as something like this should be disclosed before a sale. ;)

Ian

Reaction score
Yes, it can be done easily, but if you're considering re-selling at any point, there is an ethics question here as well, as something like this should be disclosed before a sale. ;)

Ian
Meh, I don't think that needs to be shared. Selling a restored classic car with original replacement parts still is classified as original isn't it? Now refurbished parts or non original parts is a different story. Would you do the same thing if you replaced the weapon? If that's the case, I'd bet 80% of the "complete" figures out there should come with a disclosure. Weapon not original, but authentic.

Edit: sorry missed the ;) emoticon. You weren't really serious.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, I was serious, and I bet if you look around, you'll find plenty of people who agree that this isn't really ethical if it was to be resold. It's not the same as a weapon, as you legitimately have to take it apart to restore it. Kinda like if you were swapping heads or limbs. Most people would probably want to know.

And classic car restoration is a completely different thing. ;)

Ian

Reaction score
Ian,

A different thing though it may be, Classic car restoration has even more scammers who try tricks than our hobby.
I'm with Robby on this, some dude in Hong Kong screwed it together all that time ago and re-assembling it isn't a big issue. It was pot luck what part he grabbed back in the day and as long as you don't tinker with the sonic weld, you would be hard pressed to detect swaps anyway. It would be best not to worry.Honestly, If I had 5 imperial Commanders and swapped heads on 4 of them, and then asked you to pick the one I didn't swap, I beleive you would struggle seriously.
I pull dirty R2's apart to clean them all the time. The solid dome R2 in my collection was made from 3, I picked the best dome, best clicker, best body and 2 best legs, the other 2 were sold off and I don't beleive myself a bad man, because it was still vintage 1977 product. Who cares? Nowadays I would swap domes to make a nice R2 to sell and then customise the dud. I know how to swap all the limbs, but would stop short, because you can run serious risk of damage and I agree, that is unfair to pass on. I agree with swapping limbs and heads, because you can't simply do that with a screw-driver (Well for the initial figures' heads and limbs, anyway) The heads with the post-neck are a little bit different.
I guess If I had an At St driver with a chewed head and mint body, and another one with a missing hand and mint head, I'd swap the heads for sure. It's vintage product, going onto vintage product and there is no damage to the figure (aside from the chewing) I see that as win win. You could sell that without mentioning anything and still be ethically correct. To think that no-one has ever done it before is simply naive.
The ships/playsets, vehicles etc are a prime example. A 3 legged At At can be repaired with a 4th leg bought here or on ebay making it workable, displayable and sellable. Do you ever see the add state, "broke it's leg 5 year ago, but replaced it with another"?
As I look on my vehicle collection I can say, without hesitation, appology, embarrassment or shame that I have doctored about 60% with either replacement parts, or just to tinker with the electrics to get them to work. As a result, I am proud to say all my vehicles, with the possable exception of the sandcrawler, work a treat.
Don't get me wrong, Ian, I am against repro weapons and stickers etc and totally and wholeheartedly agree 100% with you on disclosure in those events, but vintage for vintage swapping is fine in my book in the case of an R2 or R5 unit or a head swap on a later run figure. Really, how is that a bad thing?
Also, Collecting Star Wars figures and Restoring Classic cars are beyond doubt two of the second best ways to remain poor known to man kind. (The 1st is marriage) They are more closely related than I think you realise. They both give joy and both cost hefty money to do properly. You may not have to fuel or register your collectables, but I never got laid in the back of a toy At At.

Reaction score
Just think about swapping a normal head on a LL toros because the original LL head is worn! Of course this must be mentioned!

Also there is a lot of variant collectors out there and same goes for the coo collectors. If you switch heads you may "create" new variants that shouldnt exist! Dome molds can be different, as there is lots of different coos and lots of different stickers. Also some certain srews go with certain coos.

I totally agree with Ian here. And Im serious too!

BTW: Car restoring has nothing to do with restoration..its more renovation. The ethics are completley different! No restorer in the world would just completely repaint a da Vincis painting because it has some "flakes". I know its used for cars, but honestly its totally wrong in the 21th century!
On a sidenote cars are more "technical cultural goods". In this case its always more important that these do actually "work". The only point where I can see a good base for a analogy is repairing a X-Wings mechanic because the induction motor is defect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If they are exactly the same variant I wouldnt mind having one in my collection or swapping the head myself. As for disclosure to a buyer, Its always the fair thing to do even if it may scare off a buyer.

Reaction score
.Honestly, If I had 5 imperial Commanders and swapped heads on 4 of them, and then asked you to pick the one I didn't swap, I beleive you would struggle seriously..... but vintage for vintage swapping is fine in my book in the case of an R2 or R5 unit or a head swap on a later run figure. Really, how is that a bad thing?
unless the Imperial Commanders were exactly the same variant I believe I could tell. R5 are different for latter releases so yes this is a bad thing : http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1033554/
As for vehicles there are fewer variants so swapping an AT-AT leg may be OK but it's certainly not OK to repair a Skiff for example with a modern Skiff landing gear without disclosure nor is it OK to make one of the Canadian Landspeeder versions out of a Toltoys version & Kenner version.

Reaction score
I have bought parts to complete vehicles (im currently looking for a Slave 1 ramp for example), and I have also bought weapons to complete loose figures.

These are 100% vintage items and I have no problem 'reuniting' a loose weapon and a loose figure to create a whole one.

I've also swapped around yellowed cockpits on X Wings with clear ones and that kind of thing, and although I haven't yet swapped around a dome on an R2 as long as it's a "like for like" swap between vintage parts then I wouldn't feel i'm being unethical.

I've probably already been person-listed though because of this thread...

WHERE'S BOWSPEARER WHEN WE NEED HIM!

Reaction score
I have bought parts to complete vehicles (im currently looking for a Slave 1 ramp for example), and I have also bought weapons to complete loose figures.
See you swanky MOC and MISB collectors don't know what it's like 'out there' for us loose guys... it's a tough world for loose collectors. We get jipped all the time with repro weapons, incomplete vehicles and playsets, and yes - R2's with dinged up domes.

Sometimes a loose collector has to do what a loose collector has to do. And if that means taking the chin guns off a discoloured At At and sticking them on one with pristine plastic then, dagnammit, that loose collectors just got to do it!

Don't preach on ethics from behind your MISB AFA graded desk, until you've been out there on the front line sifting through '100% vintage Star Wars collections' that are actually filled with items that came from a McDonalds Happy Meal and axes that once belonged to He Man rather than a Gamorrean Guard, because the life of a loose collector is not an easy one.

So don't stone a loose collector for swapping domes on an R2. Just understand what drove him to it. And (if you're feeling generous) perhaps donate him one of you MOC R2's instead. It's xmas. Show some charity to the loose collector guys.

Your humble servant,

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't get *****y. You asked, and now don't like the answer.

And for the record, I collect both MOC and loose, and while I've had my own collection since I was a kid back in 1977, I got back into it back in 1995, where I found lots of figures I didn't have previously. I am one of the biggest anti-AFA guys you'll meet, so I guess that part of your insulting name-calling doesn't apply, eh? I know damn well what it's like to have to guess if my items are repro or not, and had to learn it before I even had reference places like here.

I've already said it's different when you're putting weapons together with figures, although it's inexperience (or not caring) with regards to variants why we have so many people having trouble getting, say, a Luke Stormtrooper with the correct black blaster. Or getting a correct match of color variants in a Bib Fortuna staff with the proper COO figure. Swapping out body parts on figures might be acceptable, if you know 100% that what you have are two identical figures with zero variation between them. And it would still be nice to let a future buyer know that his 'pristine' figure has been taken apart and Frankenstein'd back together with 2 or more figure's parts. Would I spot the switchout on the above example of 5 Imperial Commanders? Probably not, because I don't focus so heavily on minor variations - but there are plenty of people here who do, and if you sell to one of them, you'll hear about it.

Does it happen? Of course it does. But that doesn't necessarily make it acceptable.

Ian

Last edited:
Reaction score
James and Wbobafett do make good points that I have to admit, I hadn't considered.
Allow me to clarify too, James, the 'modern range' ships do have interchangeable parts with the vintage stuff and crossing those together is a no-no. Agreed.
As for the variant collectors. 'sigh' I really don't get into it myself. I can get how The Big head/small head Han and the hair variants of the Earlier lukes can be valid. Even subtle shape differences in something like head shape, like the Imp Com and Leia Bespin I can understand. Matt/metallic finishes like IG88 or 21B, again, I get it. It's not my thing, but I get it. I'm not here to try and validate interferance with that. I was talking like for like.
I also get the COO variants and would never knowingly mix that up for those among us who consider it important.
Some of the 'colour variants' are nothing more, to me, than the difference between freshly stirred paint and the paint from the bottom of the tin. (As a painter, I can tell you there can be several shades difference) They may be nothing more than 'John' mixed the paint on tuesday and "Bob' mixed it on wednesday, but it is what it is. Again, no offence intended and I can understand Wbobafett's missgivings at the possability of excitedly finding undocumented variants only to discover it's one or Dr Runnahmuks frankenfigures. As for my mashed R2, my collection isn't going anywhere and my Frankendeetoo will remain here.
James, If I swapped heads on 4 out of 5 Imp Commanders with a Hk Coo and the Narow head, (i.e. the same*) you'd struggle, to pick which one I reckon. If you are that good, you need to come to my place and check all my figures!!
(* I know, I just KNOW, someone will come up with a variation that I didn't mention, so I reserve the right to be made wrong again, however, the essence of the riddle is the same)
Wbobafett, I totally disagree with you about the car analogies. Well, what you say about it working is correct, but then the same can be said for an At At. If the bult lights and those chin guns rack back and forth with that annoying whine, that's what I call the complete and working article and it adds massive value and demand for it. a 1975 Ford LTD with 4 working electric window motors and functional A/C is a lot harder to find than one without, so the P/W and the A/C compare quite well to the chin guns, I think. They are both the relevant vehicles 'archilles heal' so to speak, and therefore, the ones with parts working abviously are rarer and more desirable and valuable.
Over time, weaknesses in both cars and toys are revealed. The spring mech that holds the wings open on an X wing, the bomb on the Y wing and the top cannon, the hatch gun on an AT ST and the remote on the Sandcrawler to mention a few articles that are often damaged or missing on these ships. These issues plague our vehicles and can take some of the shine off what is an awesome collection to be enjoyed. At the same time, cars of a certain era have a way of all failing in the same way bar a lucky few examples. a 1982 Caprices cruise control module will most likely fail or already have failed by now. The excitement of the hunt for a functioning one and the satisfaction/elation of locating and installing one can be directly compared to restoring that hatch gun to your ATST or finding the elusive bomb for the Y wing, or like me, the top gun for the B wing I spent over a year hunting.
You have to appreciate that in vintage SW collecting we have a finite amount of material. No more is being made. (repros aside, because they are evil) The same for these 'classic' or 'collector' cars. The prices of certain articles in both fields confirms this.
"Car restoring has nothing to do with restoration"???? Come on. did you proof read that? "It's more renovation"? Seriously?
I can appreciate a lack of knowlege in the field, but that statement is totally wrong.
My '75 LTD has a Vinyl roof. Not just any vinyl will do, it will need to be the original 75 era vinyl, just like a DT saber doesn't just go in any old Luke. Car RESTORERS are fastidious and fussy and everything that you are as a Vintage SW collector are and maybe even more. It might take me 4 years and huge bucks to locate and aquire the correct vinyl for the roof. The car will remain off the road untill that happens. That's restoration. Renovation would be, screw it, the vinyl is just too hard to find, forget it, paint the roof and lets be done. The difference is near enough is not good enough. That would be like what James mentioned, repairing a vintage skiff with non-vintage legs. Sure, it works, it looks correct from a distance, but any decent inspection will result in the subterfuge being found out. The original one will always win, even if the 'renovated' vehicle functions better or is no longer prone to failure like the 'genuine' one.
Here's how I see it, if my '75 Ltd was to be hit in the drivers door and I replaced the door with another IDENTICAL '75 Ltd drivers door (after I killed those responsable for the ding) my car is no less of a classic than it was previously.
If I change domes on a solid dome '77 R2 D2 with the dome from an IDENTICAL '77 R2 D2, I beleive my R2 D2 is no less of a vintage piece.
There are renovators out there who don't care and are out to make a quick buck any way they can. they exist in both fields.They suck huge furry ones in both fields too. I'm not a renovator, I'm a restorer.
I don't touch up figures. I don't trade in repro weapons knowingly. I may, through ignorance have swapped a cape on a jawa and mixed up the correct cape for a lge eye to a small eye, but I don't consider that detrimental to our hobby.
I don't consider part swapping, when done with care and respect to be detrimental either.

Runnahmuk

Reaction score
Ian_C at ease my friend, i'm just having some fun. T'was merely a comedy rant!

This is after all a forum where grown men get together to discuss in detail the minutiae of Star Wars toys - we need to have a sense of humor about it!

Reaction score
Unless the COOs are EXACTLY the same, don't swap out the R2 head. Also, like your Avatar says... "Don't Be Hasty!" There are plenty of minty R2s out there. ;)

Reaction score
@ Runnahmuk:

You can write books about your cars and how you see it. In the european countries car "restoration" has nothing to do with REAL restoration. The ethics, the procedure, the approach and the sientific aspect totally lack here!! Restoration is sth. you have to study on a University! I've seen no need to tell you, but maybe it helps you to know that I am a restorer of art. And I know very well what Im talking about! Car "restoration" is nothing more then renovation...thats a fact! (Also I already admitted that the term is used for that!).

Again: just touching up the missing parts is restauration. Normally colors are used that differ heavily from the original colors (talking about the adhesives) to have the possibility to remove them easily without damaging the original colors in future! Not one original part is removed ever in restoration. All changes are documented in words and pictures.
And now think of your car! Its like a house...you pull everything out, got repaired, got it changed and do a new coat of paint! Renovation......for sure.

Last edited:

HWR

Reaction score
I actually did switch the dome of my childhood R2-D2 sensorscope figure. A lot of the chrome had been work off the dome and then in the late 1990's a former school mate asked for my help to sell his Star Wars toys. He said I could upgrade any figure, I wanted and keep the ones I was missing in my own collection. He had an R2-D2 sensorscope with a nice dome, but the sticker was missing from the body, so I did switch the domes. I kept both figures, or actually I gave the one with no sticker and worn dome to my grandmother, R2-D2 is the only figure she liked.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I gave the one with no sticker and worn dome to my grandmother, R2-D2 is the only figure she liked.
"Here you are Grandma, a present from your favourite Grandson."

"What's that my dear? I don't see too well these days."

"It's a vintage R2 from my Star Wars collection. REAL MINT condition."

"Oh, what a kind boy..."

HWR, I just think it's awesome that you gave your grandma some vintage Star Wars! Can we make her an honorary Scummer?

Reaction score
HWR, I just think it's awesome that you gave your grandma some vintage Star Wars! Can we make her an honorary Scummer?
Actually this begs the question, who is the oldest Scummer?

"When 80 years old you reach, collect Star Wars you will not."

Reaction score
Is switching an R2 Dome any different to switching a vinyl cape on a Jawa or a DT Saber on a Luke? As long as it is like for like does it really matter?

Reaction score
Is switching an R2 Dome any different to switching a vinyl cape on a Jawa or a DT Saber on a Luke? As long as it is like for like does it really matter?
IMO yes, it does matter! Now lots of people actually know which kind of Jawa or Luke has to go with these accessories! But people dont know that there is a few dome and sticker variants which actually go together!

Ill have to admit this is not up to date! But thats how stickers can look like! Its just an example for what can be accidently "created" by not knowing!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wboba, wow that's a great post. Particularly interesting to see that the droid factory 3 legged R2 has a unique sticker, because being a self-applied decal (and also one that's real hard to find pristine) I imagine that would be a popular one to try and pass off with a repro decal.

However as long as all the domes are the same (I know the Early Bird one on the hard top is supposedly darker) I guess it doesn't matter if you swap them. The COO is after all on the body - same as the decal - so you're never going to have a situation where decal and COO don't match.

Reaction score
My childhood R2 had a great dome, but pretty beat-up sticker. So I bought another R2 with a nice sticker and not-so-great dome and swapped them. Much happier now. :)

HWR

Reaction score
He he don't know about my grandmother being an honorable member. :) She gave me that figure for my birthday back in 1984 or 1985, or actually, I did buy it myself, but it was a gift from her, therefore it was natural to give it back to her. It stayed on her refrigerator from the late 1990's until her death on the 27th of December last year (at an age of 98½). I also gave some figures to my dad, he had my childhood Darth Vader (which had his head glued back on and the cape were repaired with duct tape), a Luke Bespin (I got that figure for free as a bonus in a deal here on RS) and an Admiral Ackbar (actually a no coo variation). He also had some modern figures like, Zam Wesel (both versions), Watto and Dexter Jettset (he sometime quoted the line "Whatta you know", so I thought it would be funny to give him the figures of the two character, who said that line. My dad used to brag about his unique and rare collection (he also had a Hulk Hogan figure, a green alien, a Sax playing prune and some other funny figures), to make fun of me, when I was speaking about rare variations. ;) Sorry for getting of topic, but just got carried away with memories, damn I miss them both now were getting closer to Christmas.

Back on topic, thanks for the info Wolff. The domes, I switched are identical so I guess both had the same stickers originally.

Last edited:
Reaction score
IMO yes, it does matter! Now lots of people actually know which kind of Jawa or Luke has to go with these accessories! But people dont know that there is a few dome and sticker variants which actually go together!

Ill have to admit this is not up to date! But thats how stickers can look like! Its just an example for what can be accidently "created" by not knowing!!
I did say switching like for like. But I must admit it doesn't seem so easy now I have seen your R2 decal chart :)

I'm going to check my R2's now to see if anyone has messed about with their domes :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
However as long as all the domes are the same (I know the Early Bird one on the hard top is supposedly darker) I guess it doesn't matter if you swap them. The COO is after all on the body - same as the decal - so you're never going to have a situation where decal and COO don't match.
I havent precised it, because I havent had the time to do a research. But its very very neraby that i.e. the solid dome R2 has 3 different molded domes!! The MIHK, HK and TW should have different molded domes! Even if the differences are very tiny and maybe only can be seen by "totally nuts" persons like me, or better: are only for interest to "those" people :D; swapping can "create" new versions (trying not to call these variants ;) )

In general every "main" coo (only the "originlas" not counting the altered ones) has a different mold! I checked this on lots of characters and when i have the time to do so I find them....till today every time I tried to! So give me some time: R2 is next ;)
(Although with all the headswapping this one will get difficult. Didnt know it was so popular!)

Reaction score
Wbobafett,
You are something else, man! I've seen your 900+ figure limelight in the other forum and can only asume they are all different and now the R2 decal sheet and suddenly I realise you are 100% suited to your job. This is probably a risky call, considering where we are, but I think you would have to be the most attentive person on this forum. I'm not being rude or offensive, I just had no idea how deep some folks got into this hobby.
I have 'some' variants that are purely elementary and only because my collection calls for doubles in key figures for certain displays, but man! I am not even thinking about going down your path. My wife won't even entertain the discussion.
Here's something else to consider, is there a variant in the sensorscope itself? if so, I'm guilty of another crime.....

Reaction score
Runnahmk said:
Here's something else to consider, is there a variant in the sensorscope itself? if so, I'm guilty of another crime.....
Lol...yeah could be!! I also never checked, but it really could be!

I never thought you were rude!! I know my point of view is extreme! But on the other hand it explains why you only should swap what belongs together (or leave it as it is).

By a quick view today morning I found one clear dome differnce on the solid domes...the others are much harder to spot...and even more harder to explain! What I found out too was that the legs are 100% different and that there is 4 molds on these:
- MIHK (big HK)
- MIHK (small HK)
- HK
- Taiwan
(I have a few R2 of each coo)
All 4 "groups" have legs different molded and all legmolds belong to a certain coo!! Thats for the legs....now getting bleed yeses again by regarding the domes...LOL.

Reaction score
Wboba, I have an R2 question. Is there a specific 'Early Bird' R2 COO? (I bought one recently claiming to be a 'dark blue' early bird dome but comparing it to my other solid dome R2's the colour really doesn't look very different).

Would be great if you can verify what COO the Early Bird R2 has?

Reaction score

Good points W. could some of those variations just be production defects when the decal was printed?

Reaction score
Just bumping this thread for some current day discussion as the state of the hobby has evolved since 2011.

What are thoughts about swapping domes? What would you do if you bought a 'swapped dome', minty R2? Would you feel ripped off or would you roll with it? Hypothetically, of course... :cool:

From this thread, there is some significant passion on one side of the argument and seemingly a dispassionate disinterest on the other side of the spectrum. Personally, I feel more towards the second camp - I just don't get that excited by this type of detail.

Reaction score
It depends on the buyer. I used to work in an antique store, so I got to know the nuances and hangups of several different types of collectors. In some hobbies, altering the condition seriously affects the value. For instance, antique silver is expected to be tarnished, and most collectors want that aged patina on it. I've seen many antique silver pieces sold by sellers who thought they'd get more at auction if they polished it up...it rarely works out in their favor, sometimes cutting the actual value in half. Likewise, restorations can hinder value in some fields. Antique military gun collectors are willing to pay a lot less for guns with mismatched numbers on the parts, even when the mismatched numbers are often a result of period repairs in the armory.

I never really cared about the condition of my vintage figures, as long as they weren't yellowed with loose swinging limbs. But I was a kid relying on flea markets and yard sales to find them, so I was just happy to find them

I also don't think the car argument holds much water...because buyers know that they're not going to find a mint classic car without some degree of restoration, cars were meant to be driven. I don't think many serious buyers are under any delusion that the parts are all original.

A lot of opinions also depend on the value of the items being collected, and the budget of the collector. Let's face it, loose vintage figures aren't the most valuable collectibles...with the exception of a few extremely rare few like vinyl caped Jawas and double telescoping sabers. Some collectors will pay top dollar for mint pieces, and some collectors on tight budgets are just happy to have an example. I've seen outrageous sums spent on single pieces by coin collectors, stamp collectors, militaria collectors, glass collectors, etc, etc, etc. The most anal collectors I've ever met are high-end toy collectors, who seem shocked that coins struck 200 years ago were actually circulated.