"Swimming with Sharks" eBay article / Newsweek

Reaction score
Re: OT: \"Swimming with Sharks\" eBay article / News

Thanks for sharing. As mentioned before in other threads, there are more and more scammers using ebay.

Reaction score

Yes, thanks for sharing... very scary information. I would go bananas if I lost $10k+ to some crook online.

Reaction score

Hey,
What is really messed up is that fraudulent buyers can now scam legitimate sellers. I can't believe that guy created a phony escrow account and got that diamond ring. I always thought of the scams as being the other way around, with the buyer being scammed. Definitely scary stuff.

Rick

iHu

Reaction score

Kaneda_01 said:
Yes, thanks for sharing... very scary information. I would go bananas if I lost $10k+ to some crook online.
I know, that Patik watch story was nuts! And just to say "F You!" they sent her a ripped up catalog. Talk about adding insult to injury.

I'm amazed I've got about 100+ transacts and they've all gone fine. Luck, prudence, and a good eye pays off...yet I'm still waiting for my first "gotcha", seems almost inevitable.

Douglas

Reaction score

Yes the phishing scam hinges on the seller being careless when responding to email though.

The fact is that neither eBay or PayPal will ever send an email to anyone asking them to confirm their account information. If sellers understood this they would be safe. Unfortunately many people believe anything they read in an email that looks somewhat official.

The bottom line is if anyone ever gets an email from PayPal or eBay claiming their account is 'in review', or warning them that their account may have been hacked, they need to forward that email to either spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com Never respond to, or follow the direction given, in such an email.

EDIT: I wanted to add that email isn't the only danger. Keep your computer free of 'spyware' as well. Often spyware can be used to hyjack hyperlinks and deliver a pop-up screen that appears that looks like the real eBay or PayPal login screen. So keep your computer spyware-free by scanning for and removing spyware regularly.

If something seems amiss it probably is. If have any doubts browse straight to the site in question (www.ebay.com or instance) and change your password!

Reaction score

I read in a computing magazine the serious advice to NEVER EVER use JavaScript with ebay sites, because these are highly vulnerable to evil scripts which fake things.

Reaction score

I got an email from "PayPal" about a month ago, confirming a #200 women's razor sale and a button to go to PayPal if it was not a legitimate sale. It wasn't, but I checked my bank account and there were no pending charges and nothing on my PayPal at all. I forwarded it to PayPal's spoof address and they confirmed exactly what I thought: completely fake.

Reaction score

I have gotten several PayPal phishing emails over the past year - they have gotten pretty legitimate looking. I always forward them to PayPal...

Reaction score

I get one or two letters a month. A legitimate letter will always say "Dear [your full name]" at the top. If it says that your account is in danger of being locked and you're worried, just log in by going directly to PayPal.com. If the letter is legit, whatever they're emailing you about will show up on your welcome page.

Always send any phishing emails to spoof@PayPal.com. They always respond no matter what kind of letter it turns out to be.

Following these basic guideline, nobody should be fooled again.

Reaction score

My girlfriend sold a mobile phone a couple of months ago to a guy who was registered in Norway. He offered her more than double the finishing price if she would send it to an address in Nairobi as a birthday present for a client of his. I was out of the country working but she forwarded his emails to me and instantly alarm bells started ringing (I'm a security consultant and have worked all over the world, a lot of scams on the internet stem from African countries) but the guy said he would pay by PayPal so I told her to go ahead and send the invoice.
Sure enough she got an email from Paypal confirming payment, however, before they could release the funds she had to give them a dispatch number which you can only get once you've sent the package. I told her to forward me this e-mail and the address was "paypalinternational@america.com", she got three of these "receipts" in 20 minutes. I checked the guys bidding history and he'd bought 8 other mobile phones and other accesories that same day. I told her to send the e-mail to spoof@paypal.com, report it to ebay and tell the other people of our suspicions. Sure enough the guy had tried it on with one of the other sellers before.
These e-mails look authentic and it's easy when someone is offering you that much money to let greed blind you. But you've got to be careful because, unfotunately, there are some dodgy little [expletive deleted]'s out there.
I also get several fake paypal e-mails a month, I've had the one with the payment for the watch going out, I've also had one where someone had sent me $5000 but I had to "authenticate" my details due to the amount.
I send all these to spoof@paypal.com and if I ever need to access my paypal account I never use an e-mail link, I go through either ebay or put the address in the address bar.